• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ape Escape 2, Dark Cloud 2, and Twisted Metal: Black rated for PS4 in Europe

kevin1025

Banned
Based of the PS3 launch of the feature, it will most likely be a modest selection of titles (likely those already available on PS3 as it). Most of times, publishers (or SCE) have to re-register the trademarks or renew the rating for these games, in certain cases due to copyrights on musics, voices or just because of the evolutive nature of the Rating Board (new factors, new conditions, etc).

That's true. I'm hoping that since the rumor was quite a while back, that this has been in development for a while and we get a pretty good launch line-up of fifteen or so games to start with, and then maybe a couple a week from then onward. I'm likely hoping for too much, though.

F4r0_Atak

Never thought this would happen. I am very curious to see if Dark Cloud 2 has aged alright. This better not be PSNow

If this was bound to PS Now, I don't think they (publishers and SCE) would need to renew the rating of these games. So... do the math! :p

While any PS1 or PS2 support is awesome, I am gonna hold on to hope that they will have disc support as well.

It seems to work out just fine for PS1 games on PS3, and they really wouldn't be likely to lose out on a substantial amount of sales given that digital classics are typically priced so much better than old physical copies.

Either way, I'm excited for potentially enhanced Ape Escape and Dark Cloud on my PS4.

RK128

As I have never played any of the three games, I would LOVE to dive into Ape Escape 2 (loved the PSP remake of the original) and Dark Cloud 2 (heard great things about it) :D!

I hope this means that every PS2 Classic on PS3 (own a few like SMT: Nocturne, Persona 3 FES, Rayman 2 Revolution, ect) is supported on PS4 when this offically launches :). And with PS2 emulation coming soon, I hope this leads to PS1 emulation coming soon after (own ALOT of PS1 games to play on PS4 XD!).

This is great news and I hope we learn more about this either at the TGS show tonight/tomorrow morning and/or Paris Games Show in a few weeks :).

Come on sony, just release ps1/ps2 BC for PS4 already. The system's more than capable of handling it.

I think that Sony is added a lot to the PS1 and PS2 emulators for there PS4 launch. That could explain why it has taken so long for PS1/PS2 games to be playable on PS4; adding native 1080p and trophy support features on top of PS1/PS2 games has to be a lot of work, so either that is still happening (thus explaining the long time these games are passing to be on PS4) or they are just giving more options for emulators (more smoothing options and filters, screen shots, streaming support, custom controls, ect).

OnFire331

Never thought this would happen. I am very curious to see if Dark Cloud 2 has aged alright. This better not be PSNow

I do a playthrough every two or three years. I played it last year, and I think it's aged pretty well. It's easily Level-5's best game.

jayu26

There is too much smoke about PS1/2 classics coming to PS4. There is smoke about trophy support in classics as well. Exciting times ahead.

RK128

Would PS4 emulation offer more than just 'smoothing'??

The emulator should do the following in my eyes:
-Support all PS4 OS features (streaming, screen shots, share play, remote play, ect)
-Smoothing options
-Graphical Filters
-Resolution options (through they might detract from the games performance on a game-per-game basis)
-Custom Control options
-3D Support (handful of games like Sly 3)

Toli08

See this is the kind of backwards compatibility I want. Personally I could care less about ps3 backwards compatibility. There are so many ps2 games I would like to check out that I couldn't back in the day.

It's very important to people. People like the meta-game and it's fine, but people will typically try out games with trophy support.

Interesting, I really wasn't aware it was such a driving force. I figured pure nostalgia would beat it out for profitability. I'd be curious to see the data comparing the two if it existed. I still say just getting the games out as quickly as possible is more important to me than having all the extra bits like sharing and trophies, and I'm a guy who does enjoy trophies to an extent.

Ultima_5

If this is true I hope they give an option to use my old ps1/2 disc also. I'd still buy some digitally if/when they come (persona, RPGs mostly)

DryvBy

Interesting, I really wasn't aware it was such a driving force. I figured pure nostalgia would beat it out for profitability. I'd be curious to see the data comparing the two if it existed. I still say just getting the games out as quickly as possible is more important to me than having all the extra bits like sharing and trophies, and I'm a guy who does enjoy trophies to an extent.

I'm all about both trophies and nostalgia. I love trophies a lot. In the sense that I have Twisted Metal Black and played a lot of it back in the PS2 days, but I'd probably buy it again with trophies (as well as streaming/screenshots - even though I could just do this on my PC).

But there's some people who will buy games just because they have trophies. Trophies/achievements and stuff like that are sellers, I think. And I don't think every trophy is too complex to add. There's an emulator out that supports NES/SNES/Genesis and such that has their own achievement system from the community. I've looked into doing it myself for a few games and it seems to be pretty easy to code these things. Note: I have very little coding experience.

Shin-Ra

Mildly exciting if games are rendered as they were originally.

Very exciting if they're rendered at 1080 vertical pixels at least.

LewieP

I don't really understand why anyone wants trophies added to old games.

But then I don't really understand the appeal of trophies in any games, and they even detract from immersion in many cases.

Certainly given the choice between getting old games available for PS4 and getting fewer games available for PS4 but with trophies, it would be no contest.

Visual enhancements (presumably limited to higher resolution rendering) are a different matter, it would be great to get games running at 1080p.

But then I don't really understand the appeal of trophies in any games, and they even detract from immersion in many cases.

Usually, the reason I like trophies/achivements is because is the only thing that keeps track of all the games you have played and what you have actually accomplished within them. Usually my friends always BS me, when they say they have beaten such game at a high difficulty and all I have to do is look at their trophy list to see if they tell the truth XD. It is also a fun way to see what your friends have done first, a good example is Lolipop Chainsaw, you would be surprise how many people have the pervert trophy as their first trophy of the game XD.

Tizoc

MS forced sonys ass, cant wait to play crash bandicoot again.

MS announced BC during E3, which was 3 months ago, I highly doubt they saw that then spent the next 2 months to get BC announced in time for TGS, it had to be planned months in advance, since for such a thing they need to clear contracts, licensing etc.

LewieP

I guess I can appreciate the stat tracking element.

I still think it is pretty bad that achievements/trophies are mandatory on Xbox/Playstation. Even if a developer wants to make a minimalist game, they are required to include popups with text on them.

F4r0_Atak

MS announced BC during E3, which was 3 months ago, I highly doubt they saw that then spent the next 2 months to get BC announced in time for TGS, it had to be planned months in advance, since for such a thing they need to clear contracts, licensing etc.

It's not their fault... People tend to forget those little details! :p

I still think it is pretty bad that achievements/trophies are mandatory on Xbox/Playstation. Even if a developer wants to make a minimalist game, they are required to include popups with text on them.

They don't need to pop right away. They could always happen when you are done with the game. Keep in mind that a game is still a commercial product, not just an object of art. :p

Apathy

No no, you're so wrong. Microsoft announces a feature and Sony just has to go flip the switch on the ps4 os that does the same thing. They have all these things already in there and they are just holding them back. You're so silly for thinking licensing and contracts with published are even required. :D.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DARK CLOUD 2!??

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Truly, it is a joyus day. The best damn game Level 5 put out on the PS2, besides DQ8

GIVE IT TO ME

Danlord

That's probably mostly to do with the fact that PS3 couldn't handle the emulation of a lot of PS2 games.

That's false. I'm not implying that *every* PS2 game could work on the PS3, but to suggest the PS3 couldn't handle the emulation I find to be false.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526722

One reason why it was slow to get PlayStation 2 games licensed for PS3 was to do with acquiring the correct licenses to redistribute the games. With many games outsourcing work, licensing assets like music and going through the process of getting them permissions, it wasn't as simple as the owner of the IP simply allowing it for resale on a new platform.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's false. I'm not implying that *every* PS2 game could work on the PS3, but to suggest the PS3 couldn't handle the emulation I find to be false.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526722

One reason why it was slow to get PlayStation 2 games licensed for PS3 was to do with acquiring the correct licenses to redistribute the games. With many games outsourcing work, licensing assets like music and going through the process of getting them permissions, it wasn't as simple as the owner of the IP simply allowing it for resale on a new platform.

It probably wasnt easy to be fair to emulate on cell even if it could run

Dark Cloud 2 coming to PS4 would be great. Its such a chill game. Fishing, golf, bar filling, picture taking, good music...its super relaxing.

Sez

The lack of trophies is the reason I haven't bought any psclassic so far on the PS3.

Now, about the appeal, first I have been always a completionist and sometimes it's hard to tell what is the 100%, now trophies dictates the 100% for me. Second, I used to write my records on paper because they resetted if you turned off the console, later with the PS1 because I had to delete game saves due to the small memory card (15 blocks, average of 2 blocks per game). I ended up taking notes of best times, % of completion, stats, and more stuff of hundred of games. Now trophies do this for me.

Lolipop Chainsaw, you would be surprise how many people have the pervert trophy as their first trophy of the game XD.

Don't judge me. http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1475-LOLLIPOP-CHAINSAW/Sez_06?order=date#content

Danlord

It probably wasnt easy to be fair to emulate on cell even if it could run

True, programming complexity on CELL was renowned for being difficult, but there is no indication that the PS3 couldn't handle it regardless.

As for the talks of the PS2 Classics on PS4, I hope the thuway rumour from ages ago about native upscaling are true. My friend has like 500+ PS2 games in boxes and I know he'd relish the opportunity to replay many of them again in 1080. I know I'd enjoy some games I missed out on that haven't had HD Remasters, like Capcom's Haunting Ground. I found a copy at CEX and played on the PS2 but it looks like a resolution increase would really help, the textures and design is really good as it is.

Danlord

Were PSN Now titles re-rated in PEGI?

Nope, and PlayStation Now is on more than just the PlayStation 4 (TV's as well as Vita and PS3). This means it is most likely that PS2 emulation is coming to PS4. Whether that means just digital downloads being emulated or whether local disk emulation is coming (which would be amazing) remains to be seen.

PS Now is future and it allows those games to be played in every device that supports internet and browser. PS4 can have native BC for PS classics but PS Now still has its role outside the PS4 and in future.

My disdain of PSnow lies mainly with it being a subscription service. The underlying technology is fine for future applications across multiple devices but Sony needs to move to a model where you simply stream titles you own. Gamers simply don't want a rental service. Native BC for PSX and PS2 titles with streaming PS3 titles that you buy individually is where the future is - at least until there is hardware that can run PS3 games by itself with no streaming involved. The part Sony cannot currently get past is that people aren't paying for the service in any numbers worth having.

My disdain of PSnow lies mainly with it being a subscription service. The underlying technology is fine for future applications across multiple devices but Sony needs to move to a model where you simply stream titles you own. Gamers simply don't want a rental service. Native BC for PSX and PS2 titles with streaming PS3 titles that you buy individually is where the future is - at least until there is hardware that can run PS3 games by itself with no streaming involved. The part Sony cannot currently get past is that people aren't paying for the service in any numbers worth having.

what you want and what PSNow's attempting to do aren't related. So keep your expectations in check and you'll find yourself less frustrated in life.

5taquitos

Developers can be creative about how trophies are earned and when they pop. For example, in The Last of Us, no trophies can be earned during your first playthrough, so you don't see any trophy notifications.

Top Bottom