• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2012 | Fighting game tournament | January 6-8

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
- Paid bracket and tournament organizers not updating brackets and instead running off and playing Brawl casuals instead of updating SSF4 / Marvel brackets.

- Speakers weren't even given to the SF/Marvel - people had to shout out players names for 12+ hours.

- Being relegated to the lobby, not the actual ballroom hall.

- No real ventilation/air conditioning to speak of

- Being massively delayed. I think Noel Brown even said that after several hours people had only played one match or none at all.

- Stream problems galore. Bracket organizers (when doing their job) wouldn't relegate top players on the stream. In fact one of the commentators pretty much had to beg people to get on the stream station.

- Not following the schedule, and in fact putting Mortal Kombat on when it wasn't supposed to be on.

Despite all this - the Marvel stream hit almost 3,000 viewers when things began to relatively smoothly.

It's just odd because Apex seemingly flaunted the fact that it was a EVO qualifier "Road to EVO" tournament, with may of the sponsors being from the FGC. It's actually really not that hard to have Sp00ky's Big Two weeklies blow up for an early of the year major to represent an early east coast tournament that's an EVO qualifier. I'd honestly do that. Or just work with Yipes who's also starting up some bi-monthly tournaments.
Was aware of some of this but wow.

Seems like it'll be definitely be hard to top this as the shittiest Road to EVO qualifier. Seems like both the organizers and stream crew have no idea how to run a tourney properly either.

Edgeward

I should have added a "now" to the end of it, because it seems like the huge SPD range increase really changed the matchup.

Still no, her superior footsies and keepaway game make it one of the hardest match-ups still for Gief. And imo Gief's change of no longer having ex greenhand to cause knockdowns make it even harder.

GatorBait

I wonder what the costs/logistics are for putting on one of these tournaments? In all honestly, I'm not a great player, but it's something I wouldn't mind looking into assisting with.

Wow, MarlinPie basically saying Apex treating FGC like shit.
Heh
- Paid bracket and tournament organizers not updating brackets and instead running off and playing Brawl casuals instead of updating SSF4 / Marvel brackets.

- Speakers weren't even given to the SF/Marvel - people had to shout out players names for 12+ hours.

- Being massively delayed. I think Noel Brown even said that after several hours people had only played one match or none at all.

- Stream problems galore. Bracket organizers (when doing their job) wouldn't relegate top players on the stream. In fact one of the commentators pretty much had to beg people to get on the stream station.

- Not following the schedule, and in fact putting Mortal Kombat on when it wasn't supposed to be on.

Despite all this - the Marvel stream hit almost 3,000 viewers when things began to relatively smoothly.

It's just odd because Apex seemingly flaunted the fact that it was a EVO qualifier "Road to EVO" tournament, with may of the sponsors being from the FGC. It's actually really not that hard to have Sp00ky's Big Two weeklies blow up for an early of the year major to represent an early east coast tournament that's an EVO qualifier. I'd honestly do that. Or just work with Yipes who's also starting up some bi-monthly tournaments.
They have a long road ahead of them if they want to make the FGC folks feel comfortable with them now. I don't know what they can expect though. The space issue alone reminds me of the issues Crimson mentioned regarding the huge Smash community and EVO's ballroom rentals. There just isn't enough room for everyone.

The delays were retarded though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hope CC or Sp00ky puts this tournament on blast when they stream next time.

Earlier in the night, I noticed the stream being idled for over an hour. I said enough at that point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They have a long road ahead of them if they want to make the FGC folks feel comfortable with them now. I don't know what they can expect though. The space issue alone reminds me of the issues Crimson mentioned regarding the huge Smash community and EVO's ballroom rentals. There just isn't enough room for everyone.
I really don't care how they "treat" the FGC, just have the basics there and know how to put together an actual tournament instead of running off and doing casuals instead of.. well you know actually running the tournament. Even on stream there were random casuals amidst actual matches, when do you have time for that stuff? :/

If this was supposed to somehow improve relations with the FGC though.. fission mailed.

Still no, her superior footsies and keepaway game make it one of the hardest match-ups still for Gief. And imo Gief's change of no longer having ex greenhand to cause knockdowns make it even harder.

Chun's a really rough match for any grappler. As an Abel player I have to depend on focus-cancelling/ex-cod to get in as her normals her footsies and anti-air normals are so strong.

omg they didn't have a perfect lagless stream? And they weren't provided a speaker for a 90 person tournament?

Jesus fucking christ bro...

Go to a any FGC tournament and you'll see games like MK being played on 5 setups for like...2 hours any given day before they switch it to Marvel or whatever. This is babycakes, it really is.

The shit Melee heads are being put through with this tournament is way worse. You have 400+ sitting in their hotel room because there are only 20 friendly setups. Some of them literally traveled from across the world and they are being told to sit in their hotel room for one of the 3 days. This is not including the fact that most of them had to take off work because Melee was relegated to Friday only...

A 331 man tournament was expected to get to top 8 in one day. So they ran 2 rounds of 4 man pools. Melee tourneys are usually 3 rounds of 8-9 man pools. 4 man pools means you can lose ONCE and be out; some Togeki/SBO shit. All of these concessions for the FGC/Brawl have fucking sucked for Melee players....the tournament shouldn't have tried to have all these games in the first place. Everyone (except Brawl players ofc) is unhappy.

Azure J

Jesus, when everything's put into perspective like that... This was a really strange tourney it seems.

I'd be so down on the idea of Next Level hosting an EVO qualifier though.

Duxxy3

After this weekend is over they should go and delete all of the archival footage from the second stream.

I'd be so down on the idea of Next Level hosting an EVO qualifier though.

As much as I love the idea of Yipes running a huge curly moustache at next level with Cen and Sp00ky, and as sure as I am that it would be ran as tightly as an event could be run. I doubt they have the floor space and cheap accommodation available.

El Sloth

Banned
Florida. The only large-scale tournament I am aware of around here is CEO.
CEO is also the only Major in the North South that I know about. If you wanna help out with CEO your best bet would be getting in touch with the tournament organizer, Jebailey, either through his:

Twitter

Facebook

Website

He probably would also be able to tell you about any other tourneys in the area you could help out with.

You could also check out these two sections of the SRK forums:

Atlantic South (Regional Matchmaking)

Tournaments & Events

As much as I love the idea of Yipes running a huge curly moustache at next level with Cen and Sp00ky, and as sure as I am that it would be ran as tightly as an event could be run. I doubt they have the floor space and cheap accommodation available.

Sp00ky and Yipes coming together to put together an EVO qualifier would be possible. Not all EVO qualifiers are massive, and for the most part - the same East Coast players who show up to Sp00ky's weekly Big 2, would show up to his EVO qualifier. The only difference is that you'd have maybe 20 or so extra people from around the country to fly in. And the venue they use isn't necessarily small. With some support they could rent a bigger place for a weekend.

Love is over? :(

Sp00ky and Yipes coming together to put together an EVO qualifier would be possible. Not all EVO qualifiers are massive, and for the most part - the same East Coast players who show up to Sp00ky's weekly Big 2, would show up to his EVO qualifier. The only difference is that you'd have maybe 20 or so extra people from around the country to fly in. And the venue they use isn't necessarily small. With some support they could rent a bigger place for a weekend.

Ignore my prior comment then, this is the way they should have gone.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Next Level is definitely not ready for a major.. but it's kinda baffling NYC of all places doesn't have one. Cen/Sp00ky should work together to try and make one happen. They know how to run tournaments, and run them well. If Valle and Level|Up can run SCR, I'm sure Cen and Sp00ky can run a dedicated NYC tourney.

Maybe finding a large enough place in NYC to have a major is the issue.

GatorBait

CEO is also the only Major in the North South that I know about. If you wanna help out with CEO your best bet would be getting in touch with the tournament organizer, Jebailey, either through his:

Twitter

Facebook

Website

He probably would also be able to tell you about any other tourneys in the area you could help out with.

You could also check out these two sections of the SRK forums:

Atlantic South (Regional Matchmaking)

Tournaments & Events
Thanks. I may have to reach out to him and see if he could ever use an extra hand. Outside of the usual professional and social responsibilities, I have a fair amount of free time and money. Playing/watching these types of games is an enjoyable hobby of mine, and I wouldn't mind making an investment in the fighting game community.

El Sloth

Banned
^ I can pretty much guarantee that Jebailey isn't going to say no to more help. The majority of tournaments are home grown labors of love and I'm sure he'd appreciate all the help he can get.

Next Level is definitely not ready for a major.. but it's kinda baffling NYC of all places doesn't have one. Cen/Sp00ky should work together to try and make one happen. They know how to run tournaments, and run them well. If Valle and Level|Up can run SCR, I'm sure Cen and Sp00ky can run a dedicated NYC tourney.
Not really. Everyone here is hurting for money and space in NYC is expensive. Not to mention it would be expensive for out of town players looking for a place to stay.

And, just because I know Spooky would make the correction himself, Big Two is Cen's tournament not Spooky's. Obviously he does play a big role though.

omg they didn't have a perfect lagless stream? And they weren't provided a speaker for a 90 person tournament?

Jesus fucking christ bro...

Go to a any FGC tournament and you'll see games like MK being played on 5 setups for like...2 hours any given day before they switch it to Marvel or whatever. This is babycakes, it really is.

The shit Melee heads are being put through with this tournament is way worse. You have 400+ sitting in their hotel room because there are only 20 friendly setups. Some of them literally traveled from across the world and they are being told to sit in their hotel room for one of the 3 days. This is not including the fact that most of them had to take off work because Melee was relegated to Friday only...

A 331 man tournament was expected to get to top 8 in one day. So they ran 2 rounds of 4 man pools. Melee tourneys are usually 3 rounds of 8-9 man pools. 4 man pools means you can lose ONCE and be out; some Togeki/SBO shit. All of these concessions for the FGC/Brawl have fucking sucked for Melee players....the tournament shouldn't have tried to have all these games in the first place. Everyone (except Brawl players ofc) is unhappy.
The melee numbers remind me that this tournament probably had a higher number of tournament attendants than SCR. Melee and Brawl alone could be over 600 even with some overlap(probably not much overlap though). Have these guys ever run such a large tournament before? I mean... the number of attendants put together should be about 1000 and this doesn't include the ridiculous amount of spectators at the actual event for all these communities.

Yeah, this is not really about the FGC. This is about resources and management.

Duxxy3

If spooky/yipes were going to hold an evo qualifying major it would likely be in philly or somewhere in jersey.

http://www.twitch.tv/medina4life

Losers final - Marvel. This is already better than Apex.

Holy shit OMG Andre vs. Arios (or whatever his name was) was so fucking hype. Holy shit.

O_O GNG Zues probably has the best Vergil I've ever seen. He actually makes the character look somewhat top tier as opposed to the slew of mid-tier Vergil's we see at various tournaments.

kirblar

^ I can pretty much guarantee that Jebailey isn't going to say no to more help. The majority of tournaments are home grown labors of love and I'm sure he'd appreciate all the help he can get.

Not really. Everyone here is hurting for money and space in NYC is expensive. Not to mention it would be expensive for out of town players looking for a place to stay.

And, just because I know Spooky would make the correction himself, Big Two is Cen's tournament not Spooky's. Obviously he does play a big role though.
It's definitely a price/space issue. NYC is just too expensive- this is why you see all the M:TG PTQs and such taking place in Jersey (and even those don't have great locations).

Yeah, next year ElvenShadow definitely needs to try and get this as a Road to Evo tournament.

No joke. I just tuned in and it seems a lot of good Marvel players are there. Not too mention Wolfkrone.

There is no reason why this shouldn't make a push to be an EVO qualifier.

Steaks

Apex is run by a guy banned from the NYC fighting game community for running away with a pot after hitting his girlfriend, the cops arrived and the venue had to pay players out of pocket on the spot. They had just hired a brand new guy to run tournaments for the venue as well, but after that happened they refused to run any fighting game tournaments ever again. Said guy was fired mere days after being hired along with this TO. It was pretty much the best place in Manhattan to gather (lots of space and TVs, in a very convenient location). I'm curious how no one actually called him out on this and how this tournament is allowed to be run considering all of that. He never showed his face in that community for a long time. This was before SF4 came out.

So it's not surprising he ran this poorly too.

Busaiku

And Frosty Faustings IV about to close it out with The King of Fighters XIII.
Once again, this needs to be an Evo qualifier next year.

Arde5643

Apex is run by a guy banned from the NYC fighting game community for running away with a pot after hitting his girlfriend, the cops arrived and the venue had to pay players out of pocket on the spot. They had just hired a brand new guy to run tournaments for the venue as well, but after that happened they refused to run any fighting game tournaments ever again. Said guy was fired mere days after being hired along with this TO. It was pretty much the best place in Manhattan to gather (lots of space and TVs, in a very convenient location).

Holy shit, how the fuck did APEX even got approval for EVO qualifiers?

Yayayaya, iplaywinner is in the building.

Steaks

Holy shit, how the fuck did APEX even got approval for EVO qualifiers?

Yayayaya, iplaywinner is in the building.

I don't think anyone in recent memory remembers the guy, and they don't seem to be at the tournament. Noel was actually at that tournament playing Arcana Heart I think but they weren't part of the same running as what this guy did.

Also I remember there being stirrings of him pulling seedy stuff in the Smash community in around the same era. Not sure what happened with that.

Apex is run by a guy banned from the NYC fighting game community for running away with a pot after hitting his girlfriend, the cops arrived and the venue had to pay players out of pocket on the spot. They had just hired a brand new guy to run tournaments for the venue as well, but after that happened they refused to run any fighting game tournaments ever again. Said guy was fired mere days after being hired along with this TO. It was pretty much the best place in Manhattan to gather (lots of space and TVs, in a very convenient location). I'm curious how no one actually called him out on this and how this tournament is allowed to be run considering all of that. He never showed his face in that community for a long time. This was before SF4 came out.

Wait what? Who are you talking about? APEX is run by Alex Strife and he definitely wasn't a part of that..

The exaggerations are getting ridiculous now. SF, Marvel, and MK at least all got where they needed to be. Melee is the one getting fucked, but tbh, with me not being there, I can't say how bad it is...

Edgeward

WTF

Steaks

Wait what? Who are you talking about? APEX is run by Alex Strife and he definitely wasn't a part of that..

The exaggerations are getting ridiculous now. SF, Marvel, and MK at least all got where they needed to be. Melee is the one getting fucked, but tbh, with me not being there, I can't say how bad it is...

Alex Strife ran that tournament. I saw this with my own eyes. I saw him running out of the room and out of the venue. This was a thing I witnessed.

Alex Strife ran that tournament. I saw this with my own eyes. I saw him running out of the room and out of the venue. This was a thing I witnessed.

Are you sure? He hit Crismas? Like, seriously?

Any proof of this? An SRK thread? Anything? Cause thats a pretty serious accusation man...

Steaks

Any proof of this? An SRK thread? Anything? Cause thats a pretty serious accusation man...

Ask any person at that tournament.

Edit: That was what was claimed and what the cops were dealing with. Whatever the case is was he ran out of the venue. This was in 2007? I believe.

I had the pleasure of running half a tournament in his absence and telling the ST players that their money didn't exist.

Lulubop

There is a thread on SRK where Sabin blew up Alex for running that tournament.

The topic is about Alex Strife asking for support in running an nyc major.

Steaks

There is a thread on SRK where Sabin blew up Alex for running that tournament.

The topic is about Alex Strife asking for support in running an nyc major.

Yep, Art was there. He got 3rd place in 3rd Strike with Alex. Not sure if that helps. I think you paid 20 dollars and got entrance to all 4 Capcom games. Also for some reason CvS2 was single elim/game or something for no reason at all and Smash had half the entrants of the fighting game people but got twice the TVs as well.

For what it's worth it didn't run that poorly but that's because community people did all of the work.

Top Bottom