• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else sick of Roguelites/Rogue-likes and miss crafted well designed levels?

Pejo

So I don't know why Steam suddenly got a boner to recommend me Roguelites and Rogue-likes all the damn time, but it's been non stop lately.

The frustrating thing is that the games otherwise look like something I'd enjoy. Dungeon crawlers with unlockable moves/spells. Challenging side scroller action games with RPG mechanics. Isometric ARPGs. But there's a catch - you need to die to progress with some ingenious inheritance mechanic. WHOAH. What if I just wanted to build a character the classic way, or not have to depend on dying, but actually try to avoid it at all costs.

Also, procedurally generated content sucks. From my experience it always end up feeling uninspired and samey, despite the claim of "never play the same level twice!".

Are you guys sick of them too, or is there something I'm missing about the genre that makes it really awesome?

I feel like I don’t get tired of “trends” because I’m never forced to play games. Whether it’s battle Royale, zombie games, open world, whatever, souls-like, whatever, I never get bothered. I just play what I like and ignore what I dislike

I love Dead Cells. Been playing the shit out of that on Origin Access

there’s enough new content in every genre for everyone to be happy

currently I’m in a big ARPG phase but I’ll probably burn out on those soon, in time for Doom Eternal

proc gen rogue games are usually pretty addictive in My experience. If they nail the loop then I’m down with them. If not I just forget about them. I don’t think their existence hampers anything, though

just imo

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not sick of them, but yes it can be a lazy crutch. In general too much of a game's content nowadays is meted out via lootboxes or unlockables or roguelike barriers.

Also it demands a very different kind of playthrough loop compared to other genres. Some gamers will find it distasteful to die to things they didn't have much of a chance of beating, replaying through a dungeon that is 90% the same as the last one, and dying to it again.

Spelunky, Enter the Gungeon, and Dead Cells are 3 of my favorite games ever so I can't agree with you. I don't have that much time to dedicate to games anymore and these ones scratch my gaming itch.

Eh, I kind of agree with Pejo Pejo . Whenever I see a new pixelated rogue-like, I just tune out. I'm sure there's some good well-made ones out there, and I'm glad people enjoy them, but I haven't really liked any since Spelunky.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So I don't know why Steam suddenly got a boner to recommend me Roguelites and Rogue-likes all the damn time, but it's been non stop lately.

The frustrating thing is that the games otherwise look like something I'd enjoy. Dungeon crawlers with unlockable moves/spells. Challenging side scroller action games with RPG mechanics. Isometric ARPGs. But there's a catch - you need to die to progress with some ingenious inheritance mechanic. WHOAH. What if I just wanted to build a character the classic way, or not have to depend on dying, but actually try to avoid it at all costs.

Also, procedurally generated content sucks. From my experience it always end up feeling uninspired and samey, despite the claim of "never play the same level twice!".

Are you guys sick of them too, or is there something I'm missing about the genre that makes it really awesome?

Foregone is a great metroidvania that looks similar to Dead Cells BUT has actual levels to play through.
It's on the Epic Store(don't dog pile me please) right now in early access for like $25 and it's been great.
Steam release will be later.
Highly polished already.

Northernlion plays Foregone!

Pejo

Spelunky, Enter the Gungeon, and Dead Cells are 3 of my favorite games ever so I can't agree with you. I don't have that much time to dedicate to games anymore and these ones scratch my gaming itch.
So would you say that these games are better played in a "pick up for 5 minutes" way instead of an hour or so?

So would you say that these games are better played in a "pick up for 5 minutes" way instead of an hour or so?

Spelunky yes.

Depends on Gungeon and Dead Cells. Runs can take more than an hour on these games, but they also have save systems that are very friendly to pick up and play at any time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Seems like RPGS on a smaller scale, so I know I have no interest in them, my guess is there's a market for them?

Ivellios

Im with you op, i avoid any game that is roguelike or procedural generated content on it

Only game i enjoyed on this genre was Spelunky, i recommend anyone to play that game, really fun and creative, especially coop

This was a genre I completely ignored until Binding of Issac Rebirth showed up as a ps+ title. I sunk like a billion hours into it, and hungrily looked for more.
Gungeon is one of my favorites of all time now, Spelunky is right up there too. Dead Cells, Hades, Darkest Dungeon, Caveblazers, Rogue Legacy, Slay the Spire, there are so many excellent ones in every flavor of the rainbow.

Banned
every time I now see a top-down 2D game I immediately think "oh fuck off... another shitty 2D rogue lite with random dungeons... fuuukkkk...... nah bye!"
even if it turns out not to be a rogue lite, simply because there are so many of that kind I am getting vietnam flashbacks from just sighting a new topdown game with dungeons

WolfusFh

I really enjoyed Dead Cells, but the random map generation is not a mechanic I'm too fond off, nor the "losing stuff at death forever". Maybe if Dead cells played like Megaman Zx, I would have enjoyed it even more.

I can't say I'm sick of the style because I didn't play any of them besides DC. But in your place I would annoyed as well.

drotahorror

Im with you op, i avoid any game that is roguelike or procedural generated content on it

Only game i enjoyed on this genre was Spelunky, i recommend anyone to play that game, really fun and creative, especially coop

Why did you bother with Spelunky and avoided any that aren't Spelunky?

Children of Morta, Dead Cells, Monolith and Noita are all top notch roguelike/lites. One of my new favorites in the genre Is Synthetik.

Yeah, I'm pretty tired with them. This and "open world" gaming are just insanely lazy ways to design a game. There are a few good ones from time to time (I love Enter the Gungeon and Dead Cells) but most of them are meh.

Ivellios

Why did you bother with Spelunky and avoided any that aren't Spelunky?

Children of Morta, Dead Cells, Monolith and Noita are all top notch roguelike/lites. One of my new favorites in the genre Is Synthetik.

Spelunky i enjoyed because of the coop aspect more than anything else. The rest of the games you listed all sound very good but they are not for me.

I prefer RPGs with well crafted dungeons and maps, and i enjoy long term character progression, i dont like losing everything after dying and then starting all over again.

Saber

Gold Member
Nah. I only get sick of something if I play the same genre/type everytime.

Last edited:
Totally with you on this one, OP.
I hate rogue like games. That trend needs to die.
Also procedural generation. I hate that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont mind rogue-like games in gameplay.

Problem is every one of them seems to be super bright cute looking games.

Anyone know of gritty bloody ones? Darkest Dungeon looks awesome but the party system I hated.

Any single character a Rogue-ish games that look realistic-ish and gritty?

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yes. Completely.

Between these and open-world games, it's becoming surprisingly difficult to find actual level design anymore. Which, as it turns out, is kinda important. I enjoy a fair number of these games, but they definitely lack a certain something because of the randomness.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Nope. Simply alternate the genres you play. Sounds like you simply don't like roguelikes. That's fine, plenty of other genres out there, play the ones you do like.

Stuart360

I must admit, it does make me laugh when you see game descriptions lauding 'procedural generated;' like its a GOOD thing. All it means is they didnt have the skill to make levels, and results in the games being repetative and the same thing through the whole game.

This one's what I've been tinkering around with for a few days now. It's still (kind of) guilty of the whole unlock things for your next playthrough gimmick but the setting and presentation really carries it.

Nope. Simply alternate the genres you play. Sounds like you simply don't like roguelikes. That's fine, plenty of other genres out there, play the ones you do like.
It's annoying though when you find a unique game like Darkest Dungeon that's everything you want except the rogue like thing making it feel like nothing you do matters. It wouldn't be that hard to create a rebalanced casual mode with saving and stuff.

Pejo

It's annoying though when you find a unique game like Darkest Dungeon that's everything you want except the rogue like thing making it feel like nothing you do matters. It wouldn't be that hard to create a rebalanced casual mode with saving and stuff.
This is a great point. Like even if you kept the proc. generated levels, adding a save system and "camping" mechanic or something to recover HP/MP would make me actually love a lot of these games. Or a Souls style checkpoint system even.

Just don't play those games. I do research before buying a game, if it uses generated maps/dungeons I don't even try anymore, there is not a single one of those that I ever liked for more than a few minutes, they are not worth my time.

I'd say it's more of a tag certain developers give their games, rather than them actually being proper roguelikes or well done procedural generation. Real roguelikes (that are actively updated today) are under 10 total probably.

The amount of actual quality roguelikes is far smaller than the volume, and the same can be said of procedurally generated worlds/levels/etc. There actually needs to be a lot of work put into these with multiple biomes/sub biomes/events/etc. Terraria would be a great example of procedural generation done correctly.

Basically the same sort of shit they used to do in the 90s/2000s with the 'RPG' tag. Some of the crap they categorized as an RPG back then was pretty whacky at times. Course nowadays it's probably worse, like the RPG section on PS/Xbox store I couldn't disagree more with those classifications if I tried.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
51l42Q0iIRL.jpg

I love everything about this genre thank you to this great game.

TheMan

I don't like rogue likes in general, probably because death is expected and in fact usually a core component of the gameplay loop. Even with procedurally generated environments, it always feels like I end up treading the same ground over and over again.

DryvBy

I've hated them for a decade now. I don't get why you'd want to play a game that is heavily reliant on RNG and never lets you really advance.

That said, I do like Dead Cells and Children or Morta a lot for some reason.

Animagic

Banned
Yes, I’m sick of them.

So many times I am interested in a game, then I discover it’s a roguelike and lose all interest. I still love Brogue and Spelunky and others, but man... I’m over it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom