• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone getting a new TV this Black Friday?

IpsoFacto

I might. I love my 32-inch display but without smart tv functionally and without DVB-C, it's getting slighty annoying.

Gargus

Banned
Getting one for my stepson for Christmas. Of course he will be lucky if I spend 300 bucks on it. But anything will be an upgrade over his 42inch insignia that's like 10 years old.

I might go 400 if I can find a decent Samsung 4k. But he doesn't need anything super fancy or huge.

Too bad the A8G isn't HDMI 2.1 as mentioned. Would definitely give the C9 some competition. That C9 really is the best panel at the moment for gaming. (standard burn-in warning)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Negative. Waiting for 2.1 standard across the board first, before going from my current 4K to another 4K.

Last edited:

Daymos

Nope. My 45 inch 1080p LG tv is supposed to last 16+ years and I plan to keep watching it until then...

Nope. Not a huge fan of TVs (too much display lag, too few support refresh rates higher han 60Hz and they're rarely color accurate) so when I recently upgraded it was from an old 40" Samsung TV to a 32" 75Hz 1080p monitor, which I prompty overclocked to 84Hz. Cheap and cheerful.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is the LGc9 worth the money over the LGb9?

As far as I know the b9 still has hdmi 2.1 and vrr, the only difference is a slower SoC?
Supposedly the C9 has better graded panels than the B9, but I don't really know what that means, since my B7A looks breathtaking. That;s what I was told by Robert Zohn.

The B-series is definitely the cheapest of the LG OLEDs, but it's rated quite well at rtings.com and I seriously doubt anyone who gets one will be disappointed.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Nope, but I also have an LG C7. I think a 4K OLED set will last me for at least a few more years. :messenger_tongue:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Supposedly the C9 has better graded panels than the B9, but I don't really know what that means, since my B7A looks breathtaking. That;s what I was told by Robert Zohn.

The B-series is definitely the cheapest of the LG OLEDs, but it's rated quite well at rtings.com and I seriously doubt anyone who gets one will be disappointed.

Yeah some at the avforums seems to think that b and c use the same pool of panels and the E series, Panasonic and Sony oled get the better pool of panels.

I wonder if it makes more sense to go with qled for better longevity and more consistently in there panel quality.

Kagey K

Banned
If your TV is still working, it might be best to wait until next year. Unless you are willing to fork out the cash many of the entry level TVs next year are going to have the features high end models do now.

It’s always a gamble with TVs but the longer you wait the cheaper they get.

Yes but next Black Friday. No point getting one now. Wait another year to see what's on offer just before next gen. That's what Spock would do.

If your TV is still working, it might be best to wait until next year. Unless you are willing to fork out the cash many of the entry level TVs next year are going to have the features high end models do now.

It’s always a gamble with TVs but the longer you wait the cheaper they get.

this could be said every year. eventually you gotta pull the trigger

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
OH! I bit the bullet and bought the C9 last weekend at Costco. It is absolutely amazing. It's not light years better than my B7A (which I am gonna sell to a friend), but it is a bit better.

The motion handling is much much much better for film content. As the a9 processor allow for motion interpolation without introducing the soap opera effect at the "Clear" setting. I feel that I am well set for next gen. The only source of frustration I am having is the between Low or High for HDMI Black when using PS4. One setting crushes the blacks, but non-blacks look better. The other setting makes the blacks not crush, but washes out. Im still tweaking that one. Im going to leave it at the setting that doesn't crush blacks and just tweak the ingame settings it looks like.

I also upgraded my audio to an Atmos/DTS:X setup. I initially wanted to wait until receivers could do HDMI 2.1 passthrough, but those aren't coming until next year. Instead, I bought the Sony DH790 for $200 (normally $350 not high end but good enough for a small apartment) at BB, which offers eARC. As such I will run my next consoles directly into the C9 itself and my 4K bluray player and 4K FireTV directly into the receiver. Great setup all around. I also plan to experiment with running the PC into my OLED. Still trying to tweak the sound as dialogue is hard to hear without turning it up too loud.

Last edited:

dilbag

I need to, I recently got married and my wises TV is a low end 1080. After going from my 4k HRD tv the 1080 feels like a massive eye sore. Im hoping to get a decent 4k HDR tv for the bedroom.

Lol first world problems I guess

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nah. i'm getting one early next year. don't need a 4K tv right now. won't need one early next year either but i don't want to have to buy a new 4K tv and a PS5 at the same time so will hold off as long as possible before buying a new TV.

Skyr

Nah, I’ll upgrade to a 65” C10 around next years Black Friday tho. Just in time for next gen.
Currently on a 55” C7.

xrnzaaas

Nope, getting one next year just before PS5 launches. My current one is old, but it's been working flawlessly and I don't need an extra one.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

OH! I bit the bullet and bought the C9 last weekend at Costco. It is absolutely amazing. It's not light years better than my B7A (which I am gonna sell to a friend), but it is a bit better.

The motion handling is much much much better for film content. As the a9 processor allow for motion interpolation without introducing the soap opera effect at the "Clear" setting. I feel that I am well set for next gen. The only source of frustration I am having is the between Low or High for HDMI Black when using PS4. One setting crushes the blacks, but non-blacks look better. The other setting makes the blacks not crush, but washes out. Im still tweaking that one. Im going to leave it at the setting that doesn't crush blacks and just tweak the ingame settings it looks like.

I also upgraded my audio to an Atmos/DTS:X setup. I initially wanted to wait until receivers could do HDMI 2.1 passthrough, but those aren't coming until next year. Instead, I bought the Sony DH790 for $200 (normally $350 not high end but good enough for a small apartment) at BB, which offers eARC. As such I will run my next consoles directly into the C9 itself and my 4K bluray player and 4K FireTV directly into the receiver. Great setup all around. I also plan to experiment with running the PC into my OLED. Still trying to tweak the sound as dialogue is hard to hear without turning it up too loud.
RGB full=hdmi black level high. RGB limited or ycbcr=hdmi black level low.

NahaNago

I'm waiting for some time next year. It won't really be anything fancy , I just want something bigger than the 55 inch I have right now. Aiming for 70 inch tv next year.

Ulysses 31

It's set to Automatic and like I said, neither one gives me perfection.
PS4 itself also has a setting for full or limited RGB, did you make sure both the C9 and PS4 use the same setting?

Both my QLED and PS4 Pro are on auto and that uses the full RGB setting with good blacks.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

It's set to Automatic and like I said, neither one gives me perfection.
Then you might need to adjust settings on the tv or the source. Low is 16-235 (rgb limited and ycbcr) high is 0-255 (rgb full). I would never suggest auto either. It's better to manually set it. If you have a mismatch settings you will either get mega black crush (source sending out full range but tv set to hdmi black level low) or a washed out image with grey blacks (tv hdmi black level high and source sending out limited range)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Then you might need to adjust settings on the tv or the source. Low is 16-235 (rgb limited and ycbcr) high is 0-255 (rgb full). I would never suggest auto either. It's better to manually set it. If you have a mismatch settings you will either get mega black crush (source sending out full range but tv set to hdmi black level low) or a washed out image with grey blacks (tv hdmi black level high and source sending out limited range)
Auto is the only way to get 422 in HDR mode unless that has changed

It's not likely to go any lower than what it is right now, until closeouts for next years models.

What does that 65 inch go for in the states, in my country it goes for about 2k usd, hoping i can get if for 1500$. I just want a oled with 2.1 hdmi for next gen, do you advice for me to wait until next year?

GymWolf

I did my part during last year black friday.

A beatiful panasonic 55fz800e for less than 1500 euros.

Last edited:
Top Bottom