• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any way to disable the PS3 Sixaxis? It's going crazy in the main menu and netflix

DedValve

Banned
So just the other day whenever I started the PS3 I found myself fighting the controller just to play a game as the main menu would either go all the way to the right or left or jump around menus.

Even on Netflix I'm getting massively annoyed as I pick up the controller and it either fast forwards, skips or rewinds. I'm now starting to realize that this is because of the sixaxis and how I hold my controller.

If I'm not holding my controller perfectly still and UPRIGHT I'm moving around menus or fast forwarding like crazy. It's unbelievably annoying to the point where I can't use Netflix anymore.

The moment I get into a game however the sixaxis works perfectly fine (whenever a game uses it that is).

Any fix on this?

kmg90

I find it hard to believe you as owning the system for 6 years the only motion controls that are system wide on the PS3 is the move controller...

That doesn't make sense to me. I didn't know menu and Netflix use Sixaxis motion. That's what your saying, right?

The problem is with your controller. The d-pad or analog stick is probably busted.

Edit: It could also be L2/R2. Those triggers are pretty shit and will loosen up after a few years.

Dante316

Op its your controller. Mine has same issue, either your dpad is messed up or the analog sticks. They might appear perfectly fine sometimes but they are not. Buy new one

Ephemeris

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

image.php

Your controller is busted. The Sixaxis isn't setup to control the menus or Netflix.

Unless your PS3 is thinking it's a Move controller for some reason, which does control things through motion.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Take it apart and put tape on the piece of foam that presses the surface contacts into the board, it gets mushed down over time and freaks out, known issue. Google for a teardown guide if ya need one, I fixed both of my controllers that way.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's not the Sixaxis, as others have said. Your controller is busted. One of mine registers button presses (R2, Square, etc) if I shake it or move it slightly hard.

All my launch controllers have probs with the sticks. They float and move on their own.
I Red and Blue bought maybe 2-3 years ago, one has a L2 that jiggles and fires on its own and the other has face buttons I need to smash to get a response. All I have now is a Black packed in controller I got boxed with my Slim, about 2 years old.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Same exact thing happened to me a few months ago. Had to get a new controller. It sucks. I think its actually the stick doing it.

Bruiserk

I was confused until I realized you were referencing the actual controller, rather than the motion controls. I completely forgot that the controller was called the sixaxis until the DS3 came out.

That's not sixaxis. Try to reset your controller. Maybe that will help.
How do you do this?

My sixaxis is doing exactly the same thing as the OPs and it is as if certain motions on teh Sixaxis act as button presses. I will be playing a racing game and a slight movement of the controller will trigger a button press changing gears or views or what-have-you.

To be honest I have never bothered to narrow it down to a single button but I might try after seeing this thread.

Psxphile

My controller sometimes activates the cross button when I tap Up on the Dpad. It's only been a minor annoyance, but now I'm worried it may be a precursor for worse. Does the controller reset talked about in that video fix the issue, or should I start preparing to pick up a new one?

whitehawk

Banned
The only thing the Sixaxis does in the main menu is move the sparkling sparkles :D
oh my god. Just turned on my PS3 to test this. And if you shake the controller, the sparkles go crazy. This almost belongs in the mindblowing video game facts thread lol.

PTG

How do you do this?

My sixaxis is doing exactly the same thing as the OPs and it is as if certain motions on teh Sixaxis act as button presses. I will be playing a racing game and a slight movement of the controller will trigger a button press changing gears or views or what-have-you.

To be honest I have never bothered to narrow it down to a single button but I might try after seeing this thread.

Here you go

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/444

Just follow the 3 steps. If that doesn't work then you may have to replace your controller.

Top Bottom