• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Here goes the paranoid side of me. They maintain this database and after a mass shooting it's announced "they bought HUNDREDS of rounds of ammunition before the shooting. We could have stopped this if we limit how much ammunition you can purchase." So then you're limited to say only buying one hundred in a certain time period. A spur of the moment range trip will all of a sudden be very short or just not worth it.

Tinfoil hat off, but it's definitely in the realm of possibility as the next step when again this does absolutely nothing to curb violence

Reven

I'm borrowing this beauty from a buddy's pawn shop over the weekend so I can go shoot some skeet and see if I want to buy it off him. I'm already pretty sure I'm gonna buy it lol. Its an SKB 505.

mb8iMcZh.jpg

appaws

Banned
Here goes the paranoid side of me. They maintain this database and after a mass shooting it's announced "they bought HUNDREDS of rounds of ammunition before the shooting. We could have stopped this if we limit how much ammunition you can purchase." So then you're limited to say only buying one hundred in a certain time period. A spur of the moment range trip will all of a sudden be very short or just not worth it.

Tinfoil hat off, but it's definitely in the realm of possibility as the next step when again this does absolutely nothing to curb violence

I don't think that is worthy of a tinfoil hat at all. You are right on the money.

I don't think that is worthy of a tinfoil hat at all. You are right on the money.
Good to know I'm not turning into one of the overly paranoid!

Anywho, hitting the range today. Taking the Mini 14, DPMS Oracle 308, Colt 1911 and Kimber Micro Carry. Woo hoo!!

Piggus

I'm borrowing this beauty from a buddy's pawn shop over the weekend so I can go shoot some skeet and see if I want to buy it off him. I'm already pretty sure I'm gonna buy it lol. Its an SKB 505.

What's the verdict? I love my Browning Citori lighting. A well-built over-under is a work of art.

Reven

What's the verdict? I love my Browning Citori lighting. A well-built over-under is a work of art.

Oh yeah forgot to post the update. Went and paid for it yesterday, had a great round of skeet with it on Sunday morning. I figure it will last my whole life so its worth it.

LiamA

Threw a BCMGUNFIGHTER Mod 4 charging handle into my AR, holy shit that's a big difference. Makes manipulating the handle so much nicer! I highly recommend grabbing one since they're only $50. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm-gfh-mod-4-556.htm

I'm a big fan of the BCMGUNFIGHTER ambi charging handles. I've got them in both of my ARs. Only reason I'd switch them out is if it turns out I need a gas buster charging handle.

Piggus

Decided to replace the heavy-ass aluminum quad rail on my AR with a polymer one. Sooo much lighter. And yes, I know m-lock and whatnot is the thing to get. But I was going for more of a military look. The .223 Wylde barrel on this thing is heavy enough as is, so I need to save weight when possible.

Oh yeah forgot to post the update. Went and paid for it yesterday, had a great round of skeet with it on Sunday morning. I figure it will last my whole life so its worth it.

Nice! Congrats!

Ultryx

Literally so furious about these new gun laws that passed in California. All of the sudden I'm going to be a criminal with my custom built AR-15. I don't want to register (have to pay) and now I'm beginning to subscribe to the school of thought that they are paving their way for confiscation of everything.

Reven

Literally so furious about these new gun laws that passed in California. All of the sudden I'm going to be a criminal with my custom built AR-15. I don't want to register (have to pay) and now I'm beginning to subscribe to the school of thought that they are paving their way for confiscation of everything.

Welcome to the conspiracy club. But its true, I think within the next 5 years California will be the first state to push for a total gun ban on the state level.

Ultryx

Welcome to the conspiracy club. But its true, I think within the next 5 years California will be the first state to push for a total gun ban on the state level.

I'm definitely not in the majority of gun owners either, I think. I identify as progressive, etc. I'm very adamant about the Second Amendment though. I feel so helpless watching it torn apart piece by piece. This is one of the reasons I wish we had Federal level laws so that maybe states who are far overreaching in their authority get put back into place.

Edit: I think I have some decent ideas about gun control also. Give a little, get a little, etc. This topic is frustrating because I support the Second Amendment fully. I also believe that every gun sale or trade should have a background check. We should use our resources to strengthen the background check system, instead of limiting the types of guns, the ammunition sales, and the like.

Were they ever specific about how that ammo law is supposed to work? A background check for ammunition sales? Every time? $25 per ammunition purchase in addition to the cost of ammo? And are they going to pull that 10-day bullshit with ammo too?

appaws

Banned

I know it is no light thing to pull up stakes and move...and I don't suggest it lightly.

But things are not going to get any better there as far as this issue goes. The demographic change that gaffers get so excited about will cement this even further over time, along with spreading it to other places. Some federal court might slow it down or knock back a piece here or there...but there is not going to be any restoration of what California was.

I'm definitely not in the majority of gun owners either, I think. I identify as progressive, etc. I'm very adamant about the Second Amendment though. I feel so helpless watching it torn apart piece by piece. This is one of the reasons I wish we had Federal level laws so that maybe states who are far overreaching in their authority get put back into place.

Edit: I think I have some decent ideas about gun control also. Give a little, get a little, etc. This topic is frustrating because I support the Second Amendment fully. I also believe that every gun sale or trade should have a background check. We should use our resources to strengthen the background check system, instead of limiting the types of guns, the ammunition sales, and the like.

Were they ever specific about how that ammo law is supposed to work? A background check for ammunition sales? Every time? $25 per ammunition purchase in addition to the cost of ammo? And are they going to pull that 10-day bullshit with ammo too?

My dad livs in CT and after the Newtown shooting they required that ammo could only be bought if you have a CCL or took an NRA safety coarse which I believe cost $150 and you would get a card to show that you took it. (don't quote me on that as I am not completely sure)

Reven

HK's are a total addiction. As much as I wanna add a Mark 23 to my collection they're just too damn expensive so I've been shopping around for USP tacticals, even though I already have a 45c I could just buy a threaded barrel for lol.

Those looks great! I think I'm going to pick up the new Colt Defender this week. It's black and blue and now comes standard with tritium sights. I'm pretty excited!

Zyzyxxz

I know it is no light thing to pull up stakes and move...and I don't suggest it lightly.

But things are not going to get any better there as far as this issue goes. The demographic change that gaffers get so excited about will cement this even further over time, along with spreading it to other places. Some federal court might slow it down or knock back a piece here or there...but there is not going to be any restoration of what California was.

As a liberal gun owner (I guess they do exist?) I fully support more laws and restrictions as other countries that have strict gun laws logically have less gun deaths and violence.

If we as gun owners want to protect whats left of our freedom to enjoy firearms we need to work with the community and government and compromise so that we have a say in it as well. The problem right now is you have gun nut GOP politicians and the NRA taking a far too strong stance thats equivalent to a "not even one step back" attitude. It's a losing demographic over a long period of time. Look at gay marriage they said it would be a matter of time until the majority backed it and now it has happened.

If the NRA and its hardcore members don't change their attitude toward gun legislation then eventually they will lose all influence. It's better that they can salvage what they can before gun owners get isolated out of the conversation about the future of the 2nd amendment. Less households own firearms now then years past, gun ownership is a declining trend so if we don't advocate for change as well then the majority will decide for us eventually whether it be 10, 20, or 30 years from now depending on how many more tragic violent gun acts and massacres happen in that time frame.

appaws

Banned
As a liberal gun owner (I guess they do exist?) I fully support more laws and restrictions as other countries that have strict gun laws logically have less gun deaths and violence.

If we as gun owners want to protect whats left of our freedom to enjoy firearms we need to work with the community and government and compromise so that we have a say in it as well. The problem right now is you have gun nut GOP politicians and the NRA taking a far too strong stance thats equivalent to a "not even one step back" attitude. It's a losing demographic over a long period of time. Look at gay marriage they said it would be a matter of time until the majority backed it and now it has happened.

If the NRA and its hardcore members don't change their attitude toward gun legislation then eventually they will lose all influence. It's better that they can salvage what they can before gun owners get isolated out of the conversation about the future of the 2nd amendment. Less households own firearms now then years past, gun ownership is a declining trend so if we don't advocate for change as well then the majority will decide for us eventually whether it be 10, 20, or 30 years from now depending on how many more tragic violent gun acts and massacres happen in that time frame.

I don't want to make this into a gun control argument thread, there are plenty of those on GAF, and I really don't post in them anymore because I am just tired of being called names by "tolerant" anti-gunners.

The problem with being reasonable and "compromise" is that their demands are open-ended and endless. Some of the anti-gunners are just naive but have good intentions and they think they can make us safer. But the leadership and funders of their movement are not in it for safety, they are statists who believe the government should have a monopoly on force. They look down on "flyover country" and the bitter clingers to guns and religion with a sneer.

Ask yourself what level of gun control would it take to make you, as a "liberal" happy with the "common sense" compromise? Now ask yourself, do you think Michael Bloomberg and George Soros and Rebecca Peters would be happy with that same outcome? If you are honest, you must admit the answer is no.

tfur

Well, they are clearly looking to make things harder to get. See California, see Obama and NFA items with 41p -> 41f. See secret no fly lists, no private sales etc.

I got my form 1 docs in last month, and my form 4 should arrive Monday. Now I get to wait for at least half a year. It is unclear as to what the procedure will be come July 13th for NFA items.

With all the news, and the nuts shooting up everything, it's only going to get worse.

Chorazin

I have zero issues with background checks, banning violent offenders from owning, no automatic weapons, and hell even 3-5 day waiting periods. Other than that, nothing else should infringe on the 2nd.

I wish more people would actually spend the time on training that they do adding "wicked tacticool partz"to their AR-15s though. Can't wait for more Pistol and my first Rifle training days in a month! :-D

Saw a transit authority bus with a Federal Premium advertisement plastered on one whole side. I live in one of the few states that you would see something like that, lol.
Utah.

hwalker84

I have zero issues with background checks, banning violent offenders from owning, no automatic weapons, and hell even 3-5 day waiting periods. Other than that, nothing else should infringe on the 2nd.

I wish more people would actually spend the time on training that they do adding "wicked tacticool partz"to their AR-15s though. Can't wait for more Pistol and my first Rifle training days in a month! :-D

It's much better to have a couple of guns and spend the rest on training then a shitload of money on a soop't up AR that you can't run well.

MickD

Also curious on how to sell all this ammo - were talking pallets of 5.56. I have a ton of it as well as reloading accessories I have no intention of keeping

Zyzyxxz

I don't want to make this into a gun control argument thread, there are plenty of those on GAF, and I really don't post in them anymore because I am just tired of being called names by "tolerant" anti-gunners.

The problem with being reasonable and "compromise" is that their demands are open-ended and endless. Some of the anti-gunners are just naive but have good intentions and they think they can make us safer. But the leadership and funders of their movement are not in it for safety, they are statists who believe the government should have a monopoly on force. They look down on "flyover country" and the bitter clingers to guns and religion with a sneer.

Ask yourself what level of gun control would it take to make you, as a "liberal" happy with the "common sense" compromise? Now ask yourself, do you think Michael Bloomberg and George Soros and Rebecca Peters would be happy with that same outcome? If you are honest, you must admit the answer is no.

Well I don't want to start any debates but I'll leave it that most non-gun owners don't understand what makes guns dangerous so we should be educating them and have open discussion. Otherwise at this rate we will prob only be able to own nerf-guns and even those won't be allowed to be open carry.

rykomatsu

The problem right now is you have gun nut GOP politicians and the NRA taking a far too strong stance thats equivalent to a "not even one step back" attitude.

Hasn't the NRA thrown the lawmakers a bone and said that their specific problem with gun control laws is lack of due process if someone is denied their 2A right?

I have 5.56 ammo for sale. Big boxes for sale. PM me if interested. No scars for sale. Any tips on sighting in these? Sighting in the scar heavy and light.

The same way you sight anything else. Shoot three or five-round groups through large paper at 25yds, then adjust sights. Move out to 50, repeat, etc.

MickD

I'd rather sell per 1000. It's federal. I'll take like 50% off cost if you pay shipping. Shipping out of W. Colorado. Unless you're local we can meet.

I'll know more next week when I travel up there. My uncle just killed himself so I was cleaning out his entire place and found a closet with like four palettes of 5.56! It took me an entire uhaul to move it to my ranch. If you are truly interested pm me.

There's also reloading shit which I definitely will never use.

MickD

Perfect thanks! Also does anyone know anything about the HK Model 91? I've watched some videos on it but it's a bit intimidating.

Piggus

Perfect thanks! Also does anyone know anything about the HK Model 91? I've watched some videos on it but it's a bit intimidating.

Send to me on indefinite loan and I'll let you know how it is.

EDIT: Seriously though, it's a very rare gun and it's worth a lot of money. Probably $3000+ if it's in good condition and depending on the specific variant.

Piggus

SGAmmo has some really good deals on AR-15 and AK mags right now. Black steel AR mags with serial numbers for $9 (I bought some of these earlier and they are very nice) along with new Croatian AK mags with bolt hold-open followers for $13.

eu2216U.jpg

FmoS2PT.jpg

Pretty good deal on pmags too.

EDIT: Just arrived, and wow! These are amazing AK mags. Very solid with no mag wobble at all, and the bolt hold-open is nice (though probably more useful if you have a notched safety lever). Definitely buying more of these later.

NxDpE6H.jpg

hwalker84

Finally got rid of all my .40's
Got rid of:
XDM 5.25
HK P30L LEM
HK VP40
Baby Desert Eagle

Picked up:
HK USP 45 Compact (added Trijcon HD Orange NS)
Glock 34 MOS (Put on Dawson Precision MOS NS)
Vickers Glock 19
HK 45 Tactical
FNS 9 Long Slide
Walther PPQ M2 (Broke the frame on my 5 inch needed to but a hole new gun to get the frame. Now I have two pistols essentially because the five inch slide works on the four inch)

Ultryx

Got two in jail right now. I can pick them up after 3pm on Monday. California's 10-day waiting period is hell, especially when you have already purchased firearms before.

Got a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm and a Mossberg 500 Persuader. Will update on Monday with some photos. This is my first shotgun. Been wanting one for quite some time.

Got two in jail right now. I can pick them up after 3pm on Monday. California's 10-day waiting period is hell, especially when you have already purchased firearms before.

Got a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm and a Mossberg 500 Persuader. Will update on Monday with some photos. This is my first shotgun. Been wanting one for quite some time.
This is my EDC. I have had it since they came out a few years back. I love it so much. The 8rd limit sucks but Strike Industries announced that they are making a +2 add on for them. I will be ordering about 6. One for each mag (which I hate hoe much $ they are.)

Also S&W announced the Shield is coming out in a .45 soon.

Ultryx

This is my EDC. I have had it since they came out a few years back. I love it so much. The 8rd limit sucks but Strike Industries announced that they are making a +2 add on for them. I will be ordering about 6. One for each mag (which I hate hoe much $ they are.)

Also S&W announced the Shield is coming out in a .45 soon.

Awesome! Yeah, I've heard great things about the Shield. I'm looking forward to picking both that and the shotgun up. I'm planning on training with the Shield and attempting to get a CCW permit for my locale. Should be easier in my county.

Hmm I was thinking about picking up the magazine followers/springs that add 1 round to the magazines. So it changes from 7 to 8 and 8 to 9, I think.

Top Bottom