• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ape Escape 2, Dark Cloud 2, and Twisted Metal: Black rated for PS4 in Europe

bluethree

PS classics are the main reason I chose a PS3 over a PS4 earlier this year, so this is good news. Might even get me to consider selling off my PS3 when it happens.

I know it's unlikely, but I really hope Sony are working on their own backwards compatibility solution. I have a few PS3 games I need to finish and if I could play them on PS4 that would be much better than setting up my PS3 every time I want to play.

Scrawnton

I know it's unlikely, but I really hope Sony are working on their own backwards compatibility solution. I have a few PS3 games I need to finish and if I could play them on PS4 that would be much better than setting up my PS3 every time I want to play.

I don't think we will ever see native PS3 emulation outside of PS Now. The PS3 architecture is just too drastically different compared to PS4. It's practically impossible.

androvsky

Very disappointing that they didn't talk about this (or a possible DC3). Guess our next hope is at PSX2015, which is in December... :x
PGW is more likely, otherwise they'll be announcing it after people get the Star Wars PS2 games from the Battlefront bundle.

Or they could announce it like they did with PS2 Classics on the PS3 and leave it in a footnote in a blog post about PS+.

LewieP

I think the broad selection of definitive editions is the best you can hope for there. A lot of the big hitters have already made it over, and I doubt that Sony are finished.

Obviously the more niche stuff, or stuff in limbo for licensing reasons are less likely to make it over, but there are native ports for a decent selection at least.

The odd ones will be the PS2 HD remasters. I'd much rather play an updated version of Bluepoint's excellent ICO & SOTC HD than play the original PS2 versions, even if they were running on an emulator that supported 1080p rendering. The improvements (such as in areas like framerate, or updated 2D assets) on bespoke HD rereleases are likely going to be preferable to running the same games through an emulator, even if the emulator provides it's own enhancements.

It's still early days for the PS4, but considering it was many of the PS2's biggest hits that got PS3 HD remasters, I doubt they'd want to put out inferior versions as PS2 Classics. Maybe once they've exhausted the selection of definitive editions they can put out from the PS3's library, they'll start looking at updating some of the PS2 HD collections.

Maybe Sony should just put a studio like Bluepoint or Hexadrive on a retainer to pump out as many of these as possible.

Cincaid

PGW is more likely, otherwise they'll be announcing it after people get the Star Wars PS2 games from the Battlefront bundle.

Or they could announce it like they did with PS2 Classics on the PS3 and leave it in a footnote in a blog post about PS+.

Or Paris Gaming Week.

Ah! Didn't even know about that event. Hope is back!

Look on the bright side; that would mean MORE PS2 classics coming to PS4 >=3

Yeah I guess so. :)

Tizoc

Hopefully it's available right after one of their next events :/

us psn rarely has had games added on days other than Tuesday for a while now though.
So this is either gonna be for Japan only for a while or revealed for next week, or for PSX 2015.

us psn rarely has had games added on days other than Tuesday for a while now though.
So this is either gonna be for Japan only for a while or revealed for next week, or for PSX 2015.

One of the few times they do update on a day that's not Tuesday is actually E3. If they make a big enough announcement at a conference, they are willing update the store to go along with it.

LewieP

If the upcoming rereleases of PS2 Star Wars games are part of a wider PS2 Classics on PS4 initiative, presumably we'll find out at least before their November 17th release date.

It's worth noting that included in the selection of games is a PS2 exclusive, and they are all games that have had a release on PSN previously, as PS2 Classics on PS3.

LewieP

isn't it the same for 360 - xb1?

No. The two main differences are the Xbox 360 using a PowerPC processor, which was not quite as fast as the PS3's Cell based processor, but is also a much simpler architecture, and has much wider use (whereas the Cell is barely used at all outside of Playstation devices). This meant it was much easier for Microsoft to put together a solution to get code designed to be ran on the 360's architecture running on the Xbox One.

The other difference is that the 360 used a shared pool of 512mb of ram for both the system ram and GPU, whereas the PS3 had 256mb of system ram and 256mb or GPU ram. The 360 ram was slower than the PS3 ram, but it gave devs more flexibility over how to use it. My understanding is that this makes things a little easier with regards to backwards compatibility, although I'm not entirely sure on the specifics.

Those are the two main hardware differences between the 360 and the PS3. My understanding is that Microsoft were able to license a solution for dynamic recompiling from PPC to x86, whereas for Sony they would likely have to assemble any solution entirely in house.

Fingers cross they will at least be able to do PS3 BC on the PS5 where the jump in processing capability should allow them to brute force it. If they stick with the x86 architecture, they'll probably be able to maintain PS4 bc too.

No. The two main differences are the Xbox 360 using a PowerPC processor, which was not quite as fast as the PS3's Cell based processor, but is also a much simpler architecture, and has much wider use (whereas the Cell is barely used at all outside of Playstation devices). This meant it was much easier for Microsoft to put together a solution to get code designed to be ran on the 360's architecture running on the Xbox One.

The other difference is that the 360 used a shared pool of 512mb of ram for both the system ram and GPU, whereas the PS3 had 256mb of system ram and 256mb or GPU ram. The 360 ram was slower than the PS3 ram, but it gave devs more flexibility over how to use it. My understanding is that this makes things a little easier with regards to backwards compatibility, although I'm not entirely sure on the specifics.

Those are the two main hardware differences between the 360 and the PS3. My understanding is that Microsoft were able to license a solution for dynamic recompiling from PPC to x86, whereas for Sony they would likely have to assemble any solution entirely in house.

Fingers cross they will at least be able to do PS3 BC on the PS5 where the jump in processing capability should allow them to brute force it. If they stick with the x86 architecture, they'll probably be able to maintain PS4 bc too.

Cell was PowerPC as well, actually. The trick was that Microsoft used three similar cores, but Sony used one big PowerPC core and the 7 SPEs, which were basically cores that could go very fast but only doing simple calculations. The issues with emulating the Cell aren't necessarily in emulating the main PowerPC core, but the 7 SPEs (which were clocked nearly twice as high as the Jaguar cores in the PS4).

This was posted on Reddit only to have it deleted pretty quickly. Usually if something is fake the mods will tag it as such.

GWq60zd.jpg

Lends credence to the rumor that PS2 games are coming?

This is about an hour old. Checking the app now I can't find it. I'm not home so I can't check the PS4 itself or Twitch if there is an archive or something.

This was posted on Reddit only to have it deleted pretty quickly. Usually if something is fake the mods will tag it as such.

GWq60zd.jpg

This is about an hour old. Checking the app now I can't find it. I'm not home so I can't check the PS4 itself or Twitch if there is an archive or something.
Live from playstation, eh? Means that we might be able to take screenshots and record video. Which is nice, seeing as PS1 games on the Vita don't let you do that.

Wiggy

I get excited whenever this thread is bumped

GWq60zd.jpg

Hope this is true, but this could be really easily faked right?

Edit: also, why would it say 'SCEA'?

I get excited whenever this thread is bumped

Hope this is true, but this could be really easily faked right?

Only possible way is photoshop since the PS4 automatically says what game you are streaming; can't have it say whatever game you want. I do recall some game appearing on there before it was announced before. Anyone remember?

GobFather

GWq60zd.jpg

Interesting :eek:

There are a few classic I would care to replay, but this would just be nice fan service at its finest. Psx is the best place for a b/c announcement.

Dsyndrome

If that's digital, Siren's an interesting choice, since it was remade on PS3. All about backwards compatibility though and all the implications that come with it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, I havent played the PS2 Silent Hill games not until now because Ive waited for BC, I hope they are included in the first wave (probably not, because Konami are idiots)

I need this confirmation so badly. There is a god damned mountain of PS2 games they could make available digitally over the course of this generation.

There are a few classic I would care to replay, but this would just be nice fan service at its finest. Psx is the best place for a b/c announcement.

There are people like me who never had a PS2 who will greatly benefit from this. Consider all the Nintendo/Xbox converts who have never played these games, who can now.

StoopKid

GWq60zd.jpg

Should create a new thread this is huge.

Human_me

I honestly believe that they will announce it at the Paris Playstation Event.

Hopefully they will announce disk compatibility but I wouldn't mind if they don't.
I would just buy all my favourites again anyway.

Shenmue

Banned
I dunno I still don't think this is happening. Just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Not enough people care about this to justify the costs.

If Sony could make the same amount of PS2 games available on PSN that there are PS1 games, and they brought them to the PS4, man... they'd rake in the monies. They'd be sitting on a gold mine. I assume there's something prohibiting them from doing that though based on the paltry offering of PS2 Classics on the PS3. Licensing red tape I'd imagine.

libregkd

I dunno I still don't think this is happening. Just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Not enough people care about this to justify the costs.
While I can agree with that in regards to allowing physical media to be used for BC, digital PS2 releases on the PS4 is just opening up another revenue stream and it'd be particularly enticing for certain people when you factor in it seems like PS2 classics on the PS4, unlike the PS3, have access to core PS4 functionality (Streaming, share button stuff, trophies, etc.).

So what happened with this? Nothing at PGW and nothing else since they got rated either. Everyone was excited for the inclusion of trophies in PS2 games what with those Star Wars games coming too. Wtf Sony?

So what happened with this? Nothing at PGW and nothing else since they got rated either. Everyone was excited for the inclusion of trophies in PS2 games what with those Star Wars games coming too. Wtf Sony?

Next stop PSX I guess. Seems like the kind of event that would be more appropriate for this kind of an announcement anyway.

Jawmuncher

Next stop PSX I guess. Seems like the kind of event that would be more appropriate for this kind of an announcement anyway.

But the Star Wars bundle in a few weeks apparently has BC games as part of its bundle.
Aside from Super Star Wars the last three are on PSN already. What was stated for them would fit with the upgrades we have been hearing about for PS2 classics (Trophies, graphics smoothing via emulation and what not)
large.jpg

DryvBy

I'm certain they're waiting for the end of the year at PSX myself. Hopefully, at least.

Jawmuncher

Wonder if they're going to do something similar to rare replay. If you own the above you can play them now, but everyone else will have to wait (minus the beta users). Since 360 BC worked in that way, aside from that it was announced beforehand.

But the Star Wars bundle in a few weeks apparently has BC games as part of its bundle.
Aside from Super Star Wars the last three are on PSN already. What was stated for them would fit with the upgrades we have been hearing about for PS2 classics (Trophies, graphics smoothing via emulation and what not)
large.jpg
Was it announced that you get them on release though? It could be like other similar promotions where you get them when they are ready (Gears of War games with the Gears game on XB1)

I want to believe PSX as well, but that email survey threw me for a loop. Sounds like they are considering everything in that email, so were they just trying to judge what people wanted most and dole them out accordingly?
Why not just do it all at once? Seemed like common sense additions.

Top Bottom