• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2012 | Fighting game tournament | January 6-8

Steaks

Anyway, I don't really try to hold grudges but Alex tries to deny that tournament happened and his second chance didn't really pan out too well it seems.

Azure J

Steaks' last 6 posts

Kmax3.gif

This can't be for real, I thought stuff like this was reserved to stream monster trolls on people fucking up Guilty Gear brackets or something.

Steaks

Kmax3.gif

This can't be for real, I thought stuff like this was reserved to stream monster trolls on people fucking up Guilty Gear brackets or something.

Next to some bracket fixing, that's probably the biggest disaster I've witnessed. You guys remember Sinsation where Gootecks won in early SF4? Rigged brackets. Not in his favor or anything, but there were dudes in top 16 that got free rides because the TO shoved himself in a bracket devoid of anyone who had played SF4 at all. There was also the time a dude cheated in 3rd Strike money matches where Henry Cen was giving this dude from Toronto death threats to his face for upping the damage in System Direction.

Fun times.

Next to some bracket fixing, that's probably the biggest disaster I've witnessed. You guys remember Sinsation where Gootecks won in early SF4? Rigged brackets. Not in his favor or anything, but there were dudes in top 16 that got free rides because the TO shoved himself in a bracket devoid of anyone who had played SF4 at all. There was also the time a dude cheated in 3rd Strike money matches where Henry Cen was giving this dude from Toronto death threats to his face for upping the damage in System Direction.

Fun times.

I'm still trying to find it :(

My googling sucks. I don't want to belieeeveee. :/

Alex has run plenty of successful events before for both communities...I knew he had been doing stuff for the FGC before coming to smash, but I didn't know of any possible bad blood...

Steaks

I'm still trying to find it :(

My googling sucks. I don't want to belieeeveee. :/

Alex has run plenty of successful events before for all communities...I knew he had been doing stuff for the FGC before coming to smash, but I didn't know of any possible bad blood.

To be fair, he ran like small weeklies before that at W2Z which weren't bad or anything. It was an interesting tournament and I honestly think the guy deserved a second chance. He still has yet to own up for this situation though.

And Frosty Faustings IV about to close it out with The King of Fighters XIII.
Once again, this needs to be an Evo qualifier next year.
FF was a lot of fun. Seeing Guilty Gear as a main event was definitely a refreshing experience. I can't wait to check out some more alternative streams for stuff like Smash, KOF, etc. for the future.

kirblar

To be fair, he ran like small weeklies before that at W2Z which weren't bad or anything. It was an interesting tournament and I honestly think the guy deserved a second chance. He still has yet to own up for this situation though.
Once the trust disappears, there's really not a way to earn it back.

Arde5643

Well, technically with the way things happened back then, it's not like the trust just dissipates or disappears, it basically blew up freaking big time.

You got missing pot money and cops coming in due to exaggerated reports of domestic violence - hahaa, that ain't just trust disappearing.

yo this gundam vs gundam game is hype!!!! is it gonna ever be released in NA?
Isn't there a thread for that in GAF? Not sure what the name was...

Steaks

Well, technically with the way things happened back then, it's not like the trust just dissipates or disappears, it basically blew up freaking big time.

You got missing pot money, beaten-up gf, cops coming in - hahaa, that ain't just trust disappearing.

No, not beating. Just like, regular hit. Like one. That's what the cops were there for. It was almost certainly out of an argument and I don't think she was injured at all.

Not saying that it's a nice thing but don't blow it out of proportion.

Fun times.

Curious about the Sinsation statement. I was there and made it to top 16 from losers in LI Joe's pool. It was so early on in the game's life, it felt like everyone outside of NYC and Gootecks and Combofiend didn't have much SF4 experience. I have a crappy memory of who actually made it to top 16, but I do remember feeling like some of the pools were stupidly easy.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Which is why Planet Zero continues to get approved as an SBO qualifier and people still come out for it, right?

A combination of short memories and pre-SF4 drama being largely unknown to new players can sweep a lot of things under the rug.

This turned out to be a fun thread.

USD

Day 3 is live, though it's still extremely early. Everything will be on Jaxel's stream today. Also note the order of the Finals in the schedule. If things go as planned, AE will be starting first, then Melee, UMvC3, and Brawl, in that order.

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Apex is run by a guy banned from the NYC fighting game community for running away with a pot after hitting his girlfriend, the cops arrived and the venue had to pay players out of pocket on the spot. They had just hired a brand new guy to run tournaments for the venue as well, but after that happened they refused to run any fighting game tournaments ever again. Said guy was fired mere days after being hired along with this TO. It was pretty much the best place in Manhattan to gather (lots of space and TVs, in a very convenient location). I'm curious how no one actually called him out on this and how this tournament is allowed to be run considering all of that. He never showed his face in that community for a long time. This was before SF4 came out.

So it's not surprising he ran this poorly too.

So, not only can he not run a tournament worth a fuck. But, he beats on woman and runs away with money.

Mr. Wizard needs to put down them krispy kreme donuts and actually do some proper fucking background checks on the people running these tournaments before giving them any kind of Evo related status. Shit, this type of shit is making him look like your typical police chief wiggum.

Fun times.
Gootecks probably promised to hook the bracket maker up with his boy Mike.

number47

Next Level is definitely not ready for a major.. but it's kinda baffling NYC of all places doesn't have one. Cen/Sp00ky should work together to try and make one happen. They know how to run tournaments, and run them well. If Valle and Level|Up can run SCR, I'm sure Cen and Sp00ky can run a dedicated NYC tourney.

Maybe finding a large enough place in NYC to have a major is the issue.

NL is certainly not great for more than 100 people at a time. but with the right organization , it can be done. as for people flighting in. there is a hotel around the corner from the venue.

what about the people waiting for their matches?
theres a billiards place across the street and iono.restuarants. someone should work a deal to have people sit there while they wait for matches. we have instant communication. someone should call,text or even tell them on stream that they are coming up next.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NL is certainly not great for more than 100 people at a time. but with the right organization , it can be done. as for people flighting in. there is a hotel around the corner from the venue.

what about the people waiting for their matches?
theres a billiards place across the street and iono.restuarants. someone should work a deal to have people sit there while they wait for matches. we have instant communication. someone should call,text or even tell them on stream that they are coming up next.
Oh my god.

Kimosabae

Banned
Watching this stream makes me want to start playing Melee again - somewhat. So many Florida heads beasting ;_: *Happy Tears*

And I still got more tech skill than all of em'! And I'm an old man!

Day 3 is live, though it's still extremely early. Everything will be on Jaxel's stream today. Also note the order of the Finals in the schedule. If things go as planned, AE will be starting first, then Melee, UMvC3, and Brawl, in that order.

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun
Thanks for the heads up. Melee is so fun to watch!
It really speaks to the quality of a tournament when people argue who suffered more. :p
Yeah...
So, not only can he not run a tournament worth a fuck. But, he beats on woman and runs away with money.

Mr. Wizard needs to put down them krispy kreme donuts and actually do some proper fucking background checks on the people running these tournaments before giving them any kind of Evo related status. Shit, this type of shit is making him look like your typical police chief wiggum.
You say that like it is a bad thing. :3

Zapages

I should just showed up for the shits and giggles... I suck at most fighting games. But it would have been fun. lol

lol

The best Art moment of 2011 was when him and some other Dhalsim player was talking non stop about Dhalsim being bad in AE while F Champ is doing some exhibition matches. Spooky went in hard with that troll.

Are you talking about when Spooky played some sappy song while they were complaining about Dhalsim? I swear I sat there and thought "where the fuck is this ad music coming from". I checked all my tabs and couldn't find shit until I finally realized that it was coming from the stream lol.

Top Bottom