• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any announcements for Tales of Vesperia PS3 - Stateside??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
Not to be a downer because I really do think Graces US is a sure bet, but couldn't the 1-2 person "localization staff" in the Japanese credits for Vesperia & Graces simply be the people translating the English that's already in the Japanese version? Like on signs and town names, etc...

androvsky

Kasumi1970 said:
BIG correction
•Battle Fantasia...Not an RPG... a 1 on 1 fighting game
•Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War...is like Dynasty Warriors...not an RPG
•Genji: Days of the Blade...is like Dynasty Warriors games Not an RPG
•Yakazu 3... Not an RPG...more of an advture game...More of a cross between virtua fighters meets GTA

Calling these RPGs are a big Stretch.

List is missing Cross Edge and Record of Agarest War for the PS3. They may be crappy (I kinda enjoyed Cross Edge), but they really are RPGs. Of course, if this is supposed to be the PS3's current lineup, several of those games aren't released yet in the U.S., and another fair chunk were released after Vesperia PS3 came out in Japan. Let's look at what came before, since we're comparing to pre-Symphonia Gamecube...

Cross Edge
Disgaea 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Enchanted Arms
Eternal Sonata
Fallout 3
Folklore
Penny Arcade Adventures
Sacred 2
Valkyria Chronicles

Did I miss any?

Namco Bandai should release it in the late Summer/Fall of 2010. I don't know of any other major PS3 releases coming out during that window of time. It is a no-brainer.

Kishgal

Banned
Bebpo said:
Not to be a downer because I really do think Graces US is a sure bet, but couldn't the 1-2 person "localization staff" in the Japanese credits for Vesperia & Graces simply be the people translating the English that's already in the Japanese version? Like on signs and town names, etc...
Well, yes, but I think the part that was interesting was that this credit was removed from the PS3 version of Vesperia. I suppose the question is, then, whether this credit exists in any of the other Japanese-only Tales games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
grandjedi6 said:
To elaborate:

Gamecube's RPG lineup pre-Symphonia:
•Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
•Lost Kingdoms
•Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
•Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
•Gladius
•Pokémon Colosseum
•Skies of Arcadia: Legends

PS3's current RPG lineup:
•Battle Fantasia
•Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
•Borderlands
•Demon's Souls
•Disgaea 3
•Dragon Age: Origins
•The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
•Enchanted Arms
•Eternal Sonata
•Fallout 3
•Final Fantasy XIII
•Folklore
•Genji: Days of the Blade
•Marvel Ultimate Alliance
•Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
•Penny Arcade Adventures
•Yakazu 3
•Sacred 2
•Star Ocean 4
•Valkyria Chronicles
•White Knight Chronicles​

And no, the Gamecube's post-Symphonia lineup isn't much better as all you add for the most part is Fire Emblem, another shitty Pokemon console game, and Baten Kaitos I & II. And yes, I'm missing some PS3 titles, aren't I?

I like how you're being extra generous on what you'd consider an PS3 RPG and being fairly strict on what counts as a GCN RPG.

Gamecube got around 20-30 RPGs depending on how strict or loose you'd want to go. Sure, only seven or so of those were any good, and only a few of those were entirely exclusive, but there you go.

Regardless, PS3 is going to end up a lot better even without ToV coming over to the US. You can always import it after all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Synless said:
I'm surprised you haven't imported it.

I was going to but expenses went to other things. Might import it when it price drops later this year if a US version is never announced by then.

I bit on 360 version of vesperia when amazon had it for $15 b/c its been too long and I don't think an enhanced ps3 version in america is ever happening. Of course I haven't had time to play it since I got it so maybe I'm the fool in the end.

Raw64life

I own every console except for 360 and ToV is pretty much the only game I'm considerably pissed about not coming out on other consoles. Doubly pissed because they've already localized it, and released a PS3 version in Japan but are inexplicably not releasing it stateside. I mean, it can't possibly cost them that much money when they've already ported it and translated a version of the game.

mugwhump

Hopefully graces ntsc gets some hefty bug fixes

A new key item has also been added called the "Artes Ball" which allows an additional 8 Artes Shorcuts can be assign to the left analog stick which allows for a maximum of 16 Artes.
baaaaaaaaaw I want :(
All tales games should have this

Nirolak said:
According to AniHawk it crawled to 130k eventually, but it launched with like 37k, so I imagine Namco didn't sell all of those at full price to retailers.

Vesperia actually didn't drop in price for a loooooong time, so in fact the majority of those almost certainly were at full price and that makes it like the second-most successful Tales game in the US, but it's still pretty crappy overall.

darkwings said:
I just cant agree with that reason. The gamecube had a decent list of rpgs compared to all nintendo systems except for the snes.

There were, literally, zero good original full-on RPGs on GCN when Symphonia released, and when you factor in ports it climbs to one.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Count me in the "rather have Graces" camp as well.

Yep. I'd rather have both (and also a pony) but given the shittacular options available in reality, I'd rather have Graces.

Bebpo said:

A localization credit could possibly be that, yes, but the specific credit for Jeremy Clark wouldn't fit that, since he's a localization producer and not a translator.

Ravidrath

john tv said:
The cost to localize TOV's PS3-added content vs. the cost to localize ES's PS3-added content is probably something like 20:1. The ES script is like 10% the size of the TOV one -- even if it did have a 50% increase (which it didn't), it wouldn't be anywhere near as costly as TOV.

I want PS3 TOV more than anyone, but considering the sales of the 360 version (dismal from what I heard -- anyone have NPDs?), I wouldn't hold my breath.

Unless Namco is using someone else for the additional localization, that would seem to kill this.

Makes me wonder what's up with the Euro releases popping up, though.

cress2000

charlequin said:
Vesperia actually didn't drop in price for a loooooong time, so in fact the majority of those almost certainly were at full price and that makes it like the second-most successful Tales game in the US, but it's still pretty crappy overall.

As a niche game (cause Tales really isn't going to be anything more than that here, no matter what they try. Symphonia was an anomaly, and that ain't ever happening again.), I think it did very well. As I stated in another thread a short while ago, numbers like these would have been a tremendous success for a company like Atlus. Namco's apparent expectations are insanely unreasonable.

On the other hand, there's STILL a fair bit of demand for this game even though it's out of print. Sealed copies are around the same price as MSRP now...and the price continues to climb. I have no idea how much this would affect potential PS3 version sales but might as well throw it out there. It has good word of mouth, at least.

If they reuse the bits and pieces of the 360 localization, and add whatever's necessary to the PS3 version, they can't possibly need to sell more than say, 10k units to make up the difference...judging from some of the things Vic has said in the past.

But whatever. Carry on with the pissing off of the the English-speaking fanbase, Namco.

charlequin said:
A localization credit could possibly be that, yes, but the specific credit for Jeremy Clark wouldn't fit that, since he's a localization producer and not a translator.

Past Tales localization producers (Nao Higo and Peter Garza...especially Garza) have left the impression that they've done a lot of work on their localizations directly, including some translating (menu stuff) and editing (script). I don't know about Jeremy Clark.

On another note, Peter Garza (responsible for Legendia, Abyss, Radiant Mythology, Vesperia, and as a consultant for Dawn of the New World), left Namco for Tecmo last April. Garza handled the series within his power extremely well; the games he was involved with had the best localizations by far, IMO. (I'd actually be slightly worried about how consistent the new localized parts of a possible PS3 version would be to the 360's without his guidance.)

cress2000 said:
Namco's apparent expectations are insanely unreasonable.

Well, let me put it this way: I think in an alternate universe, where a company with anything vaguely resembling competence was managing the franchise rather than Scamco pissing into the wind in Japan and the US both, I think you could have gotten something like Vesperia up above 200k copies sold in the US. And I can see how, say, the cost of VA would push the "profitable" point on something like Vesperia up above your average non-Persona Atlus title, say.

But whatever. Carry on with the pissing off of the the English-speaking fanbase, Namco.

They don't need encouragement to do this. In fact, they like it so much they started doing it to the Japanese fanbase too. :lol

Past Tales localization producers (Nao Higo and Peter Garza...especially Garza) have left the impression that they've done a lot of work on their localizations directly, including some translating (menu stuff) and editing (script).

True, although I still wouldn't expect them to be the people called in to handle a few random bits of English in the Japanese release.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
For what it's worth, my local GS manager swears that it's coming to the PS3 this year. And he was right about a couple of games before they were announced and had SKUs, such as Assassin's Creed 2 Discovery for the DS, most recently. He hasn't let me down yet!

hirokazu

Mejilan said:
For what it's worth, my local GS manager swears that it's coming to the PS3 this year. And he was right about a couple of games before they were announced and had SKUs, such as Assassin's Creed 2 Discovery for the DS, most recently. He hasn't let me down yet!
He is our only hope. :/

how did Sega end up noticing the online demand for Yakuza 3? Could Namco possibly be made to notice demand for Tales games in a similar way?

KGKK

Banned
Hey if Yakuza 3 can come to N/A so can this:D

Summer would be a perfect time to release a game like this.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I imported it. I don't know any japanese but since I had already beat it twice on x360 playing it in japanese was no problem.

K.Sabot

Culex said:
So am i hearing this right that there is no CONFIRMATION that Graces is coming to America?
No, not yet. Wait until April - May for something, if not, then we're fucked.

In other better news, I found a copy of Tales of Legendia!

this thread makes me sad. i've been wanting to play ToV for a long time and i feel like it's slipping through my fingers now.

if namcobandai decided to outsource a different company to do the localization (as john said is possible), what advantage would they have for doing that? cheaper? faster? doesn't seem like it would make sense to suddenly switch companies. unless there is some logistical stuff that i don't know about behind the scenes involving it being released overseas. maybe they're hiring a company in europe/america/canada? bahh, who knows.

dammit.

akakaze

Banned
With so few decent JRPGs available on the current-gen consoles (yes, Wii too) and everything on the portable systems, withholding these games from worldwide release is a huge wasted opportunity.

Scamco has no interest in us.

*angry*

darkwings

Banned
Culex said:
So am i hearing this right that there is no CONFIRMATION that Graces is coming to America?

time to have faith in fantranslation, yo

stgjaf4.png

Tales is probably the only major game series that fans tend to end up relying on fan translations for. :( Why does Namco have to be so... conservative? (Is that the right word?)

If Tales of Vesperia is announced for the PS3 in North America, I promise that I'll buy a PS3 just for that... Especially if it has full N.American voice acting. I don't know though, because, if the voice actors haven't gone in to record new lines... but I don't want to give up hope so easily!

Rpgmonkey

Kishgal said:
Well, yes, but I think the part that was interesting was that this credit was removed from the PS3 version of Vesperia. I suppose the question is, then, whether this credit exists in any of the other Japanese-only Tales games.

Referencing Datschge's wiki, the only games to mention a localization team in the credits of the Japanese version are Vesperia 360 and Graces.

These are just my assumptions and someone with more knowledge may have to tell the real deal, but in the case of Vesperia, I guess you could say that the localization was tied closely to the game's development to ensure that it had a small gap between the releases of the Japanese version and the North American version, so even the Japanese version credits them. I don't really know what's going on with Graces (maybe localization was tied to development here as well, but for whatever reason(s), it can't be announced just yet).

NolbertoS

So...I guess TOV isn't coming to the PS3, based on all the GAF posts :(...I might have to rebuy my Xbox CE version for the same amount that I sold it on ebay...:( :(..those things are so rare even moreso nowadays..before I take plunge, GAF, Is everybody certain once and for all that TOV PS3 isn't coming at all?? Might want to keep my TOV game for collection purposes, than, and if the PS3 version does come out, resell the Xbox360 version on ebay. Well...here's to the ebay plunge I guess.

Edit: I wanted the Loli pirate too :( :(

NolbertoS said:
So...I guess TOV isn't coming to the PS3, based on all the GAF posts :(...I might have to rebuy my Xbox CE version for the same amount that I sold it on ebay...:( :(..those things are so rare even moreso nowadays..before I take plunge, GAF, Is everybody certain once and for all that TOV PS3 isn't coming at all?? Might want to keep my TOV game for collection purposes, than, and if the PS3 version does come out, resell the Xbox360 version on ebay. Well...here's to the ebay plunge I guess.

Not 100% sure but the chances seem quite slim. The most rage inducing thing is that the Namco Bandai scum won't just come out and say it isn't coming because they like trolling their fanbase. Apparently most of their stuff is announced in March-April so you may want to wait till then.

lucablight said:
Not 100% sure but the chances seem quite slim. The most rage inducing thing is that the Namco Bandai scum won't just come out and say it isn't coming because they like trolling their fanbase.
Word on that. The most hilarious/ridiculous thing they've ever said was in an interview with Siliconera after DotNW was released; where it was mentioned they plan to take a "well-deserved deep breath" before deciding on their next Tales release. (This interview was released in Oct. 2008)

>_<

Yes, by all means Namco USA, don't strain yourselves. You must be winded from the avalanche of Tales games you've been releasing in North America.

Firestorm

NolbertoS said:

How much did you sell it for?

NolbertoS

Firestorm said:
How much did you sell it for?

I sold my TOV CE, 7 months ago for $140US..I see it going on eBay for brand new and factory sealed for the same amount...should've kept my copy, but I was broke, jobless and bored with gaming than.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gunloc said:
Word on that. The most hilarious/ridiculous thing they've ever said was in an interview with Siliconera after DotNW was released; where it was mentioned they plan to take a "well-deserved deep breath" before deciding on their next Tales release. (This interview was released in Oct. 2008)

>_<

Yes, by all means Namco USA, don't strain yourselves. You must be winded from the avalanche of Tales games you've been releasing in North America.

You're just being silly; the localization people saying they are taking a break isn't worth that kind of rage, especially since its not their fault. Its not like they are two guys goofing off and deciding not to release Tales of games as if they were the deciders of such a thing.

Also, in retrospect, that statement obviously meant no Tales of games for 2009. Hopefully they haven't said anything similar recently :lol

Firestorm

NolbertoS said:
I sold my TOV CE, 7 months ago for $140US..I see it going on eBay for brand new and factory sealed for the same amount...should've kept my copy, but I was broke, jobless and bored with gaming than.
Man, mine only went for $110 + $50 shipping around Christmas =(

TheChaos

Takao said:
So along with Vesperia, we can rule out Tales Of The World 2, and Tales Of Versus, right?

Hearts, too. Namco apparently hates the thought of people overseas enjoying a Tales game on the DS.

darkwings

Banned
funny how Tales is my favorite jrpg franchise these days, and that you have to sit and pray that they even get localized :/

darkwings

Banned
TheChaos said:
Hearts, too. Namco apparently hates the thought of people overseas enjoying a Tales game on the DS.

nah they'll bring over the shitty spinoffs while they leave the mothership games at home.

hteng

Banned
this thread just reminded me that i have to finish the game, i think you guys shouldn't wait if you don't mind the japanese texts and story (the story is typical anime cliche and don't deserve your attention) the gameplay is awesome, you'll probably need a guide from gamefaqs though.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
darkwings said:
nah they'll bring over the shitty spinoffs while they leave the mothership games at home.
Haven't they only brought over 1 of those "shitty spinoffs"? Well 2 if you count Symphonia Wii, but that isn't exactly the same.

Eternal Sleeper said:
I'm still waiting for NA version of Tales of Hearts *cough*
Not happening. Namco has never published a Tales of game later than 1 year past its original Japanese release. Plus, its chances were always dim as it was a handheld game with lots of voice acting.

The most hilarious/disappointing part of the DS Tales is that Namco actually was planning on releasing Tales of the Tempest at one point (before deciding to save us from that travesty). They even did some voice work. :lol

grandjedi6 said:
Not happening. Namco has never published a Tales of game later than 1 year past its original Japanese release. Plus, its chances were always dim as it was a handheld game with lots of voice acting.

I know, which is why I added the "*cough*" part >.>

darkwings

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Haven't they only brought over 1 of those "shitty spinoffs"? Well 2 if you count Symphonia Wii, but that isn't exactly the same.

Dunno, but i know they have brought over tales of the world, tales of dungeon games in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom