• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

So my Walther PPS M2 has been reassigned to the nightstand because my girlfriend is the most comfortable with that one. This is fine, because now I have an excuse to pick up one more lol.

Does anyone have experience with Glock 43? I've played around with the one at my local store and I really like how it handles and how the trigger feels compared to larger Glocks.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've decided to go with the Shield. How do I switch the safety to the right side of the gun (lefty) or should I just leave it as is and learn how to shoot right handed? Appreciate the gaf gun community!

HariKari

I've decided to go with the Shield. How do I switch the safety to the right side of the gun (lefty) or should I just leave it as is and learn how to shoot right handed? Appreciate the gaf gun community!

Step up to the M&P 9C and it gets you ambidextrous controls on what is basically the same gun, just slightly thicker (you get extra capacity).

HariKari

I mentioned that gun in the gun shop increase thread. But it seems too big.

You can get the shield with a thumb safety and simply not use it, though I personally wouldn't do that because that's a bad habit to get into. You can get the model without a thumb safety if you are comfortable with the trigger pull weight if you're going to carry with one in the chamber.

Or you could move to a gun that doesn't need a manual safety like a Glock 26, which might fit your hands even better than the Shield.

A safety is pretty important to me. Like I said in the other thread, although the Glock shoots well, getting a gun without a safety as my first personal gun seems like a bad idea.

I'll have to shoot the guns more after I take my handgun class next week at the range. I'm hoping to get used to the safety for all the guns then. Then I'll make my choice and apply for a background check. The more I used them with my right hand the more I got used to it. But size and safety matter the most, especially with girl clothes which are already not ideal for carry. So although the bigger Shield with ambidextrous safety is pretty good for shooting, it's horrible for me regarding concealing.

Chorazin

A safety is pretty important to me. Like I said in the other thread, although the Glock shoots well, getting a gun without a safety as my first personal gun seems like a bad idea.

I'll have to shoot the guns more after I take my handgun class next week at the range. I'm hoping to get used to the safety for all the guns then. Then I'll make my choice and apply for a background check. The more I used them with my right hand the more I got used to it. But size and safety matter the most, especially with girl clothes which are already not ideal for carry. So although the bigger Shield with ambidextrous safety is pretty good for shooting, it's horrible for me regarding concealing.

Gonna be straight with you: Safeties on modern semi-automatic pistols without a hammer are irrelevant, so don't worry so much about it. :) The amount of trigger pull on a stock Shield, SiG, or Glock is so much that there's pretty much zero chance of it getting "stuck" on something if you have it in a holster or specialized carrying case. Especially with a Glock, you'd have to get it stuck in a way where all the pressure is on the tip of the trigger depressing the build in safe action lever. They make some pretty sweet purses designed for concealed carry if you can't comfortably carry in girl clothes, my mom owns a few and loves them.

Get used to carrying with one in the chamber ready to go, that's the only way to carry. Look up videos on Youtube about it, drawing and racking takes so much time that you'll be hit before you can shoot. And those videos are under zero pressure, when you're in a situation where the shit has hit the fan you don't want to aim point and nothing because you didn't rack it. :/

Purses and carrying. I just don't know. I saw a carry purse at the store but didn't get enough time to check it out. I'll look into it but purse carrying definitely seems like a disadvantage.

I definitely plan on racking it with one already in the chamber.

Chorazin

Purses and carrying. I just don't know. I saw a carry purse at the store but didn't get enough time to check it out. I'll look into it but purse carrying definitely seems like a disadvantage.

I definitely plan on racking it with one already in the chamber.

I don't like off-body carry myself either, but sometimes you just gotta put it in a bag and be extra paranoid about it!

Reven

Off body carry can be a little awkward for a bit if you're used carrying on your belt. I carry my gun in my backpack when I go to classes and I sorta would remind myself when I get there that its in my bag for the first few times I did it and now its second habit.

Do they even make an ambi safety for the shield? I thought it would require modifying the right side of the frame.

I would not learn to shoot with your right hand just because you want to fit yourself to a gun. A gun should fit you for carry.

Maybe look at an XDS from Springfield Armory. I believe it comes with a grip safety so you could skip using the thumb safety but still have one.

Or get a Colt Defender and install an ambi safety because the mod is cheap and easy and 1911's are beautiful. I'm j/k... Kinda.

Reven

Speaking of 1911's my buddy just put out a Taurus 9mm 1911 at his pawn shop and I'm lusting after it pretty hard. I love 1911's and it is perfectly heavy so I imagine the recoil has to be pretty minimal but, i can't justify it because my VP9 is already such a great 9mm to shoot.

I can't decide between my next 1911 being in 9mm or in 10mm. I think it will be a Dan Wesson either way and if I'm going to jump in that deep I'm thinking I should also go 10mm.

hwalker84

What's the point of a 9mm 1911? Just get one of those STI double stack .45's.

I love my 1911. Actually there's not a gun I own that I'm not in love with for at least one reason. If i wasn't they get sold with the quickness. My Mark 23 > Any 1911 I've shot so far.

9mm 1911 is just so you can have the classic look of a 1911 but shoot cheaper ammo I think. Or for those folks who don't like the 45 recoil. I mean, let's face it. 1911s are just more beautiful than other handguns. Don't deny it people!

Speaking of - SportsmansGuide has a 3" ATI 1911 for $300 bucks.

Not much but this is my small humble collection. My Mossberg 500, and Glock 22 gen 3 are not pictured as they are 3000 miles away at my parents house. I did not take them on my cross country move since I was not about to get shit stolen from my car or in trouble for transporting them.

9mm 1911 is just so you can have the classic look of a 1911 but shoot cheaper ammo I think. Or for those folks who don't like the 45 recoil. I mean, let's face it. 1911s are just more beautiful than other handguns. Don't deny it people!.
Idk. I think revolvers are the sexiest handguns.

Gun gaf what are your favorite .22 pistols?

I love my little Ruger SR22. Good grip, decent trigger. I love the SA/DA action. Easy to clean. 0 jams after a few mags of break in.

There is one flaw, the takedown lever doubles as a slide stop so there is a chance of that part breaking. The takedown lever was more prone to breaking on the first runs shipped (like mine), and they have since beefed up the materials. I would still suggest you get a SR22 because the Walther's are more prone to jamming, and when you get it order one of these and just replace the part at your convenience.

appaws

Banned
Gun gaf what are your favorite .22 pistols?

I have 2. One is a Ruger Mark I that my old man gave me. It is really old, from the mid-1950s. It jammed a lot, so I had a gunsmith give it the once over and tighten everything up, give it a super cleaning, etc. Works great now...but that's not my favorite...!

My favorite is a Smith and Wesson K-Frame (617). It holds 10 rounds, and is just amazingly fun to shoot.

appaws

Banned
Mmm, have you seen the new Mark IV? https://youtu.be/HjsMSToXO60 Damn fine looking 22 pistol.

Yeah, that looks great. .22 is generally so much fun to shoot, and an important survival round to have, I have always said that a good quality .22 rifle is the most important weapon for anyone to have (after their primary carry weapon).

I also have a 10-22 and a Golden Boy Lever action....have been thinking of buying one of those "survival rifles" that break down into a little package for easy storage or concealment.

appaws

Banned
So here's my question for you all...

Have you ever gotten in trouble for a gun purchase?

My story is, as it started to get warm in my first year of concealed carrying, I was still carrying a full size Springfield XD45 on a daily basis. No problem under my coat on a 6'4" frame. Frankly, I wanted to wear something easier, so I decided on pocket carry. I ran to the fun store and picked out a sweet little .38sp hammerless S&W snubby with crimson trace laser grips and a Desantis pocket holster.

Problem, I didn't clear it with my wife. I finally broke down and told her 2 weeks later. She was furious that I hid it from her after spending that much money. (We were not as well off as we are now). I think I was denied conjugal access for a bit. ;)

She was not mad about the gun purchase, as she is a USPSA shooter and gun enthusiast/NRA member like myself. She was just pissed that I hid it from her. Yeah, she was right.

She does love that particular gun now though...although every time she shoots it she reminds me of my crime.

My story is, as it started to get warm in my first year of concealed carrying, I was still carrying a full size Springfield XD45 on a daily basis. No problem under my coat on a 6'4" frame. Frankly, I wanted to wear something easier, so I decided on pocket carry. I ran to the fun store and picked out a sweet little .38sp hammerless S&W snubby with crimson trace laser grips and a Desantis pocket holster.

Problem, I didn't clear it with my wife. I finally broke down and told her 2 weeks later. She was furious that I hid it from her after spending that much money. (We were not as well off as we are now). I think I was denied conjugal access for a bit. ;)

She was not mad about the gun purchase, as she is a USPSA shooter and gun enthusiast/NRA member like myself. She was just pissed that I hid it from her. Yeah, she was right.

She does love that particular gun now though...although every time she shoots it she reminds me of my crime.

Lol. This gave me a good laugh!

In my case it was that I can not buy a new gun until she got an engagement ring (we been together for 12 years. I owe it to her). She has it and I got my AR

Piggus

Cooked up some pretty nasty 12-pellet #00 (1.5 oz/650 grs) 12 gauge buckshot loads that I'm calling "Ghost" rounds. They're meant to mimic what we see in games. In other words they're powerful shells that yield a wide, even spread. They're not the I'm-responsible-for-every-pellet-and-need-a-tight-group kind of person. Why even own a short shotgun if you're shooting for tight pellet groups? These things will absolutely fuck you at 25 yards or less.

The good news is they pattern quite nicely. The bad news is I actually had to dial them back a bit from the recommended powder charge since recoil was so bad, especially with a pistol grip. Recoil is still bad, but a little more manageable. Might try a slower burning powder and see if it's any better. I'd like to get them reasonably powerful while still being able to use a pistol grip without destroying your wrist after three shots.

ik0WzV6.jpg

WH7lq5G.jpg

teVTI71.jpg

Piggus

EDIT: Woops, double post.

I've been in trouble for a gun I owned, though never for something I purchased.

Not-funny story time: :p

About 7 years ago I was going through a bout of depression related to a number of things. School, relationship, money, etc. A lot of us have been there at one point. Anyway, a friend of mine was concerned about my safety and called the police one night when I wasn't doing so great, thinking I was close to harming myself. Police show up and find my Remington 870, which had about a 15" barrel. And not legally. Man, I remember the officer's reaction when I said 'no' after he asked me if it was registered. But given the situation and that the responding officer knew my family and knew that I'm not some sort of dangerous criminal, he worked his ass off to convince the DA not to press any charges. I was probably more embarrassed than I was relieved I wouldn't be going to prison. My grandfather gave me that shotgun and trusted that I wouldn't do anything stupid. Since then I've become a bit of an expert on gun laws won't be fucking with them ever again.

I've never bought a gun without telling my wife first. Everything else in our life is taken care of and I am the bread winner so when I feel justified in a purchase I tell her.

Amassing a guns list to get next year.

Already got the M&P Shield 9. My first gun.

b5mWe4I.jpg

Next gun will be a Bulgarian Marakov.

JTAB8Lx.jpg

After that, I'm thinking of some kind of Bolt Action Rifle that's a decent price (500~ or so with ample, cheap-ish ammo available)

My last gun will be a p938 since it'll be the most expensive.

I'd love an AR but I'm moving to a place where they need to be featureless and I just dunno if getting a featureless AR is worth it.

Eyeron

Anyone get any Christmas toys?

Nothing for me outside of some ammo. May grab that cz-p10c when it comes out.

I was thinking about buying a Scar 17 but they are currently pretty scarce and very overpriced. Bought a new gaming PC instead.

I did get a custom Glock 19 and a Benchmade 490 Amicus, though.

Bv4hRp8.jpg

hwalker84

I was thinking about buying a Scar 17 but they are currently pretty scarce and very overpriced. Bought a new gaming PC instead.

I did buy a Custom Glock 19 and a Benchmade 490 Amicus, though. Will add pics later.

I may start playing with my current inventory next year. I have a solid base of pistols and rifles. Right now the only thing I'd be buying are guns that are things I just want for whatever reason.

May send the CZ to Cajun Gun Works. May play around with customization's to my G34 MOS.

Thinking about upping my EDC knife but I can't commit to one. I just bought a 5.11 Tactical which has served me well for the last three months.

Eyeron

Thinking about upping my EDC knife but I can't commit to one. I just bought a 5.11 Tactical which has served me well for the last three months.

I'm getting hooked on knife collecting. Inherited some nice ones earlier this year. I rotate between this Benchmade, one of my 4 Spydercos and a Kershaw for EDC. The Amicus isn't very rugged but the blade is super sharp and aluminum handle is light. Definitely a keeper. Eyeballing the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. :D

hwalker84

I'm getting hooked on knife collecting. Inherited some nice ones earlier this year. I rotate between this Benchmade, one of my 4 Spydercos and a Kershaw for EDC. The Amicus isn't very rugged but the blade is super sharp and aluminum handle is light. Definitely a keeper. Eyeballing the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. :D

Last thing I need is another obsession. That being said that Paramilitary 2 is about to be added to my cart... LOL.

Top Bottom