• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma in EDGE: Zelda Wii U won't be open world the same way other games are.

It's probably open in the sense that the progression isn't fixed. Like ALBW. Zelda games have traditionally had open overworlds, so i don't see why that would be any different. Their intention is likely to mix up how dungeons are accessed.

I don't care either way, i'll play it and i'll love it regardless.

RAWi

Maybe in the sense that there will be no emptiness, and there will be reward in about every corner you search at... I hope.

I don't like to wait D:

So Aonuma said "Zelda will be open world"
Then later Aonuma said "wait Zelda will be open world, but not in the way you are used to open world."

So basically Aonuma used a cool catch phrase to generate excitement and now he is telling us that the catch phrase will mean whatever he wants it to mean and he will tell us what he means later on?

The games that exist currently and are lumped together under that catchphrase aren't exactly the same either. The term is already vague to begin with.

Kriken

Sounds to me like it's just a simple "Our open world is structured in our unique way"

I've been hoping for something similar to ALBW on a larger scale where you have the resources to do almost what you want when you want.

Evilmaus

I'm not going to jump to conclusions over this statement.

It's incredibly vague, so I'm happy to just wait for more details.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So Aonuma said "Zelda will be open world"
Then later Aonuma said "wait Zelda will be open world, but not in the way you are used to open world."

So basically Aonuma used a cool catch phrase to generate excitement and now he is telling us that the catch phrase will mean whatever he wants it to mean and he will tell us what he means later on?

Aonuma never wanted to call Zelda Wii U open world, but he used the term because it was the closest term he found to call it.

They might as well keep talking about this game hoping that the hype will eventually spread to non-nintendo hardcore types. It is their last great hope. Regardless, I'm preordering.

Every fucking detail about this game is either vague or reworded later due to confusion. I wish I could get some concrete info but I guess it's nowhere near that.

That kinda diminishes my hype.

This has the opposite effect on me. The concept of open world has lead to a system where all you have are just a copy and past design just a minor change in scenery. We need less GTA and Ubisoft type open world games and I am glad Nintendo isn't going down the low hanging fruit route.

Volotaire

Sounds like it'll be open world in the vein of Wind Waker/Skyshit Sword, e.g. a very wide & open hub world that you use to get to all the isolated, scripted areas.

Wind Waker is already near what we need, except there isn't nearly enough content, too much replicate content and poor incentive rewards. Skyward Sword was even poorer in this respect with the hub world.

This quote could mean anything, but they've said repeatedly this isn't a true open world. This is bound to happen since Zelda focuses on tighter level deign and a set inventory of items.

I foresee a less linear ALBW style game i.e. the early Zelda games that takes no barriers to the extreme i.e. the world is a dungeon.

Guevara

My opinion of Aonuma has really soured. I wonder how long I'll have to wait until someone else is in charge of Zelda.

Good. Don't copy other games, let Zelda be Zelda. Keep a sense of progression and pacing. Those who want aimless wandering can play Skyrim.

AdanVC

HYPE! Glad to know they are willing to implement something different and unique and not just putting Link in a huge field with mountains and call it done. Just imagine all the crazy stuff they will implement here! HNNNGHHSLDJKFHL.

Jackano

Someone need to make an update of this, with "It won't be open-world like you see in recent games"!

e37bedcb4fd06c564cdaabeef8f828b8.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sounds great to me. I really find it difficult to really enjoy open world games. I wouldn't want that in a Zelda game.

I know the design is immensely popular right now, but it's just not my cup of tea.
I like tighter, better-designed experiences. Sandboxes bore me, there usually isn't enough reward/consequence to keep my interest. And it makes story telling and lore building more difficult.

Looking forward to seeing how the Nintendo Magic* shakes it up.

Hopefully this means that means there will not be (too many) fetch quests or follow X to Y events. Infamous 1 was not a long game, but trying to complete everything makes it seem like it (not in a good way for me personally).

Molemitts

I'd take Metriodvania style world design over open world any day. Wish Zelda games would do that instead. Oh well, open world isn't that bad.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm thinking Aonuma means is:

In games like GTA or Skyrim, you can do a lot of things from the get go, but to advance the story, the main story, it's always the same thing, go there, do that.

I'm thinking that in Zelda Wii U, there will be multiple things you'll be able to do that will advance the main story.

It comes back to his other quote from a few months back that said: We don't want progress to be dictated by the number of dungeons the player cleared.

Of course i won't be GTA or Skyrim, it will be Zelda in an open world, the biggest comparison being the original zelda itself. Which i think it's better for zelda

Hopefully that means "You won't be playing the game from a mini map, following bright markers that pretty much just say: go to this place and do one of these 4 tasks/missions types"

Because uh... thats consistently my biggest gripe with open world game design.

No doubt, as soon as they said Zelda would be open world, I thought to myself "hmmm, I hope that means they think they have a new way to approach the genre/layout"

Ooh, more out of context Aonuma quotes that the fanbase blows up and then turns out to mean very little. It's been almost three months since the last time we did this!

Based on what? I mean, he's saying nothing at all there. It such a vague statement that all you could possibly do is jump to conclusions that might or might not be right.

This.

He gave next to zero information before hand to get hyped about, and he has done exactly nothing to change that lack of solid information.

Wow, a guy likes a game enough to use it for his avatar while simultaneously being heavily critical of its creator and its influence on its parent series? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE.

Wind Waker is a great feel good game, and got me through a pretty depressing time in my life. But that doesn't mean I can't think its design philosophy is a cancer for the series.

Ooh, more out of context Aonuma quotes that the fanbase blows up and then turns out to mean very little. It's been almost three months since the last time we did this!

Don't you remember how Aonuma lied about... well, he lied about something, I think, so this probably means that Zelda Wii Poo will be shit in the exact way that I am thinking about.

Or it means that Based Nintendo has finally figured out True Open World in a way that those stupid third parties (BLEH WHO NEEDS EM) never could

or it could mean literally anything ever

munchie64

I'm thinking Aonuma means is:

In games like GTA or Skyrim, you can do a lot of things from the get go, but to advance the story, the main story, it's always the same thing, go there, do that.

I'm thinking that in Zelda Wii U, there will be multiple things you'll be able to do that will advance the main story.

It comes back to his other quote from a few months back that said: We don't want progress to be dictated by the number of dungeons the player cleared.
See this is a fairly reasonable assumption based on past information. It won't necessarily be true, but it's better than blowing up over nothing.

So, does this infer:

1. Invisible walls?
2. Having to "unlock" new areas through linear objectives?
3. Sandboxed instancing?

Could mean anything, for better or worse.

cackhyena

Zelda has effectively to greater and lesser degrees done open world before. I'll wait for clarification. I don't think I'd want go anywhere/do anything open world Zelda.

I imagine it's an open world game just like what I'm expecting, only he wanted us to think of these wild ideas and possibilities only to come later "no you misunderstood my correction"

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Good. Too much freedom can lead to being directionless. ALBW suffered because the story grinded to a halt for the last 8 dungeons.

Molemitts

Skyward Sword played with that idea with repeat visits to existing areas with new items.

Except Skyward Sword was very linear going back to old areas just felt like backtracking. The verity of areas felt small, compared to a game like Dark Souls or Metriod Prime. The level design wasn't interconnected like those games either.

Well in keeping with all Zelda games, I'm assuming he means you won't just be able to go anywhere right off the bat, but you'll have to find specific items to progress into new areas of the overworld. I couldn't see it really working any other way honestly.

Top Bottom