• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone been discriminated for having tattooes?

Teletraan1

Banned
I think the no tattoo stigma stems from you representing the company you work for while in the building and often outside of it and some people have some really ugly tattoos with some questionable imagery that might push this to the limit so rather than evaluating things on a case by case basis they are just generally frowned upon. Business that rely on clients this can also be an issue since you never know if someone's tat that they thought looked badass is actually offensive to someone else. At one place I worked they made point of asking people to cover tats during client visits just to avoid such situations.

Personally when I see someone with a bunch of randomly placed tattoos that look rather garish I have to question their decision making skills. I used to live in a low income type of town and everyone had random skulls and crosses all over them, $1000s of dollars of tattoos yet nobody has two nickels to rub together.

Tangentially I would be hesitant about putting any sort of symbol on my body in the current climate. With the way White Supremacists and other hate groups are coopting so many things you wouldn't want that symbol you just inked onto your body to fall victim to this.

All the more so because marks on skin are intrinsically upsetting.

I view blank skin the same way as I view a blank wall. it's just boring , I don't want to walk everywhere and see blank walls everywhere I go. that's cool if you want your house blank, i want visual stimulation. that's more upsetting to me than seeing bad tattoos; you can't even tell what tattoos are 95% of the time you're in sight of a person anyway, people really overrate how awful it must be to have a bad one. spoiler: no one cares and you people who do are weird.

Faiz

Meanwhile vet techs seems to have full sleeves as a job requirement.

And to be clear I have no problem with this.

Greedings

Tattoos are so vanilla now. I feel like I'm being rebellious by not having one, practically everyone my age has a shitty tattoo.

hotcyder

OP: Depends what field you're going into - anything old money and white collar is probably going to be less approving, while anywhere more modern and liberal will probably be whatever on it.

Some people might see it as a sign of being unqualified for the job - but if your resume and interview skills are bang up to course that shouldn't matter.

How come hospitals/clinics are more accepting about tattoos than a corporation? I know quite a few paramedics, and all of them have a tattoo of some kind.

They are professionals, and really good at what they do. They deal with all kinds of people of different social classes. AFAIK none of them have gotten flak about it.

Edit: Ok, I see where this thread is going. Lots of shitty opinions here.

Tangentially I would be hesitant about putting any sort of symbol on my body in the current climate. With the way White Supremacists and other hate groups are coopting so many things you wouldn't want that symbol you just inked onto your body to fall victim to this.

This has honestly been my biggest worry about getting a tattoo (though ultimately I think I'll go through with it) - the fear that I might be putting something on my body that could be misinterpreted as something heinous without realizing it.

So I'm trying to work on a design that couldn't possibly be interpreted as such and stands a low likelihood of becoming co-opted as something gross in the future.

But it's hard and kind of scary.

Let me try and clarify my position on tattoos...

As a base matter (applying ink to skin by choice), I suppose that I am not strictly against tattoos. I am not bothered by the physical act of being tattooed.

What I am against is the common perception that "it's just a tattoo, no big deal!" I cannot believe this has to be said again and again in this thread:

Tattoos are permanent. All those women who purchased blouses with shoulder pads just don't wear those blouses any more. Everyone who bought those shutter sunglasses just leave them in their junk drawer.

DCQo-njXkAAURfb.jpg

This dude who got a Lawbreakers tattoo (current player count: 109) is stuck with his stupid decision forever. He has to wear long-sleeve shirts professionally until the day he dies because he got on the hype train for Lazily Made Competitive Hero Shooter Number 57163.

Straight up: What the fuck? That dude made a life decision that was clearly quite poor just 3 months after he got it. Obviously, I can find bad tattoos easily -- but it's not just a problem with objectively-bad tattoos.

I Googled 'Popular tattoos 2017', and these are a couple of the top results that I think look cool:

In the current culture of 2017, I think those look really cool. But guess what? They won't look cool in 2027 or 2037.

Here's a site that was listing popular tattoo styles in 2007. Looking at the sample images there, I think it's clear that all those look lame and clearly out of style in 2017.

Think about this: If you had gotten a stylish tattoo in 1997, what would it be? A Titanic quote? "Florida Marlins 2007 World Series Champions"?

That's my problem with tattoos and those that get them: The flippancy and short-sightedness of people that don't realize the permanence of tattoos and what that says about their decision making.

And before anyone says, "but tattoos can be removed" -- sure, but the cost of removal is far higher than the cost to get one.
A sleeve tattoo costs about $1500:
A full sleeve tattoo could take over 15 hours, and most good tattoo artists will charge $100-$150 an hour...which means you're looking at about $1,500 minimum.

Removing that tattoo could cost $12,000 to $16,000:
Q-Switched Technology
Q-Switched technology is the most common type of laser used today. The average amount of treatments needed is anywhere from 10-15 treatments for full removal and can cost anywhere from $50 to $800 per treatment.

Picosecond technology
Picosecond technology breaks the ink into smaller particles than nanosecond technology. The average number of treatments it takes to fully remove a tattoo with this technology is from 4-8. Treatments range in cost from $200 to $2000 per treatment.

That is my base philosophical issue with tattoos: I doubt 90% of the people who get tattoos took their decision appropriately seriously considering the permanence of tattoos. It's not something to be proud of. It just says that you are too immature to realize that society, culture, and you change all the time -- and that your 2027 self will hold different ideas and beliefs as you do now.

HeySeuss

It's a case by case basis on workplaces allowing tattoos but I would definitely err on the side of caution. The courts have ruled that they don't consider it discrimination to not hire someone because of tattoos, but it hasn't been tested in about 15 years or so.

Basically, do your homework before going to that interview.

I'm an engineer for a financial institution you've heard of. When I was hired, one of the engineers I onboarded with had a tattoo on his face.

To be fair, IT/Engineers kind of get away with whatever the fuck we want because people already think we're weirdos and no one sees us anyway.

As a base matter (applying ink to skin by choice), I suppose that I am not strictly against tattoos. I am not bothered by the physical act of being tattooed.

What I am against is the common perception that "it's just a tattoo, no big deal!" I cannot believe this has to be said again and again in this thread:

Tattoos are permanent.

Oh my god. Stop it.
These people know tattoos are permanent. Anyone who has ever gotten a tattoo is told it's permanent. These tattoo's are a reflection of their personality and the things they love. They don't care if their skin gets old and saggy with weird looking tattoos. I certainly don't. Let people make their own choices on tattoos, no one cares if their tattoo from 20 years ago is not representative of them now. Stop circulating old fashioned views on body art and self expression.
Move on.

facelike

To clarify, the tattoo I'm planning on getting is the one from The Fountain:
59cd90bb610b1ec8c3aa90e4b5741491.jpg

It's a movie that means a lot to me, that has helped me through a lot of anxiety and depression, and the motif just calms me and reminds me not to fear life or death.

Very cool. But that doesn't change the stigma tattoos have, in particular the States (assuming here). If your field is a creative one or you plan on staying in an artistic field, you'll be fine. But if life tosses you a curve ball and you need a job out of that field, that's when you could have an issue.

I keep hoping the stigma goes away but that won't happen anytime soon.

Side note, discrimination was the correct term to use.

eagledare

Funny how OP has requested feedback from people with tattoos on whether they've been discriminated against and we still have a deluge of "here's muh opinon on why tattoos suck" posts. If you don't like them, fine, but stay out of threads where the OP is specifically requesting feedback from people that have them.

OP, I'd avoid showing tattoos during interviews if possible. During the interview process you can feel out the company to determine if you're going to be working with a bunch of stiffs who will doubt your qualifications because you have some rad ink.

I have sleeves, love them, and show them during company events outside business hours, but typically keep them covered when in the office due to frequent meetings with clients. All feedback on my tattoos has been positive to this day, and I routinely get compliments from total strangers on them. I also get compliments from co-workers during company events, including company investors. I also know executives in huge companies with visible tattoos, one with a neck tattoo.

No one gives a shit if you're capable, you don't flaunt them in an obnoxious way, and you're not working for an ass-backwards company with a 1950's mentality.

Edit: typos

Oh my god. Stop it.
These people know tattoos are permanent. Anyone who has ever gotten a tattoo is told it's permanent. These tattoo's are a reflection of their personality and the things they love. They don't care if their skin gets old and saggy with weird looking tattoos. I certainly don't. Let people make their own choices on tattoos, no one cares if their tattoo from 20 years ago is not representative of them now. Stop circulating old fashioned views on body art and self expression.
Move on.

"...no one cares if their tattoo from 20 years ago is not representative of them now."

Tattoo removal seems to be a booming business, so obviously someone regrets their tattoos from 20 years ago.

I'm currently a composer and sound designer freelance, so I don't think I'll ever be discriminated against work-wise. But my mom definitely hates my two tattoos. I have one on my upper arm/shoulder of a Knight from Dark Souls. Then on my left forearm I have a band that goes all the way around like a bracelet that's my daughter's name. Oh well... my wife thinks they're hot :)

I don't think any of those two things will ever become offensive symbols... but who knows. I'm absolutely not worried about them though. Even when I did have a regular office job, the one I did have back then (the knight) wasn't a problem. I think I was lucky though, because I had pretty laid back jobs in small companies. I think around here where I live, in Oklahoma, there are probably plenty of old school business owners who wouldn't hire people with tattoos.

It really depends upon the company you work at. None of our client facing employees have any visible tattoos. However, quite a few of our developers have numerous visible tattoos and no one cares. One of our best devs has facial piercings as well. For context, I work in finance and that's as conservative as it gets.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I swear Toronto has to be the most tattooed city on the planet, at least that I've ever spent more than a few days in.

EVERYONE here has a tattoo of some kind. Doesn't matter where you work or what you do, from baristas with cute little wrist tattoos to cops with full sleeves and everything in between. I have a Baphomet half-sleeve on one arm and basically wear nothing but tank tops all summer and I've never once had anyone say anything or even give me a second glance. This includes people of all religious and cultural backgrounds.

I cannot believe some of the opinions I'm reading in here. My late, super Catholic grandmother was more accepting of what is now an incredibly common feature on nearly every person than some of the posters in this thread. What fucking era are you from that you hold such outdated opinions? Half of y'all posting "tattoos are unprofessional" have literally no actual argument as to why you think so. "That's just the way it is," well, why? Equating it to showing up in a greasy ripped t-shirt? How?

It's so strange to me.

I'm in agreement with most posters that face and neck tattoos are going a bit far, but my god the hollow judgement going on in here is staggering.

they are seen as unprofessional and yeah low class, it's a social stigma.

things will probably change as people from current generations move to the top and change company cultures. but as of now most companies are ran by conservative old people. Especially in sectors like finance

There is also the fact that, if you are client-facing, the company has to consider the attitude of the client.

Funny how OP has requested feedback from people with tattoos on whether they've been discriminated against and we still have a deluge of "here's muh opinon on why tattoos suck" posts. If you don't like them, fine, but stay out of threads where the OP is specifically requesting feedback from people that have them.

OP asked if having tattoos are seen as a social stigma. It's been 8 pages discussing how society views tattoos, and how the potential lifetime cost of them (I believe) outweighs their benefit.

OP asked if people in society view tattoos negatively. I do. Telling OP to make a permanent, lifetime decision because something 'looks cool' or 'feels right' without considering the important issues is disgustingly flippant and short-sighted.

You don't get to decide how society views tattoos. You cannot just wave away the serious costs and stigmas of tattoos because you think they 'look cool'. If you choose to ignore all that and get a tattoo, I don't have any pity for you when you whine about being 'discriminated' against.

Switch Back 9

OP asked if people in society view tattoos negatively. I do. Telling OP to make a permanent, lifetime decision because something 'looks cool' or 'feels right' without considering the important issues is disgustingly flippant and short-sighted.

Why though? Why does it bother you so much that you use words like "disgustingly"? What "important issues" are you even talking about? Someone isn't going to be good at their job because they have a tattoo? How does it affect you at all and how can you possibly make such a grand sweeping judgement on someone's entire personality based on this? It's incredibly ignorant and incredibly judgmental.

edit: Where are you from and in what industry do you work? (if you don't mind me asking)

I'm currently a composer and sound designer freelance, so I don't think I'll ever be discriminated against work-wise. But my mom definitely hates my two tattoos. I have one on my upper arm/shoulder of a Knight from Dark Souls. Then on my left forearm I have a band that goes all the way around like a bracelet that's my daughter's name. Oh well... my wife thinks they're hot :)

...You harmed your relationship with your mother over a tattoo of a video game character from 2011? What the fuck? Do you seriously believe you will be OK with that decision when you are 80?

That tattoo looks like "I was bored and had a pen and paper."

What possible message does that tattoo send out for the rest of your life, that is worth the cost?

That is my base philosophical issue with tattoos: I doubt 90% of the people who get tattoos took their decision appropriately seriously considering the permanence of tattoos. It's not something to be proud of. It just says that you are too immature to realize that society, culture, and you change all the time -- and that your 2027 self will hold different ideas and beliefs as you do now.

I thought about getting a tattoo in my 20s, but feared that I would be sick of what would have been my choice when I got older.

So 25+ years on I realized I would still want the same thing. So I got my first tattoo, of that same image, in my middle age.

Who cares what *other* people do, if you're smart about your own choice?

PS: The tat is of Ignatz Mouse and Krazy Kat, of course.

Why though? Why does it bother you so much that you use words like "disgustingly"? How does it affect you at all and how can you possibly make such a grand sweeping judgement on someone's entire personality based on this? It's incredibly ignorant and incredibly judgmental.

People here are literally telling others to permanently disfigure their bodies while flippantly downplaying the long term costs of that disfigurement. How the fuck is that not disgusting?

Switch Back 9

People here are literally telling others to permanently disfigure their bodies while considering noting about the long term costs of that disfigurement. How the fuck is that not disgusting?

Disfigure!? Seriously? What happened that made you hate tattoos with such passion and vitriol? I don't understand why it bothers you so much. What "long term" costs are you even talking about?

...You harmed your relationship with your mother over a tattoo of a video game character from 2011? What the fuck? Do you seriously believe you will be OK with that decision when you are 80?

If you think any 80-year-old is sitting around going "boy I sure wish I didn't get that tattoo" then you are beyond arguing with.

... you read WAY too much into that. She just doesn't like tattoos, and she doesn't think they're cool like I do or my wife does. It's just an old-fashioned opinion that she holds on to.

Our relationship is fine. We talk all the time, we do family lunches, she babysits for me, we still do the normal family stuff. Jesus dude, lol.

Edit: I'm getting serious joke/troll post vibes from this guy.

13ruce

Banned

Tattoos are permanent. All those women who purchased blouses with shoulder pads just don't wear those blouses any more. Everyone who bought those shutter sunglasses just leave them in their junk drawer.

This dude who got a Lawbreakers tattoo (current player count: 109) is stuck with his stupid decision forever. He has to wear long-sleeve shirts professionally until the day he dies because he got on the hype train for Lazily Made Competitive Hero Shooter Number 57163.

Straight up: What the fuck? That dude made a life decision that was clearly quite poor just 3 months after he got it. Obviously, I can find bad tattoos easily -- but it's not just a problem with objectively-bad tattoos.

I Googled 'Popular tattoos 2017', and these are a couple of the top results that I think look cool:

In the current culture of 2017, I think those look really cool. But guess what? They won't look cool in 2027 or 2037.

Here's a site that was listing popular tattoo styles in 2007. Looking at the sample images there, I think it's clear that all those look lame and clearly out of style in 2017.

Think about this: If you had gotten a stylish tattoo in 1997, what would it be? A Titanic quote? "Florida Marlins 2007 World Series Champions"?

That's my problem with tattoos and those that get them: The flippancy and short-sightedness of people that don't realize the permanence of tattoos and what that says about their decision making.

And before anyone says, "but tattoos can be removed" -- sure, but the cost of removal is far higher than the cost to get one.
A sleeve tattoo costs about $1500:

Removing that tattoo could cost $12,000 to $16,000:

I have Imp Midna and Wolf Link and Getting Squid Sisters (my ava) and Marina (also Splatoon) + Midna's human from (Zelda). But honestly if someone gets a videogame tattoo go to a very good artist ask his/her opinion on the design you show and also ask friends, family etc.

I got and get em because it really matters to me not because hey look how cool they are altho i admit they are done very neatly it's expensive tho lol. The games helped me through tough situations or that i have awesome memories playing em with my best friends in my teenage/kid years. So even 20 years later i would still like those characters that's why i did not get/going to get logo's or a simple triforce tattoo.

People should really think atleast a while about it and ask for opinions from people irl before going through after these i will quit and call it a day and they will be all on places no one sees when i am fully clothed.

Anyway i agree with your post the media or game people get a tattoo should have had atleast a big impact on them and not just because look how cool lol. Because even years later that tattoo can matter to em but that lawbreaker tatttooo well.... Yeah 100% agreed.

Those 2017 stuff you posted looks awesome btw:p
https://imgur.com/YDAnLDZ here is one of mine (imp midna). Don't mind my pale skin lol. I never had people give me strange looks actually i get compliments from even the "mainstream" altho i luckily don't look like a "total nerd" from the outside (inside i am one tho):p

labx

Banned
Yes all the time. I have to professions. The first one being a cook (not a problem having tattoos) the second one being a clinical psychologist is a dread having tattoos.

eagledare

OP asked if having tattoos are seen as a social stigma. It's been 8 pages discussing how society views tattoos, and how the potential lifetime cost of them (I believe) outweighs their benefit.

You don't get to decide how society views tattoos. You cannot just wave away the serious costs and stigmas of tattoos because you think they 'look cool'. If you choose to ignore all that and get a tattoo, I don't have any pity for you when you whine about being 'discriminated' against.

Not sure how you extrapolated that I get to decide how society views tattoos, I never claimed to, but cool straw man.

I also believe it's naive on your part to assume that everyone who gets a tattoo hasn't considered the ramifications, or that their reasons are simply 'it looks cool'. Everyone I know with tattoos considered the ramifications and made a conscious decision to accept whatever consequences came from that decision, knowing that most people worth spending time around aren't going to judge them harshly for that form of self-expression.

People here are literally telling others to permanently disfigure their bodies while considering noting about the long term costs of that disfigurement. How the fuck is that not disgusting?

why do you think everyone is considering nothing? you said yourself the lawbreakers dude can wear sleeves and cover it up anytime it matters. if anything the fact that you brought up the popularity of the game shows your thoughts on the matter; I don't think the concurrent steam players had anything to do with the fact that that guy wanted that symbol on him forever. it means something important to him and always will. it will always mean nothing to you no matter if it was 'based on a game' or not. I think he weighed the pros and cons pretty well. 99.99% of the population would have no idea that's from a game, it's just some symbol the dude resonates with. if he can't get a job because of that, then he's got much bigger problems to deal with than getting a coverup, he'll need to acquire skills that impress people. which is the same story whether you have a bad/good/or no tattoo.

EYEL1NER

Business rationale for not wanting people with visible tattoos is pretty straightforward. They simply don't want to get into the area of policing the content of those tattoos. It's far easier to have a blanket ban.
It's the only reason that is sound to me. I can't find any fault with that, unlike all of the other reasons which usually boil down to "Well, I need SOMEONE to look down on."

People here are literally telling others to permanently disfigure their bodies while flippantly downplaying the long term costs of that disfigurement. How the fuck is that not disgusting?

Err, because generally people are assumed to have agency over their bodies when it doesn't involve grievous amounts of self harm or mutiliaton? Using strong words like disgusting or disfigure is pretty offensive.

People can make their own life choices. People have made this choice in a world increasingly ok with it, and they're letting the OP know. It's not like most people are saying be completely cavalier with it; they've noted potential difficulties that one could face with tattoos. They've also mentioned ways to circumvent these issues.

Yeah, they might face issues down the road, and it might be easier if they just didn't do it. But if a person wants a tattoo, if they enjoy it or see it as a passionate way of self-expression? Then that's them. It's their body, their life.

That doesn't mean you can't form opinons on that choice; whether positive or negative, people will, it's inevitable. You certainly have made one. But there's no reason for such vitriolic language. It's just tattoos. Lots of people have them. Lots of people like them. Some people don't, but again, that's not some insurmountable obstacle, just another thing to consider before making a choice.

I work in construction management. Most than half our workforce is field staff and all have tattoos. Even in an industry with Tattoos as ubiquitous as they are, the people in the office cover them if they have them.

When the baby boomers stop holding upper management positions, things will change. They already have some. Just not enough.

The funny thing to me, is that a professional life shouldn't stop someone from getting Tattoos. Just not fucking sleeves and neck tattoos.

I also believe it's naive on your part to assume that everyone who gets a tattoo hasn't considered the ramifications, or that their reasons are simply 'it looks cool'. Everyone I know with tattoos considered the ramifications and made a conscious decision to accept whatever consequences came from that decision, knowing that most people worth spending time around aren't going to judge them harshly for that form of self-expression.

I highly doubt this is accurate. According to multiple sources one of the largest growing sectors in plastic surgery is tattoo removal. If people thought about the ramifications of tattoos, they wouldn't be removing them.

1% of the tattoos actually look nice and they seem to fit the style of the person. The rest look like bad ink smudges. The odds are against you.

bosseye

Tattoos are a very personal thing, it's very hard to say "Your tattoo looks awful, you'll regret it when you're 80" when for all you know Lawbreakers logo might mean a lot to that guy and he smiles everytime he sees it.

I don't have any tattoos mind. An obvious one would that I've got kids, but I've never felt the urge to put their names or birthdays in a tattoo.

eagledare

I highly doubt this is accurate. According to multiple sources one of the largest growing sectors in plastic surgery is tattoo removal. If people thought about the ramifications of tattoos, they wouldn't be removing them.

You highly doubt that my friends with tattoos did their research and carefully considered those choices beforehand? Interesting, considering I probably spend more time with them than you do.

Tattoo removal is up because the tech is rapidly improving, and obviously there will always be a steady stream of people who get tattoos they regret. I think we all agree that people should carefully consider their tattoo choices (remember cheap tattoos aren't good and good tattoos aren't cheap). My point is you shouldn't assume every tattoo is an ill-considered impulse buy.

1% of the tattoos actually look nice and they seem to fit the style of the person. The rest look like bad ink smudges. The odds are against you.

I kinda think is might be an issue with tattoo regret.

The tattoo I'm getting in a couple weeks is entirely designed by me. I mocked it up in Adobe Illustrator myself and it's entirely a reflection of my artistic tastes and style. I've provided the tattoo artist a very detailed file of the design and she's said she's down with it.

Obviously not everyone has the ability or resources to design their own tattoos themselves and must rely entirely on the talents of the tattoo artist, but I kinda feel safe in my decision because it's something that I've designed myself. I just need the artist to follow the design I've given her, which I'm confident she'll do, based on her past work.

If one is not particularly involved in the process and just walks in and goes, "Give me this," I could see a pretty high chance of buyer's remorse.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No need, you've made your position more than clear already.

Sure as shit seems like you are, when you keep using words like "disfiguring" and "disgusting" to refer to them.

but it's not just a problem with objectively-bad tattoos.

[...]
Yes, there are bad tattoos out there, and there are regret-tattoos too.

But I dare say the majority of people, or at least, a significant portion of people, getting tattoos have thought long and hard about what they want, they sure as shit KNOW it's permanent (lol @ "people don't realize the permanence", of course they do, holy shit... they just disagree with you on the worth of them), they either get something that will be timeless FOR THEM or don't care if it becomes "dated" because they aren't getting tattoos to be "trendy".

You are attributing motives to people who get tattoos based on nothing more than your projected prejudices. It's transparent, and kind of pathetic.

...You harmed your relationship with your mother over a tattoo of a video game character from 2011? What the fuck?
Where on Earth are you getting this from? "My mom doesn't like my tattoo" = "my relationship with my mom is damaged"?

You seem like you have serious issues, dude. Because that is an insane interpretation of what this poster wrote.

Do you seriously believe you will be OK with that decision when you are 80?
LOL @ the idea that an 80-year-old will give a shit about tattoos they got decades earlier. My god

Hint: to them, it's not a "disfigurement". It's art as a part of their bodies that they enjoy and care about.

You seem absolutely incapable of understanding that. Hell, I don't want tattoos myself, but I can at least see the appeal, or understand cognitively why they are appealing to people. It really seems like you strongly lack empathy.

Edit: Worse, you seem to apply your ill-founded prejudice not just on the act of getting a tattoo itself, but on the person's core personality and their suitability for employment (or for working at a credit service you might use, even). That's beyond prejudiced. And to think, I thought I was judgmental...

eagledare

LOL @ the idea that an 80-year-old will give a shit about tattoos they got decades earlier. My god

Yeah, this one always kills me.

"Bu-bu-bu your tattoos will look like shit at 80!"

All of me will look like shit at 80. And the last thing I'll give a fuck about at that point is my tattoos, assuming I live that long.

OP! I have said this before and I will say it again. The only person that needs to be OK with you getting a tattoo is you! You're the one who lives with it for the rest of your life and y'know what? Chances are you're the one who's going to either love it the most or hate it the most. On top of that, chances are most people won't like it anyway. So take a while to think, consider and research, and if its something you really want, then there will not be a moment when you regret it. Take it from this guy, who has a big fucking wolf scrawled on his right forearm.

EDIT: In regards to getting a job with a tattoo, mine is on show almost the whole time I'm working and, sorry for the lack of modesty, I have a damn good job. No one cares.

I kinda think is might be an issue with tattoo regret.

The tattoo I'm getting in a couple weeks is entirely designed by me. I mocked it up in Adobe Illustrator myself and it's entirely a reflection of my artistic tastes and style. I've provided the tattoo artist a very detailed file of the design and she's said she's down with it.

Obviously not everyone has the ability or resources to design their own tattoos themselves and must rely entirely on the talents of the tattoo artist, but I kinda feel safe in my decision because it's something that I've designed myself. I just need the artist to follow the design I've given her, which I'm confident she'll do, based on her past work.

If one is not particularly involved in the process and just walks in and goes, "Give me this," I could see a pretty high chance of buyer's remorse.
that is just one way of thinking though. every tattoo is different. personally I prefer to give my artist as much freedom as possible, because I'm going to them specifically to get tattooed because I respect their portfolio as a whole and it reflects where I wanted my tattoos to go. shit one of my tattoos was completely made out of the blue in sharpie on my skin then tatted over right, based off of inspiration I gave the artist. just came out from what was in his head, and that's what makes it awesome, imo. I wanted a completely original piece out of the guy's head, with inspiration given. I'm paying this dude a shitton of money, and it's because I want his artistic touch, not because I want a carbon copy of something else.

but my point is people don't 'think less about their tattoo' just because they didn't mull the decision for 20 years before biting the bullet and getting it.

My own experience with hiring managers in the US is that yes, many of them are old school and would be less inclined to hire someone with visible tattoos. And no, of course they would not tell you that is the reason, it would be very difficult to prove.

There are industries though, where tattoos are the norm and you would be fine. But you could be cutting yourself off from some companies owned by some old conservative guy or clean cut corporate environments. I have plenty of tattooed friends who have never had an issue with employment. Know your industry I guess.

I also witnessed people filter out resumes based on ethnic sounding names, or by addresses where many minorities lived. It would be very hard for anyone to prove discrimination.

Top Bottom