• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any 4K TV owners here...happy with upgrade?

Yoda

Yes. I use it as a display for my gaming rig. LG OLEDs 2016+ have decent latency so it isn't a hinderance (30ms is the worst I've experienced). At 4K, heavy AA isn't required, thus you can use your GPU power on other settings.

MEsoJD

Banned
Some 4k content is amazing, but my tv is also very good at upscaling 1080p content. That said, I'm not surprised general consumers can't tell a difference.

Last edited:

luxsol

I've been wondering, but how does DVD (480p?) look like on 4k TVs?

I still have a giant ass 36" CRT, a 40something LCD (1080), and want to get a larger LCD, but don't really feel the need to go 4k if DVD looks bad.

kunonabi

It's not a life changer and the resolution bump isnt that amazing but I do really like hdr and the upscaling on standard Blu Rays. The latter has been pretty welcome especially since i dont have access to 4k content outside of the few 4k discs I own.

Durask

I upgraded my projector to 4K and the image looks better but not THAT much better. Also, all current projectors have HDR issues so overall not much of an improvement, however the new projector has a slightly better lens so overall I am satisfied.

lachesis

Just got my 4k OLED a couple of weeks ago - I haven't really seen too many 4k contents other than some documentaries on Netflix and Amazon Prime, and a few Youtube videos - but I'm generally happy with the performance of actual OLED itself. However the regular contents, especially heavily compressed ones via cable box seem quite horrible and mushy.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It was a decent jump for me. I went from a 40 inch 1080p TV that was 10 years old to a 60 inch 4K TV with HDR.

dc3k

I have a 4K TV but have never played any 4K video on it. I don't think my Fire TV supports 4K and my data cap barely covers streaming 1080p anyways

Last edited:

TFGB

Bought a Sony 65A1 for the bedroom recently and the leap in fidelity over my Sony 46X3500 was immediately obvious. I wasn’t expecting such a glorious image.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its about equal to the jump from my CRT 576P to 1080p.

Viewing 4k Netflix content I cant really tell, I suppose the black levels are better and stuff like stubble and hair is more detailed but that could be a placebo.

With games the difference is the largest, playing gears in 4k is almost like a different game, it looked kinda rough on my og x1 .

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
I think it really depends on the set, and it has as much to do with everything else the TV has rather than just its native resolution. I bought one for my living room about 14 months ago and while colours look fantastic, the picture itself didn't seem a vast improvement. I bought another a few days after Christmas and the difference in quality was immediate and obvious. The picture is far superior to any of our 1080p sets, and clearly better than the other 4k set. As with 1080p TV's and even SDTV's, there is a wide range of picture qualities within those televisions.

My first answer would have been a 'meh, it's an ok improvement'. My second answer is yes, there is a large difference. Do some research and if possible, check the picture out in person before buying one. Look out for things like 'Wide Color Gamut' and 10-bit panels, not 10-bit capable display which can be 8-bit+FRC which is a kind of fake 10-bit. None of the check box features will give you a solid idea of how a TV looks though.

Last edited:
Just recently went 4k with a 50" Samsung MU6070 and the Samsung UBD-M7500 ultra blu ray player best buy had on sale last week and i dont think i'll ever go back
I bought Dredd, John Wick 1 & 2, Blade Runner 2049, The Dark Knight and Terminator 2 for my first 4k discs and have been blown away by them also have my ps4 pro hooked up and HDR makes a difference

Last edited:

ickythingz

Banned
4K is possibly the best gaming upgrade I have ever made. I am PC gamer 1st and playing games at 60fps 4k with settings maxed is amazing. I actually can't even play 1080p games anymore. 1080p just looks like a blurry nightmare to me now.

octiny

Banned
Huge difference over 1080p. Although I have a 4K projector shooting 110 inches @ 8ft viewing distance. Had a 75" before going projector route, still a huge difference.

I have a KS8000 and I love it. I really don't want to purchase a UHD BluRay player with Blu Rays though. I guess I will have to until more 4k content, minus original content, comes in.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm to the point where 1080p "annoys" me so I guess it's safe to say I see the difference.

Discourse

I have a 27" LG 4K monitor attached to my Macbook Pro. It's not a big jump from the 2560x1600 Dell Monitor I had for the previous 9 years. I'm waiting for 5G to launch in my country next year before I get a 4K TV. My in laws have a 65" 4K TV and my wife hates the clarity of 4K. She says it's too realistic.

llien

Went from 46" Samsung LCD to LG OLED 65" W7.

Despite high price on W7 (got it discounted for 4k Euro), it was more than worth it. My spouse's reactions went from "isn't it too much for merely a TV" to "wow, why do they market it as a TV and not 'home cinema' or something"

Viewing distance is about 4.5-5 meters.

Most of the content I watch is actually 1080p, bar some occasional 4k (Netflix).

I don't care about resolution much, it's HDR that is breathtakingly impressive, not 4k. (again, not much content of that kind yet)

I bought the 82 inch Samsung 4k hdr tv for $3200 and am very happy with the switch. It’s basically my dream tv.

But if you are going for less than 60 inches, no 4k is not worth the upgrade

Last edited:

A.Romero

I was skeptical at first and was planning to upgrade my PC first so I could render games on 4k natively.

GPU prices skyrocketed because of mining and I got a good deal on a Samsung 2016 model so I went for it.

I sincerely love it. My wife thought it was an unnecessary expenditure (it is) but she is enjoying it a lot. She says that she is glad I went for it.

Right now the only native content I can enjoy comes from Netflix and Amazon as I don't have a 4k bluray player. I can't pull a native 4k signal from my PC because my cable is too long but I can still see a difference while playing both PC and PS4 on 1080P upscaled to 4k.

I think a big part of why the improvement was noticeable is because the previous TV is a mid range Samsung while the newer one was a higher end model so I'd recommend to spend as much as possible.

I think a lot of people not noticing the difference that much has to do with the fact that most offerings have a 4k panel but bad image processors and subpar HDR.

Hopefully I'll be able to rearrange my entertainment system so I can use a shorter cable and get a beer) newer GPU that will allow me to play on 4k.

Tl;dr worth it!

BANGS

Banned
Honestly while it does look nice, I can't really care. Kinda wish I bought a cheaper 1080. But then again I care alot more about the content than how it's delivered. I could watch my favorite films on a 13" black and white tv and enjoy them every bit as much as I do on my new 70"4k...

njean777

I went from a 27in 1080p monitor to a 40in 4K tv for my Xbox and def prefer the bigger picture. Then again I moved from my bedroom at my parents house to a living room into my apartment lol so that may cloud some things.

I have a 51" Samsung F8500 plasma and a 55" LG OLED55B6P. The plasma was probably the best non-Kuro plasma or at least very close. It looks bad in comparison to the OLED now. It's hard to say how much of that is from the resolution and how much of that is from using a superior display technology, but both make a difference.

Fbh

It's nice but I don't really have much content to play on it.

Netflix 4K looks nice but I don't personally see such a big jump from 1080p and the only other 4K capable device I own is a PS4 Pro which most of the time isn't even real 4K (you can still see the visual improvement but much like Netflix it's not that big IMO).

I'd like to try 4K Blu-ray but it just seems like a pain since I don't even have a player and there is no place left that I know in my country that rents physical movies and I'm just not into buying movies.

So far the thing that has impressed me the most is HDR. In games where it's well implemented like FFXV or Horizon I think it makes a bigger difference than the bump in resolution of

1080p tv's aren't going to be around for much longer. Even you deliberately search for one, there are only so many options available and most under 50 inches. I'm still using a 50" plasma tv from 2011. Picture is great, but I really, really want to upgrade to a 4k tv, even if switching to LCD loses the blacks/contrast. I spent all the months leading up to black friday researching tv's with the intent to purchase, but after seeing a lot of the issues that each tv can have, I got cold feet. I'm now waiting for the new TCL 65" R-series to arrive in March/April and also to see what Vizio has for 2018. If neither of those impress, I might try and snag a Sony X900e when stores are trying to get rid of them. Right now they're ~$1500 for the 65". OLED would be great, but I can't afford a $2000+ tv and I really want to do 65 inches or greater. So that rules out any good deals on 55" OLEDs.

BrettWeir

Just bought a 75" Samsung MU8000. Upgraded from a 65" LG non-4k. Standard TV is............ok. PS4 Pro is awesome. Really would like a good 4k upscaler for DirecTV. Anyone know of a good one?

OH-MyCar

It's nice but I don't really have much content to play on it.

That's why I haven't made the plunge yet; as a big fan of classic film, there's just not a lot out there even if I could buy it.

I currently own a couple of 4k discs for when that day finally comes, but studios really need to address their back catalogues a bit more. Unfortunately, with how DVD still outsells BRDs, I wonder if I'll ever see some of my favs in 4K.

Codes 208

I bought a 4k vizio ages ago but i didnt do enough research apparently. For starters it was lacking HDR. Alongside that of the three HDMI inputs only one of them support 4k/60fps the other two were 30fps. While my Xbox One S looked fine being upscaled, the 4k videos looked very promising (but no hdr hurt a bit) and it shrunk my pc's UI while stretching everything out at the same time. I increased the size of the screen to compensate but it still looked a bit off and my photoshop cs2 was practically unusable.
(keeping in mind this was back when 4k was still relatively new)

So i returned it for a simpler 2k vizio which ive had for about two years now. I plan on upgrading again soon when its more universally accepted but im also rather content for now.

It's the best upgrade for video I've ever gotten for TV sets. Easily a huge difference in quality.

The downside is now I'm a picky bastard who only buys the 4k bluray version of movies.

FireCloud

I've got a Sony X930D and watching The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime is something to behold. I think the picture and colors are incredible but not a big fan of the back lighting. I watch a lot of TV late at night with all of the lights off and in scenes where there are bright objects on a black background, the back lighting is distracting. A well lit image looks great though.

Didn't have enough to go OLED when I upgraded. My next set will probably be OLED or something similar where black is black.

Last edited:

Clockwork

I've been in the 4k game since my 2014 Vizio P Series UHDTV. It didn't have HDR but I still appreciated the quality that higher resolution brought to the table.

I also have a Samsung KS8000 that I bought winter 2016. With that I got the HDR I was missing, but in that regard it is super content dependent. Some HDR material has been amazing and some has been completely underwhelming.

I can see the noticeable difference in some 4K content. I don't own any UHD Blurays but like I wish more streaming sites would add more 4K movies other than original content.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so HDR is a huge upgrade... 4K is barely novel. I mean I'm not young and my eyes are "ok for my age" but one is 20/15 far sighted and the other is 20/40 near sighted.. so I CAN actually resolve "more-than-HD" sitting like 4-5' from the TV with my glasses on. And for true 4K content (mostly older) it is actually sort of impressive from a historical preservation standpoint. Like Home Alone and Die Hard the film grain was near pristine.. but that was really it.. the film grain was finer than 2K.

so yeah.. HDR is wow. 4K is greatly YMMV leaning toward "not a big deal" at typical viewing distances.

also go here to see if the movie you are watching was really mastered in 4K or not. a SHIT LOAD of movies, especially recent ones, that are actually mastered at 2K.

http://realorfake4k.com/list/

edit - actually you can see there were more fake 4K movies released in 2017 than real ones. For shame!

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I'm satisfied when I'm gaming or watching something like The Grand Tour in 4k HDR. I'm less satisfied with Netflix and the bizarre fact it suddenly can't manage 4K for me yet Amazon prime has no trouble. Also way too many BS shows with added film grain that looks ass with 4K.

kunonabi

Well, ive found my Sleeping Beauty. Up till now the only 4k movies i had were the two Amazing Spider-Man flicks and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. There looked nice with the HDR being the real highlight but nothing that really blew my mind.

Blade Runner the Final Cut in 4k is a whole other beast.

I'm totally turned around on 4K now.

MazeHaze

Banned
The quality of the TV is infinitely more important than it's resolution. There are plenty of shitty 4k TVs. I think the contrast ratio, color, motion handling, and input latency of high end 4k tv's is definitely worth the upgrade. The high end TV's just all happen to be 4k now, but they are leaps and bounds better than high end TV's from 5 years ago even. 4k itself is nice, but the overall picture quality enhancements of high end sets, paired with good HDR make top of the line 4k TVs almost unbelievable to watch.

I bought a Sony 850D 4k hdr TV in 2016. I kept it for a month, but it sucked. I tried to like it, but it's an IPS panel with really shitty contrast. The picture looks good in bright scenes, but anything at night in dark scenes was bloom city, completely unacceptable for an (at the time) 1300 dollar TV.

I returned the Sony for a KS8000 from Samsung. Wonderful TV, I'd probably still use it to this day if it had not been stolen from my house by burglars. Jokes on them though, they didn't take the one connect box, which renders it useless. The only problems I had with it were a little bit of blooming in dark scenes, black bars in movies turning greyish in HDR content, and motion handling was pretty poor for low frame rate content. This could be compensated for with VERY LIGHT motion smoothing, but for 30 fps video games the motion smoothing jumped the input lag up to 100+ ms. As a result, you just kind of had to get used to 30 fps games being blurry/smeary.

I now have an LG B7 OLED. Easily the best TV I've ever owned. I watched Pacific Rim UHD on it last night, and HOLY FUCK. Just such a beautiful thing to experience. I've had it for 7 months now, and I'm still impressed with it every day. Putting on any HDR UHD movie just brings a big grin to my face every time. Games look amazing too, and supporting PC games at 120fps take it to a whole nother level.

Edit: to answer the question about comparing them to my 1080p TVs. I had a samsung from 2011, and a vizio from 2010. Even the Sony 850D smoked the ABSOLUTE SHIT out of both of them. I have a 1080p TV in the bedroom, and it's fine. But now that I'm used to the picture quality of modern high end displays, having an old 1080p set in my home theater would feel like I have a weird Fisher Price TV. Like the difference between the Wii U tablet and the Switch. I feel like people don't bring the actual build of new TVs up enough. All of my 1080p sets had these 2 inch thick bezels. Seems like a weird thing to complain about, but all of the 4K TV's I've owned have milimeter thick bezels. They just look like a floating screen. And hell, the OLED TV itself is about as thick as two CDS stacked on top of eachother.

Last edited:
Top Bottom