• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Announces 16GB iPhone and 32GB iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worm_Buffet said:
Hell hath no fury like a nerd scorned.

Can't wait for the iPhone to hit Switzerland :p

Indeed.

The iPhone does what I want it to and I'm happy with it.

Although some 802.1x support and voice dialing would be welcome. :D

Still, if I'm out and about it's handy for maps and restaurants.

32GB iPod touch would be a nice replacement for my old 30GB iPod (lol)photo, but not $499 nice. :X

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
FINALLY! A 32gb ipod touch, time for an upgrade from my old 32gb 3rd gen ipod! I think its 32, i dont remember :lol

maynerd

Banned
OH MAN! I just checked out the return policy and found out it is 14 days. Man this is DIRTY of Apple to do this. They knew there would be a surge of purchases of the iphone after the non-announcement at macworld then they release this new version outside of the 14 day window for returns. That is DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarienA said:
Oh no, no I didn't mean it like that... let's see we're a company of about 75 folks, so maybe 1% percent of them have iPhones... but they are a loud whining 1% ;)
Thanks. I'm in enterprise appdev, so I'm wondering whether there's any merit to pursuing iphone specific development when the SDK is available. I'm working with a much larger organization and we've yet to get any real pressure to support the iPhone.

Marty Chinn said:
I've got money set aside ready to buy an iPhone and jump to AT&T but I just can't do it yet. I told myself I'd wait for the second revision, but this to me feels more like a baby step than a real second revision. Had it been 32gig, maybe I would have caved but I just can't do it yet for only 8 more gigs. Come on 32gig + 3G! I've got money ready to give you Apple.
I think I'd wait for the rev that has more storage + 3G + GPS.

yayaba

You guys that have the iPhone: how much is your monthly bill? It seems like the price of the phone is probably insignificant compared to that.

How is it going to be any different? The cheapest AT&T voice plan is $40. The cheapest AT&T data plan is $20. $40+$20 and you get $60 for the cheapest plan.

$20 for data is actually pretty good considering they charge $30+ for their PDA data plans.

Geez, EDGE is NOT THAT BAD. I don't get why so many people harp on it. Yes I love 3g too and use it to tether to my laptop and it flies but edge isn't that bad. I might not even upgrade my iPhone to 3g when it comes out... might wait for the revision after that, I'll see.

My 8gig iPhone is more than enough for me. I still have 2gigs free on it.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Edge isn't that bad, but it's performance is rather erratic.

Dilbert

DarienA said:
Oh no, no I didn't mean it like that... let's see we're a company of about 75 folks, so maybe 1% percent of them have iPhones... but they are a loud whining 1% ;)
So 0.75 people bought an iPhone at your company? Apple must be rounding their sales figures up...

;)

I feel a bit irked that I could've had the 32 GB if I had waited a month but I have most of the songs I want and about 10 movies with like 7 GBs to spare.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DaCocoBrova said:
Yeah, I'm happy enough with the data performance I get when the signal is good for Edge, I'd just like to see that happening more consistently. I wouldn't use it for streaming video, but streaming audio works fine over a good strength Edge signal.

And, honestly, I don't know that I really care to pay more than $20/mo for a mobile data plan right now anyway. 3G would certainly increase to at least $30-40/mo.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DaCocoBrova said:

After you've had a 3G device and regularly used it to stream movies and music from your home server, or TV via your sling box, you may never want an edge only device again.

Crap I mean 10% jinx! ;)

subrock

biggkidd32 said:
Are you serious? This is flash memory were talking about. Maybe in one year or two for that price.
didnt say I wasnt going to wait.30 gigs is just too close to the edge for me. fucking hate it when itunes cant figure out what to do when your library gets too large.

acksman

kaching said:
Thanks. I'm in enterprise appdev, so I'm wondering whether there's any merit to pursuing iphone specific development when the SDK is available. I'm working with a much larger organization and we've yet to get any real pressure to support the iPhone.

I may want to talk to you if you pursue this. We are about a 50/50 pc/mac shop and our iPhone user list is growing daily. If we can get a SDK app that can support Exchange in some fashion it would make our lives easier.

I still can't believe all of those users gladly gave up their BB support for the iPhone, but its all about the gadgets and the ones that are mainly moving to iPhones are the higher ups, which makes it hard to say no to when they want support.

subrock said:
didnt say I wasnt going to wait.30 gigs is just too close to the edge for me. fucking hate it when itunes cant figure out what to do when your library gets too large.
Apple really has to re-engineering iTunes, though. It has become a bloated mess ever since version 7.0.

hoverX

Where are the 16 and 32 GB Nano's you bitches?

We still don't have the iPhone in Canada but i'm happy with my htc s621.

edge is alright for me. I usually get really good speeds everywhere but my office, where even my phone doesn't get service most of the time.

flsh

Banned
Just saw this. This is a bit annoying and alarming.
I bought the iPod touch when it launched because it was very cool and I needed a new iPod since mine died some time earlier. If I weren't in New York at the time I would have gotten the classic because 16GB wasn't nearly enough for my (80GB) library.
Now apple is doing something spectacular by doubling the capacity, but instead of killing of the 8GB and lowering the price of the 16GB to have a 400$ 32GB, they charge 500$?

I really hoped to sell my touch when a 64GB (or more) version came along. Now I fear they will cost 500$ which is simply too much for how much it's worth.
Apple better release higher capacities next fall for decent prices.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really want the 32GB iPod Touch, but FUUUUUCK at the price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom