• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Got a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm and a Mossberg 500 Persuader. Will update on Monday with some photos. This is my first shotgun. Been wanting one for quite some time.
I'd like to get one too. Please post your impressions of it. I'm torn between a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870.

Ultryx

I'd like to get one too. Please post your impressions of it. I'm torn between a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870.

Both of those guns are great choices. I think the Mossberg 590A is the only shotgun in that price range to get true milspec certification. I'll let you know what I think of the 500 and I'll post some photos on Monday.

Both of those guns are great choices. I think the Mossberg 590A is the only shotgun in that price range to get true milspec certification. I'll let you know what I think of the 500 and I'll post some photos on Monday.

What value is there really in "true milspec certification?" I don't know if they still do, but Mossberg used to advertise thicker barrel wall thickness on the 590's. It would take tens of thousands of rounds before it ever mattered.

Ultryx

What value is there really in "true milspec certification?" I don't know if they still do, but Mossberg used to advertise thicker barrel wall thickness on the 590's. It would take tens of thousands of rounds before it ever mattered.

I guess an actual milspec certification would mean it stands up to the most use and abuse. More than other models. I just saw someone mention this in a reputable YouTube channel. I'm sure any of the Mossberg 500 series would be a great choice. My factor was more about price. I probably could have got the Maverick 88 and been happy with it, but I ended up pulling for the 500. Should last me my lifetime.

I'll be replacing the trigger guard assembly with the metal ones that Mossberg sells.

hwalker84

Took two family photo's

14046071_660616534260_7750727677522272386_n.jpg

Reven

Nice handguns. Would you mind posting the make and models of them? I can see a few that are H&Ks.

Is that an AR-10 or AR-15?

His top picture is all HK, going counter-clockwise from the top left:

Mark 23
USP Tactical in .45
VP9
USP compact in .45
HK45 Tactical

The bottom picture is all FN, going left to right:

FNS-9 Compact
FNS-9 Longslide
FNX-45 Tactical

Ultryx

Mark 23
USP Tactical in .45
VP9
USP compact in .45
HK45 Tactical

FNS-9 Compact
FNS-9 Longslide
FNX-45 Tactical

Thanks! I really dig the look of the grip on the VP9.

FN SCAR. Most likely the 5.56 version.

She's beautiful. I'm going to have to change my AR-15 to a featureless model, unfortunately.

hwalker84

Mark 23
USP Tactical in .45
VP9
USP compact in .45
HK45 Tactical

FNS-9 Compact
FNS-9 Longslide
FNX-45 Tactical
Close only thing wrong is that's a USP 9 Tactical.

Also that's s SCAR 17. Not 16.

She's beautiful. I'm going to have to change my AR-15 to a featureless model, unfortunately.

The VP9 is a fantastic gun. I can't recommend it enough. And they just came out with one that includes night sights and a threaded barrel from the factory.

Now, I need some help. I've got a nice bonus check coming in next month and I'm torn on what to do. Either a new handgun or a new long gun. For the handgun I'm looking at either a P226 Legion or a USP 9 Tactical. For long guns I have no clue. I'm not sure I want to splurge on the entry fee for a Galil ACE, basically if I'm going to go the long gun route, I'm looking for alternatives to the AR-15 platform. Either way my budget is around $1500.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Ultryx

Just a little post before updating on Monday. Cleaned my Glock 17 and added a Talon Grips wrap. My hands tend to get sweaty when I'm shooting. The grip feels fantastic and completely changed how well I can hold the gun. I can eject the magazine much more easily now, while maintaining a grip that is very close to my shooting grip. Used to have to adjust a little more when dropping a magazine.

Just some photos for those who might be interested.

Reven

I can not heap enough praise on the VP9, its my current CCW. I have had mine over a year and I'm madly in love with it. Its a far better gun than I am a shooter. Easily the best striker fired pistol I have ever tried.

Close only thing wrong is that's a USP 9 Tactical.

Damn I couldn't make out the caliber on the slide.

The VP9 is a fantastic gun. I can't recommend it enough. And they just came out with one that includes night sights and a threaded barrel from the factory.

Now, I need some help. I've got a nice bonus check coming in next month and I'm torn on what to do. Either a new handgun or a new long gun. For the handgun I'm looking at either a P226 Legion or a USP 9 Tactical. For long guns I have no clue. I'm not sure I want to splurge on the entry fee for a Galil ACE, basically if I'm going to go the long gun route, I'm looking for alternatives to the AR-15 platform. Either way my budget is around $1500.

As you can see I'm pretty biased towards HK so I would get the USP Tactical but I have only heard good things about that Legion P226 so you can't really go wrong either way.

I think the Galil ACE is ugly but I would love to have one of the original Galils. Another option to look at if you want to stay with 5.56 would be a HK93 clone.

Ultryx

I can not heap enough praise on the VP9, its my current CCW. I have had mine over a year and I'm madly in love with it. Its a far better gun than I am a shooter. Easily the best striker fired pistol I have ever tried.

The VP9 is a full-size 9mm right? I can't imagine carrying a full-size handgun as a CCW, but you might live in a state where it's more openly accepted or practiced. It's a damn nice looking gun though.

Reven

The VP9 is a full-size 9mm right? I can't imagine carrying a full-size handgun as a CCW, but you might live in a state where it's more openly accepted or practiced. It's a damn nice looking gun though.
I do live in Utah so it's very well accepted but the VP9 is only full size-ish. It's close to the Glock 17 dimensionally and is pretty easy to conceal with an IWB holster, however I am a bigger guy.

hwalker84

My insane buddy has both the P226 legion DA/SA & the DAO version. The DAO one is my favorite if the bunch. It's an incredible pistol. One thing I just am having issues with is I'm not a fan of the sights in the USP tactical. Still would get it over the Sig. I'm slowly building confidence back in Sig after I got a lemon P226 Tacops.

Trying to think of a reason I want this besides the fact that it's a good deal.
Honestly I purchased it as my first deer hunting rifle (had been using my dad's .25 WSSM until now). They also had a .22 WMR Savage bolt action for $99. My sister got it as a Christmas present for her husband.

Last week a friend of mine and I went to a range. Haven't been to a range in at least 5 years. Was pleased with my shots, only one didn't hit the target in some fashion (it hit to the right on the cardboard). Forgot what we shot the first go, but the second was a G17 and I DEFINITELY preferred that.

Not sure if I'll be able to do this anytime soon again since I live in CA and this was in WA. Haven't really researched any ranges in the bay. But hey it was wonderful that I got a chance again!

Not sure if I'll be able to do this anytime soon again since I live in CA and this was in WA. Haven't really researched any ranges in the bay. But hey it was wonderful that I got a chance again!

Where in WA? Just wondering as I live right near Seattle. I go south to Federal Way, or Olympia.

Eyeron

^^^

I don't own an AK yet. My friend recently bought a used Arsenal for $800 and it's pretty nice. It's a Bulgarian Sam7 with a milled receiver. Very fun to shoot and he's put a couple thousand rounds through it with no issues. I believe he found it on armslist.

Pretty much this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/584390411

My next CC gun should be arriving in stores next month. Already set aside the funds. Just need to find a holster.

84478.JPG

https://youtu.be/A1LVe8kWaWU

LiamA

ditiGXF.jpg

It's finished for now. Still weighs in under 7 pounds. When my rifle suppressor is released from NFA jail, I will switch the flash hider for a quick detach mount. I could swap in MBUS Pro sights, but that would be a cosmetic thing only.

hrh8R4n.jpg

Let's see how the light handles the muzzle blast. :V

rykomatsu

Last week a friend of mine and I went to a range. Haven't been to a range in at least 5 years. Was pleased with my shots, only one didn't hit the target in some fashion (it hit to the right on the cardboard). Forgot what we shot the first go, but the second was a G17 and I DEFINITELY preferred that.

Gen4 Glock is not on CA DoJ handgun list, so you wouldn't be able to shoot the same firearm. However, in the South Bay, there are 2 ranges I like.

Indoor - Reed's Indoor Range near San Jose Airport (25yd) Everyone is quite knowledgeable, though it can be quite slow at times in getting through the register if crowded. They will rent firearms, but you will need to purchase their ammo for rental weapons. You will also need to come with a friend (suicide concerns). There's also Target Masters in Milpitas, but they're quite lax on safety...I've been muzzle swept multiple times and have heard the same from others.

Outdoor - Santa Clara County Shooting Range near Morgan Hill along 101. You need your own firearm, but this is a great range. 25 and 50yd lanes for handguns, 50 / 100 / 200 yd lanes for rifles. 200yd are not always available. $15 for use as long as you want, cash only. Will let you fire anything that is legal in CA unlike many ranges that only allow for rimfire ammo for rifles. Nice clean range with awesome staff, also provides use of spotting scopes.

I don't venture north of the South Bay, so dunno what the Peninsula, SF, or East Bay are like.

despire

Does anyone here have a S&W M&P15? Kinda eyeing that one as it seems to have the best value and it's available (I live in Finland).

Reven

Does anyone here have a S&W M&P15? Kinda eyeing that one as it seems to have the best value and it's available (I live in Finland).

Its a great gun. My local gun store is always having them on sale for somewhere around $750 USD and I think of grabbing one every time but I already have enough AR's. Honestly its hard to find a company selling a bad AR15 now a days.

Gen4 Glock is not on CA DoJ handgun list, so you wouldn't be able to shoot the same firearm. However, in the South Bay, there are 2 ranges I like.

Indoor - Reed's Indoor Range near San Jose Airport (25yd) Everyone is quite knowledgeable, though it can be quite slow at times in getting through the register if crowded. They will rent firearms, but you will need to purchase their ammo for rental weapons. You will also need to come with a friend (suicide concerns). There's also Target Masters in Milpitas, but they're quite lax on safety...I've been muzzle swept multiple times and have heard the same from others.

Outdoor - Santa Clara County Shooting Range near Morgan Hill along 101. You need your own firearm, but this is a great range. 25 and 50yd lanes for handguns, 50 / 100 / 200 yd lanes for rifles. 200yd are not always available. $15 for use as long as you want, cash only. Will let you fire anything that is legal in CA unlike many ranges that only allow for rimfire ammo for rifles. Nice clean range with awesome staff, also provides use of spotting scopes.

I don't venture north of the South Bay, so dunno what the Peninsula, SF, or East Bay are like.

Hey thanks for the information! Think I'll skip that second indoor range, I truly appreciate it when people have the same respect for firearms as I do. Don't like visiting places where they're even a little relaxed on things, I dunno just how I am I guess!

LiamA

You can't go wrong with a complete blemish PSA lower and then one of their uppers, imo. Their premium uppers have fairly high quality cold hammer forged and chrome lined barrels made by FN USA. Easy way to get a decent AR for ~$650.

I picked up a barely used Marlin 925. I'll finally have a cheap way to do some plinking and practice trigger control and breathing on rifle shoots. $.50+ for each trigger pull on my AR10 gets really damn expensive!

I also joined a private range here in Houston. I was lucky to get in but orientation is in about two weeks. No more range fees after that!

Chorazin

Thanks. I've been kinda wondering as AFAIK the Sport 2 is arguably worse than thr Sport 1.

Colt M4 Expanse is also an option.

I love my Sport 2, I've had one malfunction in all the rounds I've out through it, and it's accurate as hell even with iron sights.

despire

I love my Sport 2, I've had one malfunction in all the rounds I've out through it, and it's accurate as hell even with iron sights.

Can I ask what ammo do you use? What does the 1/9 barrel prefer? Kinda new to AR's so I'm not sure what to use. AFAIK lighter bullets should work better?

So instead of a P226 Legion, I went with a VP9 Tactical (for the eventual legalization of suppressors) and a Walther PPS M2. Paid about what I would have for the SIG, and I'm very happy with both. I already knew I'd love the VP9 since I have one already though.

Next up (like this week next up) is a Finnish M39, there's a couple on gunbroker but I'm on the fence about $400 for a Mosin-Nagant. Maybe, it is the final form after all.

Then next bonus will be USP Tactical because one's been on my 'I want it' list for a long while.

I'm not crazy for planning my list months and months in advance am I?

Can I ask what ammo do you use? What does the 1/9 barrel prefer? Kinda new to AR's so I'm not sure what to use. AFAIK lighter bullets should work better?

With a 1:9 twist you'll want to stay with bullets that are 55 or 62 grain. It wont spin heavy bullets fast enough and bullets lighter than 50 are generally used for varmint hunting in 1:12 twist.

My 1:7 twist rifle seems like like 75 and 77 grain bullets, but I got the 1:7 twist barrel because I want to take it hunting for deer some time (hopefully next month). If I wasn't interested in hunting I would have gone with a 1:9.

hwalker84

So instead of a P226 Legion, I went with a VP9 Tactical (for the eventual legalization of suppressors) and a Walther PPS M2. Paid about what I would have for the SIG, and I'm very happy with both. I already knew I'd love the VP9 since I have one already though.

Next up (like this week next up) is a Finnish M39, there's a couple on gunbroker but I'm on the fence about $400 for a Mosin-Nagant. Maybe, it is the final form after all.

Then next bonus will be USP Tactical because one's been on my 'I want it' list for a long while.

I'm not crazy for planning my list months and months in advance am I?
Do it!!

Also you're not crazy just smart.

Can I get some advice on Glocks in 10mm? I've decided that to be my next purchase. I just see that they have a few different models so it's making my purchase a little difficult.

Lots of gen 3's still in stock, but the discount is only like $50. Can someone throw out the marketing shit and sum up the gen 3 and 4 differences?

I'm not familiar with Glocks at all but I'll be using this as basically a hunting sidearm and for range fun so with that in mind which model would fit my needs best?

Lastly, anyone think there is a better choice than Glock for a 10mm? I'm open to suggestions

I've seen it recommended. Not because the bullet is more effective than others (definitely is not more effective than 44mag) but just because of the capacity difference. 16 rounds is a lot of insurance

I've seen it recommended. Not because the bullet is more effective than others (definitely is not more effective than 44mag) but just because of the capacity difference. 16 rounds is a lot of insurance

Insurance against what? If you find yourself in a situation with a bear, your 10mm will not be helping, regardless of capacity.

The Gen 4 Glocks added swappable backstraps.

Top Bottom