• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone watching Key and Peele?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back at my first post in this thread, I still think this is the best sketch comedy show in a while. Everything in the latest episode had me in tears.

lunchtoast

iQQUfwjZJjBQQ.gif

Ah crud, I didn't know the new season started last night! checking tv listings now for a rerun

I love the D&D segment from last season

big ander

whoa, this premiere was insanely great. not a dud sketch in there, though the punchline on the reenactment one was just okay.

the best of all (just barely over the "obama footage") was the opening sketch. Hilarious idea, novel presentation with the music and lack of dialog, ran for the perfect amount of time.

Bread

Banned
Their football name sketch was hysterical, I was dying the whole time. I loved how they brought the Vandaveon and Mike characters in on the monologue part too, Peele's "nah that's stupid" laugh cracks me up.

big ander

Where my dookie go and the football names were hysterical. Oh, and the post-MLK speaker runner was awesome.

Dubstep one was about a year late, but whatever. The editing and camera movement were actually really cool. And I randomly and instantly recognized that apartment set as the one from Next Day Air starring Wood Harris and Donald Faison and Mos Def, which I'm pretty sure very few people saw. So, there's that.

Where my dookie go and the football names were hysterical. Oh, and the post-MLK speaker runner was awesome.

Dubstep one was about a year late, but whatever. The editing and camera movement were actually really cool. And I randomly and instantly recognized that apartment set as the one from Next Day Air starring Wood Harris and Donald Faison and Mos Def, which I'm pretty sure very few people saw. So, there's that.

Camera work on this show is so good. Here's the dubstep while packing skit for those that haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrRdrgICL_8&feature=youtu.be&t=50s

big ander

Camera work on this show is so good. Here's the dubstep while packing skit for those that haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrRdrgICL_8&feature=youtu.be&t=50s
it really is. Outside of the sketches even; I like the way the stage has slightly changed this year. It's lower and if I recall correctly, the camera is craning less. Mostly just focusing on Key and Peele, who are closer to the audience now. it's a better feel.

related to the direction of the show: after I tweeted about that being the Next Day Air set the director of key and peele noticed and favorited it, haha. he must be a fan of the movie too.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

I really enjoyed this episode.

This week's episode was killer. What is it with "urban" people and pluralizing names, like Liam Neasons? I could never figure that out. Also, a lot of my friends growing up would turn establishment names into possessives, e.g. "Yo, let's go to Subway's." Where does this come from?

Hmm, thought this episode was pretty damn close to god awful. The Liam thing was about as funny as an icebreaker skit thought up in 20 minutes. The Luther segment completely missed the mark, and I really think that skit just needs to go away - as it is generally one of the least funny. The Chris Brown/Rhianna was okay, but very late. I can't even remember anything else, and I just watched it 2 hours ago.

The Rambo/action movie sketch was really funny.

Interestingly enough, they're funniest when they don't necessarily do racial stuff. They don't really have the edge that Chappelle had but are still funny guys in general.

big ander

Heh funny, pizza order was one of the ones that didn't work for me. I get what you mean about them playing their characters well though. I loved how subtly deep their acting was in the dog sketch. Jordan's amount of accent was perfect.
That episode had more duds than I normally like to see in an episode of K&P, but it also felt like it had a lot more sketches overall. So it was about the same number of laughs. Loved Fronthand/Backhand and Ricky Martin.
K so this is the only time I have seen this show...but damn was this sketch just weird and hilarious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbj8BBsWSA&list=PL83DDC2327BEB616D&index=4&feature=plpp_video
You should check out more of the show, it's way underrated. Here are two of my favorite sketches:
East/West College Bowl
I Said Bitch

Dereck

Heh funny, pizza order was one of the ones that didn't work for me. I get what you mean about them playing their characters well though. I loved how subtly deep their acting was in the dog sketch. Jordan's amount of accent was perfect.
That episode had more duds than I normally like to see in an episode of K&P, but it also felt like it had a lot more sketches overall. So it was about the same number of laughs. Loved Fronthand/Backhand and Ricky Martin.

You should check out more of the show, it's way underrated. Here are two of my favorite sketches:
East/West College Bowl
I Said Bitch
Cool opinion, I see what you mean. Keep up the opinions, thread isn't bumped enough really.

big ander

hahah yeah this one was amazing. It's the little things on this show: maribeth monroe looking so believable as a former pop star turned judge, jordan's amazing costume wig teeth and accent, keegan's kicking motion when they bring the next dancer out. And finally "she blind." that's why this show is so good, because while the sketch concepts in and of themselves are hit or miss (as they are in nearly all sketch shows), keegan and jordan nearly always nail the details. So when everything's good, it's really good.

- Onion A|V Club: The stars of Key & Peele talk about staying relevant, and funny, in season 2
Weekly sketch shows don’t have it easy. For starters, Saturday Night Live has been running for so long that every show will inevitably be compared to it. But in its second season on Comedy Central, Key & Peele makes the process and output feel effortless. Keegan Michael Key and Jordan Peele, both alums of MADtv, have a palpable rapport both onscreen and off, and manage to blend timely material (their Obama-Luther sketches, where Key plays Obama’s “anger translator”) with ideas that riff on pop-culture tropes and pure silliness. There’s a lot riding on the success of the in-progress second season: Key & Peele looks to be a legitimate ratings success for Comedy Central, a network generally apprehensive about giving things the long shot. In the midst of a whirlwind press tour between all the presidential debates—the show films Obama-Luther sketches the day after, and puts them online immediately—The A.V. Club sat down with Key and Peele to talk about Obama’s mythos, their envious work relationship, and why Key’s name comes first.

Dereck

One of the few shows that has such an equal amount of hits and misses, yet keeps me interested enough to want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom