• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Next cancelled

Why would they take Bioware, who had a long history of making a certain type of game, and move them down a path of a totally different kind of game? If EA wanted a game like Anthem they could have used a different dev.

Oh well, the Bioware that I used to love doesn't even exist anymore anyway :(

playXray

Nah I give Cyberpunk a ton of shit for how it launched and what's in it, but CDPR would rather spend money (rightfully) on improving the game and making sure it works than to waste time for two years "maybe" updating and then calling it quits.

If anything the news of the delay of patch 1.2 being so clearly communicated today/recently and the supposed scale of said patch speaks to their attempts to fix it.

Granted a single player game is much easier to fix than a looter shooter and/or online multiplayer driven game with running systems, Bioware didn't have a set vision to begin with so it's hard to tell what could have happened to save Anthem. Cyberpunk at least has a vision, they just failed to execute on "all" of said vision.
Also, Cyberpunk is brilliant.

mortal

Gold Member
tenor.gif

Umbasaborne

Banned
So, after taking $60-$80 out of peoples' pockets in exchange for a fundamentally unfinished and broken game...they (likely EA) ended development on a promised redesign to deliver the game they originally promised because they didn't see a way to maximize taking more money out of peoples' pockets? Got it.

Also, what makes this even worse is that Andromeda was essentially sacrificed for a game they eventually abandoned too.

This is just straight up laziness and greed. If a POS like No Man's Sky can be evolved into a competent experience by a tiny dev skeleton crew, it's mind boggling that a massive company like EA couldn't be bothered to throw the necessary resources behind this to fix it up and make it competent. The problem, of course, is that it may be that this game could only truly be excellent if it were completely re-designed (as it perhaps originally should've been) as a single player narrative driven game. The need to keep is as yet another GAAS game is probably why the disparate goals of Bioware and EA couldn't be reconciled here.
Everyone wants to be destiny, no one wants to put in the work that bungie had to, in order to make that game good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Everyone wants to be destiny, no one wants to put in the work that bungie had to, in order to make that game good.
Everyone copies Activision games. Look how many knock offs were based off these franchises.

Call of Duty
Various Blizzard games
Destiny
Guitar Hero

Probably more I missed.

Bit_Reactor

Also, Cyberpunk is brilliant.
Brilliant's pushing it a bit, but there are some nuggets of greatness buried under Bill and Ted's Johnny Mneumonic Adventure in Chinatown, for sure.

Blaming covid? Really?

Rotten fucking management still not taking any responsibility, doesn't bode well for what they have in development.

This made me laugh too. I was like FFXIV managed an entire expansion during covid and multiple patch updates, you guys couldn't even begin to implement any of your "fixes" come on now lol

Last edited:
Why would they take Bioware, who had a long history of making a certain type of game, and move them down a path of a totally different kind of game? If EA wanted a game like Anthem they could have used a different dev.

That is exactly what EA does best. Take one successful franchise, then make it shit because you want to push more greed and sales numbers. The reality is that the game comes out like shit and the game underperforms in sales so EA puts a bullet in the studio thinking it was their fault alone that the game failed. It's a vicious cycle with that company.

plip.plop

Let Respawn have a crack at it. After playing Titanfall 2 I'm positive they could turn this into a killer franchise.

Esca

I would of liked to have seen a great comeback story for Anthem but knew it was not taken seriously from ea/Bioware to do so

Last edited:
The demo I played sucked ass but the theme song is pretty good. Unfortunate that Bioware made yet another L. Fingers crossed for Dragon Age 4.

Barakov

Honestly, Bioware went too far out of their area of expertise with this one. They should of done a single player Anthem that had some online elements. Only after that, when they got the online part down should they've made their online Anthem.

Elios83

Ok now that they have recognized the obvious failure could they just focus on making a great Dragon Age game without EA fucking up the project with toxic pressure and mandated horrible creative directions?

Last edited:

Dunki

This excuse does not work because the thing Bioware fucked up the most are the RPG mechanics in this game. I repeat BIOWARE fucked up the RPG mechanicsof Anthem.

This is now Year 3 in which Bioware has not SHOWN anything besides Artworks of their "games". Maybe it is time to finally take Bioware out of their misery and close this Studio. Their Reputation and legacy is already dead.

brian0057

Banned
And even after all this clusterfuck, people are still honestly excited for both the Mass Effect remasters and Dragon Age 4.

I'm impressed. I don't blame EA, Ubisoft, Activision, or CDPR for trying to fuck the consumer. With how stupid they are, it's well earned.

When you're willing to give money to such shit companies even after countless screw-ups, you deserve to be fucked over by them.

Bioware was never the right developer to put on a game like this.

Respawn would have been the better choice and with enough development time, Respawn would have nailed it.

I don't know why EA wanted Bioware of all freaking developers was making a 3rd person action shooter looter MMO game. They're the freaking RPG guys.

It's like Bethesda making the Elder Scroll studio work on a new Animal Party clone.... it's freaking dumb.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Remember, they sacrificed Mass Effect to get on the looter shooter gravy train.
Yup.

Some exec in a board meeting pulled out a Powerpoint slide for the head lead at Bioware.

Forecasted financials 2019-2025

Mass Effect
Estimated game sales $100 million
Estimated DLC/mtx $10 million

Anthem
Estimated game sales $100 million
Estimated DLC/mtx $1000 million

Nothing was probably even said in the meeting. A slide was shown, the exec pointed at Anthem, and then the exec pointed the Bioware guy out the door.

I played the demo ✋🏻

Again, despite still having some sympathy towards them, this confirms EA is worst big gaming company out there now. Their 🪦 includes Burnout, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Battlefield with V, Need for Speed and now Anthem. They fuck everything up!

Futurematic

I bought it for like 20 bucks and played until the gating kicks in plus some free play. Worth it for the price, I had fun for a while and honestly loved flying.

Why though would you take the game’s strongest feature of flying and make it limited in duration with no weapons allowed at speed? Flight sim (light/looter/whatever) version could have been awesome.

Neolombax

Ah what a shame. Gameplay was really solid in my opinion, lack of content was its problem. Also could not for the life of me connect into those damn EA servers to actually play the game. Was really hoping for Next, but I can't say I did not see this coming.

SinDelta

Maybe Bioware should have have been taking lessions from the mistakes made by Destiny, Destiny 2, The Division, The Division 2, ect.

Maybe they should have been updating and fixing the game since release?

Maybe it would have been a turnaround instead of another failure.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If I'm EA, I'm not investing in a Destiny like looter shooter either.

Battle Royale style games are the present and future. Not looter shooters.

SinDelta

On the bright side Monster Hunter Rise is coming out, so that's something to look forward to.

Screw it, in my dreams Vanilaware takes over Dragon Age and Mass Effect because they could do them better with more heart and effort and style and writing then modern Bioware ever could.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
I bought i think a 3 month deal for EA to get access and it was fun. Absolute terrible story but the game mechanics and challenge on the hardest difficulty was fun. It really felt bare bones, but they nailed the flight mechanic perfectly plus solid gunplay and frostbite made it enjoyable for the month. Pretty much the AAA game plan.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Oh well. A bit disappointed cause there was potential but it’s for the best. Even if they did turn it around and make an amazing game the reputation was already ruined. Would need a miracle for people to go back to it. Also money talks. That’s the biggest reason it was scrapped. Just wasn’t gonna be worthwhile for EA to keep funding it.

also what I find hilarious are the people crying that they were lied to! screwed over! Let down! how they will never pre order a game again or give EA another penny!!

that’s your own damn fault you idiots. DO. NOT. PREORDER! especially a new IP.

Top Bottom