• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Yoritomo

How's the ammo hunt going lately? The only thing I can find easily is the steel cased russian ammo.

I'm not a huge fan, but it's better than not shooting.

Javaman

Drastic said:
IMO, a sawed-off 12 gauge is excellent for home protection. Your aim doesn't have to be perfect and if it doesn't knock them down, the bang is louder than a handgun and will more likely incite fear and flight.

If it's 4am, dark and I'm maybe a bit disoriented, I'd rather have a 12 gauge for these reasons.

Second choice and available as backup is a revolver. They fire the round, every time you pull the trigger. No worries about smokestacking or weak magazine springs.

You don't get much spread at all in the close ranges of a house. You'd be lucky to get over a 6" spread and it's slower to aim then a pistol.

The noise is going to affect you more then the criminal. I'll take a pistol for home defense any day (Especially if I have to search the house) unless I'm hunkered down in a room covering the door.

Yoritomo

Ammo has been popping up in Wal-Mart again. Found some .45 and 9mm last week.

Also just got a new holster in. Crossbreed Supertuck for my XD45.

Anyone else pick up anything new lately?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Pondering trying to get a Type 56 Chicom, but its kinda not worth the hassle.

So anything new with anyone at all? From all the time I've been spending at school and work, I still haven't purchased a BUIS for my ar-15 yet. =[ But hopefully within the week or so.

Thanks for bumping this thread, I have been meaning to do it but I keep forgetting! Here are my two guns.

Springfield M1 Garand with sling and M5 bayonet. I just managed to find a whole bunch of greek surplus ammo, I can't wait to shoot some of it.
Img_3335.jpg

Smith and Wesson 686 Plus. 7 shot .357 revolver. I love this gun. It's so accurate, even with the 4inch barrel. After shooting so many other handguns, I really think this is the best all purpose handgun for the price.
Img_3334.jpg

I am thinking about future purchases. I want to get a Remington 870 and modify it to be a home defense shotgun. I have also been looking at 1911s recently, specifically the Springfield A1.

eznark

Banned
Glad this got bumped. I'm heading up to my folks this weekend and my grandpa apparently stumbled on his old Winchester 1892 repeater. Supposed to be giving it to me Saturday. I hope he'll part with it when the time comes!

I'll definitely get some pics up if it gets passed to me. Thing is gorgeous.

I was JUST thinking of this thread today and I was hoping it would come back. Thanks for bumping it.

Anyway, I got myself a Springfield Armory M1a loaded for about 800 bucks off retail(2000+ I think?) with only 30 shots fired through it. Amazing deal and its in perfect condition. Beautiful rifle.

fxf13o.jpg

My "arsenal" so far.
2yycg9h.jpg

34diecm.jpg

I'm also 5 months into my pistol license waiting period. Hopefully I'll receive it march sometime. The wait is excruciating.

MisterNoisy

Oh hey - a gun thread. :) Nice to see that there are others here that enjoy the hobby - I try to go the range at least every other week - it's a great way to unwind and it gives me and my father time to bond over a common interest/hobby.

My 9mms - Taurus PT92 and CZ-75B. The CZ is my favorite, but both are excellent shooters:

2ebx3bd.jpg

My .22LR plinker - 6.5" Beretta U22 Neos. I picked this up for a song at one of the local shops and it's insanely accurate:

w0njiw.jpg

Looking to get a 1911-pattern gun soon. :D

MisterNoisy said:
Oh hey - a gun thread. :) Nice to see that there are others here that enjoy the hobby - I try to go the range at least every other week - it's a great way to unwind and it gives me and my father time to bond over a common interest/hobby.

My 9mms - Taurus PT92 and CZ-75B. The CZ is my favorite, but both are excellent shooters:

How is the Taurus PT92? A lot of people seem to say the quality of Taurus is crap, but then they go on to say they've never actually owned one but "know somebody" that had one so their opinions go out the window for me. I'm looking into getting a Taurus PT1911 as my first. I dont want to spend a ton on my first pistol and plus the Taurus 1911s come in 9mm as well.

MisterNoisy

Lionheart1827 said:
How is the Taurus PT92? A lot of people seem to say the quality of Taurus is crap, but then they go on to say they've never actually owned one but "know somebody" that had one so their opinions go out the window for me. I'm looking into getting a Taurus PT1911 as my first. I dont want to spend a ton on my first pistol and plus the Taurus 1911s come in 9mm as well.

I can't speak to the PT1911 directly, but they just released a 9mm version, so I might be getting one shortly ;). I have run a couple of mags through one (in the traditional .45 ACP) thanks to the guy in the lane next to me at the range a few months ago, and it shot well. I hear that the ambi-safety can be a problem - it's comprised of 2 parts with an interference fit inside the frame and they can come apart/fall out (bye bye plunger!) if you don't check it periodically, but most of the testimonials I've seen/read/heard are generally positive.

As for the PT92, it's pretty much bulletproof - I've owned mine since May of last year and since that time I've put about 3000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. The trigger isn't the best, but it's not bad at all and better than my dad's Glock 23 by a country mile. Outside of that, the 92 is an outstanding firearm that shoots very well for me. When I bought my Taurus, there was a Beretta 92 right next to it in the case, but I chose the PT92 because of the frame-mounted safety.

can this be an official home defense thread as well? being serious here.

my girl lives in the Bronx (Ooooh!!) and her building has been broken into 3-4 times the last few months, now a gun at this point would not be practical for her (she lives with her mother and sister and small nephew)

but are things like tasers available to civilians? this is NYC mind you and the politicians are a bit....I don't even have the right word for it. so what is best for a young girl to protect life and property before we move in togheter? she is not averse to owning a gunbut it's not like ther eare any gun-ranges around here (none that I know anyway)

evil solrac v3.0 said:

my girl lives in the Bronx (Ooooh!!) and her building has been broken into 3-4 times the last few months, now a gun at this point would not be practical for her (she lives with her mother and sister and small nephew)

but are things like tasers available to civilians? this is NYC mind you and the politicians are a bit....I don't even have the right word for it. so what is best for a young girl to protect life and property before we move in togheter? she is not averse to owning a gunbut it's not like ther eare any gun-ranges around here (none that I know anyway)

I hear ya man, I'm on Long Island but I feel fucking bad for you. The laws are so BS in the city. You can go for a license, but it takes awhile.

MisterNoisy said:
I can't speak to the PT1911 directly, but they just released a 9mm version, so I might be getting one shortly ;). I have run a couple of mags through one (in the traditional .45 ACP) thanks to the guy in the lane next to me at the range a few months ago, and it shot well. I hear that the ambi-safety can be a problem - it's comprised of 2 parts with an interference fit inside the frame and they can come apart/fall out (bye bye plunger!) if you don't check it periodically, but most of the testimonials I've seen/read/heard are generally positive.

As for the PT92, it's pretty much bulletproof - I've owned mine since May of last year and since that time I've put about 3000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. The trigger isn't the best, but it's not bad at all and better than my dad's Glock 23 by a country mile. Outside of that, the 92 is an outstanding firearm that shoots very well for me. When I bought my Taurus, there was a Beretta 92 right next to it in the case, but I chose the PT92 because of the frame-mounted safety.

Thanks for the help. I'm also looking at the 92 because I've always loved the beretta 92s and I like the look of the PT92. :D

Crovax33

I just bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm.

mp9.jpg

Love shooting, and I wanted something polycarbonate with a better grip than a glock. Something about this one just felt right.

MisterNoisy

Lionheart1827 said:
I'm looking into getting a Taurus PT1911 as my first. I dont want to spend a ton on my first pistol and plus the Taurus 1911s come in 9mm as well.

As an aside, I'd say that you should really check out the CZ-75B if you're looking for a large-frame 9mm. It's dead reliable and has outstanding fit/ergonomics, construction and accuracy. I can't recommend this pistol enough unless you want to carry (it is kinda big)

Crovax33 said:
I just bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm.
Love shooting, and I wanted something polycarbonate with a better grip than a glock. Something about this one just felt right.

Hawt! How you like it so far? The hinged trigger weirds me out.

MisterNoisy said:
As an aside, I'd say that you should really check out the CZ-75B if you're looking for a large-frame 9mm. It's dead reliable and has outstanding fit/ergonomics, construction and accuracy. I can't recommend this pistol enough unless you want to carry (it is kinda big)

Unfortunately in Long Island its nearly impossible to get an open carry permit. Im only allowed to carry to and from the range.

The gun laws in NY are shit. California is the only place(with the exception of maybe chicago) that has worse laws than NY.

MisterNoisy

Lionheart1827 said:
Unfortunately in Long Island its nearly impossible to get an open carry permit. Im only allowed to carry to and from the range.

The gun laws in NY are shit. California is the only place(with the exception of maybe chicago) that has worse laws than NY.

I could deal with a 10-round restriction, but that other stuff is kinda onerous.

Are you looking for a carry gun or just to enjoy yourself at the range? If it's the former, I'd say you should be looking at any number of 9mm supercompacts like the Kel-Tec PF9 or the Taurus 709. If it's the latter, just buy what you want to shoot (And I reiterate my CZ-75 recommendation)

I'm in FL, so I benefit from the more liberal gun statutes in the South. That said, I don't carry and my guns only go with me when I'm headed to the range. I've got a mag stuffed full of JHP in the safe but I never want to use it.

Lionheart1827 said:
I hear ya man, I'm on Long Island but I feel fucking bad for you. The laws are so BS in the city. You can go for a license, but it takes awhile.

I was about to ask where you lived, when you said 5 months for a pistol license. You gotta love Michigan, I had to take a safety quiz, a background check, and register the gun at the police station. Total time for paperwork and purchase was about 2 hours. :lol

evil solrac v3.0 said:

I don't know man, your laws are different from mine, but HERE is a pretty good site for home defense stuff. Honestly, if the robbers are armed, suggest she keeps a daily allowance of money on visa check cards. Worst that can happen is losing a days worth of money and some random shit from your apartment. If she is trying to pull stun guns and shit on people breaking into her home, she will get shot.

evil solrac v3.0 said:

I would get her pepper spray. I've had to get it in my face and let me tell you, that stuff incapacitated me. And I don't see why she can't have it law-wise.

Sealda

Banned
In my country guns are illegal, too bad.

I know absolutely nothing about guns. One question:

How outrageous would it be to have a 10.6 Desert Eagle for self-defense?
44_mark_vii.jpg

I mean, would there be any benefits if you were really good at shooting with it beside it looking damn cool? Or is it just stupid all the way?

Sealda said:
How outrageous would it be to have a 10.6 Desert Eagle for self-defense?
I mean, would there be any benefits if you were really good at shooting with it beside it looking damn cool? Or is it just stupid all the way?

Desert Eagle comes in popular self defense calibers, but the 10.6 barrel is way too big for practical carry. Honestly, if a person was going to buy Desert Eagle, they should just spring for the big ass .50ae with whatever size barrel that is (10.75, i think?). Anything less is just lame! :lol

Luckily, at the range I go to, they have a .50ae Deagle for rent, so I don't have to shell out the money to buy one.

mAcOdIn

evil solrac v3.0 said:

To be honest I would probably recommend nothing. Both tazers and pepper spray are temporary things, they give you a window to act and that's it, if you don't act sufficiently either you get lucky and the assailant leaves or you've done fucked yourself harder and the guy's pissed off even more.

I'm essentially of the belief that there's 2 types of people, people that can take the responsibility of their own self defense and should be allowed to and people that can't handle that responsibility and should probably just do what the attacker wants. Because when you use anything, taser, pepper spray, gun, knife, plain old fist fighting you are escalating the conflict, if you're not ready for what happens after you've escalated it you've just put yourself in a bigger risk of harm than before.

I dunno, if her building had a lot of people in it who would come out and see what's happening or she could take the family into someone elses apartment and call the cops after hitting someone with a taser or pepper spray then it might be worth it, but if they're the standard city dwellers who'll lock their doors when ever they hear loud noises it really might be best to just not piss off the attacker.

golem

Sealda said:
Well longer barrel usually means more accurate, but that thing would be way too big for Concealed Carry (unless you were Andre the Giant) and a shotty is probably better for home defense.

also yeah for Desert Eagles go 50 or go home ;)

MisterNoisy said:
I could deal with a 10-round restriction, but that other stuff is kinda onerous.

Are you looking for a carry gun or just to enjoy yourself at the range? If it's the former, I'd say you should be looking at any number of 9mm supercompacts like the Kel-Tec PF9 or the Taurus 709. If it's the latter, just buy what you want to shoot (And I reiterate my CZ-75 recommendation)

I'm in FL, so I benefit from the more liberal gun statutes in the South. That said, I don't carry and my guns only go with me when I'm headed to the range. I've got a mag stuffed full of JHP in the safe but I never want to use it.

The 10 round restriction doesnt bother me. Actually if its a preban(made before 94) it doesnt have the ammo restriction. I have three 20round mags for my M1A, but I never use them. Reason being is its like shooting 20 bucks worth of ammo in one mag. It makes me feel bad haha.

The thing that bothers me is stand up citizens are treated like criminals and the criminals have more rights than we do. But this thread isn't about gun control, thats why I love this thread. Its about gunowners discussing guns, not stupid arguing like those other gun threads. I'm glad this thread came back up. :D

Anyway, I could care less how "carry-able" a gun is. I actually prefer the larger frame pistols than the compacts. I cant carry it unless im going to or from the range so it kind of defeats the purpose of having a carry weapon. :lol

But yeah I really want to get a 1911. There is something so sexy about those guns. The other two I'm looking at is the Beretta92/PT92, and a Glock 19. My brother is in the NYPD and he has two different glock 19s and he likes them. I know a lot of other people that swear by Glocks quality.

MisterNoisy

Lionheart1827 said:
But yeah I really want to get a 1911. There is something so sexy about those guns. The other two I'm looking at is the Beretta92/PT92, and a Glock 19. My brother is in the NYPD and he has two different glock 19s and he likes them. I know a lot of other people that swear by Glocks quality.

I'm feeling that 1911 love. Like I said - I'd recommend the PT92 without reservation (and if you have an Academy nearby, check them out since they're blowing out PT101 (.40 S&W 92-pattern gun) pistols at $300 currently. The G19 is a super-reliable piece that you won't regret buying, but I can't bring myself to own a poly gun.

I'm glad so many people actually wanted this thread bumped, I thought there weren't gonna be any replies in here :lol

Jealous of all the M1's!

Lionheart1827 said:
The thing that bothers me is stand up citizens are treated like criminals and the criminals have more rights than we do. But this thread isn't about gun control, thats why I love this thread. Its about gunowners discussing guns, not stupid arguing like those other gun threads. I'm glad this thread came back up. :D

Anyway, I could care less how "carry-able" a gun is. I actually prefer the larger frame pistols than the compacts. I cant carry it unless im going to or from the range so it kind of defeats the purpose of having a carry weapon. :lol

Yes...this seriously urks me the most. But that is a whole other debate I'd rather not get into.

I'm in love with my 1911, it's a full frame .45 and it shoots like a charm. If anyone thinks the recoil might be a lot for a .45, it won't be on a full frame. It feels almost like I'm shooting a Beretta 92F or something, very minimal and controllable. Plus, it's just such an awesome.

djcatskratch said:
Here's a youtube link of me shooting a fully automatic M-16 (and it was the first video taken on my Droid!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a7kQy1ObMc

That's awesome! Is that a gun range? I didn't know there were any that open at night time.

Let's keep this thread alive this time! :D

RapidCancel said:
I'm glad so many people actually wanted this thread bumped, I thought there weren't gonna be any replies in here :lol

Jealous of all the M1's!

Yes...this seriously urks me the most. But that is a whole other debate I'd rather not get into.

I'm in love with my 1911, it's a full frame .45 and it shoots like a charm. If anyone thinks the recoil might be a lot for a .45, it won't be on a full frame. It feels almost like I'm shooting a Beretta 92F or something, very minimal and controllable. Plus, it's just such an awesome.

Let's keep this thread alive this time! :D

I'll try to update with my current situation with my license and if I end up going to the range.

I just ordered 400 rounds of .308 so I'll be able to feed my M1a for awhile. I also have 500 rounds of .22 and a 2 boxes of .270(which never goes fast since its a bolt action).

As for my pistol license, they say it takes 4-6 months of wait from the time you send in the application to you getting the license in the mail. I sent my application first week of october, had my interview first week of november, and I'm still waiting. So I'm hoping next month will be the month that I get it. *crosses fingers*

The thing that sucks is in NY no gun dealer is legally allowed to let me even touch a pistol unless I have a license, and because of this, its impossible to really shop and get a good feel for one while you're waiting. It makes it even more excruciating. Not to mention the pistol bureau isn't open on weekends anymore, and they are only open 9-4:30, which is my normal work hours, so literally in order to get my first pistol registered, i'll have to take off work. :mad:

golem

Here's some pics from our last outing at Burro Canyon private range

4283700096_dd3da6dcd0.jpg

4282961465_b7ca3388a4.jpg

4283709442_904f96d1ca.jpg

4282971685_f516095880.jpg

and one from SHOT show

4292712628_8bc17f146e.jpg

Planning to get a HK USC very soon :D

golem -- Looks fun! I wish the USC wasn't so expensive though =[ I wish I could buy an MP7 >.>

Lionheart1827 -- Man I don't think I can imagine what it's like to wait 4-6 months just for a license to buy a handgun. I had to wait about 4-6 months for my CHL license and that already felt like forever. No interviews or anything either. Kinda crazy how much the law differs from state to state. One of my favorite thing to do is just hit up a gun show and check out all the guns that are around by holding it and just checking each one out.

Good luck on getting that license though! Better late than never!

MisterNoisy

djcatskratch said:
Here's my Sig P226:

Nice! Does it shoot as nice as it looks?

Lionheart1827 said:
The thing that sucks is in NY no gun dealer is legally allowed to let me even touch a pistol unless I have a license, and because of this, its impossible to really shop and get a good feel for one while you're waiting. It makes it even more excruciating. Not to mention the pistol bureau isn't open on weekends anymore, and they are only open 9-4:30, which is my normal work hours, so literally in order to get my first pistol registered, i'll have to take off work. :mad:

Good Christ, that's horrible.

So living in Florida it's hot as balls. Got my concealed permit but really it's not easy to conceal anything wearing normal Florida clothing. The idea of the holsters for concealment that go inside the pants just seems like a big no to me on the comfort level. Whenever I do carry it will be in a bookbag now or in glove compartment, but really not crazy about carrying bag with me everywhere. Right now I own an M9 which isn't all that easy to conceal either so I'm probably going to see about picking up something smaller to carry around on my body. Any suggestions that would be small and easy to wear in light Florida clothing?

golem

BattleMonkey said:
So living in Florida it's hot as balls. Got my concealed permit but really it's not easy to conceal anything wearing normal Florida clothing. The idea of the holsters for concealment that go inside the pants just seems like a big no to me on the comfort level. Whenever I do carry it will be in a bookbag now or in glove compartment, but really not crazy about carrying bag with me everywhere. Right now I own an M9 which isn't all that easy to conceal either so I'm probably going to see about picking up something smaller to carry around on my body. Any suggestions that would be small and easy to wear in light Florida clothing?
5.11 makes all sorts of clothes with built in conceal areas
http://www.511tactical.com/browse/H...ealed-Carry/D/30000/P/1:100:50000:50200:50207

MisterNoisy

BattleMonkey said:

Heh - the M9/Beretta 92 is probably the worst choice ever for carry outside of a Deagle - it's not terribly heavy, but it's definitely bulky.

The aforementioned Kel-Tec PF-9 or Taurus 709 would be good choices for pocket carry, as would the Ruger LCR. There's a ton of small .380s but since I haven't seen .380 ammo in person in almost a year, I'd be hesitant to recommend something chambered for it. I'd wager that almost anything becomes carry worthy if you're willing to change what you wear to accommodate it and buy an appropriate holster. I've seen full-size 1911s that you'd never know were there, largely because the owner had the right gear/clothes and the single-stack layout helped minimize the actual bulk of the gun.

RapidCancel said:
Lionheart1827 -- Man I don't think I can imagine what it's like to wait 4-6 months just for a license to buy a handgun. I had to wait about 4-6 months for my CHL license and that already felt like forever. No interviews or anything either. Kinda crazy how much the law differs from state to state. One of my favorite thing to do is just hit up a gun show and check out all the guns that are around by holding it and just checking each one out.

Good luck on getting that license though! Better late than never!

MisterNoisy said:
Good Christ, that's horrible.

Yeah thats good ole anti-gun NY for ya! I love the state I live in but, I'm sick and tired of some of the shit laws here. The stupid thing is I can go upstate NY, get a full concealed carry license(not just to and from the range) and guess what? It would be valid on long island. The problem is, I believe I have to be a resident upstate in order to get it. So pretty much upstate NY visitors to my hometown have more rights than I do. Its ridiculous.

Willectro

Banned
Just got this in December.

Remington 597 VTR .22

gun1.jpg

gun2.jpg

In Canada, the VTR is sold with a solid, A2 style stock for whatever reason. I replaced that with a Tapco AR15 T6 Collapsible Buttstock and a Tapco T6 Rubber Buttpad. The scope is a NcStar Rubber Armored Mark III Tactical Scope. Nothing special really, but it was a good deal and really for a .22, any scope will do. I've fired this at at an outdoor range a few weeks ago and had no problem getting on paper at 150 yards. The mag is the Remington 597 30 rounder, which jams with anymore than 20 rounds in it. The spring seems to be far too weak, and really, this mag should not have been plastic.

Only other upgrade I'm looking for is a Quad-Rail barrel mount so I easily swap out a fore grip and Bipod. Might swap on a Magpul grip if they fit, haven't tried yet.

Overall though, this is a great gun for plinking. Most AR accessories fit on this gun and it looks like a lot of custom parts are on the way as this gun is selling well. People on a gun forum I read have complained about the VTR stove-piping or jamming from internal parts of the gun being over-tightened. This has not been a issue for me when using just the 10 round mag, and loosening the parts to fix this is very easy. With the price of .223 and other ammo in general, you can't go wrong with this gun.

BattleMonkey said:

DSC06148.jpg

The Ruger LCP and LCR are both really nice for carry. I haven't shot the LCP, but I can say the LCR is reasonably accurate for what it is. The sights sucked, but the distance a carry pistol will see the most use is close, and you can get it with a laser grip. They are both very small and lightweight. I think the LCR is actually the first polymer-frame revolver. If I were to get a light carry pistol, it would probably be the LCR, unless money is an issue, in which case you can get a two shot derringer in a large caliber for a lot less money.

will52 said:
The mag is the Remington 597 30 rounder, which jams with anymore than 20 rounds in it. The spring seems to be far too weak, and really, this mag should not have been plastic.

The spring is too weak? People have always told me the opposite about this magazine, that the spring is too strong and it's hard to even load more than 25 rounds.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Cooter said:
You need to grow a pair then.
i think he's more freaked out by the the growing (or always persistent?) gun fetishism in society than by the thread per say.

me too actually, but carry on.

Willectro

Banned
Captain Howdy said:
The spring is too weak? People have always told me the opposite about this magazine, that the spring is too strong and it's hard to even load more than 25 rounds.

I don't really know what to think about it. Because I can get 30 loaded in, but after 20 are in the rounds don't seem to want to pop out. Either way it's a bad mag and a waste of money.

Just put my C&R license to use for the first time a few days ago to order a mosin-nagant (CoD:WaW inspired.) Can't wait to get my hands on it and head to a range.

Top Bottom