• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anouma confirms Majora was in development as soon as they finished Ocarina

TheMoon

Time management=/=time limit.

It bothers me when people say there is a time limit. Dead Rising has a time limit because if you don't beat the game before the time runs out you lose and have to either restart from the beginning or at your last save, Majora's Mask lets you reset the time so it becomes a game about how to best manage your time on each run of the 3 days and you never have to do everything on one cycle just to 100% the game, you can spread that shit out like crazy.

Yup, exactly. There is no "limit" to the time you have. You have infinite time, essentially. Way more than you actually need to complete any given task.

The difference in release dates for OoT and MM, in Japan, is 17 months. This is probably releasing sometime in May or June, so it will be 47~48 months after OoT3D. The remake took ~3x longer to make than the original? Wtf?

You're making the mistake of assuming they're releasing this as soon as it's completed development and it literally "took them this long." When they might actually have the game already wrapped up and finished, just sitting there to fill out release schedules or them having it going on a slow-cooker because it wasn't urgent.

Well that's what I mean, I don't imagine it was a major focus for the staff for most of those three years. Three years is the time it takes to make a new Zelda not remaster an old one. Did they say for sure they are adding content? I was envisioning hat it would be like Ocarana, basically nothing added, just a port.

Read the Miiverse post linked in the OP. That's all we know.

Mak

You're making the mistake of assuming they're releasing this as soon as it's completed development and it literally "took them this long." When they might actually have the game already wrapped up and finished, just sitting there to fill out release schedules or them having it going on a slow-cooker because it wasn't urgent.

Most likely. New Nintendo 3DS and XL comes out in NA and EU next year. Nintendo held the Famicom cartridge release of The Legend of Zelda 1 until Feb 1994 (copyrighted for 1992) for the release of the redesigned Famicom AV, Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons on GBC released about a month before GBA, and New Super Mario Bros. was released a few weeks before Nintendo DS Lite and advertised the system's release in its NA commercial.

Here's the Zelda games that have been released since Ocarina of Time 3D in 2011 (minus a few Virtual Console releases)

2011 June - Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) - Grezzo
2011 Sept - Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (DSi, 3DS) - Grezzo

2013 Feb, May - Zelda: Oracle of Seasons + Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC - 3DS VC)
2013 Sept - Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U)
2013 Nov/Dec - Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

2013/2014 Feb, Jan - Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES - Wii U VC)

2014 Spring - Zelda The Minish Cap (GBA - Wii U VC)
2014 Aug/Sept - Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) - Tecmo-Koei
2014 Nov - Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 1 - Link

2015 Spring - Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS) - Grezzo
2015 NA, EU - New Nintendo 3DS + New Nintendo 3DS XL

2015? - Zelda Wii U

neoism

the best thing about this is it will be my first time all the way through it :p :D <3

I started it probably 4 or 5 times and ended up stopping at the 2nd dungeon so going all the way through it in the remake will be awesome... I'm rebuy OoT3d not sure why I traded it in lol... <3

zeldarocks

Neo Member
I wouldn't be surprised if it's been finished for two years but strategically delayed for ALBW, WW HD and Hyrule Warriors.

I'm hoping that it's not quite finished yet, there were definitely some pre-rendered textures strewn about; too stark in comparison to new geometry,

Doczu

Gold Member

Grezzo was searching for employees a year ago for making a "legend", so they did wprk on it for quite a time

Alfredo

I remember after OOT3D released, when people were clamoring for a Majora's Mask 3D, there were people that were saying stuff along the lines of, "No. I'd rather they work on a new Zelda game." People kept saying in response, "They can still do that. Just have Grezzo do work on MM3D," but people were still adamant that Majora's Mask 3D would be a waste of time.

...and all this time, they were actually working on MM3D, lol.

batfax

ability to use Fierce Diety Mask just cause via New Game Plus?

This is the most obvious "want." Not just because it was kind of disappointing when your special reward for doing all the side quests could rarely even be used, but also because I'd love to see some of the NPC's reactions to him.

zeldablue

I remember opening the door to that fucking house for the first time at 8 years old and--

Well I don't want to spoil it for those of you who haven't play it yet but...

I literally jumped and turned off my game. Scared the shit out of me. haha good times.
Hahaha. Yeah. I felt so satisfied and happy to finally get into the house. And then I remember screaming and then crying shortly after.

What a ride.

Koozek

Learning that people played this game without the inverted song of time blows my mind.

Haha, yeah. I can't even remember ever not using it. I totally understand if someone finds the game stressful and less fun without it.
To be honest, I don't even know who tells you about the song in-game. I once heard about it back in the days and then just used it everytime I replayed it years later. I mean, it's just the "Song of Time" reversed - how could you forget that^^

Haha, yeah. I can't even remember ever not using it. I totally understand if someone finds the game stressful and less fun without it.
To be honest, I don't even know who tells you about the song in-game. I once heard about it back in the days and then just used it everytime I replayed it years later. I mean, it's just the "Song of Time" reversed - how could you forget that^^

I believe the scarecrow in the Clock Town general shop tells you about the the inverted Song of Time.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
I hope when special looking doors in Clock Town are opened they don't change to some basic looking brown door now. I remember seeing the MailMan running back form his delivery to his rainbow colored door and suddenly it turned brown when it opened.

Believe it or not, that was due to an emulation glitch on Nintendo's part; it does not happen in the original N64 version.

RagnarokX

I can confirm to you right now that there is no chance selfies will return. The game is not a lighthearted adventure like Wind Waker, the game does not have a focus on expressive faces like Wind Waker. It does not lend itself at all to the selfie cam feature.

Wind Waker is lighthearted? The world is certainly brighter colored but it's not exactly lighthearted. You're a 10 year old forced to venture across a vast post-apocalyptic ocean because your sister gets kidnapped by a giant bird and you don't even have the luxury of being chosen by the gods. Your grandma nearly worries herself to death. But Link still has time to take Selfies. Much like how the Hero of Time has time to race beavers.

TheMoon

Wind Waker is lighthearted? The world is certainly brighter colored but it's not exactly lighthearted. You're a 10 year old forced to venture across a vast post-apocalyptic ocean because your sister gets kidnapped by a giant bird and you don't even have the luxury of being chosen by the gods. Your grandma nearly worries herself to death. But Link still has time to take Selfies. Much like how the Hero of Time has time to race beavers.

Lighthearted != carefree happiness everything is pancakes!

WW is most definitely a lighthearted game. Link is a total derpmaster and the whole art direction and expressiveness supports this. That has no bearing on the game having a darker side with serious undertones.

32300.gif

Yrael

Didn't Stone Tower have a part where you must let an enemy catch you to get where you need to go? Tricky dungeon.

I'm assuming you're talking about
the Dexihand in the water? That is the easiest way to get to the ledge, but I always used the Zora dolphin dive to get up there (it didn't even occur to me to let the Dexihand grab me!).

TheMoon

I'm assuming you're talking about
the Dexihand in the water? That is the easiest way to get to the ledge, but I always used the Zora dolphin dive to get up there (it didn't even occur to me to let the Dexihand grab me!).

YOU CAN JUST DO THAT? I SPENT SO MUCH TIME TRYING TO GET THERE ON MY OWN! FFFUUUUUU!!!

FyreWulff

If you're talking about "smoothening the gameplay experience" in Majora's Mask the save system is always the first thing that comes to mind. I fear that they'll offer the player to hard save at any time in the remake, which makes me a little sad. Only being able to quick save during a "time loop" is certainly not something everyone will be able to enjoy, but time having consequences is what makes Majora's Mask so special in the first place. It's not just a Zelda with an eerie atmosphere. It's a Zelda game where you feel an actual threat, where you know that every move counts. When you know that you're able to just reload and reload over and over again when things go wrong, the game will lose its threatening feeling, the danger the player faces everywhere.

I can understand that a new save system will likely help the sales of the game. I also think that it's kind of a necessity since the way save files work in Majora's Mask won't work really well on a handheld. But I still hope that they won't just implement a simple "save anywhere, load as often as you want" system, because that would just contrast everything Majora's Mask stands for.

That being said, a development period of three years makes me hopeful that we might get some additonal content, unlike OoT3D. It's also kinda ironic that the remake apparently has been longer in the works than the original game.

Hard saves at any time would literally break the game design, so I'm confident they won't do that.

What I expect, due to current gaming and being on a handheld, is that you'll be able to save at the top of each day and resume from that save.

I hope they don't change too much...

Don't want it to be fundamentally changed after all

Except the Well fetch quest. That shit can fuck off. Only bad thing about the game.

Rich!

Except the Well fetch quest. That shit can fuck off. Only bad thing about the game.

unless you already know, everything you need apart from the initial two items can be found inside the well. For example - one gibdo asks for milk - go to the cow thats in there and play eponas song. done.

And by that point you should have at least four of the six bottles anyway. you should be able to get through that place in no time at all.

sörine

Banned
But quite frankly Grezzo isn't the best of game developers. The original games they've created are not that great, so it doesn't surprise me they need a lot of dev time to make something like a Zelda remake.
What original games of theirs have you played?

unless you already know, everything you need apart from the initial two items can be found inside the well. For example - one gibdo asks for milk - go to the cow thats in there and play eponas song. done.

And by that point you should have at least four of the six bottles anyway. you should be able to get through that place in no time at all.

I know, but it was still annoying. It was just padding after all. I won't mind if it's still in there because I'd prefer the game to be mostly unchanged.

Bogeypop

I would say the most likely addition is temporary save states like VC games have.

They already threw the overseas audience a bone on the original Majora's Mask release with the Owl Statues being temporary saves. Original Japanese version just has them as warp points and you have to start the 3-day Cycle ALL over again everytime.

Rich!

They already threw the overseas audience a bone on the original Majora's Mask release with the Owl Statues being temporary saves. Original Japanese version just has them as warp points and you have to start the 3-day Cycle ALL over again everytime.

of course but there's this:

The issue we are having here is that the english language shot only says "Return to the Dawn of the First Day" on the 3DS version and not "Save and return to the Dawn of the First Day", which is what is said on the N64 version. There is a significant difference here - possibly implying an overhaul of the saving system.

N64:

ibeZh8xzNvrhWu.jpg

3DS:

So that's evidence that the original save system is being changed. It's also present in the japanese version:

N64:
text: "save and return to the dawn of the first day"

3DS:
text: "return to the dawn of the first day"

This leaves these options:

1. Save anywhere from pause menu, permanent saves.
  2. Suspend save, accessed from the pause menu. Is deleted when you resume (like the owl statues)
  3. Saving at the owl statues is now permanent rather than a suspend, like in Link Between Worlds
  4. The game now saves at the end of each day with a permanent save.

Out of all of those options, I'm not sure what would be best.

Dimmle

Oh man, I love the potential changes to the save system. MM is my favorite Zelda and anything to keep new players from being deterred and keep it fresh for old players is welcome in my Bomber's Notebook.

It's also possible that it still saves in the same way, but they've split up the menuing for whatever reason. (By which I mean that you play the song and then another menu pops up asking if you'd like to save). That might have been what you meant by your 4th point, but I wasn't sure. I am not sure what they'll do about this though, it's a change that'll be pretty controversial, assuming it is -- in fact -- a change.

Rich!

That might have been what you meant by your 4th point, but I wasn't sure. I am not sure what they'll do about this though, it's a change that'll be pretty controversial, assuming it is -- in fact -- a change.

what I meant is the game making a permanent save at the start of each day automatically, not just at the dawn of the first day when you restart.

I seriously hope they don't fuck it up for fans of the original system like myself. If they are going to do that, they need to include an option to play the game with the original save system intact.

Dice//

Banned
Only feature I'd want is an "easy mode" to at least stop time in dungeons (it's not actually needed there anyways and would eliminate most/all agitation I have about the three day structure).

Man, I sure hope so. I keep having this recurring worry that they hold off as a launch title for their next hardware.

There will be 2 new Metroids. People have to listen to what Miyamoto says in his interviews, he is the one pulling all the strings.

He said that he would like to do an original Zelda game before MM 3D. And thats exactly what happened.

He also said that there are 2 franchises he thinks would work perfectly on the WiiU: Starfox and Metroid. Starfox has already been announced.

All this passive agressive "Metroid is dead, Sakamoto killed it !!!1!111! " is just dumb.

And I agree with your last sentence too.

Rich!

Only feature I'd want is an "easy mode" to at least stop time in dungeons (it's not actually needed there anyways and would eliminate most/all agitation I have about the three day structure).

but that would ruin the game. seriously. The entire game is based on the fact that the world is persistent and the end of the world is always inevitable. Your change would basically mean "lol, actually dudes if you all come from clock town and hide in this temple, you too can avoid armageddon!". It wrecks the story and the world that is built so well.

and how on earth would you run out of time in a dungeon? Unless you are intentionally playing it completely wrong, this is what you should be doing:

1. Get to the dungeon. Hit the owl statue next to it to activate warp point.
  2. Return to the first day and save.
  3. Warp back to the dungeon.
  4. Play the inverted song of time.

You now have over three hours of time to finish the dungeon. If you take longer than three hours to do a dungeon, then...well, maybe you suck. Majora's Mask is all about time management and prioritizing tasks. If you aren't doing it properly, then of course you will get frustrated and run out of time. The solution is to play it properly.

Besides, this is all moot. The footage of great bay temple in MM3D clearly shows the clock and proves that thankfully time still runs as normal in dungeons.

I hope this means that Twilight Princess HD for Wii U is also in the works right after WW HD.

But man I'm hyped for MM. It was the first Zelda game I bought since OOT was borrowed from a friend. Didn't have a expansion pack so I couldn't play right away but it was amazing going to the title screen.

Anth0ny

If they were really working on it for that long, I hope there's some cool bonus features in there.

Majora's Mask Master Quest would be incredible.

Dimmle

I love that the remake of this game took longer to develop than the original version.

Makes sense, because, like, assets, I guess.

Neiteio

but that would ruin the game. seriously. The entire game is based on the fact that the world is persistent and the end of the world is always inevitable. Your change would basically mean "lol, actually dudes if you all come from clock town and hide in this temple, you too can avoid armageddon!". It wrecks the story and the world that is built so well.

and how on earth would you run out of time in a dungeon? Unless you are intentionally playing it completely wrong, this is what you should be doing:

1. Get to the dungeon. Hit the owl statue next to it to activate warp point.
  2. Return to the first day and save.
  3. Warp back to the dungeon.
  4. Play the inverted song of time.

You now have over three hours of time to finish the dungeon. If you take longer than three hours to do a dungeon, then...well, maybe you suck. Majora's Mask is all about time management and prioritizing tasks. If you aren't doing it properly, then of course you will get frustrated and run out of time. The solution is to play it properly.

Besides, this is all moot. The footage of great bay temple in MM3D clearly shows the clock and proves that thankfully time still runs as normal in dungeons.
Yep. Also, I'd like to add that once you get a dungeon's item, you keep it when you go back in time, so you can easily make back your lost progress if you don't finish the dungeon and need to replay it on a new cycle. But like Rich said, three real-life hours is more than enough time for these temples, even with the 15 optional stray fairies to collect in each one.

Golnei

if there's one Zelda game that needs a major content upgrade it would be this one. So much unused, empty space :(

I'm not sure if we'll ever get a console remaster of TP. Its pseudonaturalistic art style would necessitate the complete remodeling and texturing of nearly every asset, and the engine itself (especially the way it handles lighting) would need to be heavily modified to make said high-fidelity assets appealing; a problem that isn't nearly as pronounced with Wind Waker, the N64 games or Skyward Sword.

The ideal scenario would be a proper remake; considering that a remaster would require a similar amount of effort to bring its visuals up to par. That way, the content and sound quality issues would be much easier to remedy than if they went with more of a port / remaster - but obviously they would never waste the required time and resources internally on remakes that could be spent on new titles, and I can't see them outsourcing anything as involved as a full remake.

if there's one Zelda game that needs a major content upgrade it would be this one. So much unused, empty space :(
It makes sense that the space is empty. Also as long as the landmass is interesting to explore, traverse and see it is doing it's fulfilling it's goal.
I'm not sure if we'll ever get a console remaster of TP. Its pseudonaturalistic art style would necessitate the complete remodeling and texturing of nearly every asset, and the engine itself (especially the way it handles lighting) would need to be heavily modified to make said high-fidelity assets appealing; a problem that isn't nearly as pronounced with Wind Waker, the N64 games or Skyward Sword.
While i could understand why you feel like that, i don't agree. And there's no need to speculate when we have real world examples of how well the game holds up when re rendered at higher resolutions. Also you should remember that WW had it's textures retouched anyways, so the same threatment could be extend to a TP port. Finally is kind of strange you seem to be ok with the N64 ports when the 3D graphics of the 5th era doesn't hold as well as the 6th ones.

z2wjw2.jpg

z4ppol.jpg

z13mfzx.jpg

z2r795.jpg

url].

z24w7d.jpg

z31qui.jpg

Screens courtesy of eatchildren.

MilesTeg

Banned
Not sure if Nintendo would really hold back this game even though it's finished. Personally I was expecting the game to release this year to flesh out the holiday lineup for 3DS, which is kinda weak compared to last year. I guess they could launch it with N3DS in the west. I mean that could be the plan but imo the 3DS really needed the game this year. Although on the other hand, the software lineup is really sparse next year so who knows.

MilesTeg

Banned
Why is that so hard to believe? They've done it before numerous times over the years.

If you read the rest of my post, there is your answer. The holiday lineup is Pokemon and ?. That's why I'm not sure if Nintendo is intentionally holding it back. Like I said though, who knows. They might want to launch it with N3DS, or maybe they felt 2015 is a barrn wasteland for software on the 3DS (which it is). Or maybe they felt back to back holiday seasons with Zelda was a little much. Who knows.

Top Bottom