• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody else here think PS5 and Xbox Series X exclusive launch titles underwhelming?

From what I’ve seen so far, it seems to me that the exclusive launch titles for both consoles are quite underwhelming. Am I missing something?

PS5:
- Deathloop (timed console exclusive), looks ok.
- Godfall (timed console exclusive), looks meh.
- Spider-Man Miles Morales, basically a Spider-Man DLC launched as PS5 standalone game.

Xbox Series X:
- Halo Infinite (console exclusive). Not going to say anything because it has been beaten enough.
- The Medium (timed console exclusive). Actually, looks interesting.

If not for mutiplat games and backward compatibility, it would be a sad launch for the consoles…

I have to agree. if it wasnt for spiderman i wouldnt even be getting a ps5 at launch. Still not sure i will. I'll be getting XSX for halo and multiplat games(everyone i know plays xbox). Very disappointing launch lineup from both companies. then on top of that, some games like cyberpunk don't launch with next gen console improvements. They will be added at a later date.

Also, you're right. The Medium does look really interesting. can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
From what I’ve seen so far, it seems to me that the exclusive launch titles for both consoles are quite underwhelming. Am I missing something?

PS5:
- Spider-Man Miles Morales, basically a Spider-Man DLC launched as PS5 standalone game.

Xbox Series X:
- Halo Infinite (console exclusive). Not going to say anything because it has been beaten enough.

If not for mutiplat games and backward compatibility, it would be a sad launch for the consoles…

Love your Spiderman dlc take lol tht says enough about the agenda here lol furthermore we don't really know PS5 launch games if even one fourth of what was shown is launch tht shit is fire and I cant Wait. Shit if Ratchet and Spiderman alone or GT is launch, its twenty times better than competition and I'm happy. Btw Godfall is looking good.

Last edited:

Greeno

We need more gameplay walkthroughs. I just feel like I don't know much about most of the games shown at both press conferences.

The only games that showcased how gameplay would be like and the objectives of said gameplay, at both conferences, are:
* Ratchet and Clank
* Gran Turismo 7
* Halo Infinite
* The Medium

Other than that, no game showcased what objectives do they have in gameplay. I still don't know what most other games that showcased snippets of gameplay play like.

Not very often you get a mega exclusive with a console launch. And it’s not usually until the second holiday that things start heating up proper.

Bryank75

Banned
We need more gameplay walkthroughs. I just feel like I don't know much about most of the games shown at both press conferences.

The only games that showcased how gameplay would be like and the objectives of said gameplay, at both conferences, are:
* Ratchet and Clank
* Gran Turismo 7
* Halo Infinite
* The Medium

Other than that, no game showcased what objectives do they have in gameplay. I still don't know what most other games that showcased snippets of gameplay play like.
The PlayStation conference had 12 games with gameplay segments.

MV5BNWViOTgzZjItNWE0OC00NDljLTlhMzItNGI0YTExYTU2MjU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU3Nzk4MDQ@._V1_.jpg

The wife and I are super excited about this game. I'm super excited about Deathloop, which ill prolly play on PC tbh.

I'm still getting my consoles day 1 cause I know the future will be better, but as of right now neither of them are offering anything I consider 'must have' experiences

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Forgot about Astro, great that it's free and pre-loaded. I always wanted to play the VR game. Should be a great few hours of fun. Reminds me of Mario Odyssey! :)
That's exactly what I was thinking it's like a Nintendo style platformer I'm excited for it

Tschumi

I think you're mistaken. I don't think you're actually feeling 'meh' about the games...

... I think you're just realizing that, all said and done, these are just games. Same thing we've been playing for our whole lives. We built up these consoles to be such important moments in our lives, but in reality they are just new, expensive, more complicated ways of assisting us in wasting time playing makebelieve stuff. So you went in to either presentation expecting to have your eyes opened to new glories of the medium - instead you just saw some pretty samey stuff.

That's how I feel, I guess.

But there are exceptions...

... Kena, for one, looks pretty great, I'm super excited about Sony bringing Zelda gameplay to the level of polish and dramatic flair they seem to demand... It reminds me of the unexpected gems on my Vita - things like Tearaway - that I just had no business expecting, but which have ultimately given me this kind of optimism. I hope Kena becomes an exclusive. And despite the inevitable consequences of eternally pushing back their title, Cyberpunk is probably going to revolutionize a few genres. Thunderstorms in Flight Simulator look legiiiit. There are more examples~

Last edited by a moderator:

Exede

Both launch lineups aren't that great, but it's like this on nearly every non nintendo console launch. They have at leat one system seller at launch. But i will be there on day 1 for sony and microsoft. That's couse PS5 will be my silent (oh please be silent) PS4 replacement. And XSX couse i own Game Pass Ultimate and my PC is now 6 years old.

Vawn

Banned
I think miles morales has potential if they price it accordingly , 70$ is a lot for DLC.

But neither has officially announced their launch lineup I think? So perhaps it's a bit early to make this call.

DLC for what? A different game on a completely different console?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
My brother! Between Spider-man Miles Morales, Kena and Astro's Playroom I'm good at launch. Throw in Cyberpunk 2077 and I have my new favorite launch lineup

That's the thing: potentially the biggest title of the year is probably going to be a launch title for the Xbox Series X. (MS would be mad if they didn't align the release of Cyberpunk 2077 and Xbox Series X). And I assume the PS5 will be released at about the same time. I think there's a good chance the PS5 will launch earlier since it looks to be further along than Xbox. I think most pople will pick up Cyberpunk 2077, those console exclusives are going to be an afterthought for most people.

Hobbygaming

That's the thing: potentially the biggest title of the year is probably going to be a launch title for the Xbox Series X. (MS would be mad if they didn't align the release of Cyberpunk 2077 and Xbox Series X). And I assume the PS5 will be released at about the same time. I think there's a good chance the PS5 will launch earlier since it looks to be further along than Xbox. I think most pople will pick up Cyberpunk 2077, those console exclusives are going to be an afterthought for most people.
Cyberpunk 2077 will be on both consoles though and Spider-man is a different kind of animal especially with how high Marvel is regarded nowadays

Hobbygaming

It's been stated by the Devs that it's comparable to Uncharted Lost Legacy in game play content.

Uncharted Lost Legacy is a full game though so Spider-man Miles Morales will be a full game with that comparison they made

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Cyberpunk 2077 will be on both consoles though and Spider-man is a different kind of animal especially with how high Marvel is regarded nowadays

There's also that Avengers game coming out for PS5 and Xbox One. But I fear that game is going to be a dumpster fire, it looked bad.

Hobbygaming

There's also that Avengers game coming out for PS5 and Xbox One. But I fear that game is going to be a dumpster fire, it looked bad.
Yeah I really don't know about that Avengers game it might be good but sometimes it looks rough

Gamernyc78

Banned
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me personally, I have the following which excludes timed console exclusievs as I consider all of them to be multi-platform titles -

XBOX SERIES X
- Crossfire X (campaign)
- Gears Tactics
- Halo Infinite
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Second Extinction
- The Ascent

PLAYSTATION 5
- Spider Man: Miles Morales

I am expecting Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in Spring 2020 but even then, to buy a PlayStation 5 at launch knowing it's going to sit there collecting dust while I play my Series X just makes no sense to me. I figure by the time Sony releases PlayStation 5 Pro, I should have at least 5 exclusives that I want to play.

Timed exclusive wise, the vast majority of them on both consoles don't interest me at all and the few that do like The Medium is on Game Pass which is great because if I don't like it, I can drop it with no monetary loss whatsoever and move on to my next game. On the PlayStation 5 side, I am very interested in Godfall but seeing as how it's going to be a live service game, I would much rather wait the year for it to release on Series X and see how it all played out plus im sure I'll get extra goodies that PlayStation 5 owners will have to pay for. Project Athia is a timed console exclusive but it's Square Enix which means that it could be 10 years away. LOL. Only other timed exclusive is Kena which I'll wait for especially since this game seems like a perfect fit for Game Pass.

Can't wait for November!!! Wish it was here already!!!

In general, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will have the best overall launch lineups in gaming history. Exclusives may be a little underwhelming but the entire year has been underwhelming. At this point, I just want them to be released and I'll be a happy gamer. :)

PS5:

Xbox Series X:

Your list is incomplete. There are more timed exclusives on both. Do full research and post entire lineup

cormack12

Gold Member
OP is right - shocking lineups, up to now. I'd be interested in seeing fi there is a native BC boost mode on the PS5 as that will factor into the decision to go ro stay. I know the XsX will as it has that software scaling that MS use that bumps the likes of RDR up to 4K etc. It sounds like Sony would rather bring the system down to keep compatibilty, I just wanna know what to expect. Will it upscale before the TV? Will it level out 30fps or will it allow the game to burst into unlocked or 60 despite how the game was built? Will it give any fake HDR......

Jacknapes

For launch, if Kena is confirmed for PS5 launch i'll be happy. Plus Destiny 2 is PS5 bound via the latest pack, and the PS4 library will suffice. Haven't picked up Ghost of Tsushima yet, so will get it cheap around PS5 launch.

Derktron

Banned
I don’t think there underwhelming, I just think they aren’t showing enough we’re almost 3 months away from the start of next generation & we hardly know anything. There hasn’t been a single tech demo, a major gameplay out of each game, announced. I just feel like next generation is off to a slow start. I mean yeah it’s understandable that we’re going through a global crisis. But it would be nice to see some more information other than waiting till a big event to take place.

Derktron

Banned
For launch, if Kena is confirmed for PS5 launch i'll be happy. Plus Destiny 2 is PS5 bound via the latest pack, and the PS4 library will suffice. Haven't picked up Ghost of Tsushima yet, so will get it cheap around PS5 launch.
I’m hoping Kena is a launch game.

Greeno

The PlayStation conference had 12 games with gameplay segments.
I don't think you understood what I meant. Sure, they showed segments of gameplay. Can you tell me what can I do in games like Kena? What I can I do in games like Project Athia? What can I do in games like Stray? What is the objective of these games???

Gran Turismo told you exactly how it will play like. The same is true for Ratchet and Clank. Maybe Deathloop too. Other games just showcased gameplay of a character moving or jumping around. It doesn't tell you much.

Compare these segments to what we've seen at 2013's E3. Nearly all games shown at 2013's E3 had gameplay that actually showed how the game plays when you have it in hand. The gameplay thoroughly explored the mechanics of these said games.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
And? Tht definitely could have been a stand alone. Shit many believe it is better than Uncharted 4 itself.

However, Uncharted 4 tooks 15-18 hours to beat (according to the aggregate from howlongtobeat.com) while Lost Legacy takes 7 to 8 hours.

Insomniac themselves came forward (which is good that they're being open about it) and said expect a DLC sized campaign, not full game campaign.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Uncharted Lost Legacy is a full game though so Spider-man Miles Morales will be a full game with that comparison they made

It's technically a "full" game but the scope of the campaign and the asset reuse places it firmly in the "stand-alone expansion" category. Doesn't mean it's a bad game, but it shipped with half the campaign Uncharted 4 did.

GymWolf

They are graphically ok at best but in terms of quality i take black spiderman, a new halo, kena and some other over fantavision or xsquad or most launch titles fron past gens.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Spidey is huge.
Yes and no. I love the shit out of Insomiac Spider-Man but a 10 hour expansion game is still probably not quite up to the level of marquee launch title, even with some nice enhancements to the engine.

Then again, Infamous Second Son was probably about that long.

MrS

Banned
Impossible to say until I’ve played them. Kena and Returnal look awesome but could well be garbage. Godfall looks interesting but could be dog shit. I trust that Demon’s and Miles will be very good but who knows?

Gamernyc78

Banned
However, Uncharted 4 tooks 15-18 hours to beat (according to the aggregate from howlongtobeat.com) while Lost Legacy takes 7 to 8 hours.

Insomniac themselves came forward (which is good that they're being open about it) and said expect a DLC sized campaign, not full game campaign.

Thts irrelevant. There are full sized games no longer than 10 hours depending on play style. Again this game isn't dlc disguised as a game. We don't know all the info but it's disgenous to say it's dlc paraded as a full game and that is my point.

JimiNutz

Banned
Launch is usually always weak.

In defence of both Sony and MS they're both launching with huge IP and it's rare that both Sony and MS launch with such big IP.

mejin

PS5 has solid games coming on launch and the months after launch imo.

I'm pretty excited for Spider, GT7, Returnal, Demons Souls, Ratchet and Horizon.

Way better than PS4 first year.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Thts irrelevant. There are full sized games no longer than 10 hours depending on play style. Again this game isn't dlc disguised as a game. We don't know all the info but it's disgenous to say it's dlc paraded as a full game and that is my point.

Look, I'm willing to admit calling it DLC was rushed. But let me quote the wording

Spider-Man: Miles Morales is like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in terms of scope, creative director Brian Horton said today of the "holiday 2020" PS5 game in a PlayStation Blog post. The Lost Legacy was a superb Uncharted spin-off, but it was shorter than the mainline games. The expectation, then, is Spider-Man: Miles Morales will be a shorter game than its predecessor.

It's not going to be a full game. It's going to be a shorter experience. And it's the creative director at Insomniac saying that. If you want to say that paying 70 bucks for 8 hours of gameplay is OK to you, that's fine, but that's not the standard and Insomniac is aware of it, that's why they're tempering expectations already. You're not getting spiderman 2.

Lost Legacy released at 40$.

Last edited:

WellSheet

It’s funny how this perspective has come about.

PS4/XB1 launch line-ups were, arguably, much more dismal than this first party wise for both consoles.

I actually feel this is the first time in 20 years or so the momentum from current gen quality level is being sustained PLUS we have backwards compatibility.

I think it’s going to take time for us to see truly NEXT GEN games. I think there’s an unreasonable expectation that games are suppose to look 10x better and innovate straight away. It’s just not going to happen. I mean, we argue today about how we’re still being fed the same open-world formula since 2008.

Yes and no. I love the shit out of Insomiac Spider-Man but a 10 hour expansion game is still probably not quite up to the level of marquee launch title, even with some nice enhancements to the engine.

Then again, Infamous Second Son was probably about that long.

I think it's still going to do incredibly well commercially that's what I mean. It's a system selling title

This console launch is actually one of the best ever because both consoles will have BC at launch and will play then releasing multiplats too.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Most console launches are weak. I'm only buying one at launch to play Cyberpunk with enhancements.

Top Bottom