• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone been discriminated for having tattooes?

Worked at a credit union and people had full sleeves and I had a septum piece, no one cared. I'm pretty sure it's a case by case situation though

If I went to my credit union and routinely encountered people who had full sleeve tattoos and body modifications, I would go to a different credit union.

I'm 46. I grew up in a socially conservative environment with actual class distinctions applied to tattoos when I was young. Over the decades I observed directly and indirectly as tremendous softening of the stigma attached. If someone comes in for an interview with a spiderweb tattoo on their neck and a partially disguised swastika, I am going to judge them - and unless I read that they were kidnap-Ed and forcibly tattooed, I'm not hiring them. If a nerd comes for an interview with a Triforce emblem on his arm, I'm ABSOLUTELY going to judge him, but it's not going to have the slightest effect on whether I hire him or not - and if someone comes in with a really nice, expensive and well articulated sleeve, I'll compliment it.

I work in the tech industry. There is no uniform for work. The whole concept of wearing a suit is absolutely ridiculous and akin to costume and dress up. Every justification I've ever heard for suits, ties and pencil skirts is basically some flavor of "tradition" or "because that's the way it is" and has no provable logical bearing beyond the circular, "We don't like it, so we don't like it." Now, I can't argue with the logic that it WILL affect your ability to get certain jobs. And A tattoo of a dick on your forehead would make me think you may not be a tremendously forward thinking individual - even if the dick was pointing stridently or majestically ahead. But a simple arm tattoo? Or a leg tattoo?

We shouldn't give a shit. Grown ass men are deliberately wearing uncomfortable shirts and tying silk ribbons around their necks for no practical reason. And they've desperately tried to keep the costume identical for almost two hundred years.

All that said, I still give certain tattoos sideye because I think they're lame or trashy, but trust me, I do that for cheap suits too.

I respect your opinion. However, suits are not permanently attached to your body, and we don't get whiny threads claiming 'discrimination' because they wore an 'Armanji' suit to an interview.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Septum rings give me an irrational physical reaction. I think that in food service, they're especially disturbing. But I keep that to myself IRL. But if there are three baristas and two don't have metal through their nostrils, I would choose those two.

It's mostly irrational, but you can at least draw the line to why it feels like a hygiene issue, regardless of whether it really is or not.

Diancecht

Depends on the sector I guess. I work in the gaming industry as a journalist and everyone from PR to press, video game makers to corporate suits have tattoos.

danthefan

Why is this the case? Is it a classist issue? Or does the corporate world require a kind of sleek banality where everyone is dressed in navy, black and grey? Does this more simple and common costume allow for people to focus on attaining profit more easily?

Yes it can do actually, if your clients expect you to show up wearing navy, black or grey.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In what possible world is permanently disfiguring your skin something you should not be judged for doing?
Wow... um, ok

Hair dye is temporary -- tattoos are permanent. They are a sign of poor judgement.
Uh, that depends entirely on the tattoo. Someone with a swastika tattoo? Sure. Someone with a harmless drawing or symbol? Who the fuck cares?

Tattoos basically are a billboard that says "I make poor decisions. I am too immature to realize that people and culture change, and am too short sighted to understand that notbody has every said 'cool sagging dolphin tattoo Gramps' and meant it."

How short sighted or immature do you have to be to think that any belief you hold now is fundamental and deep enough to last a lifetime?
The irony, holy shit. Can't make this up.

Tattoos are ugly and should be banned. People should not be allowed to disfigure themselves in this way.

Every justification I've ever heard for suits, ties and pencil skirts is basically some flavor of "tradition" or "because that's the way it is" and has no provable logical bearing beyond the circular, "We don't like it, so we don't like it."
Yup. And god forbid you'd have enough people deciding "this is bullshit", who feel free to get tattoos if they want to, and then contribute to changing the stupid arbitrary culture and decades later, would you look at that, tattoos are already no big deal anymore.

It's already happening. Staunch conservatives like SJurgenson are, as always, on the wrong side of history.

All that said, I still give certain tattoos sideye because I think they're lame or trashy, but trust me, I do that for cheap suits too.
Heh, yeah. Basically, it's fine to judge someone for their poor taste, but saying that the very act of getting a tattoo, no matter what it is, is "bad judgment" is ridiculous. Especially when in the facts, tons of people making six figures have tattoos.

Depending on the tattoos, it could be like wearing an inappropriate shirt to work every day.

To say 'discriminated against because of tattoos' doesn't just make things equal. There's a big difference between one and another.

Rorschach

I just hate pretending like your shitty tattoos look good. I gotta spare your feelings on a lifetime commitment because you didn't do any gat dang research. At least have the decency to not "show them off" and ask me what I think.

god-of-war-kratos-tattoo.jpg
Oh, man that looks so good. Really cool, bro!

Ishan

I imagine it has a gang culture connotations originally . Now it's become much more mainstream and ppl understand it's an expression of self/fashion . However it's possible a rebellious streak is still associated with it ? Dunno . It's very alien to me as I've personally never been interested in or even liked tattoos . Don't think it should matter at all in tech . In pr industries Etc can see how it could be an issue

Ishan

AWj8vZW.jpg

Great, now I'm confused.
He's being sarcastic or stereotyping . I've lost the ability to tell on gaf lol

Edit what difference should it make wether is a credit union or Berkshire ? If from a pr perspective it's an issue I imagine if anything a receptionist / teller will be a bigger issue than a finance hot shot who works behind the scenes etc . As I said I can see it being more of an issue on pr fronts ... But with gaf recently comments are at times from such non nuanced extremes I have no idea what anyone means at times .

13ruce

Banned
Nope never and i have videogame tattoo's.
Just go to a skilled artist, expensive but they will look so awesome nearly no one gives a fuck.

bionic77

I just hate pretending like your shitty tattoos look good. I gotta spare your feelings on a lifetime commitment because you didn't do any gat dang research. At least have the decency to not "show them off" and ask me what I think.

Oh, man that looks so good. Really cool, bro!
A lot of people do have ugly tattoos and think they look awesome. Or the tattoo they get is too big or in a location that doesn't look good.

Hard not to judge them harshly in that moment.

Likewise if someone has a great looking tattoo I will think they probably have good taste.

Jerry

When you are employed, you become a representative for that company.

Often, companies dont want to be represented by people with visible tattoos due to stigma, or pre-judgment.

Theres an underlying argument about work clothes going on here too. Standardising work clothes has the same benefit as school uniforms, it removes the social judgement (good or bad) from the equation.

Admodieus

It's a reflection of an individual's shortsightedness and poor judgement. How many of us can say we enjoy the same things now that we enjoyed ten years ago, or even five years ago? Tastes change, culture changes, people change. What's acceptable or understandable today will not always be that way.

If the job is a customer or client facing role, having tattoos is a huge point against hiring you. Employers want you to be a relatively acceptable, non-threatening face of the company.

There was a flush of tattoo programmes on the television a few years ago. Nowadays programmes about tattooing seem to be about people who want to remove them.

I don't understand tattoos at all. Jewellery, t-shirts and the like exist, so the fact that people want to permanently alter their body just to display some symbol is alarming. All the more so because marks on skin are intrinsically upsetting.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just make them somewhere where you can cover them. Hands, neck and face are a big no go but otherwise people won't care. I work in the office and have my whole rigt arm tatooed up to the wrist. I always wear shirts. People don't even notice most of the time and even when they do, no one says anything negative.

Lombax

Banned
If you want an office job don't get a sleeve or neck tattoos

I have always considered neck a bad idea, but a sleeve can be coved easily with a dress shirt.
We have a gentleman in our office that has face, neck and hand tattoos. I don't even notice them.
I guess those of us who work in the software industry are fortunate to not have to deal with this kind of superficial nonsense on a regular basis.
Honestly any company that would have a problem with tattoos is just not worth my time.
How is it in 2017 we still have not moved passed judgement based on outside appearance?

All that being said, yes in my career I was discriminated against for my tattoos. I was in a meeting with a customer from a foreign country and via their translator I was asked to leave the room. Afterwards that very same person came into my office, explained themselves, and apologized [via a translator].

Wow, some of theses responses are just... wow.

I have mostly full sleeves on both arms and my tattoos are highly visible. I've always worn long sleeves to interviews, and it has never been an issue. I've also made it a point to ask if the principal wants me to keep them covered, and the response has always been that as long as they aren't offensive, it is entirely my choice.

I've never had an adult treat me differently because of my tattoos, and frankly most of the kids think it's great and it actually makes my job easier as a result.

I'm planning to get my very first tattoo in a couple of weeks, and I'm sticking with a calf tattoo to make it easily coverable. There's virtually no time I'm ever in shorts for my job, so it shouldn't be a concern.

Also it's not anything embarrassing or timely, so I can't imagine I'd ever be ashamed to show it or that it would ever put me in any hot water if it were seen.

Honestly, I think one of the bigger things that's contributed to cultural acceptance of tattoos is the prevalence among military members and veterans. There's quite a lot of vets in my corporate community who openly display their tattoos and it never causes any issues.

shira

Face tatts, biker/gang tatts those are going to be problems.

Sleeves/calf depends on your work culture

Wrist, behind the ear, foot are usually acceptble

Well hidden. Nobody knows

kmag

Business rationale for not wanting people with visible tattoos is pretty straightforward. They simply don't want to get into the area of policing the content of those tattoos. It's far easier to have a blanket ban.

Creepy

I have tattoos on my neck, knuckles, hand, arms.

I can't say I've experienced discrimination.
If I have been treated differently as a result of having them then it's been minor enough for me to not notice or care.

AudioNoir

Banned
The hospital I work at maintains a dress code that says an employee can have visible tattoos so long as they don't depict anything gory, sexual, or racist/hateful/etc.

I work in an office here and have never had a problem. One full sleeve and a half sleeve, often uncovered.

I have mostly full sleeves on both arms and my tattoos are highly visible. I've always worn long sleeves to interviews, and it has never been an issue. I've also made it a point to ask if the principal wants me to keep them covered, and the response has always been that as long as they aren't offensive, it is entirely my choice.

I've never had an adult treat me differently because of my tattoos, and frankly most of the kids think it's great and it actually makes my job easier as a result.

Some of the older male patients love my tattoos and end up showing me their faded, homemade tattoos from military days :) It's kind of endearing.

SummitAve

Banned
Depends on the person, the tattoo, and when it is being viewed imo. Quality wise, concept wise, does it hold up over time?, and if the person has some personality to back it up.

Bulby

My parents certainly dont like mine, but they know Im living my own life.

I think anyone who is thinking about getting a tattoo somewhere visible knows that not everyone likes tattoos and might possibly treat you differently because of it.

Your Mum is right. This is just the game we all play at some point. Theres situations you just play by the rules. Dont act indignant, its rarely worth it!

Dr.Phibes

People usually don't tell you that they judge you. But yeah, most kids don't give a shit about stuff like that.

Cyframe

I'm not really interested in tattoo's, so I would never get one. And I would especially tell other African Americans to avoid getting them in very visible places, especially the face. It's already hard enough to be Black applying for a job.

It is discrimination if someone isn't hired because of tattoo's but it's not comparable to race because people are choosing to get them. I've had white people tell me about their tattoo's and try to make a race analogy and I wasn't on board with that. I think it's different than someone coming from an indigenous tribe with tattoo's respective of that. In general, I think white people have a bit more leeway to explain their tattoo's before being judged for them than minorities.

Also, the content of a tattoo can just be inappropriate. Popular tattoo choices can stray into the realm of being cultural appropriative (think dream catcher tattoos) so that could be a barrier as well.

Not really but I've always covered them up(except at the beach) because I know that there is a significant segment of the population who react negatively to them.

Kill3r7

As many have already said, it depends where you work. If it is a suit and tie shop then absolutely not. Otherwise tattoos are mostly okay unless they run afoul of the company's dress code.

It's not like what it used to be, but there are still some customer facing corporate jobs where the company wants to set a certain impression, and they don't want a customer's first impression to be of the tattoos of the salesman or what have you.

Just like how wearing a suit or having a specific haircut or looking a certain way might make a business impression, so do tattoos or anything else, and businesses that want a very strict look -- clean shaven, styled hair, well tailored suit, specific look -- don't want to risk that.

But nowadays there is much more leeway and the corporate world doesn't fit that very strict outline anymore. I think a sleeve is less of a problem than, like, a visible neck tattoo or something because you can just wear a shirt over it in interviews (which you'd probably do anyway). But ultimate it just comes down to a choice for you. Is your interest in expressing yourself in a specific way greater than the possible negative impression that self-expression might carry with it? If so, then get the tattoos. If you're unsure, then maybe take it slow... Start with your upper sleeve and slowly work down, and then who knows maybe you'll feel differently in 3 or 4 years or something.

I'm relieved that I never got a tattoo because anything that was mildly important enough to me 15 or 10 years ago, or even 5, really isn't that important to me anymore. 10 years ago, lots of my friends were getting tattoos and I was feeling into them and thought about getting a cross or celtic cross symbol or something on my chest/breast area, and I thought "this is probably the one thing that I'm fairly certain I'll still believe in in 10, 20 or 30 years..." Well, I don't believe in either of those things anymore and it's not like I had some major divorce with Christianity or anything, but I just don't care about them at all and at the time it was a much bigger part of my life. So even when I get the bug now and think "hmm, maybe I'll get some tattoo," I usually think like, well, I've never really genuinely cared about any topic or thing long enough to justify having it for the rest of my life.

Steejee

It's not like what it used to be, but there are still some customer facing corporate jobs where the company wants to set a certain impression, and they don't want a customer's first impression to be of the tattoos of the salesman or what have you.

Just like how wearing a suit or having a specific haircut or looking a certain way might make a business impression, so do tattoos or anything else, and businesses that want a very strict look -- clean shaven, styled hair, well tailored suit, specific look -- don't want to risk that.

But nowadays there is much more leeway and the corporate world doesn't fit that very strict outline anymore. I think a sleeve is less of a problem than, like, a visible neck tattoo or something because you can just wear a shirt over it in interviews (which you'd probably do anyway). But ultimate it just comes down to a choice for you. Is your interest in expressing yourself in a specific way greater than the possible negative impression that self-expression might carry with it? If so, then get the tattoos. If you're unsure, then maybe take it slow... Start with your upper sleeve and slowly work down, and then who knows maybe you'll feel differently in 3 or 4 years or something.

You basically just said everything I would have said, so I'll just quote you here. I work in software, so it's less of a big deal, but everyone who comes in here on an interview gets judged on everything. How you dress, how you look, etc. Not necessarily to say 'They have ___ so I don't want them here!' but more to say "If they can't be bothered to dress nice/get a hair trim (or at least clean their hair)/wear something to cover their giant MLP arm tattoo, then why do we want them here?". That same person with long shaggy hair, that giant MLP tattoo, and shirts with holes in them is perfectly fine to present like that for regular day to day stuff *after* they're hired, but they damn well better put the effort into presenting themselves appropriately at the interview. So yeah, always-visible tats are a problem in that regard.

I'm relieved that I never got a tattoo because anything that was mildly important enough to me 15 or 10 years ago, or even 5, really isn't that important to me anymore. 10 years ago, lots of my friends were getting tattoos and I was feeling into them and thought about getting a cross or celtic cross symbol or something on my chest/breast area, and I thought "this is probably the one thing that I'm fairly certain I'll still believe in in 10, 20 or 30 years..." Well, I don't believe in either of those things anymore and it's not like I had some major divorce with Christianity or anything, but I just don't care about them at all and at the time it was a much bigger part of my life. So even when I get the bug now and think "hmm, maybe I'll get some tattoo," I usually think like, well, I've never really genuinely cared about any topic or thing long enough to justify having it for the rest of my life.

I have the same perspective, so I don't have any tattoos, but there is an alternate way of seeing those tattoos that aren't really you anymore - they're your history. Like that shitty tattoo on your calf you got in a drunken binge 15 years ago has a story and experiences around it. So even if it's garbage, and you would never get it now, it does have a history and a relevance to your life story.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Are people gaslighting in this thread or something?

I get that tattoos are being slowly but surely "taken back" as it were, but everyone knows the historical associations involved here.

Top Bottom