• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Gamefly Members on GAF?

jmizzal

The shipping was very quick and they ship your next game before they get the one you sent back because of the system they use where they can see when USPS scans the bar code to return it.

Game availability is the only issue, with new titles but I guess that is expected.

Yup its hard with new titles, I might get it and try out TMNT

Philia

My husband and I have Gamefly for a decade. No complaints at all, we are fortunate to live a shipping center though. (Virginia) We'd see a two day turnaround. And if we clear our queue completely and queue up a new game release a few days prior, we are usually 75% lucky to get it shipped right away depending on their availability.

I had it for a few months, but the games kept getting lost in transit so they ended my subscription, probably a sticky fingered post person

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just got a $1 promo month as a "please come back" email. I signed up so I can try all the PSVR games this coming month.

Samikaze

Been a member since 2008, and haven't had any mishaps.

My only complaint would be that their new program for "fast shipping", (they ship as soon as your game gets checked in the post office), is inconsistent. It only affects a few arbitrary games.

For those complaining about not being able to get new releases: leave an empty slot in your Q. That's what I've always done and I always get new releases.

Malus

I've enjoyed the experience I've had with Gamefly in the past year. The shipping time can be annoying, and one of my games arrived busted, but the value is still very good. I got the Steamworld Collection day 1 by having it in my queue before it released. It also helps that they offer me discounted memberships every once in a while. One time I got a month for 1 dollar :)

Xevren

Been with them since PS2 days. They're the best, just make sure to leave a spot empty on a game's release date if you want a new release, only time that doesn't work is summer sometimes. Love em.

hollomat

Banned
It's not worth it. With GCU and that visa checkout deal, you can buy a game for $39 including tax and trade it in for the same price within the first 2 weeks after release.

I've been using them as my de-facto source on retail releases. They always seem to be the most up-to-date and I can see the release schedule visually, which I really enjoy.

They even have Isaac as a 3/17 release which is consistent with the other retailers. I think it will be a launch title, but the physical release is going to slip a couple of weeks.

Quonny

Been using them pretty much exclusively for 4+ years.

Nothing beats playing a game at launch and beating it for under $6.

It's not worth it. With GCU and that visa checkout deal, you can buy a game for $39 including tax and trade it in for the same price within the first 2 weeks after release.

I am a collector. I don't trade in my games.

I can't tell my gamefly "keep it" games from ones I bought in the shrink wrap anymore.

Kilvas

I did it for 3 months during a promo. It was alright, but now my library keeps up with the current releases. I think its good if you want to try a lot of games to see what you like.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I bought 6 months of it last year and it was well worth it. Games took about 4 days to get there and 4 days back. As long as I had a open slot I got new games sent on the day of release.. Didn't resub only because there wasn't much out I wanted to play.

Also that 5 dollar off used games coupon you get every 3 months or so is really nice.

RedSwirl

Been a member since 2008 I believe. Around that time anyway.

It seems designed to work best when it's your primary way of getting games. If you keep your Que stacked with the latest releases shipping times aren't that bad. Arguably the best part is buying used games from GameFly. If you receive a game around launch and decide to keep it, you basically pay used price for a new-condition game. No matter when you buy the game the packaging is going to be in basically new condition because you'll be the first customer who's ever touched it.

My situation is weird though: for multi-plats I've been using consoles as rental machines ever since I started using GameFly. If I like a game enough I just send it back and get the PC version. GF is still pretty much the best way for me to try games before buying them though. Haven't been renting as much recently because of my backlog.

Movie rentals are neat too I guess.

How is that an added value over keeping a $39 game bought from Bestbuy?

Depends on the game. I have found new games are better bought new using GCU. For Nintendo games, I have yet to find a better deal through Gamefly recently. However on the PS4 side of things they still have some really cheap used deals.

jf DOOM

I live in Tampa Bay so when the distribution center was in Tampa it was incredible because I would get games next day. When they closed the center I was getting games shipped from Pittsburg and it was taking far too long so I cancelled my membership.

Sterba

I currently use it. I buy the Gift Certificate for 2 games/3 months and costs $36.50. $12 a month for 2 games is a steal if you get what you want. I also added 2 more games on for 14 more a month for a total of 4 games out.

I personally get pretty lucky I guess. I've gotten every new release game that I've wanted so far. Of course has to be in Q before games releases, and you need to have an open spot for them to send it to you. If you try to get a game after release, it'll be pretty damn tough. So I pretty much use my membership for new games coming out soon. If you're looking to get GF for games that have come out in the last month or two, it'll be tough to get what you want.

For actual shipping times: My primary warehouse is in Pittsburgh and I'm close to Philly. They ship new releases out on Monday, and 9/10 I'll have it on Wednesday.

Have had an active GF membership for the last year and it's been fantastic for me. Averaging about 3 new releases a month.

I live in Tampa Bay so when the distribution center was in Tampa it was incredible because I would get games next day. When they closed the center I was getting games shipped from Pittsburg and it was taking far too long so I cancelled my membership.

Rightttt wtf. Those were the good times.

I did before I moved to pc last year. Sometimes I got lucky and got a new release, but most months the shipping was so slow I'd only get to rent two games a month. Wasn't worth the cost after I managed to play some of the older PS4 exclusives I had missed.

Damn! Jealous af.I just wish the mailman scan the games so I could get another game in my Q faster.

Graciaus

I play any and all new releases I want at launch. The trick is to only have that game on your list before it comes out. 99% success rate like that. Now if you mess that up you will be waiting awhile. Shipping time from Pittsburg to massachussets is 3 days almost always to get the game.Giving it back can vary.

I don't beat many games these days so it lets me try a lot of different games. I've been a member for years.

I used to subscribe, but I just wasn't playing many games for a time and canceled. I'm around Chicago, so I was getting games from Pittsburgh. That was a bummer. Sometimes they would ship my next game the day after I dropped my return in the mail due to their fast ship program. But more often than not, I would wait 5 or more days from dropping off a return to receiving a new game with Fast Ship never kicking in.
I found myself rushing through games just to get another so that I felt like I was getting my money's worth. I didn't feel like I was enjoying the games I got from them because of that. Didn't like that, but that was on me more than anything.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Since im already covered for the rest of February, I decided to try to get Sniper Elite 4 and surprisingly, it was shipped out to me today. Hope to get it by Saturday.

Best of all, I can return my sealed copy to Best Buy and get a refund since I don't need to spend money on the game due to GameFly.

In general, GameFly is better for older games as I was able to get everyone I wanted since September 29th when I signed up. I don't really have any more games that I need to play so I'll most likely cancel my sub in late March. Would do it this month but I still have COD: IW and want to finish it before cancelling my sub.

Been a member for eleven years. Service is much better than it was back then when they only had the one distribution center in LA. Remember the orange envelopes?

I use it as a way to play games that look interesting but I don't want or need to play it day one. Or for games that look dumb and I wouldn't want to buy but I'll rent and play for a week or two. I find it works best that way than trying to get new releases right away.

Been a member since 2009.
I was in NY when I first subscribed and games used to take about 3-4 days to arrive. But by 2010 I moved to CA and it was a huge change, mainly because I live near one of their LA centers. So I get games in 2-3 days. For example I'm getting For Honor tomorrow or Thursday. And it's been like that for the past 7 years and the $5 coupons every 3 months are great.

It's thanks to Gamefly that I have managed to play, try out and become a fan of so many genres in which I wouldn't have bothered taking a risk.

Any negative experiences you hear are definitely from people in the minority. The service is awesome. Takes about 2-3 days to get a game and the same to send it back. Discs usually arrive in good condition and you can receive any game you want if you manage your queue properly.

The deals they have are really good, and being a member for a year makes the deals even better. I stopped using the service once I could afford to buy my own games, so I don't know how on point they are nowadays.

Was a dedicated Gamefly member from 2006 - 2015 since I started buying more games then but now looking to rent again. Their promos for signing up again are amazing but does the "buy 3 months for someone" work around still work?

I usually do the 3 month pre-paid plan for $35 bucks once every year to play through games I don't want to own. Mostly one and done single player games. I usually sell my games after i'm done with them so it works out quite well. I'm usually done with whatever I want within 2 months.

But yes, there's a long turn around for games. A week plus usually for me.

But for an on going subscription, I wouldn't recommend it. There's a handful of games I want day one and you can't count on them for that all the time.

Redd

Yeah. Off and on when they comp me 2 games at a time for a month. Always cancel it because Gamefly never changes. You usually have to wait a few weeks to a month for any new game and all the available games are cheaper if you just buy them used somewhere.

If they could speed up their turnaround time and have more of the newest games available I would keep my subscription.

dab0ne

Nah but i buy games from them all the time. They have good deals on used games pretty regularly and they've always been complete and in good shape when I received them. I recently got the new mirrors edge for $10 and free shipping.

Ensoul

I have it. If you do have the time to finish the games quickly you can really get you monies worth. Tough to get new releases and for me it takes about 4 or 5 days to receive games.

I should probably cancel mine since it takes me months to finish games and it may be cheaper to buy them in the long run.

Smokey

I used it for a while last year. Didn't have any issues. I got games within 3 days and they received them in about as many days, or less.

Piku_Ringo

Banned

In the same boat with this

Just came back on the $1 promo, it's a good time with so many high profile releases lately. Much rather GF it than pay for Yakuza, Nier, Ghost Recon, Mass Effect, Horizon. If I can get and knock out two of those during this $1 month, that'll be fantastic.

Top Bottom