• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime Vindicated at the Olympics. It's our time in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSlek

8b5d0485aa77eeccb2770369474d4ff31456105123_full.jpg
...this looks like a yaoi cover.

Forkball

Notice how it was old school anime and not some garbage starring little girls wearing bikinis. Even Japan knows that stuff is to worth showing off.

I do think there will be a Miku/hologram concert at the opening ceremony in 2020 though.

platakul

Banned
Notice how it was old school anime and not some garbage starring little girls wearing bikinis. Even Japan knows that stuff is to worth showing off.

I do think there will be a Miku/hologram concert at the opening ceremony in 2020 though.

babymetal or bust

random25

Callie Marie concert or bust.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think most folks at the Rio 2016 OT have already seen it, but for those who were sleeping during the closing ceremony and/or don't peruse the Gaming side, here it is (before the IOC takes it down/geoblocks it anyway because the IOC gotta IOC)

Vimeo
Twitter video

Honestly, even if you take the whole vidja/animu thing out of the picture (and it would be a mistake, it's rare to see a country embracing its popular culture like Japan) it's still a gorgeous video.

2Oq5ogJ.gif

YVaSQUv.gif

69p43CE.gif

GoW4vxp.gif

wXcxp7o.gif

Tokyo 2020 is already looking amazing and it's still four years away.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why did Funky Papa close his thread? I hope it wasn't the Banzai!? That was meant as a celebratory thing.

Edit: Cool

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder if they'll include any of their religion / mythology into the opening or as motifs.

I'll be there for sure :)
Japan + olympic win/win :)

Is there any preliminary schedule for the locations?
I'll have to prepare a schedule for my night stayings as well

KNT-Zero

I was laughing my ass off when I watched Mario's appearance. And they even put the music from finishing a level in SMB! Daaaaaaaaamn.

Azuran

Banned
Holy crap, I'm dying here.

So If we were to assign an anime to an olympic sport how would it shake out?

Boxing - Hajime no Ippo
Soccer - Captain Tsubasa
Basketball - Slam Dunk
Judo - Yawara

Are the ones that come to mind for me.

Beyblade - Beyblade

Won

And there I thought with all the news surrounding Rio, Russia and Quatar, Tokyo might for once actually provide a big sporting event, which isn't a total embarrassment for the human race.

I should have known better!

But cool video. Really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom