• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Wii U owners pissed off the console is getting replaced soon?

I had always planned on purchasing one, but the Zelda E3 showing is what finally sold me. The only way I'd be pissed is if the Zelda NX port is superior by leaps and bounds.

Of course not. I want Nintendo to be successful, and not just because I like the company but the means more ambitious Nintendo games. The Wii U wasn't that expensive, especially when I bought it.

Besides, if they manage to combine handheld and console with the NX, that would be HUGE for the output of games Nintendo will be able to make because you would eventually have all your devs move over to NX instead of being split like they have been until now with some making handheld games and some making console games.

MagnesD3

kinda the wii u has just not been that big of an impact and I want something from nintendo to hit me hard so good change is welcome but at the same time this life cycle has been so short and it feels like the new star fox hat ive been wanting for years has possibly been sent out to die with its pretty short development time and thats no bueno..

Skelter

Banned
I just want to know what will happen to my games. I'm fully digital so if I sell the console I lose everything. I wonder if they have anything in store for people who downloaded.

I don't give a shit about physical.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
A bit, but they made too many mistakes

I bought mine in 2014, so only getting 2-3 years out of it is a bit low. If NX's library turns out more vibrant with 3rd party support than Wii U's then it will be worth it. Bit of a shame, since I really like the tablet controller.

Wagram

I'm waiting next time to buy a Nintendo machine. I'm not falling into the Nintendo only games trap anymore. No third parties - no buy for me.

It'll be a first for me.

No. This little machine is still going to be a fixture at my local pub on tuesdays and my friends like playing it, so I have no reason to be pissed. It has provided me with great times, both alone and with friends, and is still my go to for AC4-related HUDless relaxation.

Lucreto

I little disappointed, I didn't get a Wii but got a Wii U. I got a few games and get some of the best Wii games. But when the PS4 released I went exclusively to that. My Wii U didn't get the use it should have gotten.

Would I get a NX? Probably not, but I will have see where they go with it. Will they add trophies/achievements? Will they have a online network similar to Xbox and PlayStation? Will it have a proper controller that is not a gimmick and backwards compatibility? If yes I might consider it.

NickMitch

Nope.

I've got my money worth by it tenfold. The enjoyment from nintendoland with friends is enough to bring a smile on my face.

Also the stellar first party games (not counting the q4 2015 games so far) is something any gamer should play once in their lifetime.

Also I am not a fan of the 10+ year lifespan that ms and Sony seem to be aiming for

AniHawk

Did you forget the ps2? Last gen Sony sold some 80 mil ps3's. The ps4 is on track to beat that. It probably won't keep the pace up to reach the ps2 but will definitely beat the ps3.

did you forget the psp? last gen sony sold 165m+ units of hardware. the ps4 and vita are going to track well below that.

Dr. Buni

Definitely. I am only buying the so called NX if it's a handheld. I don't trust Nintendo with consoles anymore. To me a console should last 5 years with good support, to the very least... Which sadly isn't the case for the Wii U.

Other than the SNES, I feel like Nintendo's packed more quality gaming into 3 years on the Wii U than they've done on pretty much any of their other systems. I'm okay with them moving on in a year or two.

. (Activision surely would've halted Splatoon updates by now in preparation for Splatoon 2).
this is a bit unfair. They are still patching advanced warfare even after blops 3 was released. That's more than most annual franchises get. Black ops 2 got updates 2 full years after release. Trey arch in particular is awesome about that stuff

CrisKre

No. The system has justified its purchase a LOONG time ago. Legendary first party output IMO. Being an adult I also understand market conditions and comprehend why its getting replaced, and given the situation I feel Nintendo supported it gracefully.

AntMurda

No. The system has justified its purchase a LOONG time ago. Legendary first party output IMO. Being an adult I also understand market conditions and comprehend why its getting replaced, and given the situation I feel Nintendo supported it gracefully.

Nintendo is always going to have great first-party output. But the system still trails behind the Wii / N64 / SNES. Maybe it beats the GCN there.

Apathy

did you forget the psp? last gen sony sold 165m+ units of hardware. the ps4 and vita are going to track well below that.

First off I said home consoles, second, no one mixes both home and handhelds to make a point. Even Sony and Nintendo separate their numbers.

Nope, I bought my on launch and have played at least 15 games that I've had a good time with. If anything I want them to launch NX as soon as possible, I'm ready for something new and excited to see what the NX is bringing to the table.

drotahorror

Of course. It's why I sold all of my Wii U and 3DS stuff after that pathetic E3 showing. I'm not gonna support a sinking ship for 1.5 years

E3 wasn't my #1 reason for selling my 3ds and wii u but it didn't help at all. I sold right after E3 as well.

Nintendo is always going to have great first-party output. But the system still trails behind the Wii / N64 / SNES. Maybe it beats the GCN there.

Wii U had better Mario games for sure. But it never got a Metroid or F Zero. Hard for Wii U to beat GC when it didn't have either of those imo.

JoeM86

4 year cycle isn't that bad. Xbox had it. GBA had it (less in fact).

I'm not jumping for joy, but meh. Wii U isn't selling despite it being the best console I have played so needs of the many

Minions

Not pissed. However I'm not planning to get the next Nintendo console until a few years into the launch cycle, by which point the console will be cheaper and there will hopefully be lots of must have games available.

ghibli99

Nope. It's been home to some of the best games this generation, and while I would love for it to have a longer life, Nintendo also needs to do what's right for their business. No need to be pissed over it. Stuff like this happens. I've enjoyed it more than the N64 and GameCube, easily.

Glix

I think sad is the right word, not pissed.

Its a fantastic system, and I wish it had more time to shine and more time for great software to be produced for it. The visuals are fantastic, frankly I don't need any more power.

Yushi

Being a PC gamer i upgrade every 4 years (and usually a 1000+$ in that upgrade) so a new console for me is cheap

Beside I always need a Playstation and a nintendo console beside that PC. I will follow them with NX no matter what.

Nah, got a lot of gaming out of it and still more to come. I expect to keep it connected through the years, I still have my Wii for the kids.

Played some of the best games, and most important a very welcome change of pace from other AAA games. I love the gameplay first approach of nintendo. I still need to beat W101, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell, Lego Marvel, play more MK8 and some VC stuff. I need to get Bayo 2, Captain Toad, Splatoon, Smash, Hyrule Warriors, X, Kirby, Lego games, so bunch of stuff. I got the Wii and Wii U at launch, and I now have a PS4. Due to my gaming time I think I will get next gen consoles 2 years or more down the road.

Having a PS4 and Wii U, PS4 games look great and I see the difference with Wii U, but honestly I have had so much fun and have great looking games on the Wii U, that the graphics difference does not bother me.

I think sad is the right word, not pissed.

Its a fantastic system, and I wish it had more time to shine and more time for great software to be produced for it. The visuals are fantastic, frankly I don't need any more power.

I am with you on this, sadly we are not a lot. The Wii U got a lot of bad rep at launch and the visuals were part of it. To me it was a case of not the right games at launch. just imagine if Mario Kart 8 had launch with the system, the visual thing would have been less criticized.

got my hours out of the wiiu, so not pissed off at all.

i gave my wii away, so being that it houses both collections and a hefty anount of digital content i wont be getting rid of it either.

every major home console zelda game is playable on it, with oot & mm in wii mode, skyward sword & twilight princess on wii discs, wind waker hd wiiu disc, the others on virtual console so the wiiu will be staying with me based on that alone.

im ready for a new nintendo console and hoping they really knock out a gem this time around.

mackattk

I have enjoyed it. There are some absolutely fantastic games on the machine.

That being said, I will probably hold off on getting another Nintendo console until they can get their online accounts and everything sorted out.

Nah.

4 years is on the shorter side, but i don´t mind. Last gen with their 8 year cycle warped peoples minds as if that was normal.

And i got it for cheap, so whatever.

And yes, they´re launching fall 2016. They´re not going to reveal it in early 2016 or E3 2016 and wait till fall 2017. That´s ridiculous and straight up stupid in our social media world now. You can´t do that anymore. And no, Nintendo isn´t that stupid. Inb4 "but we´re talking about nintendo hur dur".

atbigelow

Not me. Owner since day one, and I've always felt slightly let down with it the whole time.

Don't get me wrong: some of the games are absolutely fantastic and I don't regret purchasing it. But it's definitely felt unpolished the entire time I've owned it. It was a misstep and I'm alright with that.

cHinzo

Nope, had plenty of fun with the console. Only wish there were even more co-op games coming out, since I've played through most of them. ;__; Can't wait for the new 2D Mario. Always the best co-op experience and the last one was so good. Especially the bonus levels were crazy (Run For It!).

woopWOOP

I'm good.
I mean, more support is always nice, but the amount of games or playtime I got out of that thing isn't disappointing at all. Console had a good run.

Ofcourse the NX is gonna have to convince me first before I get one and that might take another couple of years.

Soodanim

I have more Wii U games than GameCube games, and I didn't regret that. I think I justified the purchase with the quality of the games.

Nintendo is going to have to show a lot in this next console. There is no way I'm buying a new console from them until I see better support and a updated UI that includes voice chat and a achievement system or rating. The old "just buy them for the first party" doesn't hold water anymore. And while there at it they need to refine their online ID and store and get with the times.

finalflame

Not at all. I'm super excited for Nintendo to release a new console and new titles with much more technical capability, better marketing and exposure, and to have the good will of the public and third parties again.

The WiiU has done what it came to do, and has done so mediocrely. The console is obviously a testament to "old" Nintendo and simply cannot compete with the current generation of hardware from Sony and Microsoft. I am very, very excited to see a new console on par or exceeding the technical capabilities, with the backing of Nintendo IPs.

It has been clear, at least for the past year, that the WiiU was reaching the end of its life early. Anyone refusing to believe this was just not paying attention to the writing on the wall. I've had my WiiU since release in 2012, and am super ok with the games I did get to play on it.

Top Bottom