• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ape Escape 2, Dark Cloud 2, and Twisted Metal: Black rated for PS4 in Europe

You know what would be hilarious if PS4 got PSOne support?
The fact that you could play Crash and Spyro trilogy on a PS4, but not on US Vita accounts :V

I doubt Crash and Spyro would be available, those will likely stay locked to PSP/PS3 until the end of time

maxcriden

So is Ape Escape 2 a bit more modern than the first game? My wife and I tried the first one recently and as someone who never played more than a couple minutes of it as a kid, it's the kind of early 3D game that holds up really poorly.

People buy games for trophies. Like it or hate it, I think it will help more games appear overtime.

How? I don't see how making more work to get games available digitally would help more over time. Wouldn't the easiest route ensure he most get brought over?

Or am I seriously understanding how important trophies are to that many people?

So is Ape Escape 2 a bit more modern than the first game? My wife and I tried the first one recently and as someone who never played more than a couple minutes of it as a kid, it's the kind of early 3D game that holds up really poorly.

Yeah Ape Escape 2 (and 3) hasn't aged as badly as the 1st game. 2 was really good from what I remember of it.

I would love a PS4 Ape Escape game thinking about it now.

Camjo-Z

AE2 is basically the first game but with better controls. Also it features Ash and Misty from the Pokemon anime as the main characters.

maxcriden

Yeah Ape Escape 2 (and 3) hasn't aged as badly as the 1st game. 2 was really good from what I remember of it.

I would love a PS4 Ape Escape game thinking about it now.

AE2 is basically the first game but with better controls. Also it features Ash and Misty from the Pokemon anime as the main characters.

Sounds good. Thanks guys! I have to imagine it looks and controls a heck of a lot better.

pizzacat

Banned
If you have a vita TV I suggest playing the pop remake of the first one. It played better than I remember

LAA

PS2 emulation, awesome.
Now I really hope/want them to add PS3 emulation like how X1 has done it and to enable PS3 games on PS+ IGC to be played on PS4, I would finally be able to play a lot of the PS3 games I haven't touched from that then.

GunBR

Finally

I really don't know nothing about emulation, but don't look so hard to make an PS4 run PS2 games
Maybe it's not easy as just push a button, but not incredible hard
PS2 emulation, awesome.
Now I really hope/want them to add PS3 emulation like how X1 has done it and to enable PS3 games on PS+ IGC to be played on PS4, I would finally be able to play a lot of the PS3 games I haven't touched from that then.

I think this is impossible to make, because of the Cell processor of ps3

F4r0_Atak

It will most likely be announced at the Paris Games Week, due to the European nature of the rating board.

You know what would be hilarious if PS4 got PSOne support?
The fact that you could play Crash and Spyro trilogy on a PS4, but not on US Vita accounts :V

It's funny you say that... I have both trilogy and both work really well on my Vita (Canadian Account here). :p

Wonder if they'll do it like how xb1 is handling it with a disc check for disc versions and digital purchases being compatible or if they're just going to try to force us to buy them again.

Suzzopher

It will most likely be announced at the Paris Games Week, due to the European nature of the rating board.

Honestly, I think they will announce PS2 classic support tomorrow, the PEGI rating just went live a day earlier than expected.

Tomorrow is also the store update day so would make sense to say "we are releasing PS2 classics (in some form) on PS4 and today you can download the following".

DryvBy

How? I don't see how making more work to get games available digitally would help more over time. Wouldn't the easiest route ensure he most get brought over?

Or am I seriously understanding how important trophies are to that many people?

It's very important to people. People like the meta-game and it's fine, but people will typically try out games with trophy support.

F4r0_Atak

Wonder if they'll do it like how xb1 is handling it with a disc check for disc versions and digital purchases being compatible or if they're just going to try to force us to buy them again.

If based on the smaller digital games I bought on PS3 (Journey, PS1 classics, Unfinished Swan, etc), they could end up being ''free'' for those who already bought them.

This worries the crap out of me,

PS2 classics hit the PS3 and it didnt mean that the PS3 could play PS2 games, it meant you could buy specific PS2 games to play on PS3

Until backwards compat is confirmed im not getting excited for this, this could just be that specific PS2 games will be available for purchase on PS4

that is not what I want, I want to be able to play my PS1 & 2 games natively on my PS4

Never gonna happen.

kevin1025

Banned
I guess the question becomes, at what pace will they release the games, and will we get a potential sizable "launch" amount, or will they start with a small amount of games?

I'd expect digital PS2 Classic support.

Disc support isn't in the cards, I don't think. Microsoft has a good reason to support the discs for Xbox 360 BC in the Xbox One: They're still printing copies of some of those games. They're also trying to get gamers with large physical 360 libraries (eg. most 360 gamers).

None of this applies for the PS2, outside of some random SMT games that still get reprints on Amazon.

F4r0_Atak

Honestly, I think they will announce PS2 classic support tomorrow, the PEGI rating just went live a day earlier than expected.

Tomorrow is also the store update day so would make sense to say "we are releasing PS2 classics (in some form) on PS4 and today you can download the following".

It could be, but SCE also has conferences at TGS and PGW. They could easily use those times to promote the ''new'' feature (if it is) coming to the PS4. Launching PS2 classics/support tomorrow would be a little out of context, especially if they do not try to hype it to some extent. And sure, they wouldn't have any obligations to market and hype it and it could actually release tomorrow. Unless they hint it today on the Blog or Twitter, I'll wait for their TGS or PGW conferences for an official announcement.

Never gonna happen.

Dude... don't be so pessimist! It's not like it was never hinted before. SCE did registered trademarks for similar systems (trophy support for legacy games, local emulation, etc).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

I guess the question becomes, at what pace will they release the games, and will we get a potential sizable "launch" amount, or will they start with a small amount of games?

Based of the PS3 launch of the feature, it will most likely be a modest selection of titles (likely those already available on PS3 as it). Most of times, publishers (or SCE) have to re-register the trademarks or renew the rating for these games, in certain cases due to copyrights on musics, voices or just because of the evolutive nature of the Rating Board (new factors, new conditions, etc).

I would love some psone/ps2 classics. Im wondering if firmware 3.0 has the framework to emulate older titles. Looks to be an interesting TGS this year.

Just give me Nocturne goddamit.

Just came out in EU PSN a few months back on PS3. Depending on how PS2 classics correlate with the PS3 service, you're either gonna be waiting very long or very shortly.

You mean the physical Ape Escape didn't work?

It didn't and digital it never came out.

Now I'm interested in trying 2. And Dark Cloud also. Hopefully this doesn't take long (announce PS2 classics at tomorrow's conference, pls).

If Dark Cloud somehow gets a new game exclusively on PS4, that will make me get a PS4 over the Xbone. (As if The Last Guardian didn't do it already.)

None of the original Ape Escape games have even made it to NA PSN...why 2? Why not 3?

I don't know why Ape Escape 1 is still not up on NA PSN, but Ape Escape 2, I'm fine with, Ape Escape 3 might have a hard time getting rereleased.

Mainly due to the Mesal Gear game included with 3.

I know Sony can simply ask Konami for permission, or disable the game entirely like with MGS3's Guy Savage, and Snake vs Monkey, but releasing an untouched Ape Escape 2 seems like the easier choice.

I would go giddy with glee if they were lining up Dark Cloud 2/Chronicle because a new instalment is being announced, but I'm not holding my breath. I was very fond of Dark Chronicle at the time, but there's a shit load I'd change if I had the time to play it again.

Top Bottom