• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Wii U owners pissed off the console is getting replaced soon?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Not really. There's honestly enough content for me to justify the purchase already.

What will piss me off so is if they don't have a good way to transition digital content to a proper permanent account system

I didn't buy a wiiu until i was forced to with smash because of Nintendo's ineptitude with online. I haven't bought any vc games because of this.

stuminus3

Disappointed that it hasn't caught on and as such we haven't seen much in the way of anything that realises it's potential (though to be fair the Wii sold like gangbusters and there wasn't much that really took advantage of that either).

"Pissed off", I mean this is the system with Splatoon. How can I be mad?

Not pissed no. Had some fun with it, still hoping to have a lot of fun with Xenoblade X and Zelda but Nintendo definitely won't catch me there from the start with the new supposed console. Maybe later in the console's life, depending on the games, but I don't want to support them again from the start and sit there through their mistakes hoping that they figure something out.

Interested in seeing what they come up with, but they definitely can't mess it up again or I'm done, PC will be enough.

Azure J

I'm more than OK with it. The Wii U games aren't going to evaporate with NX's launch and NX might (I really hope) be a better dwelling place for continued efforts in ongoing franchises.

Plus Splatoon sequel with spectator modes and local LAN play via ethernet possibility.

aka Nintendo stop skimping out on ethernet ports

Chastten

Banned
Nope.

I mean, I don't NEED it replaced or anything, but even if it does get replaced it has had a great run and some of the best games of this generation. I'm still playing catch up as I only bought it less than a year ago. I just bought Splatoon, Xenoblade arrives next week, I still need to get around to playing Pikmin 3 and Hyrule Warriors, and there will be a handfull of new games in 2016 which, combined with the stellar 3DS line-up, is more then enough to keep me busy until well into 2017.

I'm okay with a new console, since most times the games are backwards compatible. I hope the next console is a straight up gaming console with Regular controllers. No pad, wii motes and the like.

Look forward to the new Zelda, Twilight Princess, Star Fox and Xenoblade X.

Dicer

Banned
More pissed at 3rd parties that delivered garbage at the get go then declared it a failure...

Having a great time with the console otherwise

Pejo

I'm happy with the library, but yea I wish the system would have had more legs. I really love the (few) unique things they've done with the gamepad. It's too bad that low adoption by devs, battery life, and low sales have doomed it to be another failed gimmick.

I am fairly sure that my Wii U library is bigger than my Wii library by a large margin, and about on par with my GC/N64 libraries, so I'm not super upset.

Oreoleo

If NX was coming out this year I'd be pretty sore. But with Star Fox and Zelda still on the horizon I'm okay with what we got out of the console, considering how it's sold.

Wasp

Considering the very short lifespan and total lack of third party support and a moderate lack of first party support of the Wii U I'm reluctant to buy its successor. I have a feeling that Nintendo are going to repeat many of the same mistakes again and run into many of the same problems with the NX. I wouldn't be surprised if the NX sells very poorly too.

Branson

There's hundreds of hours of fun to get out of it still. I'm not disappointed at all. Zelda, Xenoblade, all look like great games. Plus the VC games I never got around to playing. Bayonetta 2 I need to play, Donkey Kong. Honestly I have had more fun with my Wii U than my Xbox one.

Also I hate this mentality that you have to get rid of it because there's this stigma of only having a few games left or its "dying". Get over it. There are great games on there so play those and stop worrying about the stigma attached to it.

GulAtiCa

Soon? It released in late 2012. If it releases late 2016, that's 4 years. But that's if it's a 2016 release. It might be a 2017, then it's closer to 5.

Nah. I've had mine since launch and at this point I feel totally satisfied. The few games that have been released have exceeded my expectations. With a year left and a handful of big titles (Pokken, TP HD, SF, Zelda U) I say bring on the new hardware.

Not pissed at all but if NX is going to be backwards compatibility with the Wii U games, then I'll be pissed because I only got mine just to play Xenoblade Chronicles X and Genei Ibun Roku #FE.

Machina

Banned
I've already sold mine to my aunt who is giving it to my cousin for christmas. She is getting a bargain to be honest. My Wii U would be staying around for nothing except Zelda, but NX will inevitably have it too.

I would be lying if I said I'm not massively disappointed in Nintendo. They honestly should have worked out this shit was never going to fly way earlier. I'm talking immediately after the E3 when they announced the Wii U and the response they got after. THAT should have been a pretty obvious red flag that GAMERs, the people Nintendo were trying to lure back were highly skeptical.

imjust1n

Banned
Not really I'm happy nintedo is quickly trying to make something better. Plus the wiiu has tons of great amazing games and more to come in not disapointed at all.

AgeEighty

It's probably going to come out in late 2016. That gives the Wii U a four year lifespan. That's on the short side, but it's the same lifespan as the original Xbox. It's not unheard of.

Besides, there just aren't enough Wii U owners to justify keeping it around longer, unfortunately. They can't wait until 2017, because by then we'll have started hearing about PS5 and Xbox 4 and no matter what the NX ends up being like, people will want to wait and see what those will offer. And they certainly can't afford to wait until 2018 or 2019 to release concurrently with those systems.

Yeah, just another disappointment in a long long line of disappointments. IF it's getting replaced soon.

I'm so glad I only bought 1 extra controller for that thing. Couldn't image how cheated I'd feel if I bought more.

Brew124

No. I prefer them to quickly move on from the Wii U because it hasn't caught on at all. The lifelong Nintendo fan in me wants a return to a traditional console with no gimmicks.. just a powerful enough system with plenty of games. There's been enough stuff on the Wii U that has justified my owning one over the years, and still a couple more coming.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

times 850k

AdanVC

NES : October 1985

7 years later

SNES : August 1991

5 years later

N64 : September 1996

5 years later

Cube : November 2001

5 years later

Wii : November 2006

6 years later

WiiU : November 2012

5 years later

NX : November 2017

Even if NX releases on November 2016 just one year less than most console lives is pretty big for how financial failure the WiiU was

Even if Wii U is such a nice little console I freaking hope it doesn't last till 2017 with NX launching until then. For some reason I had enough of the Wii U concept and I simply cannot wait to move on to new Nintendo hardware. The games are nice but certainly the console itself is starting to show it's age. Starting by the fact that the gamepad screen is not even in HD...

Venfayth

Not a WiiU owner, but definitely someone on the fence about buying one. I want Mario Maker and the new Xenoblade, but I really don't want to buy a console for just those two games. Every time I almost buy it on impulse, I remind myself NX is coming and it'll be a waste. Sorry Nintendo, do better next time.

Memory

NX won't be available until mid-late 2017 I'm certain of it.

I actually believe they might even sell it in two parts with the portable being available first.

In anycase 2016 is already stacked for games on my other systems so even as a Nintendo fan I won't be buying NX at luanch if its 2016, unless it's reveal and luanch line is amazing of course.

It's not like there's any solid evidence the NX home console is coming in 2016. The Wii U doom train is just a lot of fun to hop on, so posters love claiming that an NX release in 2016 is inevitable. But it could be 2017, or maybe only the portable comes out in 2016, or maybe they originally planned to put out the home console in 2016 but the date already slipped to 2017, or any number of other scenarios.

I picked up a lot of games for it over the years so my purchase was justified in the end. Even after having a PS4 for a week I still feel that it has the best current library available off of the strength of Nintendo's 1st party alone. I have no regrets buying a Wii U but I do regret buying it day 1. Nintendo has to show me that they will avoid every single obvious mistake they made with the Wii U for the NX.

Monocle

The exclusives it already has are too good for me to care. As someone who tends to buy consoles for one or two games I really want to play, I have nothing to complain about. Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 alone justified my purchase. All of the great first party Nintendo stuff, plus little gems like ZombiU, are bonuses.

The UI itself, along with features like off-TV play, are great as well.

Vandole

I'm good. Ive had it since launch, and while I would have liked to have seen a few more games I'm happy enough with my library. Plus, through the Mario Kart promotion, the Digital Rewards program, and the Club Nintendo giveaways I got my hands on plenty of free games, so there was plenty of value in the system.

Branson

Not a WiiU owner, but definitely someone on the fence about buying one. I want Mario Maker and the new Xenoblade, but I really don't want to buy a console for just those two games. Every time I almost buy it on impulse, I remind myself NX is coming and it'll be a waste. Sorry Nintendo, do better next time.

It won't be a waste because all of those games are great and you can play them now. It's worth it for the exclusives alone.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
As far as we can tell the NX will likely be a 2017 release, which means that the Wii U will have the usual 5-year lifespan a console should have. Seems fine to me.

Calamari41

41 > 38
No. I've had an amazing three years with it, and I'm looking forward to the releases coming next year as well. I understand its situation in the market, and honestly I feel lucky that Nintendo didn't panic and kill it off sooner.

First off, I think you are expecting something a lot sooner than its actually coming OP.

Even if NX launches next year, I feel I had plenty of fun with my Wii U, and even if Xenoblade is the last game I play on it, that's a hell of a way to go out.

Foffy

Banned
Nope, I guess OP knows something we don't.

NX is getting kits out, and one of the last things Iwata spoke about publicly was that this was their next platform project.

Then there's the fact Dragon Quest X & XI is for the platform, and you can imagine the platform is not that far off.

Effect

Not pissed off. Disappointed. I like the system and the games on it. I have a lot of games for the system so I think I have gotten my money out of it. However I recognize it's not going to be success in the way Nintendo needs it to be or even I as a customer want it to be. I can only hope Nintendo doesn't make the same mistakes with the NX that they made with the Wii U.

Top Bottom