• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Next cancelled

Pallas

So Anthem had to die for DA4? I’m ok with that, shame though because I remember being excited for the game when it first premiered years ago.

RoboEight

Super bummed about the news but not surprised at this point. I will say I was a pretty big Anthem fan, for all the issues it has had I've found it incredibly enjoyable and was really pumped for Next. The game certainly had satisfying mechanics, the flying, fast combat and working on builds was a ton of fun. It's a shame the game couldn't be turned around I mean they could have taken it in many directions (Warframe, Phantasy Star Online, Destiny) and the little new stuff they did show was looking nice. The game did suffer from poor performance at times and I was willing to put up with that in hopes they could correct the issues with Next. I'll be honest the one thing that absolutely bugged me about the game was Bioware complete lack of care towards the player base it really bothered me. Almost zero community interaction save for a blog post here and there, discord that had some devs but never could say anything. The community was never given a break when things were rough and even when people stuck by it there was a constant push to sell their in game currency (Mass Effect outfits were BS that they pushed hard for a cash grab) and so on. The community itself was really good with lots of friendly people and I certainly had some really good times. Personally I don't regret putting over 700 hours in because I enjoyed my time but I certainly will rethink buying anything from Bioware going forward they've lost my trust I hope they take this experience and learn from it.

Nigel

Lmao
ae2JeOG.png

ToTTenTranz

Banned

Murdered by EA?
I disagree with this. ME3's ending, Inquisition's real-time waiting F2P mechanics and its character/design choices and Andromeda were all Bioware's fault and had nothing to do with EA.
It also doesn't seem like Anthem failed because of its suprise mechanics (which would be pressed in by EA) or subpar gameplay (which apparently is nice).

It failed because it lacked content and the story elements were subpar. So Andromeda was sacrificed to get more content into Anthem, but in the end Anthem had little content.

I don't see where EA failed Bioware here. It seems to me that Bioware is just not a competent developer and hasn't been for the better part of the last decade.

Murdered by EA?
I disagree with this. ME3's ending, Inquisition's real-time waiting F2P mechanics and its character/design choices and Andromeda were all Bioware's fault and had nothing to do with EA.
It also doesn't seem like Anthem failed because of its suprise mechanics (which would be pressed in by EA) or subpar gameplay (which apparently is nice).

It failed because it lacked content and the story elements were subpar. So Andromeda was sacrificed to get more content into Anthem, but in the end Anthem had little content.

I don't see where EA failed Bioware here. It seems to me that Bioware is just not a competent developer and hasn't been for the better part of the last decade.

Hard disagree. ME3 wasn't terrible because of the ending. The entire game felt incomplete and was obviously rushed out the door in less than two years...by EA.
Inquisition's crossgen release that clearly impacted the game design...yet another brilliant EA decision.

EA has failed Bioware ever since they purchased them. Pushing games out the door far too early, stripping characters out of rpgs to be sold as overpriced DLC, etc. "Yeah, go ahead single player rpg studio, go ahead and make a GAAS looter shooter!" Their execs probably got hard at the mere thought of mtx.

I'm not excusing Bioware at all and they deserve all the shit being flung at them right now for killing Anthem but NO ONE should be sticking up for a cancerous, predatory publisher like EA or giving them any kind of a pass. EA has bungled every Bioware release since 2008. Roast Bioware for mismanagement and aimless development but who owns Bioware? Who controls Bioware? Who's their daddy? EA. RIP Westwood, Origin, Pandemic, Bullfrog, Visceral, Maxis, etc.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hard disagree. ME3 wasn't terrible because of the ending. The entire game felt incomplete and was obviously rushed out the door in less than two years...by EA.
Inquisition's crossgen release that clearly impacted the game design...yet another brilliant EA decision.

EA has failed Bioware ever since they purchased them. Pushing games out the door far too early, stripping characters out of rpgs to be sold as overpriced DLC, etc. "Yeah, go ahead single player rpg studio, go ahead and make a GAAS looter shooter!" Their execs probably got hard at the mere thought of mtx.

I'm not excusing Bioware at all and they deserve all the shit being flung at them right now for killing Anthem but NO ONE should be sticking up for a cancerous, predatory publisher like EA or giving them any kind of a pass. EA has bungled every Bioware release since 2008. Roast Bioware for mismanagement and aimless development but who owns Bioware? Who controls Bioware? Who's their daddy? EA. RIP Westwood, Origin, Pandemic, Bullfrog, Visceral, Maxis, etc.

Both EA and Bioware management are turds.

For starters EA made them use the Frostbite engine which was highly unsuitable for a third person game of this caliber. The technical limitations of the engine made it a nightmare to work with.

As for Bioware itself, reconstructions made it clear that upper management at Bioware was hoping for that "Bioware magic" where out of nowhere all elements click together and form a cohesive, complete product. They were banking on this because it happened before.

Which of course is a terrible, TERRIBLE business practice because you're putting all your faith in a random chance situation with a complete lack of vision. And of course they got punished accordingly.

So get fucked EA, you wankers. And get fucked, Bioware management, you donkeys. You annihilated a once great studio and an IP with incredible potential.

I mean if that's the case we have to basically take THE most negative read of the events and see the posts about "we're working on these features" as purely fluff pieces, which is even more insidious and worse from Bioware than it is from EA.

Either way Bioware put out a shit product and then failed to support it even after being given time and supposedly resources to fix it.

Well it's EA - reading things in any other way that negative would be giving them way more credit than they deserve.

Anyway I found my two posts about Anthem in previous threads

They probably have a lot of content for Anthem in various stages of production so they will get time to finish it and then rest will depend on microtransactions revenue Anthem generates.

Really suprised that they didn't use covid as excuse to quietly pull the plug on Anthem development.

Honestly, I feel conned.

I bought it in good faith and what I bought, they never delivered. Roadmap never happened. I wonder how long it will be before class action lawsuits start?

It has taught me one thing (and it took a while), I will _never_ buy another EA game again.

I haven't even had Origin installed since the disappointment of Anthem.

Honestly, I feel conned.

I bought it in good faith and what I bought, they never delivered. Roadmap never happened. I wonder how long it will be before class action lawsuits start?

It has taught me one thing (and it took a while), I will _never_ buy another EA game again.

I haven't even had Origin installed since the disappointment of Anthem.
A valuable, but hard-learned lesson.

retsof624

I’m actually a little sad that it got cancelled. The gameplay is good so the potential is there but...guess the potential should’ve been there at launch 🤷🏾‍♂️

sobaka770

Banned
Not a big loss. Bioware is not a studio that should maintain a stillborn Destiny-wannabe.
With news that DA got multiplayer scrapped maybe EA finally got some sense on how to use the RPG studio as lootboxes get scrutinised more and more.

Top Bottom