• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple releasing first Public Betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra today

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Well this sucks clean install + Safari 10 on youtube 60fps content = frame drops like crazy on rMBP.

No issues on El Capitan and it's safari. So, looks like Apple fucked up or Youtube's html5 video implementation is fucking up somehow on new Safari.

Well this sucks clean install + Safari 10 on youtube 60fps content = frame drops like crazy on rMBP.

No issues on El Capitan and it's safari. So, looks like Apple fucked up or Youtube's html5 video implementation is fucking up somehow on new Safari.

Check the Activity Monitor, the frame drops could be CPU-related. Spotlight is probably indexing, etc.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I actually switched to the Technology Preview months ago when Safari was acting like shit on a lot of sites. Try installing that (it gets its own settings so you don't have to worry about it damaging your current install. And you can uninstall or switch between them at will it you need to.) and see if it runs better.

I don't know when I'll ever switch back to Safari proper. I haven't even tested it in a while. I do hate that clicking a web site notification opens Safari instead of my default browser though. I wish I could fix that. I mean the notification settings are global so it just needs to be fixed to open the default instead of Safari.

mrkgoo

When you download Sierra and open it does it just update or can you choose to do a clean install? I've been wanting to reformat my iMac for a while to get rid of the Windows partition I put on it and NEVER use, and just speed it up in general because for some reason it take FOREVER to start up despite being relatively new (late 2012).

Just a note for slow startups - got to System preferences->Startup disk. It SHOULD have listed under the window of all options: "You have selected OS X, 10.x.x on the dis "YOUR HD". If it doesn't, then select your main start up disk and restart.

Sometimes slow boot times are attributed to a startup disk not being selected. It will then hunt things like network and other mounted disks and find the "closest" one to boot to. This is usually still fast, but sometimes depending on your setup, it can cause delays.

IF you want to be super thorough, reset PRAM before doing the above (resting PRAM will actually reset the startup disk to be unselected, so the above tip is for anyone who has actually reset PRAM as well).

edit: Is there an OT for Sierra?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Check the Activity Monitor, the frame drops could be CPU-related. Spotlight is probably indexing, etc.

Nope, it's highest end quad core i7, 16GB Mem, 512GB SSD, etc. Indexing already completed.

On El Capitan and older Safari = no dropped frames in 60fps video.

Frame_Drops.png

I actually switched to the Technology Preview months ago when Safari was acting like shit on a lot of sites. Try installing that (it gets its own settings so you don't have to worry about it damaging your current install. And you can uninstall or switch between them at will it you need to.) and see if it runs better.

I don't know when I'll ever switch back to Safari proper. I haven't even tested it in a while. I do hate that clicking a web site notification opens Safari instead of my default browser though. I wish I could fix that. I mean the notification settings are global so it just needs to be fixed to open the default instead of Safari.

Can you check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qK7SNAd1ds right mouse click on video enable stats for nerds and take screen cap? I know it's a slightly newer build so I'd love to know if Apple have already fixed this. Don't want to install it if it has the same issue.

Setting "Default web browser" in System Preferences -> General doesn't work for notification links?

Sapiens

KingKong

I really hope they're working on a big update for next year because it feels like they've take it as far as it can go and it's starting to feel pretty dated compared to Windows 10

Futureman

I really hope they're working on a big update for next year because it feels like they've take it as far as it can go and it's starting to feel pretty dated compared to Windows 10

Apple just feels stuck since Jobs left. Everything feels like a slight refinement of what came before.

anyone have any issues with 10.12 and Lightroom?

What do you feel is lacking compared to Windows 10? Serious question, I can't say I've kept up with the Windows side lately.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nope, it's highest end quad core i7, 16GB Mem, 512GB SSD, etc. Indexing already completed.

On El Capitan and older Safari = no dropped frames in 60fps video.

Can you check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qK7SNAd1ds right mouse click on video enable stats for nerds and take screen cap? I know it's a slightly newer build so I'd love to know if Apple have already fixed this. Don't want to install it if it has the same issue.
Yeah I've got the same machine and I am getting frame drops here. Though I don't notice them.

Setting "Default web browser" in System Preferences -> General doesn't work for notification links?
Nope. It ignores the setting and launches Safari every time. It's annoying.

Just a note for slow startups - got to System preferences->Startup disk. It SHOULD have listed under the window of all options: "You have selected OS X, 10.x.x on the dis "YOUR HD". If it doesn't, then select your main start up disk and restart.

Sometimes slow boot times are attributed to a startup disk not being selected. It will then hunt things like network and other mounted disks and find the "closest" one to boot to. This is usually still fast, but sometimes depending on your setup, it can cause delays.

IF you want to be super thorough, reset PRAM before doing the above (resting PRAM will actually reset the startup disk to be unselected, so the above tip is for anyone who has actually reset PRAM as well).

edit: Is there an OT for Sierra?

Oooh, thank you for the advice. I took a look and I already have the proper startup disc selected, but I've never heard of the PRAM thing before.

I also discovered that you can erase a partition without having to reformat the entire drive, so I'm gonna try that, then do the PRAM thing if it doesn't help, and if neither of those work I'll make a boot disc of Sierra and do a fresh install.

KingKong

What do you feel is lacking compared to Windows 10? Serious question, I can't say I've kept up with the Windows side lately.

Just the general look and feel. The flat style seems modern and clean compared to OSX

Not that OSX is bad, but its just been iterated on for too long. It doesnt help that the big feature this time is Siri, which seems especially useless on a computer

icespide

Banned
Just the general look and feel. The flat style seems modern and clean compared to OSX

Not that OSX is bad, but its just been iterated on for too long. It doesnt help that the big feature this time is Siri, which seems especially useless on a computer
Isn't Cortana one of the flagship features of windows 10?

I'd like to make a Dolan duck of going to Sierra, coming out, and it was all Siri.

Installing now on my MBA and Mini but reading the feature list, not a single feature interests me. Maybe the picture in picture thing. Mostly just getting it for security updates

Guess Who

Banned
Whaaa? The watch surely doesn't support AC?

It doesn't, but 802.11ac is the only real difference between the WiFi/BT hardware in the Macs that support it versus those that don't, and putting an 802.11ac AirPort card in an incompatible Mac apparently activates the feature, so they must be relying on some hardware feature of that card.

Google / Youtube doesn't get nearly enough flak for never implementing the most useful features of iOS / macOS, really. (in time, that is)

Youtube still doesn't do PiP on the iPad, even though that possibility has been around for a year now.
Similarly, i don't expect them to implement Safari's PiP feature in their player anytime soon.

Having a hovering player window would be such a convenient feature.

You can double-right-click YouTube videos in Safari to activate PiP on Sierra.

Fliesen

Google / Youtube doesn't get nearly enough flak for never implementing the most useful features of iOS / macOS, really. (in time, that is)

Youtube still doesn't do PiP on the iPad, even though that possibility has been around for a year now.
Similarly, i don't expect them to implement Safari's PiP feature in their player anytime soon.

Having a hovering player window would be such a convenient feature.

icespide

Banned
It doesn't, but 802.11ac is the only real difference between the WiFi/BT hardware in the Macs that support it versus those that don't, and putting an 802.11ac AirPort card in an incompatible Mac apparently activates the feature, so they must be relying on some hardware feature of that card.
Interesting. Well guess I'm buying a new MBP! At least it works on my work MBP

Fliesen

You can double-right-click YouTube videos in Safari to activate PiP on Sierra.

haha, what the hell?! you're a saint! thanks!

this is great, works exactly as it does in iOS (except for it scaling seamlessly up to a certain size. You can even "hide it" offscreen)

also, it's kinda funny how the built in "cleanmymac" wants me to delete my iMovie library. (should be whitelisted imho)

also, the macOS sierra page on apple.com says
Easily get rid of duplicate and obsolete files.
macOS Sierra can keep unneeded files from cluttering up your Mac. It prompts you to delete used app installers, and clears out duplicate downloads, caches, logs, and other unnecessary stuff.
any way to manually scan for these duplicates / caches / whatnot?

hirokazu

Still nothing :/
The bug fixes are likely minor enough they're not going to update GM candidates to the final GM. If you're that worried, just download the final GM and install it. Otherwise, relax and wait for 10.12.1 to get the same build. No big deal.

In fact, the same thing happened with El Capitan.

icespide

Banned
watch unlock doesn't work when you manually locked your mac? (not closed lid, or auto lock after a time period)

that pretty much defeats the purpose of the feature entirely for me

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Upgraded to macOS sierra (macbook pro 2011), fuck this shit. So awful, everything is fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom