• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Metroid 2 Remake (Project AM2R) |OT| Best Birthday Ever!

7threst

Having so mucht fun playing this. Would love to hear what people at Nintendo actually think about this game. But since the Metroid people love doesn't exist to them anymore they probably don't even see this as being based on their IP. :(

tornjaw

Since I've seen other people post images of maps/select areas I figure I'm good.

So, I'm stuck.
metroid2_01_zpsr03fje8a.jpg

I can't get past this part and return to the main map. I can't get enough speed to break through the wall.

Here's where I am, for reference. The area in the top, right that I haven't explored, after bombing around I believe I need the
super bomb
to break through.

If you don't want to spoil the how-to for someone, feel free to PM the replies. Thank you.

Pehesse

Since I've seen other people post images of maps/select areas I figure I'm good.

So, I'm stuck.

I can't get past this part and return to the main map. I can't get enough speed to break through the wall.

Here's where I am, for reference. The area in the top, right that I haven't explored, after bombing around I believe I need the
super bomb
to break through.

If you don't want to spoil the how-to for someone, feel free to PM the replies. Thank you.

That's strange, I don't recall anything particular about this part. Isn't there a ledge just outside the room that allows you to get a headstart, so you keep running into this one and hit top speed before the wall?

tornjaw

That's strange, I don't recall anything particular about this part. Isn't there a ledge just outside the room that allows you to get a headstart, so you keep running into this one and hit top speed before the wall?

There is a ledge, but I still have problems getting through. Maybe I'm mucking it up.

EDIT: Of course. Now I get through it no problem. Thank you.

Pehesse

There is a ledge, but I still have problems getting through. Maybe I'm mucking it up.

I'm a bit far from that area now but I'll see if I can't go back and see what's up if you don't figure it out by yourself in a few minutes!

EDIT: update down below, but the gist of it is: hidden block in the floor!

pswii60

I just started playing. Good stuff so far and I'm amazed this is a fan made game. I took some photos of the game running at 240p on a CRT, perhaps the perfect way to play this game if you have the right setup.

IW3pKW8l.jpg

WcccPjLl.jpg

qDyxfNml.jpg

7jMhJPYl.jpg

LjY2Hq6l.jpg

pFu1Dsvl.jpg
Some beautiful scanlines there.

Ultratech

Uh, so I never saw anything last night on my issue, so here's photo evidence:

Basically, so long as I have the Gravity Suit on, Samus is completely invisible.

If I Screw Attack or go into Morph Ball, I can see myself thanks to the Particle effects, but otherwise, I can't see shit.

dubc35

I just started playing. Good stuff so far and I'm amazed this is a fan made game. I took some photos of the game running at 240p on a CRT, perhaps the perfect way to play this game if you have the right setup.
Nice! How are you outputting it without input lag?

Eyothrie

Wondering if I could get some help too. I'm stuck here:

ZdNLsH5.png

rsuipWF.png

I dropped down to the left of this position, went through the pipe maze, got the missile tank expansion and the energy tank expansion. Screenshot shows me where the energy tank expansion was. I went back to where I dropped down into the pipe maze, and I can't get back out. It requires morph ball bombs, and I can't get high enough to place them let alone escape after they would detonate.

Any help here would be appreciated!

Pehesse

ZdNLsH5.png

rsuipWF.png

I dropped down to the left of this position, went through the pipe maze, got the missile tank expansion and the energy tank expansion. Screenshot shows me where the energy tank expansion was. I went back to where I dropped down into the pipe maze, and I can't get back out. It requires morph ball bombs, and I can't get high enough to place them let alone escape after they would detonate.

Don't you have the spider ball? You can just stick to the wall, climb to the exit pipe and bomb it. If you don't have the spider ball... then I'm not sure I see a way out, sorry :-/

Ourobolus

Banned

Spider ball...which you should have by now.

So I just got stuck:
Seems the game doesnt really want me to go out of this area through the entrance, as its a hard shinespark to do to exit (you enter with bombs throught the other side before getting the power charge), I still manage to do it though and its where the head is on the map. But I cant find any other areas were I could exit, or any other metroids to kill (even though the map still says 6 to find before the earthquake). As you see the map seems compeltly discovered.
Where you see the mark I put, there was a green door I already destroyed, but entering that part seems to need power bombs something I still dont have. Did I break sequence and didnt find them before? (Im actually breaking sequences all the time without noticing so it wouldnt surpise me).
Sow how do I continue? if I need to exit the area becuase everything is already done and you still dont need the powerbombs, why did they make it so hard to exit through the entrance? Or maybe I need to still do something in this area?

So, I'm stuck.

super bomb
to break through.

Hahahaha, exactly the same part as you. I could do a shinespark to get out though, but it seems the game really doesnt want you to get out like that. If you need to exit the way I did, is my first real problem with the game design in the game.

Pharaun

Absolutely loving this and I wish Nintendo had given it the Zero Mission treatment a long time ago. I tried playing the original on my 3ds and couldn't get into it so I'm glad I get to experience this version. The only negative isn't even about the game. The 360 d-pad is six types of ass for this game.

A
S
S
!

I really need to get a Bluetooth dongle so I can use my WiiU pro controller.

linkboy

Absolutely loving this and I wish Nintendo had given it the Zero Mission treatment a long time ago. I tried playing the original on my 3ds and couldn't get into it so I'm glad I get to experience this version. The only negative isn't even about the game. The 360 d-pad is six types of ass for this game.

A
S
S
!

I really need to get a Bluetooth dongle so I can use my WiiU pro controller.

Just pick one of these up. It's fantastic, and you don't have to deal with Bluetooth.

Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller Windows adapter

Pakkidis

To do a shinespark you actually need to jump in place while flashing - simply flashing isn't spinesharking (and if you jump while moving, you'll jump normally and conserve the charge)! So to recap: run to full speed, press "down" to conserve the charge, move to where you want/need to be, then stand still and press A/cross/whatever your jump key is to shinespark. You have a slight delay just before Samus launches into the shinespark to input the direction you want to go, so horizontal/vertical, and diagonal should be possible though I didn't try it here yet.

And if it works anything like Fusion/ZM did, if you shinespark and hit a slope, you'll start running again, allowing for multi run/charge segments. This is generally only used during 100% collection, but you never know, there might be devious tricks still lying ahead! (Just tested it, can confirm it works, as does all of the above, along with this: you can shinespark as the morph ball, too!)

So basically.... this: http://gfycat.com/WaryFreeHomalocephale

EDIT: whoops, top of the page. Well, uh, I'm taking a break at about 2 hours in, and so far, this is everything I was hoping this would be. It's extremely faithful to the original (or my memory of it, but since I replayed it a couple of months ago, it's pretty fresh) and the additions feel completely in synch with what it was going for. I'm honestly surprised at the level of quality here.

Thank you, really helped me out, now I know how to get other collectibles as well.

Zelias

Banned
As someone who has only played Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1, and hasn't played those in years, is this a decent jumping in point?

Pehesse

So I just got stuck:

Seems the game doesnt really want me to go out of this area through the entrance, as its a hard shinespark to do to exit (you enter with bombs throught the other side before getting the power charge), I still manage to do it though and its where the head is on the map. But I cant find any other areas were I could exit, or any other metroids to kill (even though the map still says 6 to find before the earthquake). As you see the map seems compeltly discovered.
Where you see the mark I put, there was a green door I already destroyed, but entering that part seems to need power bombs something I still dont have. Did I break sequence and didnt find them before? (Im actually breaking sequences all the time without noticing so it wouldnt surpise me).
Sow how do I continue? if I need to exit the area becuase everything is already done and you still dont need the powerbombs, why did they make it so hard to exit through the entrance? Or maybe I need to still do something in this area?

I'm on my way back to check it out, but here's what my map currently looks like, if it helps:

I'm fairly sure there's no trick to that part, you only need to speed boost from the outside, but someone else above had the same issue, so I'm heading back to see what's up!

Ourobolus

Banned
If anyone needs any help, here's a map I made of all of the areas up until the final approach before the final boss. I don't have ALL of the hidden missiles and the like, but it should be useful in general.

http://i.imgur.com/QFGpuJe.jpg

Recommend exploring on your own though :p

I'm on my way back to check it out, but here's what my map currently looks like, if it helps:

I'm fairly sure there's no trick to that part, you only need to speed boost from the outside, but someone else above had the same issue, so I'm heading back to see what's up!

Maybe I did it harder for myself then lol. What I did was kill all the pesky enemies with the shells that take a ton to kill in the ledge, run until I got shinespark, then fell and on the right moment made the charge to the corridor.
Seem more complicated than need for a simple area exit.

Pehesse

So, I'm stuck.

super bomb
to break through.

Maybe I did it harder for myself then lol. What I did was kill all the pesky enemies with the shells that take a ton to kill in the ledge, run until I got shinespark, then fell and on the right moment made the charge to the corridor.
Seem more complicated than need for a simple area exit.

That's the spot, right?

If so, then there's nothing special about it: a block in the floor, a bomb block at the end :-D

Link_enfant

I've finally reached the
Tower
Am I supposed to have the Ice Beam by now? I think I may have missed it for some reason!

That's the spot, right?

If so, then there's nothing special about it: a block in the floor, a bomb block at the end :-D

Fuck, and I used the charging part instead of bombing the floor lol
Still dont like that normally you hear an new earthquake to start a new area (by killing all metroids), and this is the first area that makes you exit becuase there seems to be nothing left to do, but just outside theres a lava zone that indicates you would need an earthquake (and kill the 10 metroids it says before tyou enter it) before exiting it.

Pehesse

I've finally reached the
Tower
Am I supposed to have the Ice Beam by now? I think I may have missed it for some reason!

In the original M2, yeah, but here, I think it's going to be the final upgrade, or close to, since all weapons stack together, instead of replacing the previous. I didn't have it in the Tower anyways, and didn't need it up to at least where I am!

Pehesse

Fuck, and I used the charging part instead of bombing the floor lol
Still dont like that normally you hear an new earthquake to start a new area (by killing all metroids), and this is the first area that makes you exit becuase there seems to be nothing left to do, but just outside theres a lava zone that indicates you would need an earthquake (and kill the 10 metroids it says before tyou enter it) before exiting it.

Yup - that's because the area extends a bit, and the actual entrance is a vertical corridor with a verryyy long bottom part full of Metroids that everyone seems to miss :-D Check the map I posted to see it, if you don't mind having a preview of what you need to explore! If you dislike it here, it was like that in the original, except you didn't have maps/local counters to help you, so it was double the confusion!

EDIT: Oops, double post, sorry! Thought somebody had replied in the meantime.

Akai__

People getting stuck in a Metroid game. Seems like the game is working like it's supposed to. :p

Need to stop reading the thread, though. Want to explore the rest of the game on my own.

Yup - that's because the area extends a bit, and the actual entrance is a vertical corridor with a verryyy long bottom part full of Metroids that everyone seems to miss :-D Check the map I posted to see it, if you don't mind having a preview of what you need to explore! If you dislike it here, it was like that in the original, except you didn't have maps/local counters to help you, so it was double the confusion!

EDIT: Oops, double post, sorry! Thought somebody had replied in the meantime.

Mmm, though that part was still filled with lava, but probably just missed it, and went right.
Thanks!

EDIT.
AND I know what already happened. You need to supermissile the floor of the tall corridor you said, I didnt know it, so after getting all those powerups (including the super missiles) in the area to the right, I didnt know there was somewhere I could use it by exiting the area and returning back a little bit, so i thought i was stuck when i was going thorugh the right path.

SuomiDude

Started watching a playthough of the game. Not going to bother play Metroid 2 again, especially since this is no official product of Nintendo and therefore I can't play it on a real controller (I don't have a PC controller). And I enjoy playthroughs anyway.

Pehesse

Mmm, though that part was still filled with lava, but probably just missed it, and went right.
Thanks!

EDIT.
AND I know what already happened. You need to supermissile the floor of the tall corridor you said, I didnt know it, so after getting all those powerups (including the super missiles) in the area to the right, I didnt know there was somewhere I could use it by exiting the area and returning back a little bit, so i thought i was stuck when i was going thorugh the right path.

Supers are actually a new addition to this game, in the original if I recall correctly you can navigate this vertical path from the get go, making it very confusing since it's considered to be the entrance to the area with a distinct top and bottom part, but you can mistake it/forget it (especially since the areas look pretty much like nothing on gameboy :-D). It's one of the areas I have most trouble with in M2, but here I thought gating it off with supers allowed you to focus on a single area at a time with a more natural progression: easier at the top with upgrades and few metroids, then bottom with all the metroids left. Imagine going to the bottom part without anything!

TDLink

If anyone needs any help, here's a map I made of all of the areas up until the final approach before the final boss. I don't have ALL of the hidden missiles and the like, but it should be useful in general.

http://i.imgur.com/QFGpuJe.jpg

Recommend exploring on your own though :p

You didn't go back and see what was up and to the left of where you first land? I have no idea what's there yet but there's clearly something.

Ourobolus

Banned
You didn't go back and see what was up and to the left of where you first land? I have no idea what's there yet but there's clearly something.

Like the original, it's part of the ending. I checked it, you can't go down from there.

You come up from there.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

EDIT: Of course. Now I get through it no problem. Thank you.

I don't get why the speed bost block are there in the first place since you can just bom your way through via the floor.

Rich!

played this for an hour or so

just couldn't play anymore, had to stop

dinner time. will resume playing in ten minutes. this is fucking amazing.

Rich!

PC is configured to output 240p to my CRT. The signal is RGBHV so it's easy for the RGB monitor to accept.

would be interested in knowing what cables you use...my JVC accepts component, as you know, so would a simple vga to component cable work fine? I can force 240p via my nvidia settings.

Supers are actually a new addition to this game, in the original if I recall correctly you can navigate this vertical path from the get go, making it very confusing since it's considered to be the entrance to the area with a distinct top and bottom part, but you can mistake it/forget it (especially since the areas look pretty much like nothing on gameboy :-D). It's one of the areas I have most trouble with in M2, but here I thought gating it off with supers allowed you to focus on a single area at a time with a more natural progression: easier at the top with upgrades and few metroids, then bottom with all the metroids left. Imagine going to the bottom part without anything!

Just discovered you actually can without super missiles!
Theres a corridor to the right, instead of going down using super missiles, that with good bomb placement, and already having the speed booster, you can venture that part without them.

Its similar to me doing the whole area (were you get the speed booster, supper missles and wave spread) without entering the first part and getting space jump to fly about, I was doing everything with shinesparking and spider ball lol And it actually made the spcae jump boss easier thanks to the wave spread.

In fact, im just looking in the invetory menu, and I still didnt get the second beam and got wave and spazer first. Never I had sequence break in ametroid so much as now.

Wonko_C

Started watching a playthough of the game. Not going to bother play Metroid 2 again, especially since this is no official product of Nintendo and therefore I can't play it on a real controller (I don't have a PC controller). And I enjoy playthroughs anyway.

Just about any console controller works on PC. Unless you only have handhelds you're out of luck, then.

Kadin

Only played for about 20 mins so far but holy shit am I loving this. It plays a tad fast but overall it's really well done. I love all the lore that they've added in as well.

One question though, what's with hitting the jump button while in the air and making yourself spin? I find this happens at times I don't want it to like trying to jump and shoot at a distance and making myself move awkwardly instead by accident. Tried to find a setting to disable this because I'm not sure what this mechanic is doing. I thought maybe this was the space jump but it doesn't seem to work that way.

SuomiDude

Just about any console controller works on PC. Unless you only have handhelds you're out of luck, then.
I have Wii U Pro Controller for example, but I can't just use blue tooth or something to make it work, can I? Not going to buy any additional stuff.

Top Bottom