• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Receives FCC Approval for Unreleased MacBook Pro [Updated]

CyberPanda

Banned
Apple this week received FCC approval for an unreleased MacBook Pro with a model number of A2159, which is one of the model numbers that was recently registered with the Eurasian Economic Commission.

In the FCC documentation, Apple specifies that the unreleased A2159 machine is a MacBook Pro, which is curious as the MacBook Pro already received a 2019 refresh in May.

macbookpronotouchbar-800x475.jpg

A2159 is a model that was not included in the May update, and it's not entirely clear what it is. As a Reddit user points out, the back of the machine says that it's rated at 20.3V - 3A Max, which is equivalent to 61W, perhaps suggesting a refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro.

fccdocumentation-800x405.jpg

There's a possibility that Apple is planning to launch an updated 13-inch MacBook Pro without a Touch Bar, which is one of the machines that did not receive a May update. The non-Touch Bar 13-inch MacBook Pro has not seen a refresh since 2017.

Apple is also said to be developing a 16-inch MacBook Pro that features a new design and larger display perhaps enabled through slimmer bezels, though it's not clear if that is the machine outlined in the FCC document given the power information specified.

16inchmacbookprorender-800x722.jpg

A mockup of what a 16-inch MacBook Pro might look like

FCC approvals tend to be published right when a new machine launches, so we could see the A2159 MacBook Pro model quite soon.

Update: The FCC has pulled all of the documentation on the new A2159 machine.

God Enel

Have to buy a new MBP at some point next year. My MBP is from 2010 and I don't like to use my MBP that I got from work for personal use - even though I'm doing it.

I want a complete refresh though. I'm not a big fan of the keyboard and the touchbar. Hitting so many times escape when I don't want it..

They should come up with something else imho.

CyberPanda

Banned
Have to buy a new MBP at some point next year. My MBP is from 2010 and I don't like to use my MBP that I got from work for personal use - even though I'm doing it.

I want a complete refresh though. I'm not a big fan of the keyboard and the touchbar. Hitting so many times escape when I don't want it..

They should come up with something else imho.

Bookmark this site, they always update any rumours or upcoming news related to MacBook Pro's. Cheers.

God Enel

daveonezero

Banned
Well, there are rumours they're gonna go to ARM Processors.
That'd Be cool. Then we don't have the security flaws and performance lose. I'd also like to be able to boot to Linux.

A MBP without a Touch Bar and an Arm processor that lets me boot to Linux would make me immediately ditch my 2018 MBA. or hell Apple could let me boot by adding certificates to the T2 chip. smh.

Last edited:
I'd prefer if they would make a thicker design. Better keyboard travel, more room for cooling. At this rate the keyboard travel is so bad they might as well make the entire underside a touchbar sort of like the new zenbook. But just do it with the entire thing.

CyberPanda

Banned
That'd Be cool. Then we don't have the security flaws and performance loose. I'd also like to be able to boot to Linux.

A MBP without a Touch Bar and an Arm processor that lets me boot to Linux would make me immediately ditch my 2018 MBA. or hell Apple could let me boot by adding certificates to the T2 chip. smh.

Top Bottom