• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Baldur's Gate 3 has sold 5.2 million copies on Steam according to the Belgian Embassy in China

MacReady13

That's all good but, how many hours have people played the game for? This is the thing that makes companies money, isn't it???

MacReady13

Why not both? 🤷‍♂️
My point is, SOME companies (when they don't sell games) only announce how many hours people play their games. I'm not unhappy with companies announcing hours played but when you're in the business to make money, you could play a game for a billions hours yet that shit ain't making you money over millions of sales... especially a company like this.

sncvsrtoip

Bg2 is in my top5 games ever and I still think Larian was bad choice with their turn based system that I dispise but kudos, not easy to sell this number delivering rather hardcore experience

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
My point is, SOME companies (when they don't sell games) only announce how many hours people play their games. I'm not unhappy with companies announcing hours played but when you're in the business to make money, you could play a game for a billions hours yet that shit ain't making you money over millions of sales... especially a company like this.
I know what you meant. I was just messing around lol

amigastar

Is that good, I thought to be a profitable AAA game you must sell at least 10 million copies?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Is that good, I thought to be a profitable AAA game you must sell at least 10 million copies?
It's not really a AAA game. Just AAA quality.

That's also not including the millions they will sell on PlayStation when it releases.

Hudo

I wonder if the Belgian embassy is trying to get more Chinese companies to invest in Belgium, and are using the success of BG3 to entice investors. Or maybe China requested the information themselves to investigate the video game development scene in Belgium.
Xi Jinping is playing BG3 right now and he can't decide between romancing Shadowheart or Laz'ael. I have him in my Steam friends list.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Its not an AAA game. Some other studios will probably deem 3 million copies sold a huge success for AAA games so 5 million+ is great

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DAM SON that doesn't even include me as I just bought myself a copy today and don't have to play with the kids no more lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So much for turn based being a "dead genre" and "due to outdated technology of the 90s that it was necessary". Turn based games are great.
nah tactical turn based is great. nobodys arguing against games like this and Divinity Original Sin 2

When people shit on turn based they mean the more shallow iterations found in JRPGs where it's you and a couple enemies on the other side with no positioning (which removes a great deal of what makes turn based so fun)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Safe to say its the best RPG game released so far this year. No reason to wait for the console release.

Top Bottom