• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian: 'What I Couldn't Say'

Status
Not open for further replies.

oni-link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tDbz_RyNHhk

Move to OT or lock if inappropriate

Pretty amazing at such a change in ones life all because you wanted to start a discussion about an issue in something as mainstream as video games

I don't know if I could live like that

Edit : Script of what she says for those at work

Edit 2: Apparently the channel hosting the video took it down, I'm not sure why, but there is a transcript of what she says linked above (or just look at post 300)

Edit 3: Found the clip in a longer video on the channel, click here to watch

Edit 4: So the original clip is back up, now with the comments disabled, so it looks like it was taken down because of the comments, link is here

paolo11

You know, I pray the harrassments against her will stop. She does not deserve the hate or the verbal abuse at all. It's ok to disagree with her points but sending her death threats or any type of verbal abuse is wrong.

joe2187

Banned
Could you give a summary for those of us at work?

Basically to all the people who've harassed her

go_fuck_yourself_cactus_disney.gif

"Screencap, report to FBI.." should not be apart of anyone's day to day unless that is your actual job of reporting online abuse. Fucking vile scum. Jesus those comments are the worst. Keep fighting the good fight Anita.

Fury451

Banned
I'm genuinely baffled as to why she inspires such blatant hate and vile comments. Nothing she says is that "radical", it's just a basic calling for equality and decent representation.

I really don't understand what there is to hate about that, especially to the point of death threats. Awful that she has to make a habit out of reporting comments now.

No, do not avoid the comments.

Look at them.

Agreed. It needs to be seen to be believed I think.

I really don't know who these people are, because anyone I know that games is a lovely person (no sarcasm), and accepting of any new ideas introduced into the medium, by any person.

Utterly disgusting to be under such scrutiny from disgustingly underqualified people where she feels in fear simply for expressing her view/opinions

Overside

Banned
Avoid the comments guys...

Look at them.

Look at them.

This is what the current state of our hobby has bred. This is the new generation that represents our hobby, formed by the media they consumed.

Look at them.

You want to change this, stop supporting what creates them. And actively rebuke it, and them.

Do not cover your eyes and ignore it. Anita sure as hell doesnt have that luxery.

paolo11

"Screencap, report to FBI.." should not be apart of anyone's day to day unless that is your actual job of reporting online abuse. Fucking vile scum. Jesus those comments are the worst. Keep fighting the good fight Anita.

I completely agree with you.

Damn, must she go thru this every single day? This needs to stop!!!

I'm genuinely baffled as to why she inspires such blatant hate and vile comments. Nothing she says is that "radical", it's just a basic calling for equality and decent representation.

I really don't understand what there is to hate about that, especially to the point of death threats.

Simply because she wants certain changes and change means bringing different things to the medium. Look at human history and people generally look at change with skepticism and/or anger. So what may seem rational enough to say you, and me, may be crazy in another person's mind.

Cincaid

A tragic story, and a must-see video for anyone who cares about gaming and women.

Also, I thought I was ready to read the video comments. I wasn't.

foltzie1

I really don't understand what there is to hate about that, especially to the point of death threats.

The internet is a vast place, so you can find a large number, if yet a small minority percentage wise, of people who cannot handle basic factual information and do not wish to look at their favorite activity with any amount of critical eye.

Mesoian

Look at them.

Look at them.

This is what the current state of our hobby has bred. This is the new generation that represents our hobby, formed by the media they consumed.

Look at them.

You want to change this, stop supporting what creates them. And actively rebuke it, and them.

Do not cover your eyes and ignore it. Anita sure as hell doesnt have that luxery.

That doesn't work though.

That has never worked.

It's the conundrum of how to actively combat online harassment. Most of the people who are posting in those comments know what they're doing and don't care that they're being toxic.

I really don't understand what there is to hate about that, especially to the point of death threats. Awful that she has to make a habit out of reporting comments now.

Extremism and hate, in all their forms, are based in ignorance and often paired with blatantly ignoring reality.

It's never okay, and it's never excusable. But people don't need reasons to hate. They just do.

I love that Anita is still out there fighting the good fight, but if I were her friend or relative I would be praying for the day she walks away from it. It is absolutely heartbreaking what she has to deal with every day. I can't even imagine.

DarkKyo

Those youtube commenters all seem like a bunch of stupid, panicky monkeys. So many kiddies are raised incorrectly.

It's been way past time to start outing these punks that send such vile threats for a woman just having a discussion about video games. If Curt Shilling can make it happen for those idiots that were sending his daughter rape threats and comments, someone can make it happen for Anita as well. I'm sick of this behavior having no consequences.

foltzie1

I love that Anita is still out there fighting the good fight, but if I were her friend or relative I would be praying for the day she walks away from it. It is absolutely heartbreaking what she has to deal with every day. I can't even imagine.

It takes a unique strong person to stand up to the vitrol and vile that comes when you challenge the status quo.

I would like to say that she is overreacting when she asks folks to not post where they met her if they happen upon her locally, but sadly it only takes one nut job.

Levito

Banned
That was really powerful.

What's most terrifying is she can pour her heart out about how she gets thousands of death and rape threats daily, and then the very comments section of that video is full of shitheels doing the very harassment she was just talking about.

fhqwhgads

That's the worst part. If she does walk away, then it means everything would all be for nothing. Gamergate has already made people leave the industry, if that happened to Anita then that would only empower Gamergate more.

jersoc

Oh? Hmm. I wonder if this true. Nope, it's not true. When you make false statements over and over expect criticism of those false statements. People say shit to each other online all the time. Fear mongering about it won't fix it. That's just society

It's not one person, its everyone who get they get a response from. Its how this works.

so no. The fact that you're on a board dedicated to gaming saying this shit means you are also part of it. Are you? Am I? I suspect the answer is no to both. So stop spreading their lies. Otherwise, what the fuck are you doing here? You say you don't want to be part of it. So don't visit it. By your basis, its guilty by association. So don't associated.

Fucking hell guys. Stop drinking the god damn kool aid for once.

foltzie1

RM8

This is still mind blowing to me. One year ago I wouldn't have believed this would happen, to this degree, as a result of a woman pointing out tropes about gaming. Some gamers are disgusting, subpar, non-functional human beings :(

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Look at them.

Look at them.

Uh no. This is the internet enabling morons to act like assholes. This is not new, it's not unique to gaming, and this is not meaningfully generated by the media they consumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom