• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animated PNG - A tutorial for lossless comparisons (Death to the GIF!)

Norml

GUI based version is available here
  • Set delay to 3000 msec
  • Untick lossy

Trying this one for now and having some problems. The delay you recommend is slowed down,maybe I'm not applying it?.And how does selected region work? It seems to do it,but it's not getting the first image.

edit- or was that delay recommended just for screenshots compare?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
At that point you should be using uh, video formats to show videos
Exactly. We're already suffering from gifs being too big. It may be an unpopular opinion but I'm honestly not a fan of sunhi's long gifs. A animated gif joke should tell its punchline within seconds. A bonus if it loops well.

I mean one big gif is alright but when you have multiple large file size gifs (lets say 10MB) on one page at 100ppp you could risk having to download almost a gig of gifs (see those post your favourite gif threads)

3MB is a reasonable limit I believe.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Trying this one for now and having some problems. The delay you recommend is slowed down,maybe I'm not applying it?.And how does selected region work? It seems to do it,but it's not getting the first image.

edit- or was that delay recommended just for screenshots compare?

3000 msec is 3 seconds. I recommended that as a good comparison time (the whole purpose of this thread). Feel free to change it around if you're using it for motion.

Animated PNG is obviously superior to an animated GIF, but particularly so in animations that have lots of color gradients.

Here's a couple of such examples of mine.

ibcnVRUEf4mYE6.png

i3CA0yQY3m63k.png

866.gif

Damaniel

Banned
I think it's really sad that the primary animated image format in use today is an ancient relic that was designed in a world where 256 colors on your screen was a lot. Unfortunately, as long as Internet Explorer offers no APNG support, nobody will use it.

I wish they would though - those example images that -SD- posted are wonderful! If anything, maybe at least some of us will offer links to APNG alternatives when posting comparison GIFs in the future, especially when comparing next gen stuff.

(Also, animated GIFs probably would have gone away a long time ago if the PNG developers hadn't insisted on pushing such a bloated animated format - MNG - instead of something that acts more like animated GIF.)

Norml

3000 msec is 3 seconds. I recommended that as a good comparison time (the whole purpose of this thread). Feel free to change it around if you're using it for motion.

Thanks.

Anyone have a clue as to my other question about the selected region.

looks like this with the first image not getting cropped.
GMc3wY4.jpg

Animated PNG is obviously superior to an animated GIF, but particularly so in animations that have lots of color gradients.

ibcnVRUEf4mYE6.png

i3CA0yQY3m63k.png

Animated gifs can be composed of a nice enough set of colors when chosen adaptative. The most important thing about aPNG seems to be with transparency, where we have an alpha channel, instead of a key color. Downside of apng would be the filesize and the fact you don't get to know quickly if a picture is in animated form.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Chrome users can just install an extension to enable support for them. What's the problem?

The problem is that you have to expect that everyone you want to view it will have installed an obscure extension to have support for them.

I can't imagine why anyone would use Chrome in a GIF heavy thread on NeoGAF anyhow. Firefox is the superior experience there. (And everywhere else, for me...)

Dude, you're super out of the loop here. Chrome handles GIF's really, really well now, and Firefox doesn't always display GIFs at full speed so Firefox is actually the worst of Chrome, FF, and IE when it comes to viewing GIFs.

CTLance

No extension needed on my Firefox.. I'm seeing everything with no extra effort.
Only Chrome needs the extension.

For those among us with a bit more refined tastes, there's always GIMP ("open source photoshop") with the GIMP extension pack. This will install a sizeable animated image support package (GAP) and also an APNG plugin, among a slew of other useful things. Makes things so much easier.

woromatt

Neo Member

ibcnVRUEf4mYE6.png

i3CA0yQY3m63k.png

These might be the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Thank you for making my day

When I click the link to download the APNG-Animemaker (the RAR), it takes me to an internal view of the file via Google. I try the drop-down arrow on the right, pick "Download", and it still gives me a 404.

Right-click saving the RAR link just tries to save an HTML page, too.

So, how exactly do I get it?

LOLDSFAN

Wow I've always heard of animated .png files, but have never looked into it that much. Those two by -SD- look fantastic.

tensuke

Works on Firefox Mobile (android) as well! Wish aPNGs would take off, I hate using GIFs when I need transparency. :(

onilink88

Still doesn't work for me in Chrome.

Odd. If you have the plugin in the OP, I can't see why it wouldn't work... Sorry man, treading new ground here, so I have no idea how to help. :(

Observations on Chrome on my end:

my APNG doesn't work at all EDIT: Works now, for some reason.
Dennis' works if you open it in a new tab (Dennis': 1000x625, 6.07 MBs, smaller in file size than -SD-'s, but his display fine)
-SD-'s work fine

So, I take it that the plugin doesn't detect an APNG if the file size is too large and/or has too many frames (mine: 64 frames, 31.7 MBs)

Second test...

x02_by_onilink888-d6sgk36.png

Okay, this one (480x270, 44 frames, 21.8 MBs) works.

I'm experimenting with that... what do people see when the browser does not support it? Reading the thread, they only see a still PNG right?

The quality is astounding, they destroy every gif i have seen. But the size is unacceptable imo.

kmg90

Ah good old Google Chrome still having troubles handling GIFs a image format that was introduced in 1987...

What makes you think they will add APNG support anytime soon?

Chrome is becoming the new IE.... with every new version..... Still amazing how they manage to hide from the public how many vulnerabilities have been reported in the past few years..

Arkanius

Ah good old Google Chrome still having troubles handling GIFs a image format that was introduced in 1987...

What makes you think they will add APNG support anytime soon?

Chrome is becoming the new IE.... with every new version..... Still amazing how they manage to hide from the public how many vulnerabilities have been reported in the past few years..

Except Firefox performance is in the gutter (with Aurora) and Internet Explorer is a joke in terms of extensions.
Google has 0 competition

P.S

I use all browsers on a rotation fashion to keep inside how each other's performance and features are in comparison

Bear

Edit: nope doesn't seem to work for me, its just a still image.

http://i.minus.com/iBecKxTMkgZhG.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Is this supposed to match the gif you posted earlier? I see a slideshow with only a handful of the original frames.

If that's intentional, then the animation works fine for me (Firefox).

-SD-

Banned
Speaking of "Death to the GIF!"... (sorry for the off-topicness of this)

I tried out this GIF to HTML5 thingy: http://gfycat.com

http://gfycat.com/CrispDismalGeese

20.7MB GIF got down to 1.5MB HTML5 video with a ~14:1 compression rate. Depending on the GIF there can even be a 50:1 rate. Quality naturally drops a LOT with colors getting washed out. Too bad forums don't support MP4 embedding (not really a good idea, to be honest!). There's also no animated PNG support or an option to just upload a video or an image sequence (for best quality).

atbigelow

APNG is cool and has been around for years. However, I don't think it's gonna really get any more supported than it already is.

1) PNG compression is good for still images. But realize that a good looking APNG contains 32-bit frames with basic zlib compression. You'll never get acceptable filesizes for long clips of higher resolution clips.
2) With HTML5 having a built-in <video> tag and codecs like H.265 and VP9, you'll get way better compression with minor quality loss.

Google is pushing WebP, but until IE supports it, it's pretty much a non-starter.

Also for a fun history lesson, go look up MNG. It's a precursor to APNG and was even less supported.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
There are huge APNG benefits in stuff like this.

A GIF version of this looked absolutely atrocious and was more than twice the file size. But, as an APNG, it looks pretty damned smooth.

(It will take a bit to load, it's a large file.)

proteus_day_longer_by_aloo81-d6yyj48.png

Top Bottom