• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ape Escape 2, Dark Cloud 2, and Twisted Metal: Black rated for PS4 in Europe

My disdain of PSnow lies mainly with it being a subscription service. The underlying technology is fine for future applications across multiple devices but Sony needs to move to a model where you simply stream titles you own. Gamers simply don't want a rental service. Native BC for PSX and PS2 titles with streaming PS3 titles that you buy individually is where the future is - at least until there is hardware that can run PS3 games by itself with no streaming involved. The part Sony cannot currently get past is that people aren't paying for the service in any numbers worth having.

Got any proof of that. I rented games all the time back in the day. People who want to own stuff are a minority in today's world. Convenience is what matters most.

Got any proof of that. I rented games all the time back in the day. People who want to own stuff are a minority in today's world. Convenience is what matters most.

You are comparing two different things entirely. Renting an individual title and a subscription service are different but thanks for the weak play at a semantics argument.

what you want and what PSNow's attempting to do aren't related. So keep your expectations in check and you'll find yourself less frustrated in life.

If Sony felt that PSnow was a roaring success we would have numbers being tossed at us left and right. The fact that numbers aren't out there is very telling in the games industry. We also wouldn't have rumors of PS2 games coming to the PS4 for individuals to purchase currently on this board if the subscription model was doing gangbusters. My expectations appear to be right.

PSNow is not a sub service though. You can rent games individually.

Less costly then it used to be at blockbuster. Was 5.99 or 7.99 for 5 days there. Usually 4.99 for 7 days on now. And no worry that your rented game disc will be scratched up and not work. Which was a constant issue with Blockbuster rentals

Good.

Now, I want PS3 backwards compatibility, Sony. Sick of hearing my PS3 Jet Engine taking off into orbit every time I want to play PS3 games. PS3 Backwards Compatibility. Do it, I know you're reading this and will do it, so DOOOO IT.

Shin-chan

Keeping my expectations in check for now, but this will be amazing if it offers disc compatibility (I love my PS2 collection and would expand it further) or the full range of classics currently available on PS3. Either way, I want to replay SMT Nocturne and DQ8 on my PS4!

Branson

In keeping my expectations in check, I'm just expecting a few PS2 Titles.

My hype expectations want PS1 and PS2 classics all available. Like the PS3.

prwxv3

My disdain of PSnow lies mainly with it being a subscription service. The underlying technology is fine for future applications across multiple devices but Sony needs to move to a model where you simply stream titles you own. Gamers simply don't want a rental service. Native BC for PSX and PS2 titles with streaming PS3 titles that you buy individually is where the future is - at least until there is hardware that can run PS3 games by itself with no streaming involved. The part Sony cannot currently get past is that people aren't paying for the service in any numbers worth having.

Do you have the subscription numbers?

autoduelist

If Sony felt that PSnow was a roaring success we would have numbers being tossed at us left and right. The fact that numbers aren't out there is very telling in the games industry. We also wouldn't have rumors of PS2 games coming to the PS4 for individuals to purchase currently on this board if the subscription model was doing gangbusters. My expectations appear to be right.

What? Selling games direct to console owners is a different market than PSNow even aims for. It makes absolute sense to have both at the same time - allowing console owners to buy classics right alongside allowing devices (any capable) to rent/sub to PSNow.

One does not replace the other. They are separate markets, aimed at different demographics. Claiming Classics coming to PS4 is a sign PSNow isn't doing well represents only a misunderstanding of what PSNow is.

I'm not claiming PSNow is doing good (or bad) -- I have no idea. But you're trying to prove it's doing bad using both the absence of information (fallacious) as well as bad market logic. If you don't have numbers, you don't have numbers.

EDIT - additionally, it's worth noting PSNow is a 'long game'. It almost certainly doesn't have great numbers... but that's mostly because the major devices which have it are Sony gaming devices... which aren't necessarily the long term primary market since people who own Sony gaming devices can already play the content directly. Once the tech is tried and true, and it starts getting into more Smart TVs, Hotels, etc, then we'll know how it's doing.

They were planning PS2 BC before the official launch of PSNow.

here are the first rumblings of BC, back on 03/25/2014

PSNow was officially released on January 13, 2015

So they had this planned well before PSNow was rolled out.

And that makes sense as BC and PSnow offer two different things to different groups of people with different goals in mind.

Keep painting this narrative to try and justify your attitude towards PSNow, there's some weird confirmation bias happening here regarding the impending announcement of some sort of BC coming and your need for PSNow to not do well

They were planning PS2 BC before the official launch of PSNow.

here are the first rumblings of BC, back on 03/25/2014

PSNow was officially released on January 13, 2015

So they had this planned well before PSNow was rolled out.

And that makes sense as BC and PSnow offer two different things to different groups of people with different goals in mind.

Keep painting this narrative to try and justify your attitude towards PSNow, there's some weird confirmation bias happening here regarding the impending announcement of some sort of BC coming and your need for PSNow to not do well

You began with personal attacks. Why should I even bother addressing you?

They better be bringing the Classics line to PS4, not just selling the same games again. That would be a break with their past history. But I've been worried since the announcement of FF7 PC version release getting re-re-released...

Eggbok

If the rumor was true I understand why it took so long. The rumor was these will have trophy support and run in native 1080p

I wonder if those Star Wars games coming with the Darth Vader PS4 are related to this ordeal. Especially since Bounty Hunter and the rest of those Star Wars games are getting a visual upgrade and trophies.

Finalow

Possible PS1 and PS2 classics for the PS4?

m6a9L.gif
seriously this. please be real.

Suzzopher

I wonder if we'll see more Super Famicom/SNES games announced too? With Super Star Wars on the way I'd like to think other 3rd parties would be jumping on this.

Pennywise

By the way.
All 3 ratings are GONE now.
Despite PEGI still having the message on twitter.
Ratings on the page are gone.

Kinda weird.

Faenix1

Please let this be true.

Been wanting to replay Dark Cloud 1/2 for years. I'd prefer 1 but I'll take what I can get.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My BC PS3 has a faulty disc drive, so I would be all over DC2 on the PS4.

I'm hoping this is real, and opens the door for more PS2 Classics, and PS1 Classics, to show up on the PS4.

I don't know why people continually bring this up as if it's even remotely realistic. Why would Sony let you buy a game and then use their servers to play it indefinitely for free? It's not like those servers are (relatively) simple Amazon, Azure or whatever, they're custom built servers basically made up of PS3 hardware. A subscription model just makes far more sense.

By the way.
All 3 ratings are GONE now.
Despite PEGI still having the message on twitter.
Ratings on the page are gone.

Kinda weird.

Isn't it pretty common for ratings boards to hide listings for unannounced games?

I would love for Sony to unveil PS2 BC tonight at the TGS conference, but the timing and venue make Paris Game Week seem the more likely choice. A uniquely selected venue for a major conference and just a few weeks prior to Star Wars Battlefront launching with some PS2 game in tow.

Actually, did they specify that the PS2 games were gonna be available day and date with Battlefront, or is it just that they will be free when available if you get the bundle?

Anyway, I think PS1 and PS2 support would at least be somewhat important news for the Japanese market since so many of the best Japanese games came from those catalogs. So maybe TGS would work as well.

I'm just rambling now because I'm excited at the prospect of enhanced PS2 games on my PS4. That kinda news would be worth staying up till 4 in the morning.

Pennywise

Isn't it pretty common for ratings boards to hide listings for unannounced games?

No idea.
Not so familar with PEGI, USK on the other hand has them every once in a while, even for unannouced titles.

Was just suprised that they made them visible first, must be a mistake than.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DUDE. DARK. CLOUD. 2.

Max and Monica are coming back on PS4 folks! THINK ABOUT IT

Developers can be creative about how trophies are earned and when they pop. For example, in The Last of Us, no trophies can be earned during your first playthrough, so you don't see any trophy notifications.

Could you not get a trophy for shiv doors, finding all collectibles, optional conversations, all Ellie's jokes? You can if you try, but you might not want to on the first attempt...

kyser73

If you go back and listen to the initial announcement about PSNow you'd see that from the outset it was going to be a PS3 title service. IIRC House's words were along the lines of 'The cutting edge will always be on the console, but we want to open up the PS3 library to people regardless of platform.' which is why the app is now appearing on TVs and the like.

The other thing you seem to be missing is that this service isn't aimed at the core gaming audience.

Cincaid

Very disappointing that they didn't talk about this (or a possible DC3). Guess our next hope is at PSX2015, which is in December... :x

Top Bottom