• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

traded my Sig P320C (first handgun) for a CZ SP01 today.

300 rds later....

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I now worship a Steel god.

hwalker84

traded my Sig P320C (first handgun) for a CZ SP01 today.

300 rds later....

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I now worship a Steel god.
Similar thing happened to me.

First gun XDM
Second Springfield TRP 1911
Third CZ SP-01 Tactical
Sold XDM.

Since went back to a ton of striker fired pistols and will one day grab my XDM again.

Quick update :

I held both XD mod 2 and xdm on my hands and felt the grip of the xdm better for me. In terms of barrel size, I got the 4.5 inches, so perfect solution between 4 and 5 lol

I was able to get a very good price on a gun shop locally , ended up paying almost what I would pay if I had bought online and transferred​ to a FFL dealer.

The only problem is that I got a background check delay, and could not pick it up today. The owner said that a delay is getting very common nowadays because a lot of people are buying guns, plus I am a green card holder, so it takes longer. Kind of bummed since I wanted to shoot this holiday

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Every time I see this thread I want to say "this wouldn't have happened if the killer hadn't had a gun!" but that would sadly not be productive at all.

Goofalo

Guys, best site to buy ammo? Do they ship to any state ? I live in Michigan, based on my research it seems there is no problem . Thanks

It all depends. Some counties or municipalities may restrict it.

I've never had a problem with targetsportsusa.com

And live in a VERY restrictive city, but they always deliver.

hwalker84

Was his doctrine more based around having a double stacked 9mm with a double digit number of rounds, or was it more universally applicable? Because I wonder about things such as round count being a factor in how you respond to a situation.

No more universally applicable. Definitely should have a spare magazine. One thing for sure is he isn't a 1911 fan.

Goofalo

No more universally applicable. Definitely should have a spare magazine. One thing for sure is he isn't a 1911 fan.

Based on capacity, or it being an outdated platform? And publicly not liking a 1911, gets you hate by pretty much almost every gun owner over the age of 50 it seems.

hwalker84

Based on capacity, or it being an outdated platform? And publicly not liking a 1911, gets you hate by pretty much almost every gun owner over the age of 50 it seems.

Outdated platform and reliability issues. He was getting on this lady pretty hard for rocking her full sized 1911. She was like I never had an issue and was a retired cop... That thing choked hard during the class.

Goofalo

Outdated platform and reliability issues. He was getting on this lady pretty hard for rocking her full sized 1911. She was like I never had an issue and was a retired cop... That thing choked hard during the class.

Just jamming because of the stress the exercises it was being put through? I'm assuming it was grit and dirt jamming it up? I only have one handgun, outside of a Ruger Mark II, and its a Glock 19 because, unsexy as it is, it works and works and works.

hwalker84

Just jamming because of the stress the exercises it was being put through? I'm assuming it was grit and dirt jamming it up? I only have one handgun, outside of a Ruger Mark II, and its a Glock 19 because, unsexy as it is, it works and works and works.

1911's have always been the most troublesome guns in training classes that I've witnessed. I don't have time to diagnose each one but they just don't seem to like the high intensity classes. Though I don't think I've ever seen anything really high end though.

I got a Palmetto lower a couple years ago. I like it a lot and it's very nice for the ~$175 or so I paid for it. It was a "blemished" lower but I couldn't find a scratch on it. Maybe someday I'll upgrade the trigger, but it doesn't really need it.

Rest

I use Freedom Munitions (NEW) ammo

Got a great sale going on for Memorial day weekend. 1000 115GR 9mm for $180 shipped.
Jesus.

Who do they ship through and how often do they have deals like this?

Lunar FC

Come from a family that's pretty into guns but looking get the first for myself. I've been pretty interested in a Beretta 92fs, how would this be for a starter?

Goofalo

Whelp. No AR lower for me.

Won't ship to me in Illinois, even though the firearm will be stored outside my municipality.

Back to the drawing board.

despire

Got my first AR a few weeks back. A German made Hera Arms "15th". Looks pretty awesome imo. Added the compensator a few days back and it really reduced the recoil to zero. Got some upgrading to do still. Next is probably a better trigger. After that the Magpul BAD Lever, an ambi charging handle, QD sling mount and a sling. Also a scope when I can afford one. Should be all set after that :)

A few pics from the weekend:

Also I tried shooting a diy steel target I have used for plinking with a .22LR and the .223 really did a number on it :D Though I should say that I would've been more surprised if this hadn't happened. Luckily I have a proper steel target coming in via mail soon..

hwalker84

Really itching for a new gun....Really really liked the HK VP9sk but I have so many carry guns.

FN 509.... Really liked that too but I don't know what I need it for.

CZ P-10c... Another really nice gun

Then I say. Shit the amount of 9mm's I got now far outweigh my .45's. There don't seem to be many new 45's on the market. Thinking I may do a Jericho 941 in 45.

of maybe I should just save my damn money.... LOL

Really itching for a new gun....Really really liked the HK VP9sk but I have so many carry guns.

Then I say. Shit the amount of 9mm's I got now far outweigh my .45's. There don't seem to be many new 45's on the market. Thinking I may do a Jericho 941 in 45.

200.gif

Rest

man, I am just reading some of the replies of this thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1351828&highlight=xdm&page=8

damn it, some people really like to "coexist" with home invaders
Yup. GAF has become something of a liberal echo chamber, and unfortunately the party line for liberals has become ignorance about and opposition to guns. Reaching out and changing minds is difficult when people don't want to listen.

And as this post can attest: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232004434&postcount=412 it's gotten to the point that people that believe the leftwing rhetoric on guns don't even believe facts when someone brings them up. The poster they responded to shared an anecdote about 1/3 of the liberals they know owning guns, but that number is also backed up by large sample surveys. But that person just thinks "guns are for conservatives, liberals don't own guns." They have no concept of why people own guns or why the constitution states we have the right to.

Yup. GAF has become something of a liberal echo chamber, and unfortunately the party line for liberals has become ignorance about and opposition to guns. Reaching out and changing minds is difficult when people don't want to listen.

And as this post can attest: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232004434&postcount=412 it's gotten to the point that people that believe the leftwing rhetoric on guns don't even believe facts when someone brings them up. The poster they responded to shared an anecdote about 1/3 of the liberals they know owning guns, but that number is also backed up by large sample surveys. But that person just thinks "guns are for conservatives, liberals don't own guns." They have no concept of why people own guns or why the constitution states we have the right to.

yeah, it is shocking, really.

as an immigrant myself, I can understand the 2A and its importance, which is not for home protection or hunting, but to protect against the tyranny of the government. you never know what can happen in the future, and the first step for a government to take over is to take the guns away from people (see all history books in that matter).

Eyeron

Same boat. I have several handguns that are suitable for EDC and my 9mms outnumber my .45s severely. Thinking about customizing a Glock 40 with supressor nightsights, a nice RMR and an adjustable Zev fulcrum trigger. For the cost involved I could get a Kriss Vector Gen 2 in 10mm, though.

glock-40-10mm-mos.jpg

hwalker84

Same boat. I have several handguns that are suitable for EDC and my 9mms outnumber my .45s severely. Thinking about customizing a Glock 40 with supressor nightsights, a nice RMR and an adjustable Zev fulcrum trigger. For the cost involved I could get a Kriss Vector Gen 2 in 10mm, though.

glock-40-10mm-mos.jpg

Go with the Kriss. It's honestly a sweet ass gun.

Fwiw I shot the P10c the other day and wasn't blown away. The trigger is nice but aside from that it feels like a more refined Glock. I'll prolly get one if there is a large aftermarket for it.

blackflag

glock-40-10mm-mos.jpg

Awesome, I just got a Glock 20 and love it. Really enjoying those full power 10mm loads.

blackflag

I'm super duper liberal, except I enjoy guns so to many that makes me evil. It's like literally the only conservative position I hold.

LiamA

I've never figured out why it is so hard for some people to get past the "don't murder someone for your replaceable objects" nonargument.

It's one thing for a guy to break in and burglarize your place while you're at work. It's another thing if they are breaking in when they know someone is home. Home invasions are scary. You are right to be scared for your life.

Bandit1

Here's my AAR for Fighting Pistol with James Yeager https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ByaWryRWA

Sounds like a great course, I'd love to do something like that one of these days.

yeah, it is shocking, really.

as an immigrant myself, I can understand the 2A and its importance, which is not for home protection or hunting, but to protect against the tyranny of the government. you never know what can happen in the future, and the first step for a government to take over is to take the guns away from people (see all history books in that matter).

Absolutely right. And many times it seems like immigrants understand things like this better than many of the people who grew up in America.

Piggus

Come from a family that's pretty into guns but looking get the first for myself. I've been pretty interested in a Beretta 92fs, how would this be for a starter?

If you're just target shooting, the 92FS is pretty awesome. I have a 92D Centurion (double-action only model with a shorter frame) and an Italian police trade-in 92S (basically an FS with a heel mag release). If you want to save A LOT of money but still have a 92, get a surplus 92S. You can use the leftover money that you would have spent on a new FS and get something a little more modern as well. As cool as the 92 is, it's a little dated.

I'm super duper liberal, except I enjoy guns so to many that makes me evil. It's like literally the only conservative position I hold.

Same. :p

blackflag

I keep asking myself the question...Daniel Defense Mark 12 or Diamond engagement ring.

Almost bought the rifle last weekend but decided to think more about it. My girlfriend is probably not going to like the final answer LOL.

I've never figured out why it is so hard for some people to get past the "don't murder someone for your replaceable objects" nonargument.

It's one thing for a guy to break in and burglarize your place while you're at work. It's another thing if they are breaking in when they know someone is home. Home invasions are scary. You are right to be scared for your life.

yeah I go on r/ccw just to facepalm sometimes. Some crazy people in there.

Rest

That's the thing, gun ownership isn't conservative. It's a liberal idea that the populace has the right to take the government out of power at any time. The problem is, governments don't like to be taken out of power, so people need a way to force the government out if necessary. Guns are the modern weapon of the individual soldier, so the populace must be able to keep guns.

If you're just target shooting, the 92FS is pretty awesome. I have a 92D Centurion (double-action only model with a shorter frame) and an Italian police trade-in 92S (basically an FS with a heel mag release). If you want to save A LOT of money but still have a 92, get a surplus 92S. You can use the leftover money that you would have spent on a new FS and get something a little more modern as well. As cool as the 92 is, it's a little dated.
I see people mention surplus guns and ammunition a lot, but I don't know that I've ever seen it. Where does one get surplus?

blackflag

That's the thing, gun ownership isn't conservative. It's a liberal idea that the populace has the right to take the government out of power at any time. The problem is, governments don't like to be taken out of power, so people need a way to force the government out if necessary. Guns are the modern weapon of the individual soldier, so the populace must be able to keep guns.

Yep that's the way I've always seen it as well.

Hey guys,

So I just wanted to give some of my impressions on why I chose the XDM 9mm full size is my first handgun (primarily for home defense and range).

I was not sure which one to get, and I narrowed down to 2 options: XDM and glock17/19.

I held both, and shot both. I did my own research, talked to different people, watched videos on youtube, and decided to go with XDM.

Reasons why I chose XDM:
- It just felt better on my hand, I liked the grip better
- The gun feels more "premium" than glock. if you hold both guns, you think that the XDM is more "well built" than the glock
- It was a bit cheaper, and now Springfield has a killer sale going on: if you buy any Springfield handgun, you get 4 extra magazines, magazine pouch and a holster:
GearUp2017-.jpg

- XDM comes with metal sights and fiberoptic frontsight, glock comes with plastic sights
- XDM is easier to take down
- high capacity magazine 19 + 1
- magazine is stainless steel, as opposed to plastic that comes with the glock
- I liked the extra "safety" features of the XDM: grip safety, cocking indicator, chamber indicator (basically you can tell if you have a chambered bullet by just passing the finger over the slide, since once the bullet is chambered, it sticks out a bit, very helpful in the dark)

SA-XD6-a2.jpg

SA-XD8-a2.jpg

this video explains better the differences between XDM and glock

Both pistols are very reliable, and you can't go wrong with either one, but I chose XDM because of the extra features and the freebies I will get from Springfield, which you can't really ignore (4 extra magazines, magazine pouch and holster)

Here is the handgun.
a74xGrG.jpg

Now I just need to practice more with dummy rounds, and go to range to practice with live rounds. once I get a better feel of the pistol, I will take a basic shooting course. planning to get my CCW down the road.

Thank you for all the advice guys.

Goofalo

I see people mention surplus guns and ammunition a lot, but I don't know that I've ever seen it. Where does one get surplus?

Not sure about ammo. But as far as surplus guns, I know sometimes a LGS will buy a lot of police trade ins, like old West German Sig P226's. They'll, actually not need much, barrel, spring, refresh on the night sights. But they will sell them at a killer rate as opposed to a even newer used Sig P226.

Top Bottom