• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Aiii

So not worth it
The Netflix app has been updated with HDR compatibility (you need the premium subscription for HDR content)

About time, though Apple neglected to officially come out and support HDR10 and Dolby Vision before the new iPhone anouncement, wonder what the reasoning behind that was.

Either way, good to finally have it.

Blackhead

Redarse
You can watch Youtube PiP with this bookmark. When on a Youtube video, just click that bookmark and it will pop out the video.
I was at a store to check out the new stuff and two Apple employees completely failed to demonstrate the new iPad multitasking features. Couldn't even show off PiP (they really should add a trial Netflix on the demo units). Don't even blame them as it's mad confusing. Eventually told me to wait for their iPad expert but he was taking so long helping another customer so I left. I'll have to go back and try this bookmark thanks

Would the new ipad plus 12.9 be relatively up to date for a few years? How does it compare to the new phones? Use android phones but it'd be nice to have tablet versions of Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea, and the like and the Surface Pro tablet versions are rare.

Would the new ipad plus 12.9 be relatively up to date for a few years? How does it compare to the new phones? Use android phones but it'd be nice to have tablet versions of Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea, and the like and the Surface Pro tablet versions are rare.

The new iPad Pros are beastly, they’re not getting out of date for a good while

Firebrand

Eyeing the iPad Pro. Is 64GB going to be a pain you think? I only intend to use it for art apps, streaming and browsing, not carrying around media files on. Occasional game possibly, but no need to have them all downloaded at once.

jts

...hate me...
Eyeing the iPad Pro. Is 64GB going to be a pain you think? I only intend to use it for art apps, streaming and browsing, not carrying around media files on. Occasional game possibly, but no need to have them all downloaded at once.
Took up on the 64GB, no regrets, though I use iCloud a lot. Of course the more storage the better, but keeping a relatively lean approach has its own benefits.

It's not that lean either. 64GB really is decent storage. Not so long ago it was the top storage tier. Now it's the base. It's nice to take advantage of it and save a few pennies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Got the 10.5 over the weekend. I jumped from an ancient iPad Mini 1, so you can imagine how surreal this screen and performance bump is for me.

Had a long internal debate over 256 vs 64gb. I play so few games and apps, while internet, email, books, and now comics(thanks marvel sale) are my primary use, but those comics can be a real hog if allowed. Ended up just getting the 64gb though as I really don’t need my entire collection downloaded at any given time.

Really need to invest in the USBc cable and power adapter next though, this thing charges so slowly on the included stuff.

strata8

I picked up a 10.5 over the weekend with the pen, and for a while I was seriously considering returning it. The only tablet I've ever had before this is a Surface 2, and in comparison the iPad felt incredibly unwieldy - I'm used to the kickstand so having to hold it up got old super quickly, and I'd always be running to my computer because I'd need a keyboard for some reason or another. But purchasing the Smart Keyboard seriously changed everything. I've given it a lot of shit in the past for looking stupid, but having actually tried it in person it's really clever in how it's able to prop up the iPad in multiple positions. The way it magnetically locks together means it's surprisingly stable on my lap too, possibly more so than the Surface was. And it's light, combined I think they're only slightly heavier than the Surface tablet alone.

I reckon it's still too restrictive in many ways, but with Apple opening things up a little in iOS 11 that's more on the app developers now. Though there are still some problems in the native apps, eg, I wasn't able to save a video someone sent me (Google Drive link) and import it into iMovie - little stuff like that. And apps are a little bit too basic for my liking, I really wish there were things like Image Composite Editor (free panorama stitcher) and XnView/Irfanview etc. The iPad Pro is clearly super powerful, and the pen makes accurate manipulation possible, but it's a shame there's not much to take advantage of that.

Otherwise it's super fast, the pen is awesome, the screen is amazing, battery life is incredible, and most importantly it feels stable. That's the real kicker here, I like Windows and would love a newer Surface but there's so much shit that crops up in comparison.

Apple has a 14 day return policy and I've had it for less than a week, so we'll see - I'm gonna take it away with me over the weekend to try it out. But I think it could be a keeper.

I feel like I checked best buy a few days ago and there was a huge discount on the newer ipad pros and now they're back to full price ;-;

Never the less if I pick one up soon are they worth jailbreaking? I haven't owned an apple product in many years but I want to wait for the next Surface Pro refresh to replace my SP2 but need something now that can handle basic word processing while remaining equally portable.

Blackhead

Redarse
I feel like I checked best buy a few days ago and there was a huge discount on the newer ipad pros and now they're back to full price ;-;

Never the less if I pick one up soon are they worth jailbreaking? I haven't owned an apple product in many years but I want to wait for the next Surface Pro refresh to replace my SP2 but need something now that can handle basic word processing while remaining equally portable.
Yes, they're worth jailbreaking, but No, you can't jailbreak them

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Does anyone know if I can use an SD card to up the capacity of a 64 GB iPad pro?

I was thinking about buying a pro for on the go video editing and the 64gb are cheap. I know it probably couldn't hold many 4k recordings at that amount but I figured maybe I could use an SD card for all the videos and just run the editing program to pull from that.

Not sure how it works and I can't find anything on Google so any help is appreciated!!

Blackhead

Redarse
Does anyone know if I can use an SD card to up the capacity of a 64 GB iPad pro?

I was thinking about buying a pro for on the go video editing and the 64gb are cheap. I know it probably couldn't hold many 4k recordings at that amount but I figured maybe I could use an SD card for all the videos and just run the editing program to pull from that.

Not sure how it works and I can't find anything on Google so any help is appreciated!!
Simple answer is No. Apple sells an official Lightning to SD Card reader but it only allows import of photos and videos to the iPad yet not export back to the SD card (by the way, this would be one of those worthwhile reasons to jailbreak...). iMovie won't pull directly from the SD card either; you'll have to import first to Photos app.

The more complicated answer is yes? If you buy a third party SD card reader, you can use a third party app to export photos and videos back to the SD card app. However you'd still have to manually manage as all the transfers. And it's not a flexible export workflow if you decide to use another editing app like TouchEdit or LumaFusion...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Simple answer is No. Apple sells an official Lightning to SD Card reader but it only allows import of photos and videos to the iPad yet not export back to the SD card (by the way, this would be one of those worthwhile reasons to jailbreak...). iMovie won't pull directly from the SD card either; you'll have to import first to Photos app.

The more complicated answer is yes? If you buy a third party SD card reader, you can use a third party app to export photos and videos back to the SD card app. However you'd still have to manually manage as all the transfers. And it's not a flexible export workflow if you decide to use another editing app like TouchEdit or LumaFusion...

whats the best way to transfer video to and from the ipad pro then? What about a wireless HD? Or is iCloud the best solution maybe? Thanks for your help!

Blackhead

Redarse
whats the best way to transfer video to and from the ipad pro then? What about a wireless HD? Or is iCloud the best solution maybe? Thanks for your help!

tbh just pony up for the 256GB. If that's not enough space then forget the iPad and go with a Macbook/Surface/etc. iCloud is the solution that iOS is designed for but it's not a good solution, nevermind the 'best', if your primary use of the iPad is on the go. if you really really want to transfer video to and from an iPad on the go, then I'd suggest skipping the iOS SD card adapters or wireless HDs and instead looking for a tiny PC, with a USB 3 port, that comfortably runs iTunes. won't be cheap though

Deku Tree

Cloud storage, doesn’t have to be iCloud. Wireless HD. Lightening thumb drive. Plug into your Mac. Take your pick.

I have a phone charger at my desk at work. When I plug my iPad pro 10.5 into it, it says "not charging" obviously its not enough to charge it but can I leave it plugged in like that? will it be neutral and not lose a charge at least?

is this damaging to use a lower power adapter on my ipad ?

I can't find much online about leaving it plugged in.

If anyone knows I appreciate it.

Firebrand

Took up on the 64GB, no regrets, though I use iCloud a lot. Of course the more storage the better, but keeping a relatively lean approach has its own benefits.

It's not that lean either. 64GB really is decent storage. Not so long ago it was the top storage tier. Now it's the base. It's nice to take advantage of it and save a few pennies.

Yeah, I run the 64GB on both iPhone and iPad and it's more than enough for me. I stream basically everything though.

Haven’t even filled half of it tbh. That streaming and cloud life.

Decided to go for the 12.9 64GB. Size seems right for drawing, seems like an awesome device so far.

The surface doesn't feel uniformly smooth though? Some sections feel more rugged where it even makes a bit of sound, while in other spots it feels more slippery though a bit wax pencil like.

edit: Also seeing some ripple when applying enough pressure on the pencil to achieve max effect in Procreate, which is not particularly hard.

M.D

Got an Ipad Pro yesterday (10.5, 64GB LTE, Silver)

It's my first Apple product and my first tablet and I'm really enjoying it
I bought mainly for school since I want to use it for taking notes/doing homework and I'm looking to buy the Apple Pencil but I wanted to ask are they expected to announce a new version anytime soon and is it expected to be a major upgrade?

Also, could someone please recommend a good stand, case and screen protector?

Thanks

Edit: Should I upgrade to IOS 11 or are there any issues with it?

I bought mainly for school since I want to use it for taking notes/doing homework and I'm looking to buy the Apple Pencil but I wanted to ask are they expected to announce a new version anytime soon and is it expected to be a major upgrade?

Thanks

The Pencil is great and there’s no news of an update coming soon

And I say update to 11. It’s glitchy but the iPad is powerful enough to handle it and the multitasking stuff is great, especially for class

Shearie

Thanks

If you have an iPad without iOS 11, you’re a bad person. It’s soooooo much better than what came before.

Is the Apple keyboard the best one for the 12.9? Want to make sure before I spend a billion dollars on one.

The Smart Keyboard is the best for any size iPad Pro.

I have a phone charger at my desk at work. When I plug my iPad pro 10.5 into it, it says "not charging" obviously its not enough to charge it but can I leave it plugged in like that? will it be neutral and not lose a charge at least?

is this damaging to use a lower power adapter on my ipad ?

I can't find much online about leaving it plugged in.

If anyone knows I appreciate it.

As far as I know, only downside to what you’re doing is that it will take for ever to charge that iPad. In fact from what I’ve read, it’s good to charge any lithium ion batteries in a slower way which makes them last longer in terms of life span. So I think you are good to go, as long as you are okay with it takes hours to attain a complete charge.

Please do correct me if I’m wrong. I’d like to know as well.

Aiii

So not worth it
Loving HDR so far, but I am watching ST Discovery on Netflix with Dolby Vision and boy does the film grain ruin the effect. It becomes so noticable and it’s just so distracting. What a shame. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That feeling when you find out the screen on your iPad broke somehow. :(

That feeling when you look up the costs and a replacement screen costs $599 :(

That feel when you find out you bought Applecare+ but had forgotten about it. Thanks 2 years ago me! The Applecare+ was going to run out in less than a month too.

M.D

The Pencil is great and there’s no news of an update coming soon

And I say update to 11. It’s glitchy but the iPad is powerful enough to handle it and the multitasking stuff is great, especially for class

If you have an iPad without iOS 11, you’re a bad person. It’s soooooo much better than what came before.

The Smart Keyboard is the best for any size iPad Pro.

I'm holding off on iOS 11 because I got this iPad for school and I don't want to deal with any potential bugs or problems that it seems to be causing

I took my iPad to the store today and they applied the screen protector I bought and later on I noticed there's little piece of dust or dirt or whatever it is caught underneath but it's very noticeable and bugging me

Is there any magic trick to clean it without taking the whole damn thing off? X_X

Top Bottom