• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

Toni

There's 2 new vehicles in the footage. A straight up tank and something that looked somewhat like a yellow APC. So there's definitely new vehicles.

How they are implemented remains to be seen. I just hope they aren't restricted to specific sections in missions or strikes.

This is Bungie. They will play it safe and implement the same infrastructure depite being in development for 3 years and people will say its because they are remaining true to the philosophy of Destiny.

Bookmark me, please.

vgqH2ij.gif

Is anyone compiling a list of changes and additions to D2? There is so much footage floating around that I don't really want to watch all of it just to find something cool. Guess I could check reddit.

You literally replied to someone who said they were putting you on ignore. I'm fairly certain you should do some self-reflection as well.

Forums aren't one on one discussions. I wasn't talking directly to him specifically, I was commenting.

blakep267

Yeah but then again maybe I'm just being unreasonable. It's Destiny. I played he first one. Had a lot of gripes about it, but maybe the game just isn't for me and I'm not being reasonable expecting the changes that I want. If your a fan of he game then this is probably what you want

CJY

Banned
Seems like a reveal aimed at fans.

For someone on the outside, it's fairly easy for me to write off the game based on what was shown (or wasn't).

This. I cannot see Destiny 2 being bigger than D1 by bringing in many new players. It's more likely that new players will be balanced by loss of players.

Destiny really didn't seem to be a game that needed a sequel. Look at WoW, they kept expanding that for over a decade right?

Zakalwe

Banned
This. I cannot see Destiny 2 being bigger than D1 by bringing in many new players. It's more likely that new players will be balanced by loss of players.

Destiny really didn't seem to be a game that needed a sequel. Look at WoW, they kept expanding that for over a decade right?

It needed a massive overhaul as the engine was extremely limited (read up on it) and the entire thing was hamstrung by the link to last gen.

They needed to reboot the entire thing for current consoles, and it was always gong to be very similar to D1 because the only thing that needed fixing was amount of content and functionality. A sequel was necessary or they wouldn't have done it. It goes against their original plan entirely, but they realised it was necessary.

It's going to be huge, it'll sell far more than D1.

Sorral

Probably already mentioned a lot but anyways: Very disappointed in PvP becoming 4vs4.

In addition to that, it is still 30FPS PvP without AI, NPCs, etc.

I'm very conflicted on the game overall, so I will probably know when I get the beta, but I used to defend D1's for the "satisfying gameplay and playing with friends" until I saw how they treated us in the first two expansions, backward areas, tiny missions, crap endings, horrible weapons balancing between PvP and PvE, micro transactions later, list goes on.

Zakalwe

Banned
Probably already mentioned a lot but anyways: Very disappointed in PvP becoming 4vs4.

In addition to that, it is still 30FPS PvP without AI, NPCs, etc.

I'm very conflicted on the game overall, so I will probably know when I get the beta, but I used to defend D1's for the "satisfying gameplay and playing with friends" until I saw how they treated us in the first two expansions, backward areas, tiny missions, crap endings, horrible weapons balancing between PvP and PvE, micro transactions later, list goes on.

What's wrong with Destiny MTs? They're purely cosmetic or have very low impact on gameplay, right?

I never felt obligated to buy any of it for the entire time I played since beta.

Extremely.

One new raid...ONE..REALLYYYY (unless I heard wrong)

Destiny 2 is gonna me a mindless grind fest like 1 it seems..Doing the same raid on your 3 characters to get high end gear....YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN...

I'm sure the MP will be fun, but unless I win it from a contest, I won't buy it.The people I played destiny 1 with (10+) only one of them are getting the game(He's got like 2k hrs into destiny 1 aka a super fan,lol).

All my other friends have moved on to Battlegrounds,RB6 & H1Z1 for there MP/shooter fixes and seems I'm going to do the same for now as battlegrounds best MP you can play IMO.

Zakalwe

Banned
Extremely.

One new raid...ONE..REALLYYYY (unless I heard wrong)

Destiny 2 is gonna me a mindless grind fest like 1 it seems..Doing the same raid on your 3 characters to get high end gear....YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN...

I'm sure the MP will be fun, but unless I win it from a contest, I won't buy it.The people I played destiny 1 with (10+) only one of them are getting the game(He's got like 2k hrs into destiny 1 aka a super fan,lol).

All my other friends have moved on to Battlegrounds,RB6 & H1Z1 for there MP/shooter fixes and seems I'm going to do the same for now as battlegrounds best MP you can play IMO.

How does one raid mean anything when we don't know exactly how much other content there will be.

If the game is content rich a single raid will be fine at launch, especially knowing we're definitely getting more in the future.

I'm disappointed because all the leaks pointed to this being a diablo 1 -> diablo 2 evolution, with the game becoming so much bigger and even structured differently despite the obvious similarities.

And instead they showed something that seems like a brand new map pack of the first one with the difference is that those new maps are no longer compatible with the previous ones.

In other words, it doesn't feel like an evolution, it feels like it's just more new content.

I think WoW comparisons, to anything, aren't fair. WoW came out in a different era where MMOs actually succeeded, where the critics and journalism around games weren't nearly as popular, and where people who played games didn't care as much about things like frame rate and graphical advances. I think in a world where WoW came out for the first time in 2014, the game would have either been much less successful or a very different game entirely.

How does one raid mean anything when we don't know exactly how much other content there will be.

If the game is content rich a single raid will be fine at launch, especially knowing we're definitely getting more in the future.

The game really should launch with 3 raids..It's going to be tedious and boring doing the same raid over and over and over on all 3 or just 1 of your characters.Hopefully there's other ways to get high level gear without having to do raids.I got bored after a month doing the raids in destiny 1 it was just the same thing over and over just to get RNG loot.I Guess will see though how good the SP is.

Can't speak for everyone obviously, but Bungie lost the benefit of the doubt with destiny 1. They launched the game so devoid of content that was quite a departure from the content rich Halos they used to make.

Sorral

What's wrong with Destiny MTs? They're purely cosmetic or have very low impact on gameplay, right?

I never felt obligated to buy any of it for the entire time I played since beta.

It is a fully priced game with expansions that were $15 each at minimum with recycled content. Regardless of what kind of micro transactions they were, that's a terrible business practice in the industry and yes, I know they are not the only one to do this.

Nope. Looks great. Of course, I have over 1200 hours logged into the first game, so it could have been Destiny Cart Racing and I'd buy it.

Zakalwe

Banned
The game really should launch with 3 raids..It's going to be tedious and boring doing the same raid over and over and over on all 3 or just 1 of your characters.Hopefully there's other ways to get high level gear without having to do raids.I got bored after a month doing the raids in destiny 1 it was just the same thing over and over just to get RNG loot.I Guess will see though how good the SP is.

No, there is no arbitrary "should" when it comes to these things.

The context of the entire game is what matters. A single raid might be more than enough at launch if the game is content rich.

Can't speak for everyone obviously, but Bungie lost the benefit of the doubt with destiny 1. They launched the game so devoid of content that was quite a departure from the content rich Halos they used to make.

And they regained it for many with TTK.

If we're being fair, we need to consider that too.

It is a fully priced game with expansions that were $15 each at minimum with recycled content. Regardless of what kind of micro transactions they were, that's a terrible business practice in the industry and yes, I know they are not the only one to do this.

No it's not... cosmetic optional MTs are absolutely fine. Ignore them, you don't need them.

If the game were content starved like it was at launch you might have a point, but since TTK that's not been the case.

Tomeru

This thread is for people who didn't like destiny anyway and/or, for some reason, expected a not destiny game. Jut wait for more info and wait for beta impressions. Give it a chance finally.

I wasn't disappointed at all. I am in fact extra hyped. New places, new enemies, new fucking loot, new class skills, better graphics, many qol features that were missing. Only thing missing is 60, but you know what - I aint even mad.

Sorral

No it's not... cosmetic optional MTs are absolutely fine. Ignore them, you don't need them.

If the game were content starved like it was at launch you might have a point, but since TTK that's not been the case.

Game was content starved for the amount of money they were asking for. Actually, the individual expansions were $20 each for a laughable amount of content especially since the MP maps became available to everyone later. Add in the fact that TTK was $40 ($30? for the digital upgrade) while they did nothing for who previously owned the first two expansions. This is not even counting the fact that they had another collector's edition and another $20 for a few cosmetics if you didn't buy the collector's edition.

I ignored the MTs but that doesn't mean that everyone else did. They are a massive cash grab and Jim Sterling touched on this really well in one of his episodes.

Excuse me for not wanting to defend them and to be skeptical of Destiny 2 as a result.

I'm a bit disappointed in the "Fuck you no dedicated servers" and "Fuck you PC you can play with your nuts on launch day because you're not going to be playing our game".

Also, the only one raid thing is a bit disappointing. I wanted them to launch with two just to prove that they have their content pipeline sorted out.

I mean it entirely depends on the length and complexity of the raid. If there's like 9 bosses and puzzles or challenging encounters between bosses the.... Who am I kidding. It's going to be like three bosses and they're all going to be giant versions of standard guys with tons of health. It's going to take like an hour to best after the first run through.

Nope. Looks great. Of course, I have over 1200 hours logged into the first game, so it could have been Destiny Cart Racing and I'd buy it.

Jesus that's a sad statement, at least you're honest though lol.

Ganhyun

Well, I see this thread has devolved into the expected Destiny OT users defending the game against the non Destiny OT users.

We all know whats going to happen. The OT when this releases will become the safe haven for those same users who can't take any criticism of the game and anything they decide is trolling will be shouted down in the threads and the only users left will be the same groups of posters that ran the original OTs. Gaming side in general will hate on Destiny 2 matching what originally happened for the most part.

Yea, for some legit things the OTs will go negative at times, but the only users who will be allowed to do so are the ones who always post in there. Anyone else who wanders in and mentions it will be immediately labeled a troll and run off to protect the thread.

Anyways, having tons of time played on the original, I will wait it out and see how it turns out. I'll probably subscribe to the OTs and follow along quietly and see what happens. If its good, Ill get it. If its not and its more of the same recycling and content re-usable BS, I'll pass.

I was thrilled with it pve-wise. Everyone in may clan seems to be pumped too. Not crazy about the pvp changes though. Seems they're making pvp more hardcore which is not what I want.

Beegeous

Replying to OP but no, I'm not disappointed.

I love D1 and am very happy that the story is progressing with regards to the Traveller. Also the new class mechanics, strikes and raid help too.

KageMaru

Bingo. This perfectly sums up my disappointment and concerns with Bungie ever since the launch of Destiny.

Sylas

Cosmetics are content and part of the core gameplay loop. I play some games purely because my character can look cool. Blizzard figured that out with D3 having a transmog system. Plus, it generates even more content since you have to give them as a reward for something. Destiny's MTs are hilarious and dumb.

My honest observation: The reveal looks as though it was orchestrated by Destiny fans for Destiny fans. If I was a newcomer, I wouldn't feel very incentivized to jump in.

Zakalwe

Banned
Game was content starved for the amount of money they were asking for. Actually, the individual expansions were $20 each for a laughable amount of content especially since the MP maps became available to everyone later. Add in the fact that TTK was $40 ($30? for the digital upgrade) while they did nothing for who previously owned the first two expansions. This is not even counting the fact that they had another collector's edition and another $20 for a few cosmetics if you didn't buy the collector's edition.

I ignored the MTs but that doesn't mean that everyone else did. They are a massive cash grab and Jim Sterling touched on this really well in one of his episodes.

Excuse me for not wanting to defend them and to be skeptical of Destiny 2 as a result.

MTs in Destiny really don't deserve focus, they're not a part of the problem at all.

And even launch Destiny wasn't barren. The raid, strokes, campaign, and pvp was quite a lot of content for an online shooter like this. The main problem was the hype that fans generated and Bungie did very little to quell. Aside from the infamous "you can go there, this is all playable space" comment, they were actually very tight lipped about the scope of the game itself. It was the community that hyped it up to be this huge MMO thing, and Bungie let them.

The game was a co-op shooter with MMO elements that was hyped beyond that. That's why most of the backlash occurred. The launch game itself sold well and has had a healthy community right up until today.

This idea that Destiny was shit at launch is mostly only from a very vocal minority, it had issues for sure but it also had a lot to do if you invested in it.

TTK worked for the core fanbase /and/ the detractors, and proved that Bungie was listening to everyone. They were limited in what they could do because it was an expansion built upon an existing game already hamstrung with its limiting engine and last gen ties, but it showed a good understanding of how to build a better game.

Now, they have made missteps. They've made mistakes. They learnt from some and stubbornly clung to others, but this is true for most major devs.

The MTs were never part of the problem. They didn't effect the game at all. The problem was always communication, perception, and some misteps along the way in terms of TDB feeling a bit light, but TTK and RoI had a lot to offer for the money.

This idea that Destiny has always been content starved and they added MTs on top let's shout about it has always been an ignorant one, imo.

Cosmetics are content and part of the core gameplay loop. I play some games purely because my character can look cool. Blizzard figured that out with D3 having a transmog system. Plus, it generates even more content since you have to give them as a reward for something. Destiny's MTs are hilarious and dumb.

Destiny has a transmog-like system, too. Not as free as D3, but it does allow you to upgrade older gear so you can use it.

Buckbeard

Neo Member
I have no real qualms about the PvE content. Looks like there have been some solid improvements.

PvP-wise, however, I am overwhelmingly disappointed. No Dedicated Servers? No 60FPS (console)? Not one mention of Ranked Playlists? Seems to me like the Crucible remains an afterthought.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have no real qualms about the PvE content. Looks like there have been some solid improvements.

PvP-wise, however, I am overwhelmingly disappointed. No Dedicated Servers? No 60FPS (console)? Not one mention of Ranked Playlists? Seems to me like the Crucible remains an afterthought.

This is the biggest downer for me. I was hoping for some kind of expanded pvp, like perhaps some kind of world pvp event, not a smaller one.

PvP in D1 was the lowest point for me anyway. It was better nearer launch, actually.

Lothars

Well, I see this thread has devolved into the expected Destiny OT users defending the game against the non Destiny OT users.

We all know whats going to happen. The OT when this releases will become the safe haven for those same users who can't take any criticism of the game and anything they decide is trolling will be shouted down in the threads and the only users left will be the same groups of posters that ran the original OTs. Gaming side in general will hate on Destiny 2 matching what originally happened for the most part.
the gaming side always had a vocal minority of users hating on Destiny. It's certainly not everyone or anyone not posting in the ot of destiny.

I am. It seems like they made improvements to the game itself but the amount of content looks like the same amount to the content that they had in the base game before the expansions. The PvP stuff seems like they going backwards in some cars too.

Zakalwe

Banned
Erm, Destiny OT was actually only ever shit in the early days when people were being aggressive with their anti-stance. As is the same with almost every Destiny thread ever made outside of the OT.

Sure, there were extremes on both sides, but there was actually very little echo chamber in the OT, almost all the big posters engaged in detailed debates about the games many flaws. It just wasn't appreciated when people made drive-by shit posts, and there were a lot.

Sorral

It's not content starved if you wanted to pay the price of another full price game. Okay? I enjoyed the game at launch with my friends and you can go back to see my posts of talking positively about it inside and outside of the OT. It wasn't until their community manager's comments and their laughable expansions released among other issues came up 3-4 months after launch. The vocal minority excuse is just a deflection.

As for MTs, you are missing my point: Regardless of how little effect the MTs had on the actual gameplay, they were added to a pay to play game and in a large amount after multiple paid expansions that were not cheap to begin with.

Perhaps you could take a look at how other games do their content and how far better other studios handle their games before defending Bungie and Destiny so much.

Trace

Banned
It's not content starved if you wanted to pay the price of another full price game. Okay? I enjoyed the game at launch with my friends and you can go back to see my posts of talking positively about it inside and outside of the OT. It wasn't until their community manager's comments and their laughable expansions released among other issues came up 3-4 months after launch. The vocal minority excuse is just a deflection.

As for MTs, you are missing my point: Regardless of how little effect the MTs had on the actual gameplay, they were added to a pay to play game and in a large amount after multiple paid expansions that were not cheap to begin with.

Perhaps you could take a look at how other games do their content and how far better other studios handle their games before defending Bungie and Destiny so much.

I'm really confused at this line of thinking. There has not been a large FPS on console with the same amount of content as Destiny at launch, assuming you're combining the PvE and PvP content. Battlefield? Nope. CoD? No. Borderlands 2? Maybe, depending on how much you like the loot. Overwatch? No. Titanfall 2? Not even close. Doom? No. The only way you get to a similar amount of content is when you branch off into more RPG titles like Deus Ex/Dishonored.

Zakalwe

Banned

No, it's not a deflection because it is just a vocal minority. Most were happy with the content as they were actually playing it and not on forums complaining about it.

I didn't miss your point.

You pay a sub to WoW, you buy the expacs, but they still sell things in the shop. GW2, you buy the main expacs and they still sell stuff in the shops.

Destiny MTs are not the MTs to point at and call problematic.

Lasty95

Disappointed?

Far, far from it.

Destiny 2 is looking like everything I expected and hoped it would be. More Destiny, but with a ground-up rethink of all it's fundamental systems.

Think it looks perfect.

Sorral

I'm really confused at this line of thinking. There has not been a large FPS on console with the same amount of content as Destiny at launch, assuming you're combining the PvE and PvP content. Battlefield? Nope. CoD? No. Borderlands 2? Maybe, depending on how much you like the loot. Overwatch? No. Titanfall 2? Not even close. Doom? No. The only way you get to a similar amount of content is when you branch off into more RPG titles like Deus Ex/Dishonored.

I played it a ton and they had recycled content/same way of doing things throughout the story. The story itself was ...nothing much to say the least. The Vex were hyped by Bungie to be much more than what they really turned out to be.

Large environments and areas though for sure, but they end up being nothing much after the initial mission. The strikes were fun as well, but boss HP sponges got old very quickly. Then, there was only one raid for like 4 months.

At least most of the games you mentioned didn't claim to be something they were really not.

No, it's not a deflection because it is just a vocal minority. Most were happy with the content as they were actually playing it and not on forums complaining about it.

It's a deflection because if you did read what I was saying, you would know that I was posting positively about the game around launch until I saw what was really happening with the game later. To call me a vocal minority is a deflection of actual real criticism of the game.

spannicus

Im in the bunch that thinks there should be more than 1 raid. 3 sounds about right. New enemies wouldnt hurt either. Knowing how much of a game junkie i am I'll get it anyway though.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's a deflection because if you did read what I was saying, you would know that I was posting positively about the game around launch until I saw what was really happening with the game later. To call me a vocal minority is a deflection of actual real criticism of the game.

It's not a deflection. You are part of the vocal minority. This is important to acknowledge, the majority of players seemed very happy with D1 especially as it only got better over time.

Same is almost certainly true of D2. It's going to sell a ridiculous amount because this is true, outside of the internet and their vocal minority of enthusiasts both positive and negative, the majority will eat this up.

Muffdraul

Definitely underwhelmed. No new character class? No new character race? No new alien race? I certainly expected D2 would include at least one of these things, if not all. It's possible they just didn't want to reveal them yet, but if so I really question their marketing strategy. That aside, I'm confident I'll have tons of fun playing D2. Just not all that impressed by the reveal.

Sorral

It's not a deflection. You are part of the vocal minority. This is important to acknowledge, the majority of players seemed very happy with D1 especially as it only got better over time.

Same is almost certainly true of D2. It's going to sell a ridiculous amount because this is true, outside of the internet and their vocal minority of enthusiasts both positive and negative, the majority will eat this up.

Yes, who cares about what's good for us as consumers as long as it sells! They will eat it up with no problems! /s

Besides, you're on Neogaf. What the hell are you expecting? Roses, and sunshine surrounding the game?

Zakalwe

Banned
Yes, who cares about what's good for us as consumers as long as it sells! They will eat it up with no problem!

Besides, you're on Neogaf. What the hell are you expecting? Roses, and sunshine surrounding the game?

Point remains, the MTs in Destiny are not the example you want to point at. They're very tame in comparison to actual problematic MTs.

Reasonable discussion is always a good thing to ask for.

Sorral

Sarcasm in reply to what he said? I guess I need to add the /s.

Point remains, the MTs in Destiny are not the example you want to point at. They're very tame in comparison to actual problematic MTs.

Reasonable discussion is always a good thing to ask for.

You were calling my criticism as just something from vocal minority. How do you have a reasonable discussion if you run away from the discussion with that and just brush it off?
I take issues with MTs in pay to play games in general regardless of their level of tameness. I can count the times I spent money there in other games as two times ever and I regret one of them. This isn't a F2P game and the fact it was added in later made it even worse as they were not upfront about it.

Sande

Most of those game have a very different focus, and Borderlands 2 has far more content. Destiny's single player / coop was supposed to be able to stand on its own. It couldn't, as it was so damn short and limited.

Destiny can't use repetitive multiplayer as a crutch to the extend Call of Duty and Battlefield do, imo. And I'd say that COD and BF should have way more content too. A handful of mp maps and a 4-5 hour campaign is pretty ridiculous for any 60$ game.

edit: Talking about vanilla btw. DLC was too little too late too expensive for me.

My honest observation: The reveal looks as though it was orchestrated by Destiny fans for Destiny fans. If I was a newcomer, I wouldn't feel very incentivized to jump in.

The main focus and story alone is like "oh no all your year 1 work is gone, go do something about it!" So I definitely understand why you would feel that way.

Zakalwe

Banned
You were calling my criticism as just something from vocal minority. How do you have a reasonable discussion if you run away from the discussion with that and just brush it off?
I take issues with MTs in pay to play games in general regardless of their level of tameness. I can count the times I spent money there in other games as two times ever and I regret one of them. This isn't a F2P game and the fact it was added in later made it even worse as they were not upfront about it.

Calling it the vocal minority isn't brushing it off, it's proving context. your opinion is totally valid majority or minority.

i just happen to disagree with it.

Top Bottom