• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animes with awesome animation (plus a good story)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamerlane

Banned
Akira
Angel's Egg
Cat Soup
Dennou Coil
Franz Kafka's A Country Doctor
Mononoke
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise
Space Adventure Cobra
Tekkonkinkreet
You Are Umasou

Good suggestions. Also, OP should try:

Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse
Boogiepop Phantom
Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer
Tatami Galaxy
Little Witch Academy
Ghost in the Shell (movie)
Hyouka
Paranoia Agent

Death Note and Monster. I don't know if people like the animation of Monster, but to me it's good. Especially the story, it's interesting and I recommend people watching it. It's slow, but worth it.

7Th

>animes

1337106967159.jpg

It doesn't, which is why I left it off, but neither does it have very many flaws - and I think there is something to be said for the kind of understated consistency and stylistic coherency it carries, i.e., the low-key animation and heavy use of visual symbolism supports rather than distracts from the story being told.

Oh, I don't think the lack of animation harms Night on the Galactic Railroad in any substantial way, and the visual stylization of the film, the anthropomorphized cats, the simple yet surreal art, is effective at creating the desired atmosphere. But if you're looking for "awesome animation", there are better recommendations. (Admittedly, several of the recommendations other posters have made in this thread also fail to meet that criteria.)

7Th

Oh, I don't think the lack of animation harms Night on the Galactic Railroad in any substantial way, and the visual stylization of the film, the anthropomorphized cats, the simple yet surreal art, is effective at creating the desired atmosphere. But if you're looking for "awesome animation", there are better recommendations. (Admittedly, several of the recommendations other posters have made in this thread also fail to meet that criteria.)

I don't think the OP has any kind of standard himself, to be honest.

Savitar

Since Redline was suggested I'll go with something else that isn't the usual answers, Ultimate Hellsing and Black Lagoon.

It's stuff for those getting tired of the usual fare, great animation and enjoyable characters.

wonzo

Banned
CODE: BREAKER has some fantastic animation and a legit. good story once the (incredibly entertaining) goofiness of the first couple of eps rubs off.

iTUqByrGPAlT7.gif

rykomatsu

I might get crap for this, but the animation for Sora no Otoshimono is quite good. I don't remember how far they got into the storyline, but depending on that, the story ends up being pretty enjoyable too.

Also, the animation for Yamato 2199 and the revamps they made to the original story from the 70s also puts it towards the top of my list (admittedly, some nostalgia bias too)

lj167

Other people have mentioned them, but I'd second Hyouka and Fate/Zero. Also Wolf Children, Wasurenegumo, and Little Witch Academia.

I'd also recommend Nichijou, although that's far less story-driven. But the animation is excellent, and I like it.

NewFresh

Looking at was already mentioned... icarus-daedelus, hosannainexcelsis, and a few others have already mentioned some great ones.

I would throw in:

Jin-Roh
Catnapped!
Birth (AKA: Planet Busters)
Gunsmith Cats
Mr. Head

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd also recommend Nichijou, although that's far less story-driven. But the animation is excellent, and I like it.
I totally recommend this as well, but more if you're looking for something that's comedy/slice-of-life. Another good example, while not as great of animation yet still has some funny facial expressions, is Daily Life of High School Boys/Danshi Kokosei no Nichijou. Again, that's more if you want something simpler and comedic.

PolishQ

Am I the first to mention Tsuritama? One of the best looking shows of the past few years, and it has everything I look for in a story. Great balance of humor and heart, with a good dose of sci-fi mystery and drama (and plenty of fishing). Comes out on Bluray in NA in August.

Ultimadrago

Am I the first to mention Tsuritama? One of the best looking shows of the past few years, and it has everything I look for in a story. Great balance of humor and heart, with a good dose of sci-fi mystery and drama (and plenty of fishing). Comes out on Bluray in NA in August.

Tsuritama is a solid choice. The animation isn't always "really good", but certainly has its scenes. It does have a pleasant story to tell and more people should watch it.

Peterthumpa

Lots of great recommendations, thanks guys. While we're at it, I would advise everyone to give Gargantia a try. Really well done, full of colors and the story looks like a good one, just takes a while to pick up.

PolishQ

Tsuritama is a solid choice. The animation isn't always "really good", but certainly has its scenes. It does have a pleasant story to tell and more people should watch it.

Yeah, I guess there's nothing amazing about the animation if you just mean how movement is drawn; there aren't a lot of action scenes, but what's there is solid. However, the color design, backgrounds, and character designs are all top of class as far as I'm concerned. It looks great and very clean.

Yeah, I guess there's nothing amazing about the animation if you just mean how movement is drawn; there aren't a lot of action scenes, but what's there is solid.

There are some amazing moments of animation in Tsuritama though - a number of the fishing cuts and Takaaki Wada's episode 6 come to mind.

Sword of the Stranger in my opinion is the epitome of good story coupled with the most awesomely animated fight scenes ever to grace the world of Anime, many will disagree but thats my opinion.

jett

D-Member
Redline, Akira, and Steamboy are among the most visually impressive things you can watch, animated or not.

This is the trilogy of top notch animation quality in anime movies. Nothing comes close. Steamboy is probably as close as an animated japanese movie gets to a Disney film in the overall amount of animation frames.

Not much of a story in any of them, unfortunately. :p

Nichijou is amazing. Its the only anime series I've ever watched and half of the time I had no clue what was going on but I felt compelled to keep watching. Its awesome and ridiculously over the top with how great some of the animation looks considering the subject material.

Qvoth

i wouldn't put summer wars in here, it was very so-so imo
glad to see wolf children, redline, sword of the stranger and the others

i will recommend welcome to the space show
never seen this mentioned here too ; ;

Kad5

4359655.jpg

It's got action, a little bit of fantasy, Romance, and it's hilarious. On top of all that the animation is great. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom