• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime Vindicated at the Olympics. It's our time in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie OD

olimpiadastokio2020a.jpg

I need t-shirts of these.

Ennosuke

Amazing video and show in the stadium. I think Tokyo 2020 will be amazing. I want to visit Tokyo for the games, seems like the perfect opportunity.

Playsage

Hoping that they are keeping the old school references for the actual event...
And what are the odds of Mario and Sonic actually presenting the real Olympics at the Opening Ceremony?

massoluk

Banned
Hoping that they are keeping the old school references for the actual event...
And what are the odds of Mario and Sonic actually presenting the real Olympics at the Opening Ceremony?

I'll bet on Mario (bigger in the west) and Doraemon (even bigger in the east)

GOOD anime, not the kind of anime that you'd be embarrassed to show to the general public. These are the anime that are already shown in multiple countries over decades, like I saw these when living in Saudi Arabia. The soccer one was massively popular around the world.

Eylos

Banned
There will be a road of roses then a cosplay of ligthning riding a horse will fire the olympic flame. She will say "i'm back" then will appear ffxvi on screen

Torokil

I can't wait until vocaloids show up at the ceremonies and the commentators of the world have to explain what the fuck is going on.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I can't wait for the "Escape explosions while dressed up as a mascot character" event at the 2020 Olympics

tZIAINi.gif

GejKDHD.gif

Meier

I was surprised Pikachu didn't make an appearance. Loved the visual play on words with the (MA)RIO magazine. Seeing Doraemon and Captain Tsubasa was pretty awesome but they're pretty niche here in the States so I can imagine most people did not recognize them. I think they both, probably Tsubasa especially, were quite big in much of the world though.

Senoculum

I was surprised Pikachu didn't make an appearance. Loved the visual play on words with the (MA)RIO magazine.

I loved the T O K Y O 2 O 2 O typography too.

There's also R E S I D E N T E V I I. and B I O H A 7 A R D.

Damn, they be real good at that....

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think most folks at the Rio 2016 OT have already seen it, but for those who were sleeping during the closing ceremony and/or don't peruse the Gaming side, here it is (before the IOC takes it down/geoblocks it anyway because the IOC gotta IOC)

Vimeo
Twitter video

Honestly, even if you take the whole vidja/animu thing out of the picture (and it would be a mistake, it's rare to see a country embracing its popular culture like Japan) it's still a gorgeous video.
Are those women voguing in 0:39? Because they look like it to me.

iiIIJtV.gif

Pose off confirmed.

Red Frost

Banned
Is this the first Japanese Olympics where anime has really pierced western pop culture? More curious about the lead up than the actual games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom