• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Baldur's Gate 3 has sold 5.2 million copies on Steam according to the Belgian Embassy in China

So, can we say that Baldur's Gate 3 rolled a "natural 20"? Let's take a look at the numbers as of August 16th when this article was written:
- The game has sold 5.2 million copies on the PC gaming platform Steam, with more than 870,000 concurrent online users and a 94.3% positive rating.
- On Metacritic, a site that collects reviews, Baldur's Gate 3 is already the eighth highest-rated game of all time, with an average rating of 97%, and the highest-rated game since 2010.

Sources:

Kinda weird way to find out about BG3 PC sales, but I'll take it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The Peter Jackson of Belgium.
The Muscles Nerd from Brussels

swen.jpg

That's all I got.

Senua

Hopefully it does well on consoles. Still on the fence on which platform I should play it on.
I've been switching between controller and M&Kb as I like to play in bed with my TV sometimes and while the controller layout is better than I expected, it's still way more clunky and nonintuitive in comparison. Selecting spells on a wheel is especially gonad-aching after a while

poodaddy

Damn dude, holy shit. I love seeing this kind of success for Baldur's Gate, but I gotta admit I didn't expect this. Being a PC gamer for decades now, I understand and get the pedigree of Baldur's Gate and I figured it'd be successful, but I didn't expect this level, not gonna lie. Good for them, I love seeing a great game get the success they deserve rather than another Ubisoft collectathon or another over the shoulder movie wanna be that removes all player agency. I hope this means the industry's gonna be changing for the better.

Solidus_T

Well deserved. This game also deserves Game of the Year awards for best overall and best RPG among others in my opinion. I am going to be playing this for years.
Hopefully it does well on consoles. Still on the fence on which platform I should play it on.
I have the deluxe on PC and I'll be getting a PS5 copy as well. Larian supports cross platform saves! Why not?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
so basically on par with GOW Ragnorak on PS which sold 5 million in a week to become the fastest selling PS game ever.

MrA

Banned
For anyone wondering, Larian is a Belgium studio so the country should be proud of this success.

Edit: it  is a weird place to get the info though
My thoughts exactly guess bg3 is going to do even better than I expected (9 million by years end)

MrA

Banned
I bet Paradox Interactive's CEO is scratching his head right now.
Don't worry other companies won't contribute the success to the deep fully featured world characters and gameplay, they'll just take away bear sex as the cause of success

Hudo

Don't worry other companies won't contribute the success to the deep fully featured world characters and gameplay, they'll just take away bear sex as the cause of success
I mean, no one bats an eye that you can essentially make a circular family tree in Crusader Kings 3 and make inbreeding an official state policy.

clarky

Gold Member
Surely its sold more than that?( not wanting taking away from the impressive metrics)

Almost a high of 900k CCU and 5 mil in sales would mean what almost 20% of everyone in the world who purchased it where playing at the same time.

Do we have anything to gauge this against?

calistan

I have the deluxe on PC and I'll be getting a PS5 copy as well. Larian supports cross platform saves! Why not?
Well, because it’s a complete waste of money to buy the exact same thing twice? I mean, they’ve sold millions of copies and will sell millions more, this isn’t a struggling indie dev that needs your support.

Jinzo Prime

I wonder if the Belgian embassy is trying to get more Chinese companies to invest in Belgium, and are using the success of BG3 to entice investors. Or maybe China requested the information themselves to investigate the video game development scene in Belgium.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Well, because it’s a complete waste of money to buy the exact same thing twice? I mean, they’ve sold millions of copies and will sell millions more, this isn’t a struggling indie dev that needs your support.
There are plenty of games people have double, and perhaps triple dipped on or more that are less deserving over the years. Besides, I have a nice setup for couch coop on my PS5. All of my coop on PC has so far been online.

Top Bottom