• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple releasing first Public Betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibu

Did anyone's Location Services get messed up during the course of this beta? Mine worked fine in beta's 1 & 2, then progressively the Locations services and GPS just flat out stopped working. The accuracy is always way off the mark now.

snack

My phone lags a little when turning off data and going back to the main menu. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Mafro

Sierra has fixed the problem I had with Safari regularly hanging and crashing on certain sites. I somehow manage to get an extra 20GB of HD space without doing anything at all which is nice. Desktop Siri is really useful too.

Unlike El Capitan, it isn't reading my NTFS USB HDD at all and I had to install a driver to sort that.

Bit the bullet and installed the macOS Sierra GM.

So far so good!

It's a pretty modest update for the most part but it's a solid one. With Siri out of the way, there's not a lot in the way of low-hanging fruit for macOS updates - but I suppose that's one more reason to add the OLED bar and TouchID on the MacBook Pro (and presumably other future Macs).

They can always get rid of cruft like the Dashboard, iTunes, and (lol) Launchpad next, I suppose. Maybe introduce a Lock Screen and Control Center, I guess?

hirokazu

It's a pretty modest update for the most part but it's a solid one. With Siri out of the way, there's not a lot in the way of low-hanging fruit for macOS updates - but I suppose that's one more reason to add the OLED bar and TouchID on the MacBook Pro (and presumably other future Macs).
I feel like macOS is always the afterthought now. Messages got a huge update on iOS. The Mac got half of it. Maps got a huge update on iOS. The Mac update is half-baked and not well thought out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Raise to wake seems to need fairly gross movements to turn on, and after timing out when vertical it doesn't seem to enable again with jiggling (to simulate pocket action). So it probably doesn't wake when walking

It's a good feature but I hope they tweak it. I'd like to be able to tap the screen to wake it, or wake from smaller movements like a small tilt when I just want to check the time or a notification.

ramyeon

Raise to wake seems to need fairly gross movements to turn on, and after timing out when vertical it doesn't seem to enable again with jiggling (to simulate pocket action). So it probably doesn't wake when walking

It's a good feature but I hope they tweak it. I'd like to be able to tap the screen to wake it, or wake from smaller movements like a small tilt when I just want to check the time or a notification.
I don't know, it works pretty flawlessly for me. Especially when pick it off my desk at work to check notifications.

Anyone using the IOS10 GM in Japan? I am wondering about the feature that lets third party app calls appear as normal phone calls...I have LINE but it hasn't changed at all when a person calls me--it's still a normal app notification, not a phone call.

KtSlime

Anyone using the IOS10 GM in Japan? I am wondering about the feature that lets third party app calls appear as normal phone calls...I have LINE but it hasn't changed at all when a person calls me--it's still a normal app notification notification, not a phone call.

We are not going to see any changes until Apple starts accepting apps built for iOS10 probably sometime next week. Shouldn't be long until LINE gets the feature, it stays really up to date with near weekly updates.

BTW Japanese Maps still don't have transit data.

I am hoping the new FeliCa support includes pasmo with 定期, but I'm sure it won't *sigh*

We are not going to see any changes until Apple starts accepting apps built for iOS10 probably sometime next week. Shouldn't be long until LINE gets the feature, it stays really up to date with near weekly updates.

BTW Japanese Maps still don't have transit data.

I am hoping the new FeliCa support includes pasmo with 定期, but I'm sure it won't *sigh*

Cool, thanks for the info. As an Apple Watch owner I'm quite dissapointed that my watch won't support FeliCa, but...oh well. Using the watch as a Suica payment seems way better than the phone (which I have pre-ordered) but I don't feel like dishing out the cash to upgrade my watch.

TimFL

Oh - apparently no public beta for watch OS 3? So that was a waste of time then :p

You can get the developer profile. AFAIK there are a few sites that host them. Simply uninstall it via the watch app once you've initiated the GM download (that's what I did), works like a charm.

Is there any way to sort songs in the music app by song title and not artist name?

It's so stupid that it sorts songs by artist when there's already an artist tab.

wolf73

can you not turn on airplay without turning on mirroring any more?

You can, to get the non-mirroring airplay functionality you have to start the content on your iOS device, go to control center then swipe over to where the music would be and start airplay from there. Really unintuitive.

If you're trying to turn on airplay audio you'll want to do it from the second control center panel

You can, to get the non-mirroring airplay functionality you have to start the content on your iOS device, go to control center then swipe over to where the music would be and start airplay from there. Really unintuitive.

for showing Photos on the Apple TV, I usually just use the non-mirroring. Seems like this doesn't exist in CC any more. In Photos, I can hit the Share button, then Airplay and that does the same thing.
Not sure why they took it out of CC.

KtSlime

Thanks. Why they have it on artist by default I'll never know:/

The new Music App is full of stupid things like that. Not only is it ugly, drab and poorly layed out, but it is also in your face with everything being twice the size as needed. They got rid of useful features like seeing previously played songs, and seeing most popular by genre, and at least on iPad and iTunes any title that is moderately long gets clipped off, which means you have to go into the playlist to see the full title, of course you also have to be clear at the top, because instead of doing the reasonable thing and having the title in title bar they shoved it somewhere else.

Abdozer

Sorry if this has been posted before but how will the final release work for those who are already using the GM version? Will we be prompted to install another update or something?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I just installed GM today from iOS 9, and I have a gif search app preinstalled in iMessage.

Fine here!

Mine too! I have a regular 6 if that matters...

Whaaaat? It's gone on my fiancées and my iOS devices (4 in total)...why would it be gone on some and not on others :/?
Reddit post about it https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/520zv0/ios_10_beta_gif_search_gone_in_imessage/
Edit: sorry for the double post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom