• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any 4K TV owners here...happy with upgrade?

Just wondering if you guys see that much of a difference on your 4K TVs compared to 1080p ones.

I just found out that size and viewing distance really does mean everything. Bought a 4K set to go with my gaming pc a couple years ago but found a used 1080p monitor that absolutely destroys the 4K set in image detail. Turns out the smaller 1080p monitor has higher pixel density than the huge 4K set. 4K is pretty much a sham in that regard IMO.

Gandara

The new tv my wife bought me has only hdmi inputs so I'm struggling to find a good way to play old systems on QLED samsung tv. I can't say I'm happy with it and I think my wife over paid for it. For most content it works fine but so far I'm struggling to find what I can use to play my old xbox,ps2, neogeo cdx, gamecube and dreamcast. Best connection I have is s video but I tried getting something that would allow for that signal type and it looked very washed out. I don't recall any of the systems looking that bad on my old lcd tv.

OutlawTuNeR

Neo Member
I bought my new 4K LED TV Samsung KU6409 163 cm 65" one year ago and im happy with it. Playing PS4 Pro (Glacier White) with 4K & HDR Games like GT Sport is a great experience. I connected also my PS2 via Component Cable to play the great old PS2 Classics. Very recommended are also to watch movies in 4K.

kunonabi

The new tv my wife bought me has only hdmi inputs so I'm struggling to find a good way to play old systems on QLED samsung tv. I can't say I'm happy with it and I think my wife over paid for it. For most content it works fine but so far I'm struggling to find what I can use to play my old xbox,ps2, neogeo cdx, gamecube and dreamcast. Best connection I have is s video but I tried getting something that would allow for that signal type and it looked very washed out. I don't recall any of the systems looking that bad on my old lcd tv.

I wish I could help ya but I've never had luck with older systems looking good on LCDs.

Anybody still underwhelmed with 4K TVs should try watching Pacific Rim on one. Movie is bloody magical on the format. Blade Runner 2049 is probably the most underwhelming. It's still a great looking movie but the 4K presentation doesn't elevate it as much as people were claiming as far as I'm concerned.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Had a 4k TV for 3 years. If you have the right tech to support it with content it is well worth it. Especially with HDR support.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I think im more impressed with HDR than 4k itself, but not disappointed with any of it.

Yeah, HDR is absolutely the real draw. Even minor implementations of it can really improve a film. The resolution boost is nice but it's only really stood out for me once or twice.

Jayx77

1080p tv's aren't going to be around for much longer. Even you deliberately search for one, there are only so many options available and most under 50 inches.
I wanted a thin ~40" 1080p set for the bedroom and had to go to an entry level 4k Samsung to get a decently thin one. The 1080p ones were thick and featureless.

Future

Very interested in a Sony 900 or 930e/f. But scared of the input lag. For 4K they seem good at around 25 ms but they are in the 40s for 1080p which basically screws my switch.

tkscz

The 4k bump itself? I was not impressed by it. I see the bump in image quality, but it didn't blow me away. However, HDR was what really blew my mind. Man how much more beautiful things looked with richer colors. HDR was the bump I've been waiting for.

Last edited:

J-Rzez

4K itself isn't a big deal unless you're sitting super close to a display, or have like say that Sony native 4K projector throwing up 90"+ screens. It's the HDR, and I mean REAL HDR sets that come with 4K that makes things come alive. Have both of those and a OLED set? You're in for a real treat.

GenericUser

Extremely happy. TVs have improved drastically over the last 3 - 5 years. Colors are much more vibrant now and the brightness of modern 4K TVs is really jaw dropping. Definitly very very happy with my purchse, should have made it earlier tbh. The increased pixelcound is really just the icing on the cake for me.

Netflix in dolby vision is something you have to see to believe it. It comes really really close to a cinema level of fidelty.

Wunray

I just witnessed Destiny 2 on pc wuth hdr at 4k, I was blown away and that was on a budget tv imagine a higher and model..........

kunonabi

Grabbed the Fifth Element, Labyrinth, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from the Amazon sale. As much I love the movies themselves it's a good thing they weren't my introduction to 4k.

GMAK2442

I got it for the desktop computer and just for the Windows resolution in 4K it's worth it.

For the games, it's also pretty nice to play in 4k. Much better than 1080p. But on that matter, I'd say it's something expensive.

For the movies and videos, it's better too. But I rarely have 4K videos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom