• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Announces 16GB iPhone and 32GB iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF, that was random! I've been holding off on the Iphone since it didn't offer enough storage (I had an ipod Touch) and I knew a new one was gonna be coming in June/July or so.

Iphone get :D Finally! (I hate not being able to access the internet anywhere!)

Baryn

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
WTF, that was random! I've been holding off on the Iphone since it didn't offer enough storage (I had an ipod Touch) and I knew a new one was gonna be coming in June/July or so.

Iphone get :D Finally! (I hate not being able to access the internet anywhere!)
:sigh at the reality, :lol at "Iphone"...

DaCocoBrova said:
No. Really, you don't.

I'm happy I didn't drop the dough on a 8 GB, since there will obviously be a bigger capacity down the road after the 16 GB; I will hit that with fierceness when it drops.

theBishop said:
You guys that have the iPhone: how much is your monthly bill? It seems like the price of the phone is probably insignificant compared to that.

My bill is not that bad. I am on family talk with my mom and brother so it was just $20.00 on top of what I was paying to get the unlimited data plan and like 200 texts or something. I am regretting not going unlimited texts though...

Baryn said:
A ridiculous percentage, (close to 50%), of the iPhone sales are pure profit.

Enjoy your $500, 56k-equivalent speed phone whores.

Which doesn't have Adobe Flash Player! Or cut and paste!

OS X is the worst smartphone OS out there. I'd take WinMo over it any day, not that Apple is suffering because of their mediocrity.

edit: I forgot to give a tremendous fuck you to the neophytes who know nothing about technology, and still picked up an iPhone, supporting Apple when it ships a product half finished.

Hell hath no fury like a nerd scorned.

Can't wait for the iPhone to hit Switzerland :p

They're still not selling the updated models in the UK. So people are going to go and buy the current models without knowing about the newer ones coming, thanks Apple.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MassiveAttack said:
Please explain why a 3G iPhone would cost $799. Apple is already 4 years behind the curve on implementing UMTS 2100 for Europe. It's old news and very old technology.
It won't be that much...but that's what it will feel like.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Baryn said:
A ridiculous percentage, (close to 50%), of the iPhone sales are pure profit.

Enjoy your $500, 56k-equivalent speed phone whores.

Which doesn't have Adobe Flash Player! Or cut and paste!

OS X is the worst smartphone OS out there. I'd take WinMo over it any day, not that Apple is suffering because of their mediocrity.

edit: I forgot to give a tremendous fuck you to the neophytes who know nothing about technology, and still picked up an iPhone, supporting Apple when it ships a product half finished.

Dude, you need to get laid.

A man, woman..donkey. I don't care. But you need to let loose some juice cuz you're far too bitter over something so trivial.

I luv my 8GB iPhone btw.

theBishop said:
You guys that have the iPhone: how much is your monthly bill? It seems like the price of the phone is probably insignificant compared to that.

Always between $70 - $75.00

RubxQub said:
It won't be that much...but that's what it will feel like.

You're right - somehow Apple will find a way to make 3G seem like a bleeding-edge technology that is worth paying out the nose for. :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
From an IT standpoint my only current annoyance is the lack of true Exchange support. No fucking IMAP support doesn't count. I'm tired of my users coming to me asking me when the damn thing will support Exchange Direct Push.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MassiveAttack said:
You're right - somehow Apple will find a way to make 3G seem like a bleeding-edge technology that is worth paying out the nose for. :lol
My massive gripe is mainly due to the fact that I used to have a 3G phone and ever since I've lost it (need to use a blackberry for work), I've missed the fuck out of it.

Not including 3G in a supposed bleeding edge product seems like a major oversight.

G4life98

The Faceless Master said:
it's sad that they got a 32GB flash based player out in the USA before anyone else

the 32GB creative zen came out a little before christmas

or did you mean in B&M stores?

MassiveAttack said:
Please explain why a 3G iPhone would cost $799. Apple is already 4 years behind the curve on implementing 2100 MHz for Europe. It's old news and very old technology.

The same reason why the original 8GB model launched at $599 - $$$$

Apple can launch a product at an elevated price with the guarantee that tons of fans will jump on board. Once the wave of early adopters latch on, they'll reduce the price until it's to the point where it's treading the margin between average consumer item and luxury item. At every step of the way they enjoy very healthy profit margins while being able to breed a new line of Apple loyalists because it's "sexy" and "exclusive".

Forgotten Ancient said:
The same reason why the original 8GB model launched at $599 - $$$$

Apple can launch a product at an elevated price with the guarantee that tons of fans will jump on board. Once the wave of early adopters latch on, they'll reduce the price until it's to the point where it's treading the margin between average consumer item and luxury item. At every step of the way they enjoy very healthy profit margins while being able to breed a new line of Apple loyalists because it's "sexy" and "exclusive".

3g is already a common technology, whilst the original iphone was "completely" different in terms of phones already out, and in apples cataloge. The iPhone also combined more than one new element to the phone hence its expensive tag.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
DaCocoBrova said:
Dude, you need to get laid.

A man, woman..donkey. I don't care. But you need to let loose some juice cuz you're far too bitter over something so trivial.

I luv my 8GB iPhone btw.

Haha, thanks for posting this; if it wasn't you it was going to be me

The iPod touch is in most ways the polar opposite of what I'm looking for in a portable media device, so I have zero interest in getting one. But it's nice to see flash-based players finally getting into the store-a-seriously-extensive-music-library capacity range. Maybe by the time my X5 dies I'll be able to replace it with a 64GB flash Cowon or Sandisk unit that doesn't cost a fortune.

32GB, now that's more like it. Keep bringing those flash prices down, Apple. Now all they need to do is add Wifi podcast syncing and i might be interested.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
DarienA said:
From an IT standpoint my only current annoyance is the lack of true Exchange support. No fucking IMAP support doesn't count. I'm tired of my users coming to me asking me when the damn thing will support Exchange Direct Push.

Other than personal folders, what's wrong w/ Outlook Web Access on the iPhone? I use it daily. It's not perfect, but what is?

aoi tsuki

maynerd said:
This upgrade is nice but for $100...meh

I will wait for 3G + more capacity.
The pricing is in line with the 4GB/8GB pricing of a hundred dollars more for twice the capacity.

We all expected it, but i'm shocked there weren't more ramblings of when it was coming.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
theBishop said:
My wife and I both got iPhones, went with a Family plan with the lowest minutes (like 550) so the bill comes to just over $100 a month. A new 16GB iPhone would still basically be 5 months worth of phone bills, so it's nothing to scoff at.

DarienA said:
I was getting a little excited when IBM was making noises about a Lotus Notes client but it looks like that's been delayed. I'd think Exchange support wouldn't be far behind if IBM was already working with Apple.

xaosslug

finally, an iPod touch with a reasonable storage capacity has arrived. I'll be all over it when I either have the funds or it comes down to 300$, whichever comes first.

maynerd

Banned
After thinking about it for a little bit....I bought my iphone right after macworld. I fell kinda shafted on this news. :p Anyways... I believe i'm still in the 30 day return period with a 10% restocking fee. Should I do the upgrade folks? Guide me gaf!

theBishop said:

i pay about 90/month before taxes. i dont even open the bill anymore :(

Salmonax

kaching said:
I was getting a little excited when IBM was making noises about a Lotus Notes client but it looks like that's been delayed. I'd think Exchange support wouldn't be far behind if IBM was already working with Apple.
I think Apple just has to license Exchange Activesync, but how little do you think they want to share any iPhone profits with Microsoft?

DarienA

DaCocoBrova said:
Other than personal folders, what's wrong w/ Outlook Web Access on the iPhone? I use it daily. It's not perfect, but what is?

Screw outlook web access, (most web phones can access that) my users want the full sync functionality given to them via Exchange Direct Push.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
DaCocoBrova said:

Try using a Blackberry and getting back to us.

DarienA

shantyman said:
Try using a Blackberry and getting back to us.

Pretty much, it's the realtime sync of calendar, mail, contacts etc that my users are looking for on their iPhones.

So I'll be glad when it finally happens so they can stop whining.

Hero

32GB Touch is what I want, but not for 500 dollars. 400 and I might bite, 300 and I would definitely bite.

DarienA

kaching said:
Professional curiousity. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds.

Oh no, no I didn't mean it like that... let's see we're a company of about 75 folks, so maybe 1% percent of them have iPhones... but they are a loud whining 1% ;)

I've got money set aside ready to buy an iPhone and jump to AT&T but I just can't do it yet. I told myself I'd wait for the second revision, but this to me feels more like a baby step than a real second revision. Had it been 32gig, maybe I would have caved but I just can't do it yet for only 8 more gigs. Come on 32gig + 3G! I've got money ready to give you Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom