• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here ever been mugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

one time in times square like 5 years ago.

it was the day of the yankee parade so my friend had a couple newspapers in his hand. a group of thugs walk up to us and one of them tell my friend "give me your stack" so my friend hands him the newspapers. hes like "NO MOTHER FUCKER YOUR MONEY AND YOUR WALKMAN". so my friend hands him like 5 dollars and his walkman (after he took out the batteries :lol )

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kinesis, an honest question: how far would you have gone to get something out of someone? I'm just wondering when someone goes and threatens someone else in a mugging situation, how much of it is bluff and how much of it is real? I know not everyone's the same, but for you..?

If someone said "no" would you have really brought yourself to forcing it?

Drozmight

Yeah, once. I was just walking late one night (real late actually) and some dude just comes up behind me, demands my wallet, so I gave him my three credit cards (bank card, bon marche' card and a visa card) that I keep in my pocket stuck together with a rubberband. I never carry cash or an actual wallet. He demanded my cash, but I didn't have any and he took off. Sucker. Actually thought he was gonna stab me cause I didn't have any cash. so it was kinda of tense there for a second.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I never had to resort to any type of extreme violence.
I'm 5'8 and very stocky I have an intimidating look voice and demeanor.
I'm not a cruel person though I just look like one.
That look helped me, I was raised around this type of stuff I seen it happen all my life.
I was stabbed from a childhood mugging so I didn't want to hurt anyone.

I just said don't move I'm armed, never revealed it to the couple except one.
There were 3 instances.
People are scared in this situation and generally co-operative.
You just tell them not to move with threats if they move an elbow to the spine is good enough. To squash any attempt of self defense, which you can't blame them.

Anything can happen in this situation I think I was more scared inside then these individuals to be honest. They to could be armed so you have to be ready.
If the wrong person sees it you could be shot no questions asked.
You never let them go into there pocket you, pocket them and leave always watching them telling them not to move.

You need a backpack with a change of clothes
bandana, or sweat shirt to cover your face
or big hoody to conceal your face in darkness.

But really it's something I felt bad about reliving last night so today and forever this is the last I will speak on this subject.

Odnetnin

Banned
Yes.

I was walking home after uni one night. Druggie came up and trailed me. Threatened to stab me with a knife if I didn't give him my wallet.

I had $600 (rent) and had not slept in 2 days.

He was a bit shorter so I jumped him and punched the fucker.

He ran off and I found a stick and chased him before deciding it wasn't worth it.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I'm moving to brooklyn soon,
I wonder since I'll be relying on the subway if someone will try to mug me for my PSP that I will have by then.
I'd hand it over and put a slug in there back then pick it up and dust it off.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Everyone should be armed and utilize there right to bear arms.
PSP with you or not.
There are a lot of people walking around strapped so you should be as well.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Nope.

To quote a certain somebody...

And if you free tomorrow night we can meet and discuss price /
FYI, I never been robbed in my life

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've never been mugged, but I did get robbed at gunpoint while at work once. This happened back in 1999 during my first semester of college; I was 18 at the time and working the afternoon shift until 9pm with my manager.

It was a pretty quiet day at work and had one final the next day, but it was for my English class and it was just writing; nothing to study so I went to work. Now, the store had been robbed before, but never like this. We had a problem with break-ins, and finally got a metal gate set-up for all the windows. (The last of these robberies was actually hilarious since apparently a big fat man broke the glass in the morning right before the store opened, ran inside, and stole DRAGONBALL Z VIDEO TAPES. He couldn't get the register open and his blood was on the counter from trying to break it open.) I guess the thugs had a problem with this, so they took a more direct approach.

I was sitting right near the entrance to the store playing Beatmania on the demo TV and my manager was a few feet away at the computer on the internet. Suddenly these three teenages come in, one of them pulls out a pistol, and says to give us all the money, etc. I'm kind of out of it at this point, so I turn around, look at him, say "man, stop playing!" and turn back around resuming my game. :lol That's when I hear the pistol cock and I realize this is no joke.

The guy with the gun tells us to get down, give him our wallets, then he tells the other two guys (who seemed even more scared then we were) to get the games and take the money from the register. They took a bunch of Dreamcast games and the cash, and ran out. I was freaking out because without my wallet, I wouldn't be able to get back into my dorm (it contained the keycards for the parking deck and the building/dorm room) that night, but luckily my roommate was home and was about to come down to work to pick me up.

I got really lucky, however, as when the cops finally showed up, they found my wallet lying on the ground right outside the store with everything still inside! My manager wasn't so lucky but I don't think he had any cash on him, so he just had to cancel his cards. The worst part of all this was that I was visibly shaken afterwards (when it was happening it didn't even hit me; everything went so fast) and still had to go to class the next day to take my final.

We hired a security guard after that for the holiday season, but nothing else happened. Can't say I ever felt safe with those guards anyway; most of them were pretty messed up in their own unique ways, but that's a different story entirely.

The store has had one more robbery since that time; I think it was a year or two ago when my co-worker was robbed at gunpoint by a lone robber who took the cash again. I'm not as worried anymore, however, since an EB Games opened across the street. Those guys have been robbed by more "professional" types at least 4 times already, holding them up with automatic weapons, hitting any customers in the store on the back of the head to knock them out, making all the employees load up their TRUCKS with inventory through the back room, etc. We pretty much figure why would they bother with our tiny crappy store full of used games when they can keep hitting the corporate store filled with new stuff? :p

COCKLES

being watched
KyotoMecca said:
I was mugged once. I have these nightmares being mugged a lot more these days since I've had a PSP on me!

That's the problem with PSP....I can imagine Japan being a safe place to play it....but honestly, I can't imagine using it in public on tube / buses in cities like London.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Lyte Edge said:
I've never been mugged, but I did get robbed at gunpoint while at work once. This happened back in 1999 during my first semester of college; I was 18 at the time and working the afternoon shift until 9pm with my manager.

It was a pretty quiet day at work and had one final the next day, but it was for my English class and it was just writing; nothing to study so I went to work. Now, the store had been robbed before, but never like this. We had a problem with break-ins, and finally got a metal gate set-up for all the windows. (The last of these robberies was actually hilarious since apparently a big fat man broke the glass in the morning right before the store opened, ran inside, and stole DRAGONBALL Z VIDEO TAPES. He couldn't get the register open and his blood was on the counter from trying to break it open.) I guess the thugs had a problem with this, so they took a more direct approach.

I was sitting right near the entrance to the store playing Beatmania on the demo TV and my manager was a few feet away at the computer on the internet. Suddenly these three teenages come in, one of them pulls out a pistol, and says to give us all the money, etc. I'm kind of out of it at this point, so I turn around, look at him, say "man, stop playing!" and turn back around resuming my game. :lol That's when I hear the pistol cock and I realize this is no joke.

The guy with the gun tells us to get down, give him our wallets, then he tells the other two guys (who seemed even more scared then we were) to get the games and take the money from the register. They took a bunch of Dreamcast games and the cash, and ran out. I was freaking out because without my wallet, I wouldn't be able to get back into my dorm (it contained the keycards for the parking deck and the building/dorm room) that night, but luckily my roommate was home and was about to come down to work to pick me up.

I got really lucky, however, as when the cops finally showed up, they found my wallet lying on the ground right outside the store with everything still inside! My manager wasn't so lucky but I don't think he had any cash on him, so he just had to cancel his cards. The worst part of all this was that I was visibly shaken afterwards (when it was happening it didn't even hit me; everything went so fast) and still had to go to class the next day to take my final.

We hired a security guard after that for the holiday season, but nothing else happened. Can't say I ever felt safe with those guards anyway; most of them were pretty messed up in their own unique ways, but that's a different story entirely.

The store has had one more robbery since that time; I think it was a year or two ago when my co-worker was robbed at gunpoint by a lone robber who took the cash again. I'm not as worried anymore, however, since an EB Games opened across the street. Those guys have been robbed by more "professional" types at least 4 times already, holding them up with automatic weapons, hitting any customers in the store on the back of the head to knock them out, making all the employees load up their TRUCKS with inventory through the back room, etc. We pretty much figure why would they bother with our tiny crappy store full of used games when they can keep hitting the corporate store filled with new stuff? :p

!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is freaking crazy sir - what city are you in???

I've never been mugged. Though I did get my ass kicked once for allegedly stealing four cellphones. Me and a friend was invited to a private party. We didn't stay for long. There was a group of guys who all were a couple of years older than us and some of them kept eyeballing me. Anyways my friend had a bag of weed on him, so we went to a parkinglot nearby. 20 minutes later 10 of those guys shows up at the parkinglot. This obnoxious idiot somehow finds four cellphones on the ground nearby claiming we stole them. I'm high so I don't really know what's going on. Out of the blue, that's how I experienced it anyways, they all jump my buddy. He was on the ground and they were all kicking him. I don't know why, but I just ran towards them and grabbed the obnoxious idiot and started punching his face. I somehow get up and see eight guys looking at me and my friend is nowhere to be seen. A couple of guys attacks me, but I one of their jackets and pulls the guy with me. I end up on the ground and out of the corner of my eye I see this brick so I grab it. I'm pretty sure it was good weed, because when I looked at what I got in my hand, all I could see was a freakin' pine cone. I throw it at them and starts laughing. They all kicked the shit out of me. I didn't get hurt too bad though.

I did manage to catch one of them a couple of years later. Me and a friend beat him and his friend up and threw rocks at his car.

KiNeSiS said:
Everyone should be armed and utilize there right to bear arms.
PSP with you or not.
There are a lot of people walking around strapped so you should be as well.
So we should buy guns because other people have them? Why not stop producing guns?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reasonably sure I have been mugged, I was very drunk though and my only recollection is of walking into my driveway wearing no shoes and missing my wallet, I was also covered in mud. My ass didn't hurt so I figured it was a mugging.

I have also had the crap beat out of me in an alleyway by a surely owner of a bar. that guy lost his job and has to see me in court now. Don't run a bar when you have a methamphetamine problem kids.

nope hassled a few times by the scum that lives in Northern Ireland. Having longish hair attracts wankers its true. Still i think it helps being 6ft2 would be better if I had muscles though

KiNeSiS

Banned
catfish said:
I'm reasonably sure I have been mugged, I was very drunk though and my only recollection is of walking into my driveway wearing no shoes and missing my wallet, I was also covered in mud. My ass didn't hurt so I figured it was a mugging.

I have also had the crap beat out of me in an alleyway by a surely owner of a bar. that guy lost his job and has to see me in court now. Don't run a bar when you have a methamphetamine problem kids.

Damn son I think you got a drinking problem as for Jr. Trying to have guns banded pssst REPUBLICAN CONSERVATIVE SKUM!!!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
KiNeSiS said:
Damn son I think you got a drinking problem

nah. time I got mugged was in my tertiary education days, everybody has a "got to drunk" story. As for the beat down by the bar owner (I meant surly, not surely) that guy was wired on speed and casually dressed, so I didn't realise he owned the place when I called him a cock.

darscot

I've never been in a situation were I felt even uncomfortable. I've been in some fairly seedy places around the world. Basically if your over six feet tall I think muggers look for easier game.

Joe

i remember being at an arcade in manhattan playing some game i dont even remember what it was. i look up in the reflection of the arcade cabinent window and i see a group of about 6 thugs standing directly behind me staring at me. i remember thinking to myself "im about to get stabbed".

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
RonaldoSan said:
I end up on the ground and out of the corner of my eye I see this brick so I grab it. I'm pretty sure it was good weed, because when I looked at what I got in my hand, all I could see was a freakin' pine cone. I throw it at them and starts laughing.

Sorry but....

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

S'what you get for doing drugs!

Iceman

darscot said:
I've never been in a situation were I felt even uncomfortable. I've been in some fairly seedy places around the world. Basically if your over six feet tall I think muggers look for easier game.

so, basically you mean me.

catfish, I remember you story. You were sloshed when you called that guy a cock. Probably didn't help your thinking process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom