• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently military promotions don't come from the military but from God

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I just attended a promotion ceremony for a friend who is becoming captain. Twice during, we were asked to bow our heads and listen to Christian prayers. There was no subtlety; plenty of references to the "heavenly father" and Jesus. The speaker asked god to guide us and help us with, you know, everything. I even learned that "all promotions come from [god.]"

Wasn't a big deal but I had no idea religion was so overtly expressed in official, military-related events like this. I know about military chaplains but those are obviously optional.

I don't see any reason why there should be any prayers involved in a promotion ceremony. Does separation of church and state not apply to the military?
Separation of church and state only applies to non-Christian denominations. The political shit church sermons get away with would get my synagogue revoked of its tax exempt status

Likewise for public officials invoking Jesus at official events (military promotions, on the floor of state and federal legislatures, in courthouses, etc)

MilkyJoe

The US government and their obsession with talking about God has never sat right with me. One might say it comes across as fucking crackers.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Milky:

It's always been festering in the state level, but it really didn't become overt and casual federally until the 1950s. (Red scare, cold war, godless commies, etc)

quickwhips

I just attended a promotion ceremony for a friend who is becoming captain. Twice during, we were asked to bow our heads and listen to Christian prayers. There was no subtlety; plenty of references to the "heavenly father" and Jesus. The speaker asked god to guide us and help us with, you know, everything. I even learned that "all promotions come from [god.]"

Wasn't a big deal but I had no idea religion was so overtly expressed in official, military-related events like this. I know about military chaplains but those are obviously optional.

I don't see any reason why there should be any prayers involved in a promotion ceremony. Does separation of church and state not apply to the military?

You should go to a police event. Its crazy religious at least to all the ones I've been to.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I thought the military had an inclusive policy so you could be whatever religion / worldview/faith you wanted to be, i know they have their fair share of interfaith programs.

BigDug13

Benedictions at formal military events is simply tradition. A chaplain always attends those ceremonies. The prayers are general and to "God" and not full of "in the name of Jesus" stuff.

I do find it funny how God is responsible though. I didn't get a promotion so I guess God didn't like me. Also my football team didn't win so God didn't help my team like he helped the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom