• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf comes out in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
images

Almost forgot how excited I was for this game. We first saw it three years ago at the unveiling of the 3DS at E3 2010. It looked like this back then.

AnimalCrossingInline_1276704229.jpg

It released in Japan late November of last year, and I know there was a GAF thread for those importing the JP version, a thread which was the epitome of my envy!

It's typical that, this being my most hyped 3DS game, it becomes the AC title that takes the longest to get localized (discounting maybe the original). I think it's a good example of why Nintendo should announce closer to release dates, the wait becomes unbearable! With this as well, we finally get every 3DS title that was announced at that event! (Bar Saints Row/Assassins Creed...)

So yeah, one month until our 3DS Activity Logs become huge green bars, and Summer only becomes a season in which to catch a Shark with a wooden fishing rod.

Videoneon

Wow...people are really excited.

I do know other people who can barely contain themselves though. It may be the first Animal Crossing game I buy, but we'll see.

Labrys

Extremely hyped for it!
Kinda broken on what version to get. I have it with one day shipping on Amazon, so if it gets here before the 9th, I'll stick with cartridge, but if it doesn't I might do the digital download at midnight.

Can't wait to get my hands on the 3DSXL bundle I pre-ordered when I get home from work that day.

And then a week later, I'll get to spend five hours on a plane with it.

It's gonna be fantastic.

Wow...people are really excited.

I do know other people who can barely contain themselves though. It may be the first Animal Crossing game I buy, but we'll see.

I've heard that from a lot of people. I feel excited on their behalf, but I mean it's definitely an acquired taste. It's a game where you make your own fun, in a lot of ways. Purely sandbox.

"I caught a sea bass! See? Bass! (Why do I keep saying things like that?)"

I mean, I'm excited.

"That couldn't BE more bass..."

I love it so much.

Shit, I forgot, thanks to me buying Luigi's Mansion 2, a kind GAFfer donating his Fire Emblem code, and my brother giving me his Mystery Dungeon code, I get my most hyped game of the year for the sweet price of £0.00. Thankyou based Nintendo.

Robin64

Pretty damn excited too. While most Animal Crossings have been simple iterations on the same basics, this one really feels like Animal Crossing 2 for the first time. The stuff to do, build, collect and see has just increased tenfold.

Goli

My most anticipated game of 2013! Definitely gonna buy digitally on midnight as soon as it comes out. Wild World was easily my most played game on DS and I can't wait for New Leaf now. By the way, is anyone making the OT? If not, I'm willing to do it.

Robin64

Meant to say, definitely going digital on this. I absolutely need it to always be in the 3DS, plus then I can see if any green spots appear on the app right away too.

Khaz

I wish I could buy it in advance on the eShop so that it silently starts downloading while I am at work.

Drago

Quite excited, as it will be my first AC game all to myself. Getting the wonderful XL when it comes out :)

My most anticipated game of 2013! Definitely gonna buy digitally on midnight as soon as it comes out. Wild World was easily my most played game on DS and I can't wait for New Leaf now. By the way, is anyone making the OT? If not, I'm willing to do it.
I'm pretty sure someone's already claimed it. For future reference, there's an OT Dibs thread that I've missed before.

Is it possible to play online with a review copy?

I'm pretty sure it'll be possible, as long as there are others to play with. If it's anything like WW though, you'll need to have them on your friends list. I'm also not sure if it's global online play or restricted by region. I imagine the former knowing Nintendo.

As to whether you're allowed, won't that sort of thing be specified in your NDA?

Kallor

Last time I was excited for a AC game was like 2005 when the DS game came out and I never played much of that. Excited as hell for this though, kinda want that XL.

Just got my 3DS XL yesterday and this comes out a week before I'm going on vacation and will be on a plane for 4-5 hours each way. Can't wait.

Labrys

I'm pretty sure it'll be possible, as long as there are others to play with. If it's anything like WW though, you'll need to have them on your friends list. I'm also not sure if it's global online play or restricted by region. I imagine the former knowing Nintendo.

Youtubers like LinAndKo have shown that it's possible to visit Korean towns with a Japanese copy, and I believe recalling someone with an English review copy visited a Japanese town to celebrate Boy's Day, and it was translated to English.

Pastry

Banned
Really unsure if I'm going to buy this. Last one I played was the first DS game. On one hand I want a new 3DS game to play, on the other hand I don't know how much I'd enjoy the game. It's been a loooong time since I'v played AC. I guess it's be something relaxing to play as I watch TV.

Robin64

Yeah, online is global. As mentioned in interviews, some regions have unique things and if you want them, you need to find a way to get them from someone in that region.

depward

Every Animal Crossing has been my crack. Now that I've broken the age of 30 and my life situation is much, much different than it was even when I played Wild World, I'm kind of wondering how well New Leaf will hold my attention.

Still excited, nonetheless.

I've got my eShop account loaded up for this.
It'll be the first time I download a retail 3DS game instead of going physical, but I can't think of a better title to start with.

Really unsure if I'm going to buy this. Last one I played was the first DS game. On one hand I want a new 3DS game to play, on the other hand I don't know how much I'd enjoy the game. It's been a loooong time since I'v played AC. I guess it's be something relaxing to play as I watch TV.

It's got a bunch of new content compared to the DS version. It feels more like a proper iteration, compared to the very lazy Wii sequel.

Every Animal Crossing has been my crack. Now that I've broken the age of 30 and my life situation is much, much different than it was even when I played Wild World, I'm kind of wondering how well New Leaf will hold my attention.

I'm 20... hoping I'll be able to get my girlfriend into the series with this one. If she likes Candy Crush, she can find a way to like this damnit.

As to whether you're allowed, won't that sort of thing be specified in your NDA?

Apparently, only SpotPass is not available before the official release date. I'd like to find some village to visit, though!

Goli

I'm pretty sure someone's already claimed it. For future reference, there's an OT Dibs thread that I've missed before.

Boo! Oh well, I'm sure he'll do a good job.

I'm in a similar situation. Back when I played Wild World I had much more free time since I was in middle school and then high school around the time I got it, yet now I'm in uni and have much more limited game play time. I'm hoping to basically fill all my bus rides and other such things with New Leaf play time.

Schmitty

It's got a bunch of new content compared to the DS version. It feels more like a proper iteration, compared to the very lazy Wii sequel.

I'm 20... hoping I'll be able to get my girlfriend into the series with this one. If she likes Candy Crush, she can find a way to like this damnit.

like what out of curiosity? i haven't been paying attention to this game

edit: last one i played was gamecube version

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I loved the original, but bought Wild World...played it for a month or so.

And when I bought City Folk, I never even opened it.

What makes this one capture the magic of the original?

I'm so ready. Upgrading to an XL for that LE unit. I've bought all the AC games but this will be the first one I truly play since the Gamecube one. The DS and Wii versions left me wanting and I barely played over a few hours.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Animal Crossing and Kamen Rider or Last of Us and Kamen Rider. Decisions, decisions.

...Probably Animal Crossing.

Khaz

Yeah, online is global. As mentioned in interviews, some regions have unique things and if you want them, you need to find a way to get them from someone in that region.

There might be problems with local multiplayer though, due to region locking.

Can't wait for this. I mean, I've pretty much been waiting for 3 years now.

Also, doing the OT for this. It will be grand.

Can't wait. It's gonna be craaaazy.

like what out of curiosity? i haven't been paying attention to this game

edit: last one i played was gamecube version

- You're the Mayor! You get your own office and assistant. You have to make decisions in the town.
- The Island has returned (from the Gamecube version, but it's been absent in the recent DS and Wii games.) Also, you needed a Gameboy Link Cable to even experience it on the GC Version
- There's a new "shopping center". It's expanded outside of the traditional Tom Nook and Able Sisters clothes shop, and there's now things like a gardening store, hair salon etc.
- Lots of other stuff I'm sure but I've been trying not to spoil myself :)

This game looks boring. is it?

Maybe... depends on whether you find repaying mortgages through fruit selling appeeling.

Domino792

I played the hell out of the original and Wild World absorbed my life when it came out. Never tried City Folk. Cannot wait for New Leaf

I loved the original, but bought Wild World...played it for a month or so.

And when I bought City Folk, I never even opened it.

What makes this one capture the magic of the original?

You're now the mayor of the village. This adds a lot of new things in the picture. You can build public works (bridges, benches, pic-nic park, and many other stuffs); you can choose when stores should be open.

Then StreetPass seems to be cool (you can see houses of people you met); the Dream World is cool as well: you visit a village of a random person in a dream, and you can do whatever you want without affecting his or her village).

The village is bigger and more well structured imo. New stores, new characters. It's definitely a bigger and better experience overall.

The beginning is a bit slower than usual though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom