• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else notice a pattern here? (Nier: Automata, GR 2, and Horizon: Zero Dawn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
ON A BODYGUARD, WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO DRESS LIKE THIS
3_bodyguards2.jpg
Like this:
brotherhood-ffxv-03-03-young-gladio.jpg

or this:
pic_59.jpg

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I am very interested in Horizon (based on gameplay footage) and moderately interested in Gravity Rush 2 (based on the demo). I am not interested in Nier Automata because the demo was trash.

Why are you asking me, anyway?

Because you're in the thread...

Anyway, what made that demo trash? Is it because you don't like NieR and it didn't change your mind?

It does but ok.

but how lol. like im not even arguing with anything else you're saying. we've established at this point that the fabric covering her midsection is basically the equivalent of a t shirt, and wouldn't offer any extra protection compared to her skin.

now you're just making things up about how "you shouldn't expose your skin to this kind of environment" when you have no idea what the environment is like, all we know is that it's post apocalyptic, but other than that, you just keep projecting things from your own head on the issue just to prove your point.

like, throw me a bone here at least as to how her linen shirt is any more practical, given the facts that we have at the moment, not based on your opinion of the game and its setting.

like i guess she wouldn't get as dirty, but other than that?

That, and XV is literally every fujiyoshi dream come true.

And it's so goddamn obvious

The four guys in your party are literally focus tested to hell to appeal to that audience, yet Cindy gets all the hate for being designed to appeal to dudes

I do not understand it

None of the main parties character's outfits make sense for what they're doing in the game

Because it's a fantasy based on Nomura's fever dreams

FFS are you seriously saying that the acknowledgement of different design philosophies and critiquing one side while also critiquing plenty of aspects of another is fucking racism? I don't think you know what racism means and holy shit do not attend an art university.

...in which your needless affixing of race, nationality etc as a basis of criticism is part of what comprises the racism you're exhibiting and attempt to further establish the idea that you can define racism in a way which you believe will exempt you from accountability whenever you are being racist.

Taruranto

The four guys in your party are literally focus tested to hell to appeal to that audience, yet Cindy gets all the hate for being designed to appeal to dudes

I do not understand it

I guess it's because people don't interact with certain fandoms.

They are probably the same people that think Tales of Berseria is more aimed at women than Zestiria because female protagonist.

Nya

I do not understand it

None of the main parties character's outfits make sense for what they're doing in the game

Exactly, they all dress/look like a boy band group that mostly female audience is going to find that attractive, I know I did.

That is not a rebuttal.

Stop bringing up things unrelated to the actual argument at hand. Ad hom is considered a fallacy for a bloody reason. If you're going to keep being this disingenuous in your arguments you really should just leave the thread since you're not really contributing anything at that point.

He's contributing by obstructing unapologetic, entrenched racism from Crossing Eden so that the conversation can not be monopolized by the underpinnings of abhorrent, consequence free racism which only angers and disgusts non-racists, effectively deterring participation in any possible conversation entirely.

Crossing Eden

but how lol. like im not even arguing with anything else you're saying. we've established at this point that the fabric covering her midsection is basically the equivalent of a t shirt, and wouldn't offer any extra protection compared to her skin.

now you're just making things up about how "you shouldn't expose your skin to this kind of environment" when you have no idea what the environment is like, all we know is that it's post apocalyptic, but other than that, you just keep projecting things from your own head on the issue just to prove your point.

like, throw me a bone here at least as to how her linen shirt is any more practical, given the facts that we have at the moment, not based on your opinion of the game and its setting.

like i guess she wouldn't get as dirty, but other than that lol?
Dude, the reason we wear clothing and grow body hair is to protect ourselves from the elements, if you're adventuring and you're going to a hot area, like a rain forest which could be filled with any number of bugs, toxins, (the former having sound effects in that trailer), etc. I assume you wouldn't wanna have COMPLETELY exposed skin. She's a tribal hunter so I assume she isn't bathing very frequently. And I'm projecting? Dude i'm not the one who came up with the "it's hot so she's wearing less" thing. The truth is we have no idea what the context behind that outfit is but can critique aspects of its design, namely, a midriff that by all accounts, seems pointlessly exposed.

Also Cindy was designed by an Italian developer. No thoughts put into her being another example by Western devs.
The other thread about him is pretty much about how bad of a design Cidney is.

They have been criticized by being man-face from majority of fans. Also they move and were animated like a male character. Play the game compared to Soul Calibur.
Yes but character design is more than just the face of a character, (plus the criticism is that they aren't doll faced or "pretty" enough),

and what the hell does "animated like a male character" mean. Women move incredibly similar to men in any given situation.

None of them are believable. Fighting robots that shoot laser with Aloy's default costume are not going to work.
The pitch is that she's a tribal hunter in a post sci-fi world, in that regard, it's very believable.

Where did I suggest such things? Don't make things up.
By saying things like "designed like a male" when referring to characters not being doll-faced/thin enough but just as sexualized as a Japanese equivalent.
The differences are nowhere near as severe as you'd think:
This is MK9
1652302-1697558_mk_mileena_drawing.jpg

This is Soul Calibur 4:
128346831.jpg

Neoxon

What in the world dude? Injustice character designs are not designed as male:Injustice looks like this:
harley-quinn-injustice.jpg

injustice_2_harley_quinn_classic_costume_shot_1.jpg

Injustice-2-trailer-Wonder-Woman.png

What about that is designed like a male? They're rocking boob armor and lingerie for fighting. What the hell. Injustice is an example of what I usually complain about.

It's more like this is becoming an ever increasing sentiment:
design men with believability in mind, also design women with believability in mind
You can attribute that to comics more than anything else. That said, Marvel's been moving a bit more in a practical direction for their female heroes & villains as of late (Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, Gamora, Squirrel Girl, etc.). Even DC's TV shows on CW are being a bit more practical when it comes to female costumes (Black & White Canary, 1940's & Present-Day Vixen, Jessie Quick, & Earth-1 Killer Frost to name a few).

LotusHD

Banned
I'd put 2B behind her, as for Aloy that tribal outfit doesn't do it for me. But it's different.

I could see 2B later becoming my favorite due to her snarky dialogue in the demo, but first I need to play the actual game. With Kat though, it's easy to have her as my favorite due to her already having one game out, because she was just a delight in general in it.

Clever title, OP. I was curious enough by what all three games had in common, and found a pretty positive topic I like. I remember making a thread with a somewhat similar premise in the past, and have to thank Vex for bringing this up; I wasn't even aware of how many more female-led games were coming out. Despite the derailing, and some amazingly...memorable quoted posts, I'm glad this got some of the intended traction.

There's a good chance I'll be checking all three games out at some point, out of my own interest and some recommendations, and some things I've seen in this thread. Horizon is definitely on my must-try-sometime list, as well as GR1 and 2 since I don't have to have a Vita to play it now (I think). Nier...just hoping it lives up to all the praise. Either way, as I like diverse leads, I have a little more incentive to support these, so thanks for the notice.

I think this is only notable in the case of Horizon, as Japanese titles regularly feature female leads where Western titles have not. Japan has entire franchises with casts comprised largely or solely of female characters. Any perception of this as a "new" phenomenon in their games is likely shaped by your own ethnocentric biases.

Edit: RE: the above, I think Adam Sessler kicked up a bit of stink at the time, but with the way news cycles work in Gaming, it was swiftly forgotten.

Crossing Eden

You can attribute that to comics more than anything else. That said, Marvel's been moving a bit more in a practical direction for their female heroes & villains as of late (Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, Gamora, Squirrel Girl, etc.). Even DC's TV shows on CW are being a bit more practical when it comes to female costumes (Black & White Canary, 1940's & Present-Day Vixen, Jessie Quick, & Earth-1 Killer Frost to name a few).
That's good. Generally fighting games and comics are still pretty ridiculous in this regard so good to see them improving especially with characters like Batgirl, Spider Gwen, and Miss Marvel which I appreciate seeing in threads despite not being an avid comic book reader.

So does anyone know if Sony Santa Monica ever got a significant amount of criticism for this?

I've mentioned it before, and I know I'm not the only one who was bothered by it.

While I've also written critically about the protagonist's outfit in NieR: Automata, 2B's outfit doesn't bother me nearly as much as what Sony Santa Monica (an American developer, incidentally) decided to put into their game.
Shit like Poseidon princess are why i'm baffled that they're trying to humanize and redeem Kratos when he's incredibly irredeemable and doesn't deserve a peaceful family life let alone a dad simulator. That shit is straight up disturbing.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I could see 2B later becoming my favorite due to her snarky dialogue in the demo, but first I need to play the actual game. With Kat though, it's easy to have her as my favorite due to her already having one game out, because she was just a delight in general in it.

I wanna see more of Aloy's personality tbh. I agree with the 2B comment.

I have all three pre-ordered. Trying to decide whether or not I can justify the $190 for the Black Box Edition of Nier.
I know I couldn't and I REALLY want the figure and the steelbox :( I would only buy it if by miracle the Black Box edition is released on Amazon kinda like Drakengard 3 only being on the Square store but later also releasing it on Amazon... but I won't hold my breath.

Also, god damn I'm still catching up with this thread... just a little bit more.

I asked this before but got no reply.

If the bare midriff outfit in Horizon came with terrible defensive stats, would that be okay? Or are you of the opinion that a player should not be allowed to make choices like that?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If the bare midriff outfit in Horizon came with terrible defensive stats, would that be okay? Or are you of the opinion that a player should not be allowed to make choices like that?

I didn't even know Horizon had 'armors' and changeable costumes, does it ?

Equality is incredibly important for not just the game industry but the world as a whole. Japan treating women worse than we do, (honestly consider the context of that statement), is absolutely not something worth fighting for.

...in which you essentially assert that Japan is not compatible with western civilization as if you were Richard Dawkins speaking on Islam in a way that could be said to empower racism, and preemptively justify your nationalist, xenophobic racism as being necessary for the greater good.

peronmls

The female lead in Nier is wonderful. She appears to have no personality at all, and her eyes are covered so you can focus on her exposed thighs and buttocks, rather than her soul or feelings. Just the way GAF likes it!

nier-boots2grkgy.jpg
if you look up her skirt she will push away the camera

Crossing Eden

That would be a good subtle criticism of such outfits if she took major damage from piercing attacks. Bioware had this as a small easter egg:
HNSgCoq.png

Player agency is a big thing with me so if a player would do something like wear inadequate armor that is by design bad i'm all for that as it's a more overt criticism, like the shields in bloodborne being useless.

...in which you essentially assert that Japan is not compatible with western civilization as if you were Richard Dawkins speaking on Islam in a way that could be said to empower racism, and preemptively justify your nationalist, xenophobic racism as being necessary for the greater good.
In which you completely and utterly misinterpret every single one of my posts as racism despite clear and succinct explanations of their intent. If I critique the absolutely horrendous itemization, fan ownership, and dehumanization of idols would you find that racist too?

Dude, the reason we wear clothing and grow body hair is to protect ourselves from the elements, if you're adventuring and you're going to a hot area, like a rain forest which could be filled with any number of bugs, toxins, (the former having sound effects in that trailer), etc. I assume you wouldn't wanna have COMPLETELY exposed skin. She's a tribal hunter so I assume she isn't bathing very frequently. And I'm projecting? Dude i'm not the one who came up with the "it's hot so she's wearing less" thing. The truth is we have no idea what the context behind that outfit is but can critique aspects of its design, namely, a midriff that by all accounts, seems pointlessly exposed.

yeah fair point, i was thinking about it more from a comfort/battle damage perspective. it only sounded like you were projecting to me bc you were saying things about the environments of the game that we don't really know about other than visuals, but maybe that was just me projecting haha. There are plenty of other environments in the game besides a jungle-esque setting from what we've seen though. And also, like, people do wear less clothing when it's hot, and midriff exposing clothing is something that women do wear, particularly when exercising because your body temperature rises.

i think it's fine to critique, i don't want to to discourage that, and i don't want it to come off like an attack either bc i don't want to attack anybody lol, but i think there is usually discussion to be had about these kinds of things. Ultimately yeah, we won't know anything until the game comes out, and then we can critique further based on the actual context.

Laiza

He's contributing by obstructing unapologetic, entrenched racism from Crossing Eden so that the conversation can not be monopolized by the underpinnings of abhorrent, consequence free racism which only angers and disgusts non-racists, effectively deterring participation in any possible conversation entirely.
Cripes. Look, you can address perceptibly racist comments WITHOUT bringing them up on entirely unrelated arguments, alright?

There's an interesting conversation to be had here on the value posters put on the respectful representation of female characters, but it's very difficult to have that conversation when people are constantly trying to discredit posters through ad hom attacks and focusing on extremely minor aspects of the argument instead of the bigger picture.

Frankly, I'm not even sure why I'm bothering at this point. I try my best to type up my thoughts but then everyone ignores it in favor of getting outraged at something or other. It's quite tiring.

neohwa

Crossing Eden

yeah fair point, i was thinking about it more from a comfort/battle damage perspective. it only sounded like you were projecting to me bc you were saying things about the environments of the game that we don't really know about other than visuals, but maybe that was just me projecting haha. There are plenty of other environments in the game besides a jungle-esque setting from what we've seen though. And also, like, people do wear less clothing when it's hot, and midriff exposing clothing is something that women do wear, particularly when exercising because your body temperature rises.

i think it's fine to critique, i don't want to to discourage that, and i don't want it to come off like an attack either bc i don't want to attack anybody lol, but i think there is usually discussion to be had about these kinds of things. Ultimately yeah, we won't know anything until the game comes out, and then we can critique further based on the actual context.
People do wear less clothing when it's hot true but I would chock that up to not knowing what to do in response to a situation. Like, I'd expect a hunter to know what to wear to protect themselves from the elements as efficiently as possible. And hey I don't think you're attacking me, at least you aren't calling me racist. Ծ_Ծ

Seems I was completely wrong on that front. Apologies. :/ Still, more women work there but it's not very ideal in terms of their influence. and ofc the inequality.

Mithos

How much of a difference could there even be, 50def with, 49def without?
Or are you meaning punishing people that like the "wrong" type of looking armors?

D i Z

I don't see why it shouldn't. A lot of games are taking the practicality of what you wear into combat as a matter of survival or being foolhardy. In fact, there is a significant portion of games that balance the ability to run around nearly fully naked for the sake of being less restricted in movement. The downside being that one good hit and you get split from shoulder to thigh. It's nothing new. Ghosts N Goblins did it.

Edit to add that those games seem to repel people who aren't interested in that kind of control and the minutiae of building resistance to combat and to the elements. Details like that. Eye candy is never practical in any game with a character that needs to move like their stars depend upon it.

A game with a sexualized character can draw extra awareness to it that it didn't have before (see how Dragon's Crown profited off its controversy).
i know it doesn't have to do with the conversations happening but reading this just made me think "O yeah, there is supposed to be a new Vanillaware game and I have forgotten about it until now...".

Crossing Eden

How much of a difference could there even be, 50def with, 49def without?
Or are you meaning punishing people that like the "wrong" type of looking armors?
Piercing attacks having a hell of a stronger effect than they would if she were wearing something like this:
horizon_zero_dawn_late_2016_screen_6.jpg

neohwa

and what the hell does "animated like a male character" mean. Women move incredibly similar to men in any given situation.

No they don't. Observe them. This is why attention to details in Japanese games are so much more superior.

The pitch is that she's a tribal hunter in a post sci-fi world, in that regard, it's very believable.

No she would need an armor with a helmet at the very least. It's not very believable that she can survive in the world for more than 1 sec.

By saying things like "designed like a male" when referring to characters not being doll-faced/thin enough but just as sexualized as a Japanese equivalent.
The differences are nowhere near as severe as you'd think:

Notice how your MK9 character is covered by a mask? Have you even seen what's behind that mask? Does her face look like a female to you? That's how Western devs design their female characters. No thoughts put into them, no clue, or downright offensive.

Taruranto

That would be a good subtle criticism of such outfits if she took major damage from piercing attacks. Bioware had this as a small easter egg:
HNSgCoq.png

Funny, because DAI has a character like this:
nRrx66n.jpg

The majority of her outfits actually leave her chest exposed.

(No, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that outfit myself. It actually works pretty well for that character and it's a pretty good design, but it's clearly not "realistic". And there is nothing wrong with it.)

Astral Dog

It sucks but since the thread is already like this I might as well ask this. Can someone tell me of a actual sexualized male design? Like I have read threads about the subject and when it comes to women there are those that are debatable like 2B but I can say an example of a non-sexualized female for example Ellie from TLoU and a sexualized one like Kagura from Onechambara and no one will debate it because is so clear. But when it comes to male sexualized characters and examples they're usually disregarded as either being power fantasy or "a joke" like for example Raiden from MGS and the naked scene. Just showing skin isn't enough like with females since guys like Kratos or barbarians in general tend to only use a loincloth but it's not to be sexual but to be shown as powerful and costumes like Sailor Chris Redfield are treated as joke costumes when people talk about it. The only example I though I knew for sure was that guy on the Final Fantasy movile game(mobios I think?) that looks like a male version of "armor bikini" but even that was being debated as not sexual by some people on the threads that mentioned it.

So to summarize, is there a sexualized male character that can't be debated as being something else? I legit want to know and I'm not asking to have a reply fight with anyone.
Uh, that definetly was a good example as they ended
covering him up due to complains he was too sexualized.
And Neogaf threads noticed him right away.
FF in general is good at this.

Other would be any character with skimpy outfits but thats dwsignated more as simple "manservice" unlike women wich are used more to define their character (any femme fatale like villain)
I guess its simply "easier" to make fanservice for straight boys than anything else in the industry

DemWalls

Now that I think about it, yeah, some western developers could really work on the faces. I played Inquisition a few months ago, and some female characters looked really off, Cremisius especially.

D i Z

nRrx66n.jpg

(No, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that outfit myself. I actually works pretty well for that character but it's clearly not "realistic")

To be fair, if that character is ever taking melee damage, you're doing it wrong. But that doesn't invalidate your point.

If they manage to humanize Kratos and I shed a tear when he dies, yes, he will die, then that's the biggest achievement in recent gaming history.

Also, I was never a big fan of him, and yet I am incredibly hyped after the reveal. Like Persona 5 level hyped.

Bioware is awful. Fill a bar to fuck NPC X. Not thanks.

Edit: Cory Barlog did not make that game.

Wow that explanation was fucking obtuse to the max holy shit lol!

Like who the fuck cares it's a fantasy game jesus lmao

+1 to the ignore list

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So does anyone know if Sony Santa Monica ever got a significant amount of criticism for this?

I've mentioned it before, and I know I'm not the only one who was bothered by it.

While I've also written critically about the protagonist's outfit in NieR: Automata, 2B's outfit doesn't bother me nearly as much as what Sony Santa Monica (an American developer, incidentally) decided to put into their game.

Pretty sure I recall Kratos abusing male "survivors" elsewhere in exactly the same way, and the scene in question just showed him being an equal-opportunity psychopath!

I mean, in those games Kratos' answer in practically any situation is to murder the shit out of everyone. The difference between SSM and say Yoko Taro's approach to having such an irredeemable psychpath in the lead is that in the former case they just "leave it there", without comment; whereas the latter is more likely to really lean into it to stress the irony of having such a monstrous "hero" and make the player feel bad about it.

Kaine in Nier's appearance is another example of Yoko really subverting the "sexy heroine" trope and has far more story weight than is initially apparent, so I'd be wary of writing off the androids appearance in Automata too soon also.

Crossing Eden

No they don't. Observe them. This is why attention to details in Japanese games are so much more superior.
Yes, they do, I go people watching and am an animator. They absolutely do. The differences are subtle unless you go by media.

No she would need an armor with a helmet at the very least. It's not very believable that she can survive in the world for more than 1 sec.
That armor includes a crown in some form and considering her moveset it's very believable that she can survive as she's very mobile.

Notice how your MK9 character is covered by a mask? Have you even seen what's behind that mask? Does her face look like a female to you? That's how Western devs design their female characters. No thoughts put into them, no clue, or downright offensive.
Yes, i've seen what Mileena looks like without a mask, she's still unmistakably a woman.

And i'm gonna go out on a limb here, like, completely left field, but I don't think that Mileena is very representative of how the west design female characters. I actually am legitimately struggling to think of other game characters have have a similar mouth to Mileena, and, ofc, lots of thought went into designing a face that looks like that. The most common attribute among women in games is that they're white, and some form of brunette. But thankfully, slowly but surely that's becoming less common. Just going by playable characters this gen:

and ofc Aloy herself.
onRitib.jpg

I missed quite a few.

So I sincerely gotta ask, what in the world are you talking about? None of these women look masculine at all, in fact, a criticism could be that they all have very similar physics.

nRrx66n.jpg

(No, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that outfit myself. It actually works pretty well for that character and it's a pretty good design, but it's clearly not "realistic". And there is nothing wrong with it.)
As someone said earlier year she shouldn't be taking melee hits but I agree that outfit is pretty dumb and a lot of her outfits are similarly revealing. Bioware is about equal opportunity everybody is sexy though, like Dorian getting a sex scene and then the camera pans fades in and he's completely nude. Now if only he had an outfit that showed off his pecks like Varric.

Uh, that definetly was a good example as they ended
covering him up due to complains he was too sexualized.
And Neogaf threads noticed him right away.
FF in general is good at this.

Other would be any character with skimpy outfits but thats dwsignated more as simple "manservice" unlike women wich are used more to define their character (any femme fatale like villain)
I guess its simply "easier" to make fanservice for straight boys than anything else in the industry
First off, I finally reached the end of the thread!... I'm a slow reader. And yeah, I thought so too but I remember some people debating it not being sexualized... don't remember the details mentioned since it was a while but I think it was that even if he was light on clothes his pose was more power fantasy rather than fanservice? That's what I think I remember but I could be wrong, my memory can be trash at times :S.

ActWan

Well I'm currently playing Gravity Rush Remastered and Kat is just a great character, might be the best female one I've seen.
I actually never noticed you can see 2Bs thighs in the Nier demo so the sexualization claim was super odd for me...

I actually never noticed you can see 2Bs thighs in the Nier demo so the sexualization claim was super odd for me...
Yeah, I knew about her thong leotard before playing the demo but never noticed it on my first play and actually found it wierd when I heard of the complaint about it on her running animation. It seems that some people play with the camera directly on her back while I always angle it a little up. :p

Budi

I do? You showed your ass all by yourself, I'm not sure what I have to do with it. Didn't you notice the ~15 other people attacking you for your shitty views?

Don't try and deflect, this isn't about me.

Crossing Eden got attacked for criticizing waifus. Calling Crossing Eden racist based on what was said is really dumb and skewing what was actually said. Those racism accusations were a deflection if anything. I understand that it's hard to defend some female character designs, so the discussion easily goes off the rails.

Pretty sure I recall Kratos abusing male "survivors" elsewhere in exactly the same way, and the scene in question just showed him being an equal-opportunity psychopath!

One of the most well known moments in the series is in the original game where Kratos pushes a caged Spartan into a puzzle where he's burned alive. The soldier is begging for his life the entire time it's happening. The room you have to do it in has another soldier that had committed suicide rather than go through with what was required of him. In the original PAL and Japanese release the caged soldier was changed to an enemy skin that was angry at Kratos rather than begging for its life.

Well I'm currently playing Gravity Rush Remastered and Kat is just a great character, might be the best female one I've seen.

This is a common sentiment of those that have played GR. She's just a fucking awesome character. It says a lot about the good job they did with her when she starts with the "character with amnesia" plotline but it doesn't fall into the usual holes you'd expect with that as a starting point for a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom