• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any reason why the WiiU *won't* dominate Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Take that they have Monster Hunter, Pokemon, and Dragon Quest

I think people are putting way too much into this - especially when it comes to MH.

It's a great bonus game, but it's still a console version of a game already available on the 3DS. As per MH3rdP HD - i expect it to better due to the push and focus - but saying "and it has Monster Hunter" somewhat misses that it's simply a HD port of a game whose popularity is now clearly with handhelds.

Pokemon ? Handhelds.

DQ - well, it should at least be noted that this is the HD port up of a game that's already out on the Wii. Again, more of a nice bonus than any huge new DQ game. Not that the Wii U won't get DQ in the future, it may well do, but i'd pretty much bet that the next DQ -real- entry will be on 3DS.

Also - i've mentioned it elsewhere - but this is the first time in as long as i can remember where a new machine hasn't seen it's preorders sell out in Japan. If you want any of the machines, they are available - including the Monster Hunter bundle that has once again reappeared. Either there's unprecedented huge numbers for the Japanese launch or, nearly one month after preorders started, people aren't convinced or haven't seen enough of the machine to buy into it yet. I guess we will see - long term i can't see the Wii U -not- being a success in Japan, but i suspect it might have a rough first year.

Personally - i think Japanese gamers have gone full on portable gaming.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think people are putting way too much into this - especially when it comes to MH.

It's a great bonus game, but it's still a console version of a game already available on the 3DS. As per MH3rdP HD - i expect it to better due to the push and focus - but saying "and it has Monster Hunter" somewhat misses that it's simply a HD port of a game whose popularity is now clearly with handhelds.

Agree and disagree.

Just saying "Monster Hunter", implying that the console versions sell close to the portable versions is misleading.

On the other hand, you have a huge, 3rd party core gamer IP that is likely to sell at least 400-500K as a launch title.

That's pretty unprecedented- did not happen for the Wii, for PS3, for 3DS..I think its a pretty big deal as far as building a userbase enthusiastic about that type of game.

ohlawd

I feel that if you are a gamer that mostly buys Japanese games the WiiU will be your main system next gen.

Yep, that's me alright. I just need Gust to at least put some Atelier games on Nintendo home consoles and I'm good. Same with Disgaea, Tales, etc...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Because Japan prefers handhelds to consoles. Plus with Xbox 720 and PS4 most likely being bigger in the west, and more powerful there's a strong chance U will be excluded from multiplatform games from Japanese third parties.

If Sony prices PS4 right, then U could be facing a difficult time.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Because Japan prefers handhelds to consoles. Plus with Xbox 720 and PS4 most likely being bigger in the west, and more powerful there's a strong chance U will be excluded from multiplatform games from Japanese third parties.

Issue is if PS4 prices it right. Chances are the Ps4 will be a lot more expensive than the wii u in Japan, (the wii u is already almost the price of the ps3), chance of the ps4 being in that ball park are low. Which will likely be a major differentiator between the two, seeing as western multiplat support isn't that important in Japan, it comes down to whether the Sony doesn't price itself out of the Japanese market like the Vita and how much Japanese third party support Nintendo can court.

I can't see this outside of rare titles like Kojima games who basicaly act like a second party to Sony. I just don't see Japanese developers driven by tech like Western devs are especially considering Japan's lack of a PC market.

Issue is if PS4 prices it right. Chances are the Ps4 will be a lot more expensive than the wii u in Japan, (the wii u is already almost the price of the ps3), chance of the ps4 being in that ball park are low. Which will likely be a major differentiator between the two, seeing as western multiplat support isn't that important in Japan, it comes down to whether the Sony doesn't price itself out of the Japanese market like the Vita and how much Japanese third party support Nintendo can court.

And the fact that by the time the PS4 launches the WiiU will have a price cut.

Lack of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Metal Gear don't confirm it. And then there's all the B tier RPG series that Nintendo missed out on this gen.

But FF isn't near the powerhouse it once was and KH hasn't seen a true console sequel in years.

Metal Gear I'll give you.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So far the biggest reason it won't dominate is the 3DS.
That's also the main reason it will dominate. Nintendo missed the connectivity boat with Wii and DS.

Not this time. Wii U will have plenty opportunities to get traction from 3DS Land: streetpass, miiverse, 3DS used as a Wii U controller, etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Right now, Wii is an outlier case. Nintendo's efforts in the preceding two generations failed to dominate Japan, and it seems to me in terms of software offerings WiiU is pitching itself far closer to GameCube/N64 than Wii, so precisely why WiiU is such a certainty to the OP is kind of odd to me.

Yes its going to do well in the short term - abject failure isn't likely, but I don't see it having anything even close to Wii-Sports/Wii-Fit novelty/crossover appeal to slingshot itself into the stratosphere.

The one thing you can count in in Nintendo's evergreen franchises will sell, but beyond that... its still going to be offering largely the same roster of titles that PS3/Xbox do. And given Nintendo's truly lousy track-record of keeping third-party publishers interest, its unclear exactly how long that's going to last.

schuelma

Right now, Wii is an outlier case. Nintendo's efforts in the preceding two generations failed to dominate Japan, and it seems to me in terms of software offerings WiiU is pitching itself far closer to GameCube/N64 than Wii, so precisely why WiiU is such a certainty to the OP is kind of odd to me.

So the system that launched 6 years ago, that is still selling software when big games hit, the system Wii U is named after...that is the outlier.

Not the 2 systems before that which came out over a decade ago.

ReBurn

Gold Member

599 UNITED STATES DOLLARS?

So the system that launched 6 years ago, that is still selling software when big games hit, the system Wii U is named after...that is the outlier.

Not the 2 systems before that which came out over a decade ago.

Yes. See, Wii is the outlier BECAUSE it was popular. Nintendo systems are bombs by default in Japan.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
schuelma said:

Yes. Same way that PS3 performance is an outlier compared it its predecessors. The name doesn't mean a damn thing.

Also, look at Wii's sales for the past two years, and the fact that Y2D its actually selling less than Vita is!

The Wii brand is not hot anymore, and with only a 12m install base in the region its hardly due to total saturation.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Nintendo systems are bombs by default in Japan.

Not bombs, just not dominant when faced with opposition from Sony and MS.

schuelma

Yes. Same way that PS3 performance is an outlier compared it its predecessors. The name doesn't mean a damn thing.

Also, look at Wii's sales for the past two years, and the fact that Y2D its actually selling less than Vita is!

The Wii brand is not hot anymore, and with only a 12m install base in the region its hardly due to total saturation.

The Wii has been dead in Japan ever since the Wii U was announced. Trying to comment on Wii's brand based on the last year is disingenuous.

I'll try and put it another way-

What is more relevant:

A- software from 17 years ago

B- software coming out during the launch window in Japan that are sequels to the two biggest selling console games of the last generation.

So what do you expect to happen next gen with PS4?

disco

The Wii branding is still worth an awful lot - it's what really connected with the mainstream. When Wii comes into popular consciousness again people will know what kind of social experience they will be getting.

schuelma

Off the top of your head, what would you guess the break down is on top 20 best selling console games of last generation between Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.

I can't see this outside of rare titles like Kojima games who basicaly act like a second party to Sony. I just don't see Japanese developers driven by tech like Western devs are especially considering Japan's lack of a PC market.
Even Kojima might come around when faced with market realities. He did with Xbox 360.

Off the top of your head, what would you guess the break down is on top 20 best selling console games of last generation between Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.
Presumably saturated with every known permutation of Call of Duty if you look at the global picture, at least.

I actually don't know about Japan. I want to say Monster Hunter and New Super Mario Bros. but I haven't paid much attention to their sale charts.

DR2K

Banned
Can you take the Wii U on the bus/train? Can you take it to work/school? Can it play all games on the tablet? Nope? It's just another Nintendo console.

It will go pretty much same way as this gen but with smaller numbers (I expect that home console market continues to shrink in Japan). From big third party titles Wii U will get MH and DQ and PS4 will get MGS, RE and FF because those titles wil sell more in west than in Japan and in west there is console called xbox (I assume that PS4 and X720 will be a lot ahead of WiiU when it comes to power). RE5 is best selling RE game, FFXIII did well and MGS4 did well. I really don't see why these would go to Wii U as that would be jump to unknown.

It will go pretty much same way as this gen but with smaller numbers (I expect that home console market continues to shrink in Japan). From big third party titles Wii U will get MH and DQ and PS4 will get MGS, RE and FF because those titles wil sell more in west than in Japan and in west there is console called xbox (I assume that PS4 and X720 will be a lot ahead of WiiU when it comes to power). RE5 is best selling RE game, FFXIII did well and MGS4 did well. I really don't see why these would go to Wii U as that would be jump to unknown.
Agreed 100%

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
software coming out during the launch window in Japan that are sequels to the two biggest selling console games of the last generation.

i've ben working all night through to morning, so i'm throwing a blank as to what the second title is.

NSMB U and... (Wii Fit?) ?

injurai

Banned
this is one of those things that gets mentioned all the time but hasn't really been true in my experience. last time i was in japan (2008) everyone had an hdtv.

also yes I'm at least hoping that wii u becomes the main Japanese console.

It was more true up through 2006. But yes times are finally changing.

Kazerei

Banned

Yeah, I don't think people realize how lopsided this is... Even globally, Nintendo's games are massive.

As for Japan, I pulled this list from garaph, but it's a bit outdated (through the week of 2012-07-23). Only change is that Resident Evil 6 has sold 794,352 units, so it should be #19 or #20.

Code:
1    Wii   2009-12-03   New Super Mario Bros. Wii                  Nintendo           4,391,312
2    Wii   2006-12-02   Wii Sports                                 Nintendo           3,682,754
3    Wii   2007-12-01   Wii Fit                                    Nintendo           3,561,787
4    Wii   2008-04-10   Mario Kart Wii                             Nintendo           3,521,387
5    Wii   2009-06-25   Wii Sports Resort                          Nintendo           2,934,504
6    Wii   2006-12-02   Wii Play                                   Nintendo           2,800,615
7    Wii   2009-10-01   Wii Fit Plus                               Nintendo           2,336,182
8    Wii   2010-07-08   Wii Party                                  Nintendo           2,302,907
9    Wii   2008-01-31   Super Smash Bros. Brawl                    Nintendo           2,094,464
10   PS3   2009-12-17   Final Fantasy XIII                         Square Enix        1,904,313
11   Wii   2007-07-26   Mario Party 8                              Nintendo           1,427,575
12   Wii   2008-11-20   Animal Crossing: City Folk                 Nintendo           1,221,459
13   Wii   2009-08-01   Monster Hunter 3                           Capcom             1,070,743
14   Wii   2007-11-01   Super Mario Galaxy                         Nintendo           1,017,287
15   Wii   2010-05-27   Super Mario Galaxy 2                       Nintendo           1,003,763
16   Wii   2010-12-09   Donkey Kong Country Returns                Nintendo             952,018
17   Wii   2010-10-21   Super Mario All-Stars                      Nintendo             916,410
18   PS3   2011-12-15   Final Fantasy XIII-2                       Square Enix          797,986
19   PS3   2012-03-01   One Piece: Pirate Warriors                 Namco Bandai Games   790,812
20   PS3   2008-06-12   Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots   Konami               706,461

orioto

Good Art™
The worse is that ..just look at the situation in Japan. They clearly reject any expensive high tech machine. Even the WiiU will be too expensive at launch.

PS3 never really became mainstream there, so why in hell would they buy a shiny 400$ PS4 when it's released...

I guess WiiU will have to resurrect console gaming in Japan by itself. And that will take a price cut and massive Japanese ips. FF next gen would have PS4/720 version for the wordlwide money, and a WiiU version for the japanese one. Now, if Nintendo want to help resurrect some old ips, some things could suit a WiiU well. Chrono, Kingdom Heart, Seiken.. Why not even a FF Tactics or a Vagrant Story!

Basically i think Nintendo has to translate the 3ds gamer lineup to the WiiU. That's clearly what they are trying to do at launch it seems. Will it be enough..

Honestly, the simple fact that we can see, concretely, the will and strength Nintendo now has to attract big ips, is enough to know this is not a question of who will come first, but more of how big will be the leading WiiU.

Yep exact same as this gen. Just like it did for 3DS/Vita.

Situation of Vita is completely different. I really don't see how you can compare it to what will happen with home consoles next gen. Whole ecosystem of PSP was built around one game in Japan (MH that sells only Japan too) and in west PSP had been dead for years and sold next to nothing when it came to software. Compare this to PS3 that has several big third party franchises in Japan and is the best selling console in west at the moment and will probably be very much alive even when PS4 launches. Not to mention that in handheld space there is no xbox. In home console space there is and as MS and Sony will probably again launch consoles that are a lot more powerful than Wii publishers have to make decision that will they go with Wii U or PS4/720. I really don't see reason why series like MGS, FF or RE that sell more in the west would go to Wii U as they sold great numbers this gen on PS3/360 despite PS3 being outsold by Wii in Japan. It's not rocket science.

schuelma

i've ben working all night through to morning, so i'm throwing a blank as to what the second title is.

NSMB U and... (Wii Fit?) ?

Yes Wii Fit.

Edit- technically Wii Sports is #2 by a 100K or so.

Raonak

Banned
Nope, I'd say that indicators point to the fact that japan is done with consoles.
Handhelds are their norm. It'll probably get around ps3 sales.

But then again, i underestimated the wii. so who knows.

Mondriaan

The worse is that ..just look at the situation in Japan. They clearly reject any expensive high tech machine. Even the WiiU will be too expensive at launch.
Well, judging from that list of games, I would say the problem, if you want to call it that, is that non-gamers are clearly more interested in non-games.

Situation of Vita is completely different. I really don't see how you can compare it to what will happen with home consoles next gen. Whole ecosystem of PSP was built around one game in Japan (MH that sells only Japan too) and in west PSP had been dead for years and sold next to nothing when it came to software. Compare this to PS3 that has several big third party franchises in Japan and is the best selling console in west at the moment and will probably be very much alive even when PS4 launches. Not to mention that in handheld space there is no xbox. In home console space there is and as MS and Sony will probably again launch consoles that are a lot more powerful than Wii publishers have to make decision that will they go with Wii U or PS4/720. I really don't see reason why series like MGS, FF or RE would go to Wii U as they sold great numbers this gen on PS3/360 despite PS3 being outsold by Wii in Japan. It's not rocket science.
It's different, but not completely. If PS4 somehow loses FF, it's going to pull a Vita.

And earlier upthread we already went into the logistics of Japanese devs going bleeding edge for the west again. Wii U's going to end up closer to PS4 than Wii did to PS3, there new opportunities there and both platform holders are coming into things in a much different situation than they did last gen. No 3DS/Vita isn't exactly like Wii U/PS4, but then Wii/PS3 isn't either.

qq more

The worse is that ..just look at the situation in Japan. They clearly reject any expensive high tech machine. Even the WiiU will be too expensive at launch

Huh? 25000 yen sounds pretty reasonable for a new console. Or is there something I'm missing?

Cuddler

Do you guys think that is impossible for Sony or Microsoft to repeat what happened with the Wii (Wiimote and Wii Sports) with a new and different technology?

RedSwirl

Take away Mario RPG, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and a few odd ones like Inazuma Eleven (Europe) or Dragon Quest (when "pushed") what's the RPG from Japan that sell good (and for good I mean really *good*) in the west ?

Japan is still the main market for japanese developed RPG but RPGs as a genre is down compared the past (SNES/PS1) no doubt.
Look at some PS1 charts if you can.
That is in a time when if you want to push graphics in a content-rich genre like RPG it come at a cost that mean you need to sell a minimum number of units to be worth to do it.

It's no surprise we witnessed a shift onto handhelds this past generation.

That's a lot of exceptions man, and the main problem I think the market has gone down is because there haven't even been as many JRPGs released on consoles this gen. I don't think the market can reject what hasn't even been released. The switch to handhelds has applied to Japanese gaming overall, not just one genre.

It's different, but not completely. If PS4 somehow loses FF, it's going to pull a Vita.

And earlier upthread we already went into the logistics of Japanese devs going bleeding edge for the west again. Wii U's going to end up closer to PS4 than Wii did to PS3, there new opportunities there and both platform holders are coming into things in a much different situation than they did last gen. No 3DS/Vita isn't exactly like Wii U/PS4, but then Wii/PS3 isn't either.

MH was PSP exlusive just because DS couldn't run game like MH. With 3DS Nintendo had handheld that could run MH and as DS pretty much dominated whole world during last gen there was little reason to go with Vita especially as MH sold next to nothing in west(and in handheld space Nintendo dominated in the west too). Situation with FF is completely different. They went with HD consoles because they believe that graphics and production values are one of main pillars of why FF sells in the west and as despite the questionable quality of end product XIII went to ship over 6 million copies I see little reason to change the platform. I also believe that the gap between Wii U and PS4/X720 will be smaller than last gen but it will still be so sizable that you pretty much have to make completely different game look wise depending do you develope to Wii U or PS4/720. I missed the conversation of future of Japanese developers but as RE, MGS and FF went to sell so good numbers this gen what is the problem? Not to mention that I think that because of how Japanese developers struggled this gen with modern PC like architecture I think next gen will be actually easier for them. S-E is already developing their coss platfrom next gen engine (luminous) compared to this gen where XIII, XIV and Versus (lol) each one had different engine. Konami has FOX engine and Capcom that already did well this gen has probably next version of MT framework in their developing pipeline.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Your use of precidence is out right flawed. There is no norm here the playstation only has had 3 generations 2 popular 1 not, you can't say when the playstation was popular is now the norm. Might as well say the PS1 and 2 were irreglarities and we've just returned to norm of nintendo domination in nes and snes days. There's no logic behind this, not one bit. It's simply more logical to make predictions on a generation by generation basis. You have mometum and popularity but there is status quo as your implying. Thinking one company dominating is the norm is hopelessly out of touch, is quite frankly the type of thinking that made sony millions in depth this gen.

MH was PSP exlusive just because DS couldn't run game like MH. With 3DS Nintendo had handheld that could run MH and as DS pretty much dominated whole world during last gen there was little reason to go with Vita especially as MH sold next to nothing in west(and in handheld space Nintendo dominated in the west too). Situation with FF is completely different. They went with HD consoles because they believe that graphics and production values are one of main pillars of why FF sells in the west and as despite the questionable quality of end product XIII went to ship over 6 million copies I see little reason to change the platform. I also believe that the gap between Wii U and PS4/X720 will be smaller than last gen but it will still be so sizable that you pretty much have to make completely different game look wise depending do you develope to Wii U or PS4/720. I missed the conversation of future of Japanese developers but as RE, MGS and FF went to sell so good numbers this gen what is the problem? Not to mention that I think that because of how Japanese developers struggled this gen with modern PC like architecture I think next gen will be actually easier for them. S-E is already developing their coss platfrom next gen engine (luminous) compared to this gen where XIII, XIV and Versus (lol) each one had different engine. Konami has FOX engine and Capcom that already did well this gen has probably next version of MT framework in their developing pipeline.
Wii wasn't capable of running RE5/6, FFXIII/2 and MGS4, so it didn't get them. Much like how DS wasn't capable if running MHP1-3. It's shortsighted to say anything about where these games are guaranteed to go next gen. FFXIII shipped a decent amount in the end but it's development was problematic to say the least and it's star has fallen considerably in the west. XIII-2 and XIV both bombed hard, and XIV's A Realm Reborn revovery effort is looking iffy at best. RE5 and RE6 have both sold incredibly well (even though the latter is still going to miss it's targets), but then so did RE games on Wii and RE6's bloated resource demands led to a controversial end product that may end up damaging the brand long term. MGS4 did okay with it's herculean push, Rising went through dev hell before Platinum saved it and now Ground Zeros is going multi and likely releasing on last gen hardware after next gen launches. There really is room for opportunity and incentive for all these franchises going forward on all 3 consoles, especially with a "hungry" Nintendo on the offensive and it's not like Nintendo doesn't present a large worldwide base either. It really isn't all that different from Monster Hunter, which easily could've gotten by with PSP level assets on Vita. It still could honestly, I wouldn't entirely rule out MH Vita even tiday.

btw, XIII, XIV and Versus all use White Engine / Crystal Tools. It's evolved over the years, but it's the same base engine. A Realm Reborn does evidently move to a new engine (that isn't Luminous Engine?) if that's what you're thinking of.

flattie

Even Kojima might come around when faced with market realities. He did with Xbox 360.

Assuming that the Wii U becomes a significant force in other territories. Market leadership in Japan will not swing international developers/publishers if it isn't replicated in North America and Europe.

test_account

XP-39C²
Very hard to say. The Wii didnt dominate this generation in Japan (like the Famicom did as stated in the OP), so looking at the Wii isnt much to go by in my opinion. We dont know anything about the PS4 either, regarding features, software support or price.

Wii wasn't capable of running RE5/6, FFXIII/2 and MGS4, so it didn't get them. Much like how DS wasn't capable if running MHP1-3. It's shortsighted to say anything about where these games are guaranteed to go next gen. FFXIII shipped a decent amount in the end but it's development was problematic to say the least and it's star has fallen considerably in the west. XIII-2 and XIV both bombed hard, and XIV's A Realm Reborn revovery effort is looking iffy at best. RE5 and RE6 have both sold incredibly well (even though the latter is still going to miss it's targets), but then so did RE games on Wii and RE6's bloated resource demands led to a controversial end product that may end up damaging the brand long term. MGS4 did okay with it's herculean push, Rising went through dev hell before Platinum saved it and now Ground Zeros is going multi and likely releasing on last gen hardware after next gen launches. There really is room for opportunity and incentive for all these franchises going forward on all 3 consoles, especially with a "hungry" Nintendo on the offensive and it's not like Nintendo doesn't present a large worldwide base either. It really isn't all that different from Monster Hunter, which easily could've gotten by with PSP level assets on Vita. It still could honestly, I wouldn't entirely rule out MH Vita even tiday.

btw, XIII, XIV and Versus all use White Engine / Crystal Tools. It's evolved over the years, but it's the same base engine. A Realm Reborn does evidently move to a new engine (that isn't Luminous Engine?) if that's what you're thinking of.

Well even in the case that all these previous PS3 exclusives would go to Wii U (I still don't believe that they will) they wouldn't be exclusive to it like MH is looking to be for 3DS (Nintendo is probably going to help Capcom big time in west) so PS3 would still get these games (with superior versions to boot). Not to mention that some games just tend to sell better on PS than on Nintendo platforms. We saw it with Tales series this gen. Then there is also some western games that pull decent numbers in Japan that Wii U won't have (like GTA). I just really don't see PS4 doing as bad as Vita. At worst it will do Gamecube like numbers (5 million).

Kenai

So far the biggest reason it won't dominate is the 3DS.

It's a legit reason. However, if Nintendo does the connectivity thing right, the 3DS could end up not only being a reason to get a WiiU, but a reason to get a WiiU over a PS4 or anything else in the case of multiplatform stuff.

I have no idea if this will be properly capitalized on, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom