• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Splatoon 2 tickrate is only 16Hz

I have to imagine this is to lower the rather high speed requirements form the first game and to also allow people to play using mobile data, however seeing as they're clearly pushing this as an Esport it really should be fixed. Maybe have a higher tick rate in ranked where hitting other people matters a bit more than in turf war? at least that way you could still play one mode on mobile data.

Ogodei

I have to imagine this is to lower the rather high speed requirements form the first game and to also allow people to play using mobile data, however seeing as they're clearly pushing this as an Esport it really should be fixed. Maybe have a higher tick rate in ranked where hitting other people matters a bit more than in turf war? at least that way you could still play one mode on mobile data.

Or a higher tick rate in League Mode and private matches, which is probably where all the really hardcore online action is anyway.

Funny, Overwatch having a low tick rate was the subject of constant complaints and jokes from the entire playerbase (casuals to pros) which led them to upping it pretty quick. Splatoon 2 has an even worse tick rate than Overwatch AND it's predecessor and it's shrugs all around.

There isn't a reason to defend this, a higher tickrate is better in almost every way - the one exception being for people using potato quality mobile tethering, and you're already ruining other people's experiences if you're doing that.

Funny, Overwatch having a low tick rate was the subject of constant complaints and jokes from the entire playerbase (casuals to pros) which led them to upping it pretty quick. Splatoon 2 has an even worse tick rate than Overwatch AND it's predecessor and it's shrugs all around.

There isn't a reason to defend this, a higher tickrate is better in almost every way - the one exception being for people using potato quality mobile tethering, and you're already ruining other people's experiences if you're doing that.

It is bad it is impossible to not notice it.

Nekketsu Kõha;245399221 said:
Lol you think it doesn't stink on games on XBL and PSN? There is a reason we compare this game to PC but also esports. As we should.

It does, but console online gaming evolved a lot in those years. E-sports as well, so what was accepted years ago dosn't mean it is now.

COD and BF these days are way beyond those tickrates for a reason.

last year you mean

I need actual proof for that, because COD tickrstes have been higher than that for sometime.

Even if it was the case, is more of an exception rather than the norm these days.

It does, but console online gaming evolved a lot in those years. E-sports as well, so what was accepted years ago dosn't mean it is now.

COD and BF these days are way beyond those tickrates for a reason.

It was the remaster not 360 release.

And while we are it what are they on Xbox and ps4 now in bf and new cod? Or other games.

If Nintendo is concerned about the players' internet speed for the different Hardware configurations of the Switch, that would explain the lower ticks. I suspect that they will eventually improve it as long as too many people are not playing below 1 MB/s.

ChrisD

Nekketsu Kõha;245399620 said:
It is bad it is impossible to not notice it.
Played 700+ hours of Splatoon 1, and have played 100+ of Splatoon 2. If this wasn't brought to my attention I can't say I would have noticed anything.. And actually, I still don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

That said, it is ridiculous that a sequel is not at least running at the predecessor's tickrate. This is a total regression, and I would love to see 2 get up to par with the original, if not higher.

Edit: by "not noticed" I solely mean I haven't noticed things any worse than they were in 1, in regards to trades and stuff. I didn't know that the rate dropped in 2, but I did know 1's rate was low.

Venfayth

Tickrate is the rate at which logic is processed.

Imagine playing a game at 16 fps vs a game at 60 fps. If your servers tickrate is 16fps but you're playing at 60fps, all the action that happens gets squished down from your 60 frames per second to those 16 'ticks' per second on the server. This means you could kill someone but die to them because your kill was just slightly too slow, whereas on a faster tickrate you wouldn't have died at all. Or you might actually die to someone who shouldn't have killed you period without even trading.

When overwatch went from 30 or whatever it was to the 60 it's at now, the game felt SOO much better and more fair.

I've got nothing but I think a link was posted on the previous page

Trying to find some now on games google

So bf1 on console is at 30 but they intend to go 60 at some point?!

COD infinite w I only find a board saying it has 20 server tick and people complaining.

Again. Would love someone sharing accurate data.

On PC it is easy to find info.

correojon

I played a lot of Splatoon1 and have been playing a lot of S2 since launch as well and I really don't feel like 2 behaves worse than 1. I occasionally get phantom splatted but it's an issue I've seen happen only with selected players and not the norm and in no way is it something that happens frequently. By no means it's impacting my enjoyment of the game more than anecdotally.
Anyway, the game will surely improve by upping the tick time so I see no reason why Nintendo shouldn't pursue it, specially seeing how it's so important to some people ITT.

Edit: forgot to mention that I'm mostly playing Turf War and Salmon Run, the kind of misbehaviours the slow tick time causes surely are more apparent in ranked.

Swarna

Not funny or odd, you're comparing two completely different audiences (Switch and PC players) with a vastly different average level of knowledge and sensitivity on this topic.

It is that low so people can play Splatoon 2 on the go with their mobile net.

It is a lot less intensive, so you are better able to play.

It is win-win for a machine like Switch.

People bitching how this game doesn't have a lot higher rates don't understand the basic principle of the Switch, you need to be able to play it effortlessy in a lot of situations.

Interesting and for a some reason we don't see much or any complaining about that. It seems other companies get's free pass.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

There was plenty of complaining in the U4 thread, on the ND forums and on Reddit. I think it's less people giving ND a free pass and more that this isn't widely known, along with there just not being that many people who give enough of a shit about Uncharted mp to make a difference. And i say that as someone who has played thousands of hours since U2.

Nintendo still has so much to learn about online gaming, just seems like a series of bonehead decisions come out of Nintendo anytime something with online connectivity is introduced.

Cuningas de Häme;245402419 said:

People bitching how this game doesn't have a lot higher rates don't understand the basic principle of the Switch, you need to be able to play it effortlessy in a lot of situations.
wow I have defiantly seen it all now

Because Nintendo. Its kind of like seeing really crispy golden fries in your fast food bag on the way home and go to eat one and it's not even fully cooked. It's mushy and just wrong but lots of people won't turn around and ask for fully cooked fries because they are hungry right there and right then. Nintendo gets a pass for everything. Reggie could drop dem size 50 pants right on top of GAF and plop a fat turd on GAF and the Nintendo loons here would just be like "Anyone just feel and smell that wonderful essence?".

16Hz tick rate is pathetic.

phanphare

Banned
This must be the new "They were cheating because I can't admit I could get better" right?

nope there was a lot of cheating in the first Splatoon game. I was level 50 in the first game and A rank and have no qualms admitting I wasn't good enough to get to S+ in solo ranked.

you can sift through the OT's of the first game if you require proof. have at it.

Your quote takes me to this post from BGBW in 2010, for some reason.

same here lol

Koren

Interesting... It happens to me quite often (and indeed more often than in Splatoon 1). I thought it was only because my ping was quite high, but apparently, there's other reasons.

But honestly, I love the game, but the netcode is shitty (and I get as many disconnections as Splatoon 1, and those are the only two games that have that many issues)

I'm not a particularly competitive gamer and I love Nintendo, but nah. 16Hz is incredibliy noticeable in the matches - at least one of my deaths per match is from this. Not defensible.

I think it may be part of the reason that rollers are so shit in Splatoon 2. It's impossible to approach enemies when they can magically shoot you even when you are in cover.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah it really sucks, there are moments where weapons that typically take 3 to 5 shots to kill end up just feeling like an instant gib off one from a mix of lag and this

LCGeek

formerly sane

Mobile has nothing to do with it considering you can play on dial up with higher tick rates.

Intensive, splatoon is in no way running a lot of players at a extremely high tick say 100 or above to even have this be true. Blizzard and valve upped their own numbers once they found going from low teens,20s, and 30s is basically nothing on potato machines this applies for source and cs:go

Switch will never be in a stress position with tickrate it's just sloppy programming for online title on nintendo platform which is more of the problem.

Maxinas

Fucking hell Nintendo. If this shit isn't fixed by the end of this year, i suggest they delay their paid services until 2019, otherwise i can only imagine it being a shitfest.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Are you drunk?

Patch13

One interesting thing about the original video is that it's not necessarily true that the incorrect thing happened. The player who got splatted was barreling down the level in the open, and the charger player was looking to catch someone doing just that.

So let's say the following happened:

1) The charger player sees the incoming squid and fires. But they fire a split second after their console ticks. It's not until the next tick -- 1/16 of a second later -- that their console sends a message to the host saying "hey, I splatted this person".

2) Perhaps this is a worst case scenario timing wise -- the splatted player just misses the "hey, I got hit" update until one tick after it has been received on the host. So they find out they got splatted 1/8th of a second after it happened (plus another 1/60th of a second if they had unfortunate timing with frames, plus any latency they have due to ping).

That's not much time, but it is enough time for them to have leapt behind the wall, thinking that they have jumped to safety. Unfortunately, they are not safe -- they are just behind on being informed about their doom.

That's not necessarily what happened. Maybe the timing mishaps went the other way, and the Charger player saw and hit an inkling who had actually ducked behind the wall ~1/8th of a second ago. And regardless of whether it was a "fair" hit or a "fair" miss, it feels bad to find out that you've been splatted just as you were going to congratulate yourself on your quick reflexes.

Fundamentally, I think that the lesson is to think ahead and not to be out in the open like that in the first place -- even with a higher tick rate, latency can still bite you. Not that a high tick rate wouldn't be nice -- dualie duels would be nicer with more dense network updates. But it's not necessarily useful to blame a bad splat solely on the tick rate. One sometimes has to ask oneself why one was making like Pearl and rushing the center in the first place :)

Interesting and for a some reason we don't see much or any complaining about that. It seems other companies get's free pass.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.
I find your post downright insulting. I've invested a lot of time to take this lightly.

Read the comments here: http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...97-getting-shot-around-walls-and-behind-cover

And search for "tick rate" here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216690

Not my fault most people couldn't bother to educate themselves, even when they're being spoon fed. You can also blame ND for downplaying this via elaborate PR damage control.

What pisses me off is that TLOU2 MP will most likely have some shitty tick rate as well and people will still continue praising Naughty Gods and their Lord Druckmann.

Yeah. It's pretty bad. Like if you have the opportunity, get two switches, play online, and you can see how widley out of sync they are with one another.

The people you're shooting at simply aren't in the same place on their screen, and the same for you, on theirs. In a gun fight, it's like you're playing two different games sometimes.

It's weird, because Uncharted 4 also has a a 15hz tick rate, and I also play that game, but it's not quite as bad. Feels fair more often. I think that might have something to do with general network quality though - a lot of people playing Splatoon are on wireless and latency compensation essentially exacerbates the issue.

The largest manifestation of this is trades, really, but in general the best players aren't winning the encounters. You're dying when you shouldn't be.

I find your post downright insulting. I've invested a lot of time to take this lightly.

Read the comments here: http://feedback.naughtydog.com/foru...97-getting-shot-around-walls-and-behind-cover

And search for "tick rate" here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216690

Not my fault most people couldn't bother to educate themselves, even when they're being spoon fed. You can also blame ND for downplaying this via elaborate PR damage control.

Yeah it's a super common complaint in UC, it's probably the biggest problem with their MP games overall. However, I don't think it manifests quite as badly in UC. I don't experience any where near as many trades in UC as I do in Splatoon. In Splatoon probably 1/10 of my kills are trades, or perhaps more. The real projectiles (rather than hitscans) and low time to kill really contribute to that I would imagine, but the crappy connections of wireless players don't help either.

Tecnniqe

Banned

giphy.gif

Fucking hell Nintendo. If this shit isn't fixed by the end of this year, i suggest they delay their paid services until 2019, otherwise i can only imagine it being a shitfest.
Actually low tickrate is not equal to a broken online. The online work just fine. This is not an emergency for Nintendo at all. Higher tick rate can be good, but is not a priority for the devs.

Crisium

If they went dedicated servers though, couldn't they increase tickrate and maintain similar network demands as right now with p2p?

Ask for dedicated servers at the very least.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Yeah. It's pretty bad. Like if you have the opportunity, get two switches, play online, and you can see how widley out of sync they are with one another.

The people you're shooting at simply aren't in the same place on their screen, and the same for you, on theirs. In a gun fight, it's like you're playing two different games sometimes.

It's weird, because Uncharted 4 also has a a 15hz tick rate, and I also play that game, but it's not quite as bad. Feels fair more often. I think that might have something to do with general network quality though - a lot of people playing Splatoon are on wireless and latency compensation essentially exacerbates the issue.

The largest manifestation of this is trades, really, but in general the best players aren't winning the encounters. You're dying when you shouldn't be.

Playing on wireless without debloated drivers, which is most people is insanely stupid if you care about anything real time and networking.

What's pathetic is none of the big 3 companies have addressed this on their consoles when the solution literally is a driver fix, no need for new hardware.

LordOfChaos

Updating the server only 16 times a second for a game that prides itself on 60fps gameplay is indeed pretty ehh. I'm sure it's still fun, but you can absolutely notice the precision of higher tickrates.

EL OH EL Senor/Senora Cuningas de Häme

giapel

LMAO every time

"I'm going to use hyperbole to misrepresent the entire discussion in this thread! Look at all this OUTRAGE!! Did you see how many people called this game UNPLAYABLE!?! (one person, accidentally!)"

"oh btw hyperbole is bad"
Are we reading the same thread. People sound genuinely angry about it. It's like the game's been ruined forever. Have you seen this discussed in the OP? No, because it's not as big of an issue as it's made here.

Are we reading the same thread. People sound genuinely angry about it. It's like the game's been ruined forever. Have you seen this discussed in the OP? No, because it's not as big of an issue as it's made here.

As with everything Nintendo since the Wii both fanboys and people who hate to the extreme are extremely annoying.

I was actually going to make a post about it in the OP today.

But I'm one to complain, so...

Tecnniqe

Banned
Actually low tickrate is not equal to a broken online. The online work just fine. This is not an emergency for Nintendo at all. Higher tick rate can be good, but is not a priority for the devs.
Actually actually actually the actually tickrate does assist in broken online functionality and added with latency issues and poor whatever else mess it's not fine.

While they may not see it as an emergency it still don't change the fact that they went with it and the excuse that it's not a priority is rather baffling one to use as it just makes it look like they don't give a fuck about their online shooty splat splat game being at its best and reduce bullshit frustration that may occur.

ChrisD

What does this even mean and why does it matter?

Tickrate is the rate at which logic is processed.

Imagine playing a game at 16 fps vs a game at 60 fps. If your servers tickrate is 16fps but you're playing at 60fps, all the action that happens gets squished down from your 60 frames per second to those 16 'ticks' per second on the server. This means you could kill someone but die to them because your kill was just slightly too slow, whereas on a faster tickrate you wouldn't have died at all. Or you might actually die to someone who shouldn't have killed you period without even trading.

When overwatch went from 30 or whatever it was to the 60 it's at now, the game felt SOO much better and more fair.
Read at least the OP and last page.

Top Bottom