• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any announcements for Tales of Vesperia PS3 - Stateside??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiryogi

Banned
Firestorm said:
Ooooh who's listed under Localization for Graces? Any 8-4 staff?Yes. I could've sworn you'd been told this in the official thread as well. When the people involved with localization (john tv, Yuri's voice actor) say they haven't been asked to do a localization, there's a very low chance that a localization is currently in the works!

First guy works for Namdai, it's Jeremy Clark

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,147725/

Games Credited

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (2008), Namco Bandai Games Inc.
Mr. Driller Online (2008), Namco Bandai Games Inc.
SoulCalibur IV (2008), Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
Namco Museum DS (2007), Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
Tales of the Abyss (2006), Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
Tales of Legendia (2005), Namco Limited
Tales of Symphonia (2003), Namco Limited

Elemental Gearbolt (1997), SCEI

Didn't the japanese version of Tales of Vesperia on the PS3 have some english characters hidden within it? I guess that didn't mean anything in the end.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
john tv said:
I want PS3 TOV more than anyone, but considering the sales of the 360 version (dismal from what I heard -- anyone have NPDs?), I wouldn't hold my breath.

It blows my mind that such a great game sold so poorly in the US. Vesperia is by far my favorite JRPG this gen.

Anyone know how it sold in Japan, OOC?

BluWacky

The other guy listed under the localisation team credits is Keiichiro Miyoshi. His Mobygame credits are all for working in sound direction (which in terms of a Tales game most likely means directing the actors rather than Sakuraba et al), although I don't know if he's the same guy - worked previously on Professor Layton and Soul Caliber amongst others.

Kishgal

Banned
Kishgal said:
I found the bit in the credits:

gracescredits.png

I don't recognize either name at first glance, but maybe someone here does.

EDIT: It seems Jeremy Clark is a localization producer/coordinator at Namco.
For what it's worth, here's the same credit from Vesperia's Japanese 360 version:

vespcredits.png

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lost Fragment said:
It blows my mind that such a great game sold so poorly in the US. Vesperia is by far my favorite JRPG this gen.

Sadly the biggest contributing factor is the art style. If the series looked less like 2D animation and more like Star Ocean, it'd fair better outside Japan.

Firestorm

Lost Fragment said:

Anyone know how it sold in Japan, OOC?

360: 161,070
Code:
2008-08-04 	0 	101,272 	101,272
2008-08-11 	0 	18,904 	 	120,176
2008-08-18 	17 	8,028 	 	128,204
2008-08-25 	30 	5,008 	 	133,212
2008-09-01 	53 	2,482 	 	135,694
2008-09-08 	23 	4,648 	 	140,342
2008-12-22 	0 	0 	 	161,070
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/3153

PS3: 312,128
Code:
2009-09-14 	2 	227,506 	227,506
2009-09-21 	3 	44,959 	 	272,465
2009-09-28 	12 	18,176 	 	290,641
2009-10-05 	17 	9,873 	 	300,514
2009-10-12 	22 	6,616 	 	307,130
2009-10-19 	23 	4,998 	 	312,128
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/3703

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
lucablight said:
Why did Tales of Symphonia sell so well compared to other Tales titles?
It was released on an RPG starved system and was heavily promoted by Nintendo (both with consumers and retailers). Got good critical reception and word of mouth too.

grandjedi6 said:
It was released on an RPG starved system and was heavily promoted by Nintendo (both with consumers and retailers). Got good critical reception and word of mouth too.

Aren't they doing just that with MH3 and DQX?

grandjedi6 said:

Strange. I would say the PS3 is RPG starved as well and Tales of Vesperia is still considered by many to be the best HD JRPG.

grandjedi6

lucablight said:
Strange. I would say the PS3 is RPG starved as well and Tales of Vesperia is still considered by many to be the best HD JRPG.
The PS3 is not a RPG starved system; its not even a JRPG starved system anymore. And there are pretty big differences between a port and a brand new game.

Firestorm

lucablight said:
Yes, but it's not out in North America. Symphonia GCN was a huge success in North America and Europe, but Namco Bandai saw it as a failure in Japan.

311,473 on GCN and 390,414 on PS2. This was just after Tales of Destiny 2 sold 762,861.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
lucablight said:
Compared to the GC the PS3 is swimming in RPGs.

grandjedi6

Jive Turkey said:
Compared to the GC the PS3 is swimming in RPGs.
To elaborate:

Gamecube's RPG lineup pre-Symphonia:
•Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
•Lost Kingdoms
•Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
•Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
•Gladius
•Pokémon Colosseum
•Skies of Arcadia: Legends

PS3's current RPG lineup:
•Battle Fantasia
•Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
•Borderlands
•Demon's Souls
•Disgaea 3
•Dragon Age: Origins
•The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
•Enchanted Arms
•Eternal Sonata
•Fallout 3
•Final Fantasy XIII
•Folklore
•Genji: Days of the Blade
•Marvel Ultimate Alliance
•Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
•Penny Arcade Adventures
•Yakazu 3
•Sacred 2
•Star Ocean 4
•Valkyria Chronicles
•White Knight Chronicles​

And no, the Gamecube's post-Symphonia lineup isn't much better as all you add for the most part is Fire Emblem, another shitty Pokemon console game, and Baten Kaitos I & II. And yes, I'm missing some PS3 titles, aren't I?

darkwings

Banned
grandjedi6 said:

I just cant agree with that reason. The gamecube had a decent list of rpgs compared to all nintendo systems except for the snes. Look at the Wii, ToS2 didnt sell that well, and it is probably the worst nintendo system yet for rpgs, yes even worse than n64.

I think it has more to do with the excellence of Symphonia for its time. The game design was brilliant for the year of 2003 and 2004.

Darkpen

Banned
GrandJedi said:
Battle Fantasia
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Genji: Days of the Blade
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Wait, what? Are you sure those games count as RPGs? I haven't played them, but my understanding was that Battle Fantasia was a 2D plane 3D fighter with an elaborate story for each character, while the rest are beat 'em ups in some shape or form, or do they all actually secretly have distinct RPG elements like Folklore and Yakuza?

grandjedi6

darkwings said:
I just cant agree with that reason. The gamecube had a decent list of rpgs compared to all nintendo systems except for the snes. Look at the Wii, ToS2 didnt sell that well, and it is probably the worst nintendo system yet for rpgs, yes even worse than n64.

I think it has more to do with the excellence of Symphonia for its time. The game design was brilliant for the year of 2003 and 2004.
Decent list of RPGs? No, just look at what I posted above. The system was a wasteland, especially so for quality RPGs (and lets not get into quality exclusive RPGs). As for ToS Wii, it was a spinoff with bad word of mouth that came out for a system known for its oddity in sales.

Also I'm not sure I would agree with qualifying its success as Symphonia being "excellent for its time" but yes, I did note its good word of mouth and critical reception.

Darkpen said:
Wait, what? Are you sure those games count as RPGs? I haven't played them, but my understanding was that Battle Fantasia was a 2D plane 3D fighter with an elaborate story for each character, while the rest are beat 'em ups in some shape or form, or do they all actually secretly have distinct RPG elements like Folklore and Yakuza?
The Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games are undoubtably RPGS but I pretend no knowledge of the other three.

Bladestorm is more of uh...Action Strategy game? I've been trying to get a hold of the full version but it's rather pricey. It certainly has more RPG elements than Koei's Warriors series.

Battle Fantasia is indeed a 2D fighter(with 3D graphics). There are RPG elements but they're kind of silly(like the health meter being referred to as HP). The story mode is similar to Guilty Gear X2/Plus Accent Core Dash # whatever. Pick a character, some multiple paths, special win conditions, etc. There's nothing in the way of actual RPG characteristics though.

Still the point stands.

Shadow780

Darkpen said:
while the rest are beat 'em ups in some shape or form, or do they all actually secretly have distinct RPG elements like Folklore and Yakuza?

Pretty sure Genji is an action game.

Bladestorm is Koei's tactical action game with RPG elements (guages, leveling up, equipments,etc), like Kessen series.

darkwings

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Decent list of RPGs? No, just look at what I posted above. The system was a wasteland, especially so for quality RPGs (and lets not get into quality exclusive RPGs). As for ToS Wii, it was a spinoff with bad word of mouth that came out for a system known for its oddity in sales.

Also I'm not sure I would agree with qualifying its success as Symphonia being "excellent for its time" but yes, I did note its good word of mouth and critical reception.

while it had a few average rpgs pre-symphonia, it also had Skies of Arcadia Legends, which is still one of the best rpgs available. (imo of course) And yes, ToS was pretty damn impressive for its time. I remember buying the game because of excellent impressions around the internet, and I was pleasantly surprised how good the game was. I was also introduced to the skits for the first time.

grandjedi6

lucablight said:
Let's face it if you're looking for a JRPG the PS3 is still quite bare at the moment if you only speak english.
You can tell yourself anything you like, but its not going to make Vesperia PS3's localization chances any more real.

Count me in the "rather have Graces" camp as well. I haven't played a Team Destiny Tales since Eternia. Course it helps that I played through Vesperia 360 and am really not sure I can stomach another 15-20 hours of it.

Course with Namco Bandai I'm sure they'll come up with a way to disappoint everyone.

Darkpen

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
The Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games are undoubtably RPGS but I pretend no knowledge of the other three.
This is the first time I've heard it being referred to as an RPG

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
kiryogi said:
Wow hearing that from John, I guess it's fate is sealed. But now in addition to that, there was some intarweb detective work done.

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2934853&sid=d27aa589066b4a75d58147204e716f56#2934853

In regards to Graces:

"Hm, did anyone notice that in the staff roll there's a "Localization Team" (ローカライズチーム) credited, just like in the Japanese ToV 360? (And that the ToV PS3 version doesn't have that anymore?)"

Tho if that doesn't mean anything for ToV PS3 alone. . . But Graces on the other hand?
Hmm... hopefully if Graces is coming they'll work with Namco Tales Studio to make sure we won't be gypped in content. I really hate Namco's strategy with this series now, I'm not even sure I want to hear about a localization too soon since they could announce a Director's Cut for Wii or another platform with more content in a few months. :\

darkwings

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Course with Namco Bandai I'm sure they'll come up with a way to disappoint everyone.

atleast a group has already started working on a fan-translated patch for graces. If Graces never gets localized, you can probably count on being able to get it translated from a private source.

grandjedi6 said:
You can tell yourself anything you like, but its not going to make Vesperia PS3's localization chances any more real.

I was just saying. I do concede that the chance of it happening now looks very slim.

Rpgmonkey

darkwings said:

I think a decent marketing campaign combined with the quality to back up the hype worked in ToS's favor. Not that I think the lack of RPGs was irrelevant, I think it certainly did help to push the "hype" factor.

Granted I don't think Bamco's exactly pushing for a decent marketing campaign (yet). It looks like they'll be doing slight design/release changes in regards to their bigger games like Vesperia and Graces for the West, and they've been pushing for more complete localizations, so maybe they are interested in (slowly) progressing to that stage at some point.

jj984jj said:
Hmm... hopefully if Graces is coming they'll work with Namco Tales Studio to make sure we won't be gypped in content. I really hate Namco's strategy with this series now, I'm not even sure I want to hear about a localization too soon since they could announce a Director's Cut for Wii or another platform with more content in a few months. :\

If a localization's already being planned, maybe they haven't bothered to announce it yet because they have to wait for the Director's Cut or whatever to be announced in Japan before they announce the English version based on it? :lol

darkwings

Banned
I hope Bamco decides to add content and fix glitches for a western release of Graces, just like Level 5 are doing with White Knight Chronicles.

This thread has inspired me to maybe buy the JP PS3 Vesperia. I have the ENG 360 one, but my 360 died, and I never tried to beat a JRPG in Japanese before.

darkwings said:
atleast a group has already started working on a fan-translated patch for graces. If Graces never gets localized, you can probably count on being able to get it translated from a private source.

Yeah but that still means buying the game(which means Namco/Bandai gets money).

No I'm not implying that I'd pirate the game instead but I have no qualms about not playing a game entirely if Namco/Bandai gives me the finger.

BTW: Thanks Grandjedi6 for mentioning Bladestorm. I hopped on ebay and stumbled upon a copy for a great price.

Sadist

jj984jj said:
Well, it could be worse. You could live in Europe where Scamco hates you.

Tales of Graces 2011 :(

john tv

It's true we have done all the major Tales games since Symphonia, but that doesn't mean it can't happen without us. :) I'd hope it wouldn't, but you never know!

I'd love to see Graces get a US release. The Wii market for third party games (especially "not for Grandma" games) is pretty grim though... Here's hoping!

john tv said:
It's true we have done all the major Tales games since Symphonia, but that doesn't mean it can't happen without us. :) I'd hope it wouldn't, but you never know!

I'd love to see Graces get a US release. The Wii market for third party games (especially "not for Grandma" games) is pretty grim though... Here's hoping!

I can understand if you aren't allowed to say but have Namco Bandai said anything about a PS3 Vesperia localisation to you or have they not mentioned anything at all?

Also hypothetically how long would a localisation for a PS3 Vesperia take?

I really wish they would come out and categorically say it's not happening if that is the case.

kiryogi

Banned
john tv said:

I was thinking maybe if there was scenario for ToV PS3 or Graces, they'd do it like Magna Carta 2. In house! :lol tragic situation if they really kept you guys out of it though.

kiryogi said:
I was thinking maybe if there was scenario for ToV PS3 or Graces, they'd do it like Magna Carta 2. In house! :lol tragic situation if they really kept you guys out of it though.

Which did Symphonia 2?

Meh I have hope. I remeber when Yakuza 3 was never coming over in English. Some, like myself, were so desparate that we wanted to beleive the rumours that Ignition were picking it up. Now it's coming in March, from Sega.
The impossible happened once, it can happen again. Sega and Namco are pretty much equally insane in thier own right so anything is in the table, all the time.
This is NeoGAF, you gotta believe. :lol

This is saddening :( Graces is coming over is good (not unexpected to me though) but I'd wanna play ToV PS3 for whenever I got a PS3.

Redd

Damn shame the 360 version sold so little in the States. I remember getting a really good price when I traded my copy in to buy Assassins Creed 2. Really thought a PS3 version would be out by now.

Lyonaz

I give Namco Bandai till the summer to announce it, after that I'll just buy it for my recently bought Xbox 360.

I do want the PS3 version though. =(

akakaze

Banned
john tv said:

I guess that answers the question about Graces. No Graces either. A shame, especially after the half-assed Tales of Symphonia "X-2" Dawn of the New World...

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
grandjedi6 said:
To elaborate:

Gamecube's RPG lineup pre-Symphonia:
•Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
•Lost Kingdoms
•Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
•Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
•Gladius
•Pokémon Colosseum
•Skies of Arcadia: Legends

PS3's current RPG lineup:
•Battle Fantasia
•Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
•Borderlands
•Demon's Souls
•Disgaea 3
•Dragon Age: Origins
•The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
•Enchanted Arms
•Eternal Sonata
•Fallout 3
•Final Fantasy XIII
•Folklore
•Genji: Days of the Blade
•Marvel Ultimate Alliance
•Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
•Penny Arcade Adventures
•Yakazu 3
•Sacred 2
•Star Ocean 4
•Valkyria Chronicles
•White Knight Chronicles​

And no, the Gamecube's post-Symphonia lineup isn't much better as all you add for the most part is Fire Emblem, another shitty Pokemon console game, and Baten Kaitos I & II. And yes, I'm missing some PS3 titles, aren't I?

BIG correction
•Battle Fantasia...Not an RPG... a 1 on 1 fighting game
•Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War...is like Dynasty Warriors...not an RPG
•Genji: Days of the Blade...is like Dynasty Warriors games Not an RPG
•Yakazu 3... Not an RPG...more of an advture game...More of a cross between virtua fighters meets GTA

Calling these RPGs are a big Stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom